Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 duramax 4x4 ex cab silverado with 10,345 miles, I have noticed last few times a ticking noise ,worse when cold, but changes with rpm. I just made a 500 mile trip, I had some wind one way , my milage dropped from around 18 to 12 . I was wondering if my injectors could be at fault ? I know the older ones had trouble, but have'nt heard much about the 05s. thanks( I drive 65 on the freeway )

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
they all tick from time to time...not anything to worry about. Bad mileage could be due to winter fuel (in the winter, diesel is mixed with kerosene to keep it from gelling/freezing, bad part is that it has much less BTU output than straight diesel)

--ben

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know the diesels make a little noise ,but this is increaseing from what it was. also have been useing a little power service every fill up this winter. my milage has dropped 6 miles per gal hand figured just recently , and we have had winter blend since oct around here. I think I will take it in and get it checked, but was wondering if someone else had an idea.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
6 miles per gallon? So you cant even go 150 miles on one full tank?? Something isnt right...

·
Registered
370 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
ahhh duh! haha thanks for clearing that up...i didnt read it fully..

·
Registered
111 Posts
There is an ECM software update that eliminates a noise that sounds like pre-ignition pinging in a gas engine. I wonder if that would help with the problems you're having. Even so, I do believe it is worth your time to go to the dealer and ask them to make certain you've got all the newest software running in your truck. It sure made a difference in mine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts