Diesel Place banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi so my 1999 6.5 turbo on a van chassis won't start. It cranks but won't turn over. When I push the peddle there are no revs. When I push it all the way down the "services throttle" message appears. Its weird because the only issue it was having ten minutes before this was stalling. But ran and started easily except occasionally after a stall. So when this happened I assumed it was pmd. I relocated and replaced it, but still having the same issues. Just won't turn over. Only thing we did in between it running and not, was open the engine compartment and look to see how we'd get to the pmd. We did unplug the cigarette lighter, 12v, and two other connectors that Im not sure exactly what they plug into, but they fit in each other, and when I plugged them in the cargo lights(? It's a box truck so the lights on the box that make it more visible at night) turn on. So my guess is that's probably what they are for. I did notice a clearish tube with a black shield that had been severed and when I went to examine it, the tube broke like brittle. It was in the relative area of the pmd, like just behind and a little above it. I don't think we ever got close to actually cause that to break.

Other than that I changed the battery, and I know to check the fuel filter and lift pump. But I'm pretty new to all of this, and don't know exactly how. Is there anything else that could be the issue?

Thanks in advance

· Administrator
22,221 Posts
IF the engine will crank over but not start you will not have any engine revs when pushing the pedal.
There is no throttle cable attached to the Injection pump on a 99'.
It is an electronic ( Fly by wire) control

First, check for any codes and post them here.
Go through all grounds using this link: Grounds-Grounds-Grounds The importance of good grounds.....
Test your lift pump using this link: Reference Material: Lift Pump/OPS

You can find all the go-to information over in the 6.5L FAQ page that is pinned at the top of this forum section.
It also has manuals you can download to your computer
(y)

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay great. Just got a reader too, so I'll post codes and check the grounds and lp. My biggest struggle is really that the truck is stuck in the driveway from the guy I bought it from. It's down an alley way so I can't even get a tow for it... And it's 30 minutes from me so all around a horrible situation. So thanks. And I'll leave more info as I get it.

· Registered
2021 Silverado LTZ 3.0 Duramax, Z71
21 Posts
The throttle connector and the radio connector in the dash are alike. I had them switched once and got the same throttle problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts