Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stripped out the threads on the negative terminal on the passenger's side battery, not on the batter but on the male/bolt parts. Does anyone know the thread size so I can just replace it with a bolt.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Banned
9,366 Posts
You can buy a post adapter for that, Dave ... it's a knurled cylinder (solid) that screws into the battery, extends for 1", and then the cable mounts to that. Gives you a good spot to put jumper cables.

The adapter has a deeper hole in it than the battery; makes it easier to use a regular bolt on the cable.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It's just a 3/8 inch coarse thread. This will fit very sloppy but will get you going until you get a battery bolt. Be careful, the part in the battery is lead (soft) and will come out of the battery very easily if you tighten it very much.

·
Banned
9,366 Posts
Yeah, good point, XCR ... the old NAPA batteries I had (emphasis past) had a steel (I think) nut embedded in the lead post of the battery frame. When I tightened one too much, it sucked the nut right out of the post.

Imagine the look on my face when my cable came off and there was a nut stuck on the bolt, on the inside of the cable connector, and a ragged hole in the terminal side of the battery... I invented words for a while, then went and bought 2 new batteries.

·
Registered
7,443 Posts
If the bolt is to long and you tighten it up, some batteries will push thru and battery acid will come out.:eek:

·
Banned
9,366 Posts
The last 2 posts are why I recommend finding that adapter.

If it's possible to screw something up, I've found the method. When I find something that's idiot-proof, I get all over it, 'cause it protects me from myself.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I'll go look for the proper adaptor today. The terminal is on there for now. I just can't completely tighten it.

Dave

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have not yet tried to install a helicoil (38-16 UNC) insert on an old battery
but that may be the fix for worn threads. I think there is enough depth in the lead terminal to take the full length of the insert, about 3/8".
It is true that if you thread a bolt in to far you will puncture into the acid and then the battery will leak.

Tim H

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
DieselPro;1591788; said:
If the bolt is to long and you tighten it up, some batteries will push thru and battery acid will come out.:eek:
Which is why I used on my mod seen in FAC pics, 3/8" all thread rod and just a pair of pliers to snug up the stud, so you can better tell how snug you are into the battery. The all thread stud engages all the available threads in the battery's boss, and provides a firm platform for the nuts providing clamping force on the battery cable to grab to, I also used brass nuts for a little give in the nuts vs studs torque up.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Went out to Canadian Tire and just bought a direct replacement. They didn't have any sort of extension kits that I could see.

It goes to show you the importance of good battery terminal contact for proper starting. My terminal was on there for not very tight. It would hardly turn over, really struggled. After replacing the bolt and getting it tight, it fired right up.

Dave

·
Registered
382 Posts
I always use a 3/8 by 1 1/2 bolt with an extra nut on it. Just run the nut all the way up bolt to the bolt head. then run bolt through cable end and into the batt good and snug ( barely tighter than hand tight) then you can use the nut to tighten the cable to the batt. Ive done this on every side post batt ive ever used. It works good and it costs about .15 per connection.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts