Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m getting ready to install one of Greg’s Pre-OEM Racor kits (very nice kit), and am wondering what I should use as a thread sealant on all the fittings. The head itself has about 5 fittings, plus I most likely will put a shutoff in the line coming from the fuel tank. I’ve seen a few posts recommending not using Teflon tape (including Greg’s instructions). Is there a liquid sealer that’s best to use on threaded fuel fittings?

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I use the Permatex High Performance thread sealant (purchased at my local NAPA dealer) but there are many compatable w/ diesel fuel.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I INSTALLED W/OUT SEALANT BECAUSE THE BOSS FITTINGS HAVE O RINGS,NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH ANY SIGN OF LEAKS.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Teflon tape is a good sealant but it's not recommended for applications that see vibration (like ours) ... The teflon paste Tommy refered to is prefered. Also for O-Ring fittings, no thread sealant needed as 2500HDING pointed out. I find that Parker Super-O-lube works great on O-rings (per Tommy) - especially in vacuum applications . A little silicone grease is a good substitute.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Loctite PST Thread sealant. That's what I use and never have any problems.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
If I have Teflon tape in the instructions then I will go back and fix it. Teflon tape over a period of time will dissolve. I know it says its OK to use but trust me I have been on the wrench tuning end for 25 years and it will not hold up. Use a good paste from any name brand sealant company.

Greg

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Roegs said:
I’ve seen a few posts recommending not using Teflon tape (including Greg’s instructions).

Thanks for the answers on this.

Greg...I had mentioned that your instructions said not to use Teflon tape.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Permatex 25117 or 59214. These are 10000-psi non-hardening thread sealants suitable for use with any fuel. The only difference is one is for high temp applications.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts