Diesel Place banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoughts on these mods anyone....?

1K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  duramax man 
#1 ·
Ok I've hemmed and Hawwed about this for way to long now. My current plan is to go with a jardine 4" straight pipe system and the preditor programer, both due mostly to cost and good things I've heard about both here on this message board.

I've come to the conclusion that just about all exhaust systems are the same, hence the reason for going with the cheapest 4" systems with a lifetime warranty.

I had previously planned on the edge with attitude, but the problems others have been having with it, along with the fact that it can reprogram for tire size and the cost of the preditor have canged my mind.

I think as long as I keep the preditor at no more than the 65hp tune I should be alright without getting into any god-awful expensive tranny mods to go with it, correct?

I do some serious towing occasionally (18K 5er) so I think just to be safe I should drop the tune down to the 40 hp level?

Any input anyone else may have before I drop the old credit card down?

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like a plan. If you tow that heavy you should definitely throw a pyro gauge in there though, so you know where your exhaust temps are. You don't want to sustain 1250 degrees or higher for a long amount of time. The predator has been known to run a little on the warm side. As long as you keep an eye on the gauge, you will be fine.

#3 ·
Oh I knew I forgot to include something in there. I know I need the pyro gauge, but the combo a pillar mounts with the pyro and boost guage end up costing just as much as the programmer. how important is a boost guage?

#4 ·
A boost gauge (besides fun to watch when you romp on the throttle) let's you know how your turbo is doing. It is not really a necessity for what you are planning to do.

#5 ·
A cheap exhaust could (mine does) have a lot of drown (SP?) (Noise)

#6 ·
duramax man,

WanaDmxsub is right get a system like the MBRP of AFE that has a muffler that is packed with high temp materials, the low priced systems out there have a hollow can muffler and not only does that increase restriction to a small amount they will sound odd and drone to a lot of folks. If price is a concern the AFE systems we stock are VERY price competitive with most anything out there. The Predator is a good choice, just watch the HP or you'll slip the tranny, gauges are really a must and should be included on the truck from GM so be sure to get them with any electronic HP mod.

Check our site for these items we have them all and will be glad to help you on questions and pricing too!! Call us Monday.

Mark @ DPPI

#8 ·
your setup sounds good. be careful with straight pipe it is loud. ecspceically on the interstate when you get that constant droan. i love mine but hate it too lol

#9 ·
Looks good but I wouldn't even expect more than 60k-70k miles on the stock tranny on 65hp !! Sad.......but if you want 14 second trucks or better ........your probably going to have to get the trans done at some point !! Mine is about there at 31k !!

Some guys have stonger trans. but fromreading and my experience........you better save up unless you run a low tune or a Hypertech !!

#11 ·
Sounds good man :ro)

I got a MBRP exhaust and AFE stage II intake. Best bang for the buck for a programmer is the hypertech IMO. Under $300 and 3 stages of power.

I got my 4in turbo back stainless MBRP exhaust shipped for $520.00 with free tip if you want to know where I got it p.m me :D

Oh the stage II is pointless. Just get the stage I the "torque" tube is worthless.

#12 ·
Thanks everyone. I actually went with an AFE exhaust and the preditor. Thanks to David at Horepower Upgrades for the help, plus I'm glad to be supporting a supporting vendor.

#13 ·
How does the AFE sound on the freeway and at idel? I am looking at it and want an exhaust that is like stock on the freeway and at idel. Did you get the turbo back system?

#14 ·
duramax man,

how is the truck with the predator and that exhaust. I am looking at the same thing, still deciding between predator or Westers custom tune though.

#15 ·
Calirider, wilsonck, (& anyone else interested),

Got the exhaust and predator yesterday. Got the exhaust on last night, and will put in the preditor tonight. Here on my initial thoughts on the exhuast.

Installation sucks! The kit came with no instructions for installation (ironically it did have an instruction sheet on how to place the AFE decal that comes with it though). None of the pipes fit together except for the last section, so I had to take a hammer to round the ends of each section. Also I had to bend 2 of the Ubolts so that they would clear the pipe and fit back in the mating connector. The hangers themselves didn't line up as I expected either, and the lack of directions (which usually I'd never read, but would have on this project) caused me to have to guess which hanger goes where incorrectly several times before I got it right. I don't have the last section (tip) on yet because even after torqueing down the clamp to hold it on as much as I could, the section still slips right off. (This was the connection that actually fit together from the factory). I'll try again this afternoon with an impact wrench. Total installation time, just over 5 hours.

As far the performance of the system, I'm absolutely thrilled. At idle the loudness is almost exactly stock, but deeper. Accelerating to 1800 rpm is slightly louder than stock, but again much deeper. 1800-2400 rpm you can really here the system and the turbo whine is really noticeable. I personally wanted more loundness at idle, but it would be an easy swap to throw in a 4" section inplace of the muffler in the future if need be.

Coming down the same road I do every morning and setting the cruise at 50 like always I noticed this morning the instantaneous MPG was bouncing between 19-23 MPG consistantly. Before the system was installed this number would be between 15-18 MPG. Of course I don't expect this 4MPG increase over the average tankfull, it definately seems to pick up significantly while at a stead cruise.

Overall I'm pretty darn pleased with the system, even after all the four letter words last night. For the money it can't be beat. I'd be happy to help someone determine which hangers go where if they purchase the system, whihc would shave about an hour off the install time. Other time saving advise is go ahead and cut the factory system from the get go. I was hell bent on not cutting it, but ended up doing it anyways, wasting another hour or so.

I'll let you know in a day or two about the predator once I get it in and have time for the tranny to relearn.

#16 ·
Glad you got it on sounds like a pain, I am also wondering at 50MPH crusing if there is anymore noise (drone) inside the cab? Thanks for the review.

#18 ·
Right on I think I am going to order the kit soon, which way did you put your muffler on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.