Diesel Place banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen several nice looking trucks on here running the RCD lift. The CV angles on all of them look pretty bad, I was wondering how this lift held up to moderate to heavy wheeling? Also, does the RCD lift make the front tires wider apart than the back?

·
Registered
205 Posts
My understanding is that all spindle-type lifts (RCD) will affect CV joints angle , as compared to stock. They will also cause the front wheel tracking to be wider than the rear wheels. CST and Cognito lifts do not affect cv-angle at 6" as the transfer case is dropped...at the expense of ground clearence. Do a search on brand lifts that you are looking for ... tons of good info here. I went with RCD as off-roading is light, just to chase down my kids when they wreck in the dez. Check my Garage to see RCD lift.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks duramaxdoc, very nice truck!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Duramaxdoc, Do You Have Your T Bars Cranked? I Also Have A 6" Rcd And My Cv Angle Is Pretty Good. Ill Take Some Pics And Post Them.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Duramaxdoc, Do You Have Your T Bars Cranked? I Also Have A 6" Rcd And My Cv Angle Is Pretty Good. Ill Take Some Pics And Post Them.
I just posted pics of my CV's. To be honest with you, I didn't ask my installer if they are cranked ..I don't beleive so. I did not crank myself. I am runninig LT325/60R20(35") Nitto Terra grapplers

·
Registered
214 Posts
Here It Is.

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
Here It Is.
Just posted left-side CV in Garage , does look more angled compared with yours? Notice you are running 20's also. Maybe socaldieseltech can chime in ...is it just my camera angle? West Coast Diesel Performance is DA BOMB!!

·
Registered
843 Posts
I have had both Rancho and Fabtech kits on my trucks. They are virtually identical to the RCD. They are "6"" kits because they drop all the crossmembers down six inches. However they are not "true" 6" kits because they only drop the front differential 4.5." If they dropped the diff a full 6" there would be no issues with the cv axles. If I were to do it again, I would either get an RCD and run it with no t-bar crank (flat cv's) and run a slightly smaller tire (like a 295 or 305) or if I wanted to go with a 35" tire or bigger I would get a "true" 6"+ kit like the Cognito 7-9" or a CST 6-8." Also, one thing to keep in mind is the knuckle lift kits increase the front track width of each wheel (makes the wheel stick out from the fender) Good Luck:)

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have had both Rancho and Fabtech kits on my trucks. They are virtually identical to the RCD. They are "6"" kits because they drop all the crossmembers down six inches. However they are not "true" 6" kits because they only drop the front differential 4.5." If they dropped the diff a full 6" there would be no issues with the cv axles. If I were to do it again, I would either get an RCD and run it with no t-bar crank (flat cv's) and run a slightly smaller tire (like a 295 or 305)
THAT IS WHAT I AM PLANNING ON DOING. IM GOING TO SEE IF I COULD LOWER THE T BARS TO GET THE CV'S STRAIGHT AND RUN 33'S. PROBABLY GOING TO HAVE TO MAKE MY OWN REAR BLOCK TO LEVEL IT THOUGH.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
dirtydury if you go 33's i think you might want to get smaller rims because i think that big of a rim and 33's will look funny and you will not have any sidewall at all

·
Registered
214 Posts
dirtydury if you go 33's i think you might want to get smaller rims because i think that big of a rim and 33's will look funny and you will not have any sidewall at all
YOU ARE CORRECT. I WOULD LIKE TO GO WITH 18'S WITH 33'S AND HAVE THE SAME AMOUNT OF SIDEWALL I HAVE NOW. IF ANYONE HAS THIS COMBO AND WANTS TO GO BIGGER I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN A TRADE.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have the RCD 6" lift. I don't think my CV angle is bad. But I adjusted the torsion bars back to the stock setting, same number of threads. This way the truck rides just like it did stock. I could get more lift by adjusting them, but then I'd compramise the ride and the life expectancy of the CV's, tie rods, upper and lower ball joints.

·
Registered
843 Posts
On the knuckle style lift kits (RCD, Rancho, Fabtech etc...) I would definately run an 8" wide wheel. Otherwise there would be alot of wheel and tire outside of the fender. Lots of rock chips. How do I know? I used 10" wide wheels with my 1st lift (Rancho).:badidea::mad:

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
On the knuckle style lift kits (RCD, Rancho, Fabtech etc...) I would definately run an 8" wide wheel. Otherwise there would be alot of wheel and tire outside of the fender. Lots of rock chips. How do I know? I used 10" wide wheels with my 1st lift (Rancho).:badidea::mad:
8 inch wide rims they look funny if you going to lif your truck get some 10 inch wide tires it look a lot better and you can fun some nice wide tires on them

·
Registered
270 Posts
I am running the RCD 6" with the torsion's cranked and running the BFG MUDS 37-12.5-18"s and love the combo.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I am running the RCD 6" with the torsion's cranked and running the BFG MUDS 37-12.5-18"s and love the combo.
Are your upper a-arms hitting the bumpstop when you go over a big bump? I don't have mine cranked, and the arms are hitting. David

1 - 18 of 18 Posts