Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Banned
2,530 Posts
Well if anyone out there needs to know why not to buy a Fram filter, stop into your local NAPA. Every one of them I've been in lately has a Fram filter and a NAPA gold filter cut apart in a case showing what a piece of crap they are. You can also check Mdrag's pics, he cut some up as well.

Ox

·
Registered
281 Posts
I used to run Fram filters in my street/drag car. While on a Sunday cruise I noticed that my oil pressure was a little low. Got it back home and changed the oil. When I took off the filter I heard a clunking sound in it. After taking it apart I saw that the element had falled apart.

After that my oil pressure never was "right". That summer I took the engine apart and I had 2 spun cam bearings and my main bearings did not look too good either.

I've never used Fram again and I still have the engine and it runs great now.

Jesse

·
Registered
43 Posts
Do not forget that the Pennzoil oil filters are are by Fram also, junk!!

Ron

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
RAREBU M-80 said:
So? What is a good brand of filter to install?

NAPA, Wix, Baldwin, Champion, AC

·
Registered
43 Posts
Purolator also, and Valvoline filters made by Champion Labs.

Ron

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I used to run them all the time and Fram made good filters. Last time I used one was on my Race bike, to save some change vs the Kawaski filter. When I changed it a while later had found the filter had started collapsing. Never used them since.

·
Registered
490 Posts
STP's are made by Champion, available at Auto Zone. They have the same number as a Fram, but they ARE NOT Fram filters.

Like one poster from the BITOG site said, "That orange wall is in more places than the Devil!"

·
Registered
410 Posts
Whattsa matter with the Frams....theyre a nice COLOR !

·
Registered
747 Posts
You guys are forgetting the fram is America's #1 oil filter!!

They probably are, but only because they are the only filters a lot of Wally Worlds stock.
Plus, they have that nice easy grip end.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Well, here's what's inside your "America's #1 Oil Filter"!!

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
flhrciblueice said:
You guys are forgetting the fram is America's #1 oil filter!!

They probably are, but only because they are the only filters a lot of Wally Worlds stock.
Plus, they have that nice easy grip end.

Real men don't go to Walmart! And they have filter wrenches! Edited by: srode

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nah, Man. They puts the rubber on there so you can quick change the oil, right in the Wally World Lot!

·
Registered
398 Posts
srode said:
Real men don't go to Walmart! And they have filter wrenches!

·
Registered
868 Posts
At $15 each, they were no bargain even if they were top grade filters. You can get Baldwins for a little more than half of that.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Idle chatter,

I hope you didn't misunderstand me. I haven't used a fram in years. I was making fun of the ebay ad as they said it was the #1 filter.
As far as filter wrenches go, I haven't needed one in a long time for my trucks until I bought the dmax. I crushed the stock one before I ever got it removed. I personally prefer NAPA(Wix), and I can get them at cost. But, I have purchased some baldwin's after reading the spec's someone listed on another post.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
No kidding on removal of the stock one first time!!! I don't know if they glued those on or just torque the heck out of them but my filter wrench put some major dents in the factory filter before it finally broke loose! Never seen anything like that before!!!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts