Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've currently got a 2500HD w/ the 6.0, and will be purchasing a larger (29'-31' w/ slide) camper in the next few months. I'm considering a new Dmax, but a friend at an RV dealership says go with the 8.1. He says numerous folks are having injector and Allison problems, and that a diesel that isn't driven on a daily basis can be prone to fuel-related problems? Any advice / insights from actual owners?

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
First let me say that I only ordered a Duramax at this point, but I did a lot of research prior to making my decision, about 6 months worth. I have driven the 8.1, 6.6 and Ford 6.0 only during test drives. Since the Dodge was 235HP, and no clubcab I excluded it.

Well, the 8.1 can come with an Allison as a option.

Seriously, you need to look at how many miles you are going to use it. For a typical useage the breakeven point is about 100,000mi. In other words, the fuel savings you will get with the diesel will pay for the cost of the option.

So obviously if you don't intend on keeping it 100,000, you're not saving any money going diesel.

There are good and bad things for both motors:

8.1 - Powerful, torquey. Enough power for nearly any legal application.

Low initial cost.

Lower maintenance costs.

Lower "per gallon" fuel cost, and fuel is everywhere.

Loss of power at high altitudes.

Expect 1/3 worse mileage.

Expensive and difficult to add significant additional power to.

Less fuel range.

6.6 - Plenty of power. Ditto.

High initial cost, but with the Power Package $1000 discount, it is the less expensive than the Ford. $3200 more than the 8.1/Allison combo.

Higher maintenance costs. But not by a huge amount. Neither are expensive to maintain.

Often diesel is more a gallon than the Regular, and less than Premium. Fewer stations carry it than gas.

Less power loss at altitude.

Good mileage for a heavy pickup.

Adding power is relatively simple and inexpensive.

Longer fuel range.

Weighs more, reduces payload a bit.

100,000 mile warranty.

------------

For me I finally decided to try Diesel Power. I keep trucks about 6-7 years, and put 100-200k on them. So I shouldn't lose money on the deal. And I really want a 400HP or more pickup yet still get good mileage. You can't do that with a gas motor.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Diesel also have a better resale value ..... The injector issue seems to me as time goes on is easily addressed for a couple hundred bucks and secondary filtering .....

Yes is shouldn't be necessary .... Most will spend more then that on a set off steps to climb aboard ....

Bottom line with the Duramax Allison GM, you get one helluva pulling machine and ride to boot ....

Good luck with your decision ....

Mac

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have a close friend with a 2002 2500HD with the gas-guzzler. He kicks himself in the butt every day for not buying a Duramax.

I took his advice and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
A couple of thoughts here about why I decided to go D/A.

Last diesel I had was a 6.2 which I put a Banks turbo kit and gear splitting overdrive on. It was a great truck after that, but newly aquired wife couldn't/wouldn't drive it...

Got a gasser and have driven them since. I live in an area where it is common to get 7 to 9 thousand feet above sea level when recreating, the power loss while hauling the "toys" is quite noticeable. I really missed the turbo, but felt like the older diesels didn't offer enough of a performance improvement to justify the cost.

That is no longer the case as the Duramax clearly out performs the 8.1 here where I live at about 4500 ft above sea level. As for the injector problems, you'll get an LLY engine if you order or wait a bit for them to show up on the dealer lots. They have a re-designed head for easier injector access should that be needed, new injector design and positioning in the head, new faster glow plug design for improved starting and a new turbo for faster throttle response. Unfortunately you'll get EGR and a CAT to appease the Federal air watchers as well. These changes could be a problem since they are new, but they could also be just great, only time will tell about that. But there is more power in the LLY if you get the Allison behind it.

As for fuel problems, I was concerned about that as well since I don't drive a lot of miles and you can get bacterial growth in diesel fuel that sits around for a long time. That problem, should you encounter it can be addressed with a fuel additive. I don't really think it'll cause any grief since it normally takes a number of months for the "bugs" to show up, and even longer to get enough of them to cause problems. I'm just going to add the fuel additive just in case.Edited by: Zeeb

·
Registered
939 Posts
I am a former 01 8.1L owner that switched to an 03 DMAX about a year ago. I was unhappy with the towing performance and gas mileage of the 8.1L towing in the mountains of Colorado (5-6mpg). Flat land towing was ok (9-10mpg). Having to stop for fuel nearly every 100 miles while towing our 10k 5er in the mountains was VERY inconvienient. With the DMAX, we get 10-12mpg towing in the mountains and as high as 14mpg towing on flat lands down south of us. Empty mileage is staggering, just got back from Vegas a few days ago and received 20.47mpg with the cruise set at 75mpg. This was truck stop to truck stop mileage, no city driving at all. My 8.1L best mileage at 75mpg was around 13mpg...no regrets here...only real regret is not buying the DMAX in the first place, could have saved quite a few bucks. Oh well live and learn...

Bob

·
Registered
395 Posts
Ditto 4x4man. I just traded a 2002 8.1 for a 2004 D/A. The 8.1 had plenty of power, but the gas mileage & small gas tank sucked when pulling my 5er. I wish I would have bought the Duramax the first time.

Jay

·
Banned
394 Posts
the 8.1 is a terd.....if he said get one he is a terd. his slideout is prob a terd also so i would say shop elsewhere to avoid all the stink of poo

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
rickles04 said:
the 8.1 is a terd.....if he said get one he is a terd. his slideout is prob a terd also so i wV-8 - 340 hp with 455 lb. ft.ould say shop elsewhere to avoid all the stink of poo

WOW !!!!!!!!!! Rickles

Guess you have no interest in a 496 Big Block HUH ...

Even at 340 hp with 455 lb. ft. it may not be a low rpm torque building diesel ,but something to be looked at nevertheless as an option for power train .... A Turd ,a Turd to consider ,that's a bit harsh ....

Mac

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you have every seen anyone burn up alive in a gasoline fire, then you might like the idea of a diesel.

I saw two people die this way in a Mustang. They only way they could have survived is if they jumped out of the car while it was moving.

Gasoline is explosive. Diesel just burns.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts