Diesel Place banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a 1993 ext cab 3500 with the 6.5 liter diesel it has 224,000 mi with 65,000 on a crate motor the guy says his wife put gas in thats why he had to buy a new motor i am wondering 1st are these motors any good and also what problems might i run into with the miles and how expensive would they be to fix he wants $5000 is it worth it

·
Registered
714 Posts
Putting gas in it isn't gonna make you need a new engine. IP maybe, but thats it. I'm skeptical at the "crate motor". These are good trucks if you take care of them. They have a few weak spots. They are not a Cummins, but they are the most under-rated diesel out there. As far as $5,000, unless he as recepts for the ACTUAL engine bought and installed by a dealer, with pictures and engine numbers, a new transmission, and in overall REALLY nice shape, I'd pass at anything over $3500. A 93, no one is going to finance.

I bought my truck (97 2500HD 'Which can be titled as a 3/4 or a 1 ton' 194,000 mi, 4X4, ext cab, cap, really nice shape for $3250.)

·
Registered
366 Posts
it would have the mechanical inj. pump which alot of guys like. Also you wouldn't have the famous PMD that gives alot of people headachs. What is the body like. What state is it in? I myself have a 92 and wouldn't sell it to anyone for 5 grand. It is a good price I think if the body is in great shape. Also I have a manual trany in my 92 and it is holding up great for me. I have 220,000 on mine and supossidly 10,000 miles on my used/new crate motor. I am sure others will chime in on this and that would be great. One can sorta tell by looking it over if it has been abused or not. Is there much blow by out the oil filler cap? There shouldn't be much if the motor has only that many miles on it. Heck the crate motor cost him at least 6 grand not that it matters but food for thought.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
he is the second owner of the truck hes owned it 4 years and the 1st owner was a snow bird that used it to pull his trailer from back east to az where we live the body paint looks great no rust few small dings and scratches the interior is in great shape also the only thing i noticed when i drove it had a sound coming from the passenger side that sounded like an exhaust leak but maybe thats what the turbo sounds like what is the pmd that you are taking about also

·
Registered
714 Posts
The PMD is "Pump mounted driver". It is on the electrical IP pumps. That year truck is mechanical. In other words, the injector pump is entirely mechanical. On mine (1997), the pump has some electrical control. The gas pedal is connected to the pump VIA wires instead of mechanical cables. These PMDs are known to fail alot in their stock location. You won't have that problem.

As far as "He paid $XXXX grand for the engine", that is his problem. I don't care if he paid $999,999 for it. I'm not paying for his bad luck. On a trade in, a dealer does not care if it is the original engine or a new rebuild. Gonna be the same price, depending on truck mileage. To me, a truck with XXX,XXX miles is gonna be worth the same, in running condition, with an original engine or new rebuild. I'm more opt to pay a little more for an original engine that I know is done right.

Go with your gut instinct, but I can get a better deal on something like that for $5000, specially if you shop around. Only way I'd ever pay $5000 for a 93 was if it was a dually with a conversion package.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thx again for the info i will have to really think about this what pros and cons would i have with a 6.5 verse say a duramax

1 - 6 of 6 Posts