Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, my wife and I are heading to New Orleans next weekend to pick up the dogs we adopted. The lady who has the dog's right now lives in Metarie (? sp) and said she would show us around the areas that back open since we have never been there.

Does anyone here have any suggestions of things to do or see while we are there Saturday? I know a majority of the area is devastated, but supposedly the French Quarter area is back open.

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
Nope, in and out personally... Have a buddy working over there right now and he said that there is really nothing to see... Yes the french quarter is open, mardi gras this weekend...Have fun

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the french quarter is open, mardi gras this weekend...Have fun
We aren't going until next weekend. We were gonna go this weekend, but the lady who has the dogs lives real close the French Quarter and doesn't leave her house this weekend with all that is going on. She said to wait until next weekend so we are.

Since you have been there a few times....about how far is the drive from Houston??

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
You can make it in about 5 hrs, depends on how you drive. It is about 350 miles from Houston.. Take your time and watch the cops. Have fun and ya, I would not have gone at this time anyway, going to be too much to deal with and too many people...

·
Banned
185 Posts
I have a cousin who lives in Metairie. Visiting the French quarter was my favorite thing to do whenever I paid a visit there. I haven't been back since Katrina, but its definitely worth checking out.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Cool, the lady who has the dogs actually lives in Metairie as well. She lives next to a historic old theatre that completely burned to the ground last month. We looked at hotels this weekend. There is one on Burbon St in the Fr Qtr that is nice, but there were some reviews that it was a rough area and could ba dangerous (don't want to take my wife where it's dangerous). I am unsure how everyone evacuating has changed that though. We might just stay in Baton Rouge and drive in on Saturday. I am looking forward to it since we have never been to New Orleans. Wish we had made it before all of the destruction.

·
Registered
826 Posts
There is one on Burbon St in the Fr Qtr that is nice, but there were some reviews that it was a rough area and could ba dangerous (don't want to take my wife where it's dangerous)

I visited N.O. for the first time when I lived in Dallas. I was shocked at how dirty and gritty it was. I had my wife with me and I did not feel safe at all. Would have been a great place to party with a bunch of drunk buddys, but I did not like to have to worry about the safety of my wife.

Prior to the visit I had lived in Chicago, Columbus Ohio and Dallas. They each have their rough areas, but nothing like N.O.

Fast forward 10 years, I now live in the suburbs of Memphis and work down town, this place is rough. Makes N.O. look like a garden spot.

My wife and I are completly used to it now. French Quarter at 3am would be nothing. Hell, Compton at 3am would be easy compared to Memphis.

It's all in your perspective and what you have been exposed to before.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, we went the safe route. I just booked a hotel in Baton Rouge. We finally found one with an open room in a good part of Baton Rouge. A buddy of mine is from there so he helped me figure out if it was in a good part of town. We will just plan on driving in to New Olreans Saturday morning.

The lady who has the dogs said she wants to show us around what's left of New Orleans during the day so that should be cool. I personally think she just wants to hang out with us and make sure we are good people before turning over these 2 dogs she has had for 6 months. I think she really wants to keep them deep down, but already has too many.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I will be going down with one of my kids sometime in may/june. I lived in East Gentilly and went to Sherwood Forest Elementary School. I looked at a map that said that neighborhood was under 7 1/2' of water during the flood. Makes me sad to think about it.

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
Couldnt pay me to go down there during Mardi Gras. I did woodstock in 94 and Oktober fest in Munich in 98. After both those two, no thank you.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have not been back to the city since Katrina, but I lived there a few years. Since you are taking the wife, some of the places she might like to see are off the list due to the damage, such as the New Orleans Museum in City Park and the Lakefront. But, you should be alright in the French Quarter between Burbon St and the river, or uptown on St.Charles Ave. There are antique shops and museums in the quarter that will be fine during the day, and of course the bars and restaurants. You can try the Presbytier, the Cabildo, St. Louis Cathedral, and Cafe du Monde, the Jax Brewery and the French Market. The Central Grocery is across the street from the French Market, and is where the Mufalatta sandwich originated,(get it hot). I am not sure of the status of the Aquarium on the river walk, it may not be open yet, or Audubon Zoo, which is uptown. I believe that uptown weathered the storm fairly well, with less damage than many other areas of the city, so she may want to drive up St. Charles Ave from Canal St. and see some of the homes and such. I am not up on which restaurants are open, but a few favorites are Mr. B's, Felix's Oyster Bar, Acme Oyster House, and the Cresent City Brewhouse, which are all in the French Quarter.

I have a different list without the museums, architecture, and antique shops if you make the trip without the wife.
:exactly:

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info. Heading out in about 40 minutes (can't wait to get out of work...been one of those weeks). Hope to come home with 2 dogs....I hope they like me.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Good Luck, have fun!

·
Registered
262 Posts
NO needed a good natural disaster to tear down all of the $hitty houses. Now the city and government are forced to clean alot of that area up. Hopefully it will be better after they finish.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts