Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So some a-hole punched in the lock on my 2006 . Has anyone had this done to them and what is usually the fix . It sounds like the lock is just dangling in the door .

Crazy thing is all they got was four dollars in change , and two days before we leave for the Daytona 500 . Like I need that hassle right now !

Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
I feel your pain....I had the same thing happen here in Vegas a couple of weeks ago. The jerk offs stole all of my stereo equipment and my PPE Xcellerator controller. They knocked the lock cylinder into the door and it cost me $400 and change to have fixed at the dealership. If you take it in for the fix, they make a plate can makes it a little harder to do this again.....It is called the Jimmy Jammer or something like that. I had them install this when they fixed the door. Sorry to hear about your truck.....I really hate these chicken Sh**s that do this to other peoples property.

·
Registered
173 Posts
You'll have to replace the door handle. The lock mounts in the plastic handle. It is an easy job, but you'll have to remove the door panel. I think this is the reason why GM stopped putting the lock in the passenger door because it is too easy to break in.

·
Registered
861 Posts
thats why you need to get an alarm system. i feel i have one of the best alarms. i have a 2 way pager that tells me when my truck is getting broke into and that causes my .45 to jump in my hand and me to run after to sob's. then with the sob's having a gun to there head the truck is safe once again.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Man, I hate hearing about this kind of crap. Nothing pi$$es me off more than freakin' thieves.

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Probably low life druggys!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Red6t5Vette;1590192; said:
I feel your pain....I had the same thing happen here in Vegas a couple of weeks ago. The jerk offs stole all of my stereo equipment and my PPE Xcellerator controller. They knocked the lock cylinder into the door and it cost me $400 and change to have fixed at the dealership. If you take it in for the fix, they make a plate can makes it a little harder to do this again.....It is called the Jimmy Jammer or something like that. I had them install this when they fixed the door. Sorry to hear about your truck.....I really hate these chicken Sh**s that do this to other peoples property.

Thanks for the info , much appreciated . I assume they use the same lock cylinder so you don't need to re-key ?

Now to stand outside in minus 20 degree weather to fix it . I have a alarm in it , just a smash and grab I guess . Had mine and my daughter's ski's under the tonneau cover , just glad I'm not dishing out another $2000 for those .

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
I feel the same way about car thieves as I feel about horse thieves - and they should be treated the same.

Same applies for people who break in to anything, car, house, etc., to steal things.

Never leave money in sight.... it's like a magnet to would be thieves.

Unless you are parked in your driveway, alarms are pretty useless. I worked for years in Detroit and you heard them so much, you ignored them. Guys on Harley's used to ride through parking garages to see how many alarms their bikes could set off.

·
Registered
173 Posts
spdfreek;1590332; said:
Thanks for the info , much appreciated . I assume they use the same lock cylinder so you don't need to re-key ?

Your lock cylinder might not be damaged. They usually just break the plastic door handle. If your cylinder was damaged, the dealer or a locksmith can re-key a new cylinder to match your existing key, so you won't have to re-key the entire truck. I hate to say it, because I would buy A GM any day over any other manufacturer, but I would never have designed a door handle like these trucks have. They are way too easy to break (especially in those cold temperatures). I don't know what GM was thinking.

·
Registered
48 Posts
In my case they had to replace both the key cylinder and the lock rods which were damaged, as well. They must have matched the new cylinder to my key, because I did not have to change keys. I, too, had an alarm but it had been acting up so I did not have it armed......go figure!! I don't feel so bad, as they actually stole my neighbors F-350 Dually a couple of nights later and when it was found, they had destroyed the entire interior. They got into his truck the same way, but they managed to steel it.....thank god they just stole my stuff and didn't steal or hurt the truck. I have since had a Ravelco Anti-Theft device installed.......They are not getting my truck without eating some knuckles followed by a little lead to wash their teeth down with.....

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
You'll need a door handle and probably a lock cylinder 'kit' (the rods can be bent back into position, usually don't need replacing). The lock cylinder kit will allow you to rekey the clyinder to match your origional key. I looked for the part#, but couldn't find it off hand. It's easy to totally dissassemble the lock cylinder to see what key numbers you have, then just match everything to the new cylinder and go back together with it.

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
Instead of getting a new lock cylinder you could get an outside door handle for a crew cab rear door that does NOT have a spot for a key and only use your alarm or keyless entry to get into your truck. That would help eliminate future break-ins.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Remember, locks only keep the honest people out. Thankfully i dont have to worry about this kind of thing much, i only lock my truck at work "Jail". These theiving dirt sticks are crafty at stealing but not smart enough at not getting caught. You wont be reimbursed but they will get caught sooner or later. All you have to do is outsmart them for next time.

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
That really sux, wouldn't it be neat if you found out who the slug was who did.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Red6t5Vette;1590192; said:
What exactly does this "Jimmy Jammer" do?

Hmm, after some thought, maybe it's time to seal up the door locks, use the remote key fob to open the truck and have a hidden hard-wired switch to unlock should the key fob not work. However, if the locking mechanisim fails, then I guess it's time for a hammer. :)

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
The jimmy jammer is a plate that mounts behind the lock mechanism. It helps prevent a thief from using a "slim Jim" between the window and outer door skin to pull on the door lock rods and unlock the door.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
reyb;1591178; said:
What exactly does this "Jimmy Jammer" do?

Hmm, after some thought, maybe it's time to seal up the door locks, use the remote key fob to open the truck and have a hidden hard-wired switch to unlock should the key fob not work. However, if the locking mechanisim fails, then I guess it's time for a hammer. :)
This why we have glass coverage.:grd:

·
Registered
131 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me in Las Vegas about 3 weeks ago. They took a screw driver and pounded it in just below the door handle. $500 to fix the metal and repaint it. I had the shop put a door handle on without a lock, same as the other 3 doors. Downside is if the battery in my clicker goes out, I'm screwed!

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
I had my door lock cylinder punched in just before Christmas here in Vegas too. As far as I can tell, they only got my Arnette Sunglasses off the dash, because nothing else was missing. I didn't drive the truck that much then, so I didn't even know it happened until a week later. I have put an alarm on since, God Dam^ F~(}er$, leave $hit alone!!

·
Diesel Master, Formerly goth2o
5,510 Posts
BudTX;1590235; said:
Man, I hate hearing about this kind of crap. Nothing pi$$es me off more than freakin' thieves.
I agree. I've had it a couple of times myself. I had all my electrical tools, etc stolen out of my truck last year(another time the year before). It's partially my fault for not locking the Weatherguard box and leaving it close to the street that night. The part that really gets me is now I have to remove the keys and lock up my vehicles. Little did the a-hole know that robbed me-he could have had the whole truck if he tried the door handle!!! I went from a regular lock handle on my garage to a HD lock w/a deadbolt (+ my dogs of course). I went from an unlocked truck box to a Spartan utility with double locks and an alarm. I now have a cop for a neighbor who stops home a lot-so that's one good thing. Years of not having to worry about that stuff here, and now it's always on my mind. I now pray for the day I look out the window at the right moment! They won't get too far with a slug in the *ss. Not only are thieves stupid for thieving, but most don't realize that there are people like many of us who take matters into their own hands.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts