Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck gets up to normal operating temp, but the heater blows cooler than normal.
And then when sitting at an idle, the heater goes cold, hold the throttle down a bit and it warms up again. Is this the thermostat or something else?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Is your upper rad hose rock hard when this is happening???? Also when you release your overflow cap, is there alot of pressure???

I'm gonna take a stab and say you've either got headgasket issues or injector sleeve problems. Whats happening is combustion is getting into the cooling system and entering air into the system. When you are getting cold air, you'll have an air pocket screwing up the t-stat, thus it being stuck closed.

The cheapest fix would be the t-stats, but everytime i've had those symptoms or seen them, its been either sleeves or gaskets. Try the t-stats first if you want, its the easiest and cheapest...............my fingers are crossed for ya

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes ,there is alot of pressure , and the coolant seems to be cool.would there be any smoke in this situation?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Yes ,there is alot of pressure , and the coolant seems to be cool.would there be any smoke in this situation?
No there wouldn't be any smoke. Do you have warranty on the truck still??? They can do a sniff test at your overflow, but that pressurized upper rad hose or overflow cap being super pressurized is a dead give away. It will either be the sleeves or gaskets with gaskets usually getting the nod 7 times out of 10. Good luck

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks man
I just hope I dont have any trouble with the dealer, The guy didnt even know about the injector warrantee. Know any good diesel techs in southern In.?

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
where are you at?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Truck gets up to normal operating temp, but the heater blows cooler than normal.
And then when sitting at an idle, the heater goes cold, hold the throttle down a bit and it warms up again. Is this the thermostat or something else?
chopking,
I have 01 w/78,000 miles, was doing same thing along with dumping coolant out overflow sometimes. GM replaced injectors & inj. cup seals, was OK for 3000 miles, started doing it again. Just got it back last Friday after them having it for 5 weeks. Put new heads on this time. Seems to be ok now, only had it a week though.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had a simular problem with my 02. Took it in and told them to replace the thermostat, but they put it on the computer and set something instead. After that it worked fine.
Sometimes the dealer does know what to do:rolleyes:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a simular problem with my 02. Took it in and told them to replace the thermostat, but they put it on the computer and set something instead. After that it worked fine.
Sometimes the dealer does know what to do:rolleyes:
what did they set?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So the dealer did a leak down test on my truck.When I called them this morning the service manager told me that the test came back incunclusive.
They cant pinpoint wether its the injectors or the head gasket, so he says the only thing he can do is change the injector sleeves , and if that doesnt fix the problem change the head gaskets .
Does this sound like a wacked out way of doin it to you guys?
Also will injector sleeves be included in my extended warranty?

I need a good diesel guy in southern In. in the worst way!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi chopking, I'm in Solsberry, bout 24 miles from you. I really like the work of Scheid Diesel in Terre Haute. They are authorized service centers for nearly all diesel engine mfgrs. They have performed warranty work for me in the past (Cummins) with a dealers referral. Look up their website for more information on them. http://www.scheiddiesel.com a few years ago the labor rate was $85/hr, but you really do get what you pay for there, they get it right the first time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts