Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere on here that you can buy a wire that has a thermostat on it instead of a timer to plug in your engine block heater..that way you dont have to worry about setting a timer and it only kicks on your block heater if it gets cold enough..No codes would be set off...if you know where I could get one or how you have built one let me know..thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you go see your dealer, you might be able to get one put on under warranty. If not, I'm sure they can order one for you. It's not what I would recommend.

When you do use the heater, just make sure it's plugged in for at least 4 hours.

·
Registered
923 Posts
See your stealer.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
cuffnup;1563711; said:
I read somewhere on here that you can buy a wire that has a thermostat on it instead of a timer to plug in your engine block heater..that way you dont have to worry about setting a timer and it only kicks on your block heater if it gets cold enough..No codes would be set off...if you know where I could get one or how you have built one let me know..thanks
There's a item called a ThermoCube. They come in different temperature ratings. You can plug your block heater into the ThermoCube and it won't energize the block heater unless the temp reaches the ThermoCube ON temp or lower, if it goes above it (by a certain amount) it turns off as well.

Perform a google search. Many farm and ranch supply sites sell them. They're not expensive either.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Are the newer trucks setting codes? I plug mine in as soon as I get home and leave it all night with no problems.

·
Banned
1,840 Posts
Anyone have the TSB on this?? My stealer isn't exactly forthcoming with ANYTHING these days :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I've got an '05 with the 8.1L and I've modified the 0F thermostat on the plug and have been using it every day for the last 6 weeks or so and have not set a code (at least not yet).

DEWFPO

1 - 7 of 7 Posts