Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 Klassic CCSB 2500HD. Six-gun w/speedloader, iDash, and EFILive.
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's probably going to be a long discussion. The short version is that at 7500 ft, I hit temperature limits way too fast and I would like to make that better.

This truck has always had high temperatures since the day that I bought it.

We all know that LBZ's have a crap ton of oil that goes through the intercooler as part of the PCV system. What I wonder is, how much does that oil screw up the charge air cooler, and if a guy were to put a catch can on and then get his intercooler boiled, would it make a noticeable difference?

·
Premium Member
18,305 Posts
Cleaning the exterior of all the coolers is a better place to start. It's amazing how much debris gets in between the stack over 15+ years.

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cleaning the exterior of all the coolers is a better place to start. It's amazing how much debris gets in between the stack over 15+ years.
I've considered that, but she's been a hanger queen. Is it still worthwhile? I have no idea about the first three years of her life. But again, always high EGT, even day 1 at sea level.

Thanks B.

·
Premium Member
18,305 Posts
So....I peeked in your garage, and I see an aftermarket bumper.

On a stock truck, where the two inlet holes on the bumper are, there is a rubber insert from the bottom of them holes to the bottom of the core support. Is it still present on yours?
In other words, if you look down behind the grille, can you see the ground?

Reactions: biotec and OkDually

·
Premium Member
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT ECSB Duramax LBZ
637 Posts
I installed a PCV reroute kit after the hot side charge air cooler duct blew off because it was slippery with oil. And instead of having the the stock CAC boiled out I replaced it with a Banks Techni-Cooler. Problem solved.

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

On a stock truck, where the two inlet holes on the bumper are, there is a rubber insert from the bottom of them holes to the bottom of the core support. Is it still present on yours?
The one with ISUZU on it? Yes. Not sure it's accomplishing much, but it's present.

Well damn, I typed out a whole page and didn't save it.

Short version: yes....airflow. The truck has had a pretty (unnecessary for me) grill insert in it since I bought it, and that goes with the overtemp defuel shifting from 2-3 that's always been there. Maybe I'll just remove that temporarily and see what happens. Maybe I'll get adventurous and duct some air that way too.

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I installed a PCV reroute kit after the hot side charge air cooler duct blew off because it was slippery with oil. And instead of having the the stock CAC boiled out I replaced it with a Banks Techni-Cooler. Problem solved.
Yeah, thinking of that. Can you describe how much of a difference it made in your exhaust gas temperatures?

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, there's no way I have junk in there....
Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Reactions: OkDually

·
Premium Member
18,305 Posts
Is them there pictures of your cooling stack?

I've always wondered if sealing the radiator to the charge air cooler all the way around, like on my excavators, would make a difference.

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
It has to. I do remember driving through that bee storm going from Deming to Lordsburg New Mexico. Sounded like popcorn. Doesn't make any sense to me how they're between the stack like that.

All the oil on and in the tubes has me so ticked off I'm going to at least put a catch can on it before I put it all back together. The Technicoolers are on sale right now. My wife would murder me.

I bet putting some fine mesh on the bottom where the air flows up from the scoop would make a heck of a difference, but I don't know how much it would reduce the air flow. Sigh

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Yeah, thinking of that. Can you describe how much of a difference it made in your exhaust gas temperatures?
I don't have an EGT gauge so the differences I noted from the Techni-Cooler (improved throttle response and a small decrease in RPM at steady freeway speeds) were subjective. I didn't bother with a catch can (or cans) for the PCV reroute but there's no evidence of oil dripping from the PCV reroute hoses and oil use between changes (every 7500 miles) is imperceptible.

Reactions: roswell

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
This publicly available document is quite helpful in pulling the CAC without draining the radiator, even though I'll probably do that anyway. View attachment 650841
As you've seen, the Techni-Cooler installation instructions are excellent. I didn't drain the radiator and had no problems. You should jump on the $1159 sale price, which ends 5/9 (I paid $1108, but that was in 2007).

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You should jump on the $1159 sale price,
You shut your face! I like being married...(I may)

Did you get fancy tubes and hoses too? I don't see that as necessary myself just curious.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
You shut your face! I like being married...(I may)

Did you get fancy tubes and hoses too? I don't see that as necessary myself just curious.
Banks didn't have the hot side boost pipe when I got the Techni-Cooler but I added an aFe Intercooler Tube Upgrade (Part # 46-20049) in 2009. It cost me $199 then but the price of the aFe tube has gone up to $318. The $189 sale price for the Banks tube is a good deal.

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Esta aqui

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not terrible. Figured a way to siphon the coolant out without spilling. More later if anyone is interested. I need to go get some super hd pro simple green degreaser...

Note to self: CAC weights 21lb prior to cleaning.+/- .1

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Well, both cooler lines are seized to the radiator fittings. Yes, I pulled the clips. Tried a heat gun, then I tried a heat gun and ice. Not a whole lot of maneuvering room when you're working with aluminum and plastic. Anybody got any brain ideas?

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Try slightly unscrewing the transmission cooler hose connectors from the radiator to see if that breaks the seized connection. If nothing works, you may be stuck having to cut and replace the transmission cooler hoses, and removing and replacing the radiator connectors. If it comes to that, be sure to remove and replace just one transmission coolant connector at a time. The transmission coolant structure in the radiator end section is free-floating and needs to be held in place by one of the transmission coolant connectors when the other transmission coolant connector is removed and replaced.

Reactions: roswell

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Yeah. Ain't broke....

So maybe I'll just put it back and drive it till it's actually a problem.

Maybe I just tarp behind it and pressure wash from the front.
Maybe I'll see if I can make one of these with a tighter radius..

Oh hell yeah, all aluminum and has a drain petcock...https://www.ebay.com/itm/333910223949?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=9wghjfckrha&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=zyV4h54kTsC&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

1 - 20 of 48 Posts