Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have an imaging setup we ise for the horses. It is an old unit and uses liquid nitrogen for coolig the camera. The image is converted from a b/w to colors representing different temperatures. The problem with it for what you are doing is that the heat and the wind from the fan will really screw up the image. We cannot use mine on a windy day. The newer ones might avoid the problem -- I do not know.
A veterinary hospital who does a lot of imaging might have a newer one and ca help you. Arizona Equine is our referral clinic, and I could make a call if that would help.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
I used some while I was in the Army, but they said I had to play nice and leave it for the next guy.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have a Bendix X-Vision FLIR unit mounted on my rig. It has a narrow range of vision but reaches out further than the headlights at night. People and other warm-blooded critters show up as white on black (particularly handy when driving in Mexico at night). Headlights and taillights appear as white spots.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Looks like I can get some time on a dyno wed/thur next week and i can take a look see. Don't know how well the pictures of the tic (thermal image camera) screen might turn out. I'll take a look today an see what happens.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
You could ask your local fire dept for help. I'm not sure if the camera they use will fit your needs. Our cameras show heat by different grayscale colors and also show the temp in degrees depending on where you point the bullseye.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
you could look for electrical inspectors, they use them in plants to check wire runs and then print out pictures of hot spots for repairs. some $ but cheaper than IR camera's thermal imagers used in service was $10,000, not much cheaper now either.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Any Interest?

I going up to Dynomite Diesel Performance in Monroe, WA on Wed. March 1st @ 8:00 AM. I'll be bringing a thermal imaging camera (I have permission from the Chief) to take a look at the engine while running on the dyno and take some pictures of the tic screen. Just thought I'd put it out there to see if there is any interest. Sorry that it's on a weekday morning:eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts