Diesel Place banner

201 - 203 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
Truck is starting great in the cold. Ripped off at 10 degrees like it had been sitting in the garage. Spent some time last night researching head units. A backup camera and handsfree calling are something I miss from the car. I used to be a huge car stereo geek so it's been awhile since I looked for a new unit.

The bad... I parked too close to the wall so I couldn't mess with the squealing belt last night. This morning noticed diesel smell in the garage again. I had smelled it under the hood and assumed it was the ffm O-ring weeping on top. Replaced the filter and noticed diesel on the floor still. Several of the injectors are leaking at the bodies meaning they need to be retorqued or were lapped improperly. At least two on the driver's side are very wet

Also noticed a fairly good sized puddle of diesel under the tank. I'm hoping it was spilled from treating the the tank but terrified it's not. Its pretty much tank #2 time.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Sorry to hear about your fuel leaks. Never ending battle with anything transportation related. Some will say, "it's the old vehicle syndrome", when I know more than a few people with new vehicle issues too. (Mostly electronics). We can consider ourselves fortunate that we have the ability to repair busted things. (Or in my case, "stupid" enuff to put up with it.) With me, it all comes down to saving $ on expensive labor costs, and tolerating the "imperfections" of seasoned areas.

You mentioned your injectors leaking at the body. Are you sure it's not just the fuel line connection? Sometimes with mine, after removing the line cluster, and reinstalling, at 1st it might have a drip or 2 here or there, but a little extra cranking of the B nut, (fitting) would be enuff to cure it.
As for the fuel tanks, when I changed mine in my 83 C-30 dually, I was surprised how inexpensive they were. But the labor part wasn't very enjoyable. And after 10-15 years, one tank has also begun leaking, but at the top, where the sending unit gasket/o-ring is. I hope yours is like you said, just some residual spillage. Good luck with that.
And congrats on your cold weather starting victory. Nice to hear you got that outta the way. Have a good one, and keep up the fight. :)

Reactions: Tr00b

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
Tank job went like crap. Got diesel everywhere draining it, got diesel in my hair, drank some and killed 20 pairs of rubber gloves trying to get it out of the truck. The tank came out like crap, went in like crap, and even has to come out again.

The Dorman tank weighed almost 5 lbs less than the Spectra tank, obviously better quality, more of the spot welds cracked on the Dorman. The Metrum Fuel rod went into the sending unit without issues...

The Dorman tank strap bolts (I have 4 of them now) were too short for the non Dorman tank. I bought a longer metic bolt from the hardware store which I had to endure a cringey day trip with the GF to be allowed to get... That bolt immediately stripped out in the Dorman captured nut.

By some oddity, I had saved the old factory captured nut and bolt from my first tank job years ago and found it, just before I punched the hell out some drywall and threw beer cans at the dog. That bolt worked great.

When I finally filled the tank with 7 gallons, the truck started and ran fine. Drove in a snowstorm to get a tank of fuel. The sender is reading just over a half of a tank and not budging! The only thing I can think that is wrong is a zip tie on the return line on the sending unit is keeping the float from going to the top. So I threw beer cans at the dog and punched the hell out some drywall. Going to have to pull the tank again very likely to fix it.

Got a different Stant fuel cap and the new cap makes the tank have even more violent sucking sounds than the old one. Probably go back to the old one...

I also bought some replacement taillights from TYC. They seem okay. Didn't fit the best. Not the brightest. Bought LED back up bulbs for them based on what Rock Auto said was the correct bulb. WRONG. These might go in the marker lights in the grille.

Replaced the rear mirror glass on the passenger side door with Dorman mirror glass. By some f6cking miracle it's reflective and sort of fit where the stock one was. Waiting for it to just randomly shatter like the rest of the poorly conceived trash I keep finding for this truck to try and make it decent.

201 - 203 of 203 Posts