Diesel Place banner

181 - 187 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
6,292 Posts
Nah... I just hosed down the open block with it. That's where it got set down.

Current state of affairs:

Paleyjim lent me his battery load tester. My Z71 batteries failed a load test, both of them.

I put them in the Dragon and tried to start it to verify the engine was good. I've named the wrecker "the Dragon" because its draggin' on the ground (no tires), its large, strong, scaly (rust haha). It has 8 bad glow plugs in it, it bumps with 1 glow plug from my truck, the one I pulled out was a 10G so hopefully they've been gone through at least once. Time to dig up some used ones, too bad I threw away most of them probably. Forgot to check if it had a block heater.

Thinking very hard about going to mechanical injection or building a truck with mechanical injection. Researching the performance of the trans controller that's in the Dragon to see if its something I want in my Z71, how much performance or driveability I'll lose going to that setup.

The Z71 needs batteries, injectors, an air filter, CDR changed, oil change and chassis lube, the fuel tank replaced, the block heater replaced. I think I either have a bad oil pan gasket or a leaking crank seal that's making a huge mess as well. I'm tempted to pull the whole front clip to redo these things, possibly place the second GM8 turbocharger at this time as well.

Just have to see how the money and time shakes down as to what I can really manage to do.
I was joking, but not now about this.....

Maybe.... just maybe..... cut and paste your comments here into a mechanic's coffee table book form and self publish on Amazon. It really is that entertaining and I don't even like wrenching. Maybe that's why it is ):h

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
I appreciate your interest! So far the market is pretty small, just you lol!

Some might just be irritated with a day to day blog with no cool big money spent, flashy fabrication or... actual progress. I'm on several faceboog groups where people are literally spending the equivalent of my entire investment... in a sitting... on all the "goodies". Can't fathom it.

The block heater cord end was ripped off of the dragon. A spare cord and some wire nuts had it working again, but just 1 glow plug wasn't enough to cook it off. Since the intake boot is cracked open, I'm afraid they used a lot of ether to get it to start the first time. Hopefully the motor is still alive under there.

Have the workbench in the garage cleaned off ready to start working on injectors. Paleyjim is going to do way cooler stuff than I am with new nozzles etc... I'm just going to try to hack out a set of useable used injectors out of a pile of them...

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
1. The Dragon Runs! 4 glow plugs, a prayer and 33 degrees had it running. Jilted multiple times on parts sales... Annoying.
2. Turbo is out of the Z71.
3. Mocking up to fit a second GM-8. I've gone through about 10 or 11 possibilities over the years. nothing was working finally had a breakthrough enough to dig deeper and pull manifolds off and start fitting up parts. If there's a clear path, it will happen. Taking pictures and documenting as I go.
4. Injectors will be easier to work on with the manifolds off.
5. With everything recently removed, head gaskets might go easier later.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
Injector testing thread

https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/21-6-5l-diesel-engine/981938-injector-testing-rebuilding-pop-pressure-adjustment-3.html

ABS delete thread

https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/21-6-5l-diesel-engine/981658-abs-delete.html

Once the injectors are built....

Looks like I'll be using a 6.2 passenger side manifold, with pieces cut off and welded back on.

Will need to delete the ABS: Bonus, on the fly brake bias "almost line lock" hopefully. See the ABS delete thread. Looking at all NICopp lines while I'm doing this.

May need to reroute power steering lines.

Will need to relocate the batteries.

To ease the pain of the project, will go through the hood with the exhaust for now.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
No progress for almost a month. Money and time issues. Last Friday I started to clean up the area for 10 minutes and got called away. Morale hit a new low.

Have a potential buyer for the whole Dragon, for a bit of profit, but he's so sketchy and sporadic that I'm not sure if hes actually going to get it or not. He bought rims and tires for it, and won't answer any questions about when he might pick up.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
Decided to deal with the stupidest problem first, this leaking POS. Paleyjim offered to weld it. It's very thin it may not work. Worth a try. I have a stick welder set up now but haven't ever used it before.

I'm possibly proceeding with the twin turbos, the abs delete will possibly start without a proportioning valve at all, it seems that the abs modules in a fail state are still driveable.

2.5 hours to siphon it out and drop the tank.

Taking the injector testing rig up to paleyjims' house to see what the pattern is on a new injector nozzle, and see if I need new nozzles or not. In my opinion, cleaning them seems to hurt the pattern should be able to test that.

With everything going on, It did try to buy a new Ram truck, but even with my dealership connections it didn't work out. 620 a month is just too much.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #187 (Edited)
Last weekend, I got the truck running.

The marine nozzle injector rebuild process was pretty time intensive but "I've done it". No visible leaks on the bodies or return. Decent performance.

Paleyjim did an excellent job on the tank, its bone dry. Not killing grass or stinking up the garage anymore.

The manifolds and crossover went back on without major hitches, had to "borrow" bolts from my spare 6.2 and spare 6.5 to make a set I'd trust for more than a couple years. enough anti-sieze on those little picks to make the tin man blush . Cleaned the passenger side exhaust ports up, huge pieces of casting slag hanging out in them. The firewall insulation collapsed and was beginning to melt against the exhaust, that got pulled out. Threw my new CDR on it, new 60g glow plugs and a new air cleaner. Brand new MTP-78 batteries.

Block heater was messy but doable and is dry, no leaks. Had some hitches getting it due to the virus. Block heater

Performance is on par. No overwhelming improvements. More than ever, signs point to my glow plug harness as it starts EXACTLY as bad as it did when I began this mess. Awesome. Hundreds of hours wasted compensating for not having a truck, saving for parts, researching and learning to build injectors, tearing apart and putting back together. But some peace of mind.

Already hauling lots of wood with it, and doing the first side job with it this weekend. Need to get up a dollar total for the last mess and this one!

181 - 187 of 187 Posts