Diesel Place banner

181 - 194 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
Nah... I just hosed down the open block with it. That's where it got set down.

Current state of affairs:

Paleyjim lent me his battery load tester. My Z71 batteries failed a load test, both of them.

I put them in the Dragon and tried to start it to verify the engine was good. I've named the wrecker "the Dragon" because its draggin' on the ground (no tires), its large, strong, scaly (rust haha). It has 8 bad glow plugs in it, it bumps with 1 glow plug from my truck, the one I pulled out was a 10G so hopefully they've been gone through at least once. Time to dig up some used ones, too bad I threw away most of them probably. Forgot to check if it had a block heater.

Thinking very hard about going to mechanical injection or building a truck with mechanical injection. Researching the performance of the trans controller that's in the Dragon to see if its something I want in my Z71, how much performance or driveability I'll lose going to that setup.

The Z71 needs batteries, injectors, an air filter, CDR changed, oil change and chassis lube, the fuel tank replaced, the block heater replaced. I think I either have a bad oil pan gasket or a leaking crank seal that's making a huge mess as well. I'm tempted to pull the whole front clip to redo these things, possibly place the second GM8 turbocharger at this time as well.

Just have to see how the money and time shakes down as to what I can really manage to do.
I was joking, but not now about this.....

Maybe.... just maybe..... cut and paste your comments here into a mechanic's coffee table book form and self publish on Amazon. It really is that entertaining and I don't even like wrenching. Maybe that's why it is ):h

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
I appreciate your interest! So far the market is pretty small, just you lol!

Some might just be irritated with a day to day blog with no cool big money spent, flashy fabrication or... actual progress. I'm on several faceboog groups where people are literally spending the equivalent of my entire investment... in a sitting... on all the "goodies". Can't fathom it.

The block heater cord end was ripped off of the dragon. A spare cord and some wire nuts had it working again, but just 1 glow plug wasn't enough to cook it off. Since the intake boot is cracked open, I'm afraid they used a lot of ether to get it to start the first time. Hopefully the motor is still alive under there.

Have the workbench in the garage cleaned off ready to start working on injectors. Paleyjim is going to do way cooler stuff than I am with new nozzles etc... I'm just going to try to hack out a set of useable used injectors out of a pile of them...

Reactions: mp06011999

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
1. The Dragon Runs! 4 glow plugs, a prayer and 33 degrees had it running. Jilted multiple times on parts sales... Annoying.
2. Turbo is out of the Z71.
3. Mocking up to fit a second GM-8. I've gone through about 10 or 11 possibilities over the years. nothing was working finally had a breakthrough enough to dig deeper and pull manifolds off and start fitting up parts. If there's a clear path, it will happen. Taking pictures and documenting as I go.
4. Injectors will be easier to work on with the manifolds off.
5. With everything recently removed, head gaskets might go easier later.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
Injector testing thread

https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/21-6-5l-diesel-engine/981938-injector-testing-rebuilding-pop-pressure-adjustment-3.html

ABS delete thread

https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/21-6-5l-diesel-engine/981658-abs-delete.html

Once the injectors are built....

Looks like I'll be using a 6.2 passenger side manifold, with pieces cut off and welded back on.

Will need to delete the ABS: Bonus, on the fly brake bias "almost line lock" hopefully. See the ABS delete thread. Looking at all NICopp lines while I'm doing this.

May need to reroute power steering lines.

Will need to relocate the batteries.

To ease the pain of the project, will go through the hood with the exhaust for now.

Reactions: byronbaumann

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
No progress for almost a month. Money and time issues. Last Friday I started to clean up the area for 10 minutes and got called away. Morale hit a new low.

Have a potential buyer for the whole Dragon, for a bit of profit, but he's so sketchy and sporadic that I'm not sure if hes actually going to get it or not. He bought rims and tires for it, and won't answer any questions about when he might pick up.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
Decided to deal with the stupidest problem first, this leaking POS. Paleyjim offered to weld it. It's very thin it may not work. Worth a try. I have a stick welder set up now but haven't ever used it before.

I'm possibly proceeding with the twin turbos, the abs delete will possibly start without a proportioning valve at all, it seems that the abs modules in a fail state are still driveable.

2.5 hours to siphon it out and drop the tank.

Taking the injector testing rig up to paleyjims' house to see what the pattern is on a new injector nozzle, and see if I need new nozzles or not. In my opinion, cleaning them seems to hurt the pattern should be able to test that.

With everything going on, It did try to buy a new Ram truck, but even with my dealership connections it didn't work out. 620 a month is just too much.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #187 (Edited)
Last weekend, I got the truck running.

The marine nozzle injector rebuild process was pretty time intensive but "I've done it". No visible leaks on the bodies or return. Decent performance.

Paleyjim did an excellent job on the tank, its bone dry. Not killing grass or stinking up the garage anymore.

The manifolds and crossover went back on without major hitches, had to "borrow" bolts from my spare 6.2 and spare 6.5 to make a set I'd trust for more than a couple years. enough anti-sieze on those little picks to make the tin man blush . Cleaned the passenger side exhaust ports up, huge pieces of casting slag hanging out in them. The firewall insulation collapsed and was beginning to melt against the exhaust, that got pulled out. Threw my new CDR on it, new 60g glow plugs and a new air cleaner. Brand new MTP-78 batteries.

Block heater was messy but doable and is dry, no leaks. Had some hitches getting it due to the virus. Block heater

Performance is on par. No overwhelming improvements. More than ever, signs point to my glow plug harness as it starts EXACTLY as bad as it did when I began this mess. Awesome. Hundreds of hours wasted compensating for not having a truck, saving for parts, researching and learning to build injectors, tearing apart and putting back together. But some peace of mind.

Already hauling lots of wood with it, and doing the first side job with it this weekend. Need to get up a dollar total for the last mess and this one!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
Updates to life:

Sold the dragon for a slight profit. Hauled it a fair distance and got paid for it. Bought a dishwasher with the iota of profits. Cut dish time in half or less. Able to do more in life.
What a fiasco that was. I had a guy interested in the axle, day 1 that I posted it.

We went back and forth for months and months, and decided he wanted the whole truck. He hemmed and hawed I had time to haul it.

Girlfriend and I drove about 7 hours with it. The guy cancelled the appointment several times to drop off due to car troubles. We stayed overnight, (which we had planned to do anyway) but it ruined several planned vacation-y things to do while down there. Finally, we showed up for the appointment, waited three hours at an abandoned farm for this guy to show up, no calls, no responses to social media, 3 hours late for the appointment.

They were pulling in as I was backing out the driveway to get back to Illinois with the truck.

I am to be working from home until indefinitely. I'm looking into selling my 2016 Subaru Legacy daily driver and rely on the truck. Truck needs a few things, but gets down the road okay.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
Yesterday marks the first big trip (180 miles with a horse trailer) since reassembly. It's needed the oil changed in the worst way for awhile now but didn't have time to do it pre trip.

This picture is in a farm store parking lot. I had to pee but the truck had to pee worse. 1 gallon of Dexcool in about 20 seconds when I shut the engine off. Turns out the coolant line that runs along the top of the airbox was kinked. And the cap was loose to the first detent. No overheating. Dexcool sold at the farm store and a shady spot to park!!!

Made the trip but now my low coolant switch is on all the time. Also lost my passenger mirror glass sometime last year so I panic bought a clip on tow mirror at the farm store too which worked great, will have to get another one of those!

Changed the oil and greased the front end last night switching to 5-40 rotella. Truck seems to crank easier even with the engine warm. Ready to work this weekend.

Some other crap on the list

Get the car detailed and sold.
Mirror with glass on it, a door speakers, door pins and bushings, rust remediation
Taillight that isn't held on with electrical tape
Grease wiper linkages, replace wiper blades, fix squirter issue
Should do something about the headlights, they really suck.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #190

A 16 foot car trailer of silver maple, a bit of a bed load of maple, and 8 bags of horse feed up by the cab. No idea what the rolling weight would be but it was the heaviest thing I've ever pulled with the truck. It did okay but definitely struggled. Didn't take too long to get to 1200 degrees egt pulling hills but I backed out of it once it got there. I figured I'd pour the beans to it a little bit just to get it cleaned out.

The thing that started to whimper was the transmission. A couple times 20 mile trip, it began to hunt gears somewhat. Did tow in overdrive.

Not a ton of power available. I wish I could have scaled it. I was not feeling incredible about how it handled the whole thing, but it did it. It was more than 14000 lbs gvw which was the last heaviest load I had on it.

I pulled into the driveway and let idle while dropping the trailer. When I went to pull away, it stalled. Last time it did that was because the overrun clutch was stuck in the trans or it had a bad PMD. That was worrisome. Let it idle till it was nice and cool. Trans fluid doesn't smell burnt.

Guess I get to split and stack that mess today. Maybe head back for another load.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Sounds like a productive trip. Good you made it W/O the help of AAA. I use-ta haul my FILs 25' sailboat about 100+ miles, mostly hyway driving. C-30 dually, N/A 6.2, SM465, 4.10s. Not sure about the weights. No problem getting it moving. "BIG" problem trying to climb hills at 55 MPH. Blew many head gaskets after those excursions.
Good luck on your next outing.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
Thanks Joeq. I'm sure that was much heavier than what I am dealing with. Did you lug it down or let it scream when you were trying to pull the hills?

Yesterday for the second trip it was hotter, 90 degrees ambient. I loaded the trailer better and even loaded it heavier than last time. Seemed to pull and ride much nicer than the first conniption. Too much weight on the tongue. When I got home, it did not want to start after stopping the engine. Cranked 3 times, then tried stomping the pedal. That seemed to work. Each time I get off the road with a load like that I crack the hood and let it idle till the EGT's are 200 degrees and the coolant temp is below 200.

Took a quick ride and drive to the farm store (didn't want to parade into town with a loaded trailer) in my brother in laws 2008 LMM truck. Sobering difference between that and my heap. His is bone stock.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Tongue weight is critical. I once had my car on a trailer, and had to overload my tongue, cause of a defective hitch latch. Towed awful, like I had twice the weight. Overheated the engine...blew a head gasket. Luckily didn't crack anything.
When towing the sailboat, it couldn't maintain 55 climbing hills, and because of the awful spread between 2nd and 3rd gear of the SM465, I would need to downshift when slowed to 45, which would scream the engine. I had to floor it to climb the hills. No EGT gauge (like you intelligently installed), but I'm sure it was in meltdown mode.

You are complaining about hard starting when hot? My 93 stakebed with the 6.2 is beginning to do that. Getting worse. When I 1st purchased the truck, it was it's main problem. I wrote a thread, when I cured it, about the fuel shut-off valve melted in the IP. I hear people replacing their expensive IPs, because they condemn it when they throw water to cool it, and it starts. I want to see if the shut-off valve could react like that test. It's easier and cheaper to replace the shut-off valve, rather than condemming the entire unit. Haven't proved it yet, but will post the results, when I have time to work on it. I'll let you now 1st. Hang in there.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
At least you got it home with the bad latch, but jeez what a steep price to pay for a $10 part. Ive only driven one SM465 truck (1974 F250 Higboy) and the spread was pretty big. Seems like they could have taken a bite out of the granny gear and evened the spread instead of making it sloppier than a friggin tractor but a gas has extra revs to mess with that the diesel does not .Are you still running that truck/block/block heads? Do you have an EGT gauge now?I'll watch for your thread, interesting theory you have there on the pump fix.

Brother in law sold his trailer, which is a bummer because I really liked the way it worked for hauling wood, just didn't have the money or the outright need for it. The car had a serious bite but they were a full grand away from what I could begin to let it go for.

The truck has only recently done a "stall" once and a "no/delayed start hot" once. I guess I'm documenting, and putting it out there than complaining. Also praying that it doesn't keep happening.. Meanwhile, I'll keep hoping my IP stays healthy. I've had some simple things degrade into extreme problems that took a lot of hard work/time to fix, and have had about enough of that stuff.

As the injectors break in and the truck gets used more and more, the cold start seems to be getting just a little easier and a bit less smoky. The almost extreme oil leaks that were exacerbated by a bad CDR seem to have subsided, potentially to zero. The oil (possibly) was getting on the belt from the crank area leak I'm assuming, and causing a constant belt noise. That seems to have gone down to occasionally when cold now.

Have quad sealed beam housings coming my way. Have some ideas for retrofit in those buckets that should be pretty good thanks to Paleyjim. Now to keep the project below $500.

181 - 194 of 194 Posts