Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well It was bound to happen 2000 miles on the lbz, been working 14hrs a day helping my sis with some much needed repairs around her house. I was on my way home with thoughts of a cold frosty beverage when I realized I needed "fuel" so I stoped at the local pit stop to fill up! I looked at the price of diesel fuel and said wow it's realy cheep here. I jumped out and started to fill'er up when I got to 20 gallon I always stop and give the diesel foam time to settel when I noticed that this diesel was not foaming!:eek: OMGosh! I had pumped 21.6 Gallon of 87 octane GASSSSSS! -:t After my dad towed me home and 4hrs of draining the tank later all was ok! Luckly I caught it before I tried to start it or even cycle the fuel pump but still, what a pain! Well That is a lesson that I will never forget
"never assume anything"

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
Invention of the Week.

Develop a sensor that can tell the difference, and hook it up to an alarm system.

Have the alarm sound be selected quotes from Forrest Gump, The Jerk, or Dumb and Dumber.

:D

Thank goodness you caught it in time. Usually these threads are "My truck runs like crap!! What do you think is wrong?"

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No I caught it just in time she still purrs like a mountain lion But believe me This was a lesson well learned!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When the glow plugs go south does this create a hard start problem or is there a diffrent concern?

·
Registered
118 Posts
When the glow plugs go south does this create a hard start problem or is there a diffrent concern?
Oh, there's a different concern, all right. I hope you never have to go through what a lot of us are now going through with these south-bound glow plugs...Carmine

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I'm buying a billet locking fuel door when I upgrade to a Supertank and I will keep the only key.

That way *I* will be the only person who will put fuel in the truck... and with 52 gallons, it would be an expensive mistake if someone else were to screw up.

With 52 gallons, there's no reason why anyone else using my truck might need to add fuel other than to "do me the favor" before returning it. No thanks... just read the fuel used off of the DIC and give me the cash :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
That reminds of an episode of the Amazing Race a week or so ago. Just about everyone put gas in their diesel vehicles, they drove off until the motors sputtered & died. A few of 'em figured it out right away & draned the tanks right along side of the road.

Anyway, glad you caught it in time.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks man But I was wondering would this have KILLED my motor or just ran like poo?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I had an employee that filled the tank of my 99 7.3L F350 with gasoline. I am not how much diesel was mixed with it but he drove it back to the yard about 50 miles. It barely ran but it would nearly make the speed limit. We drained it and refilled with diesel and it has been fine ever since. This was about 6 years ago.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The other side

And then there`s putting Diesel in a Gas?

Years ago one of my first jobs was night manager at a Truck Stop. Car hauler came in the middle of the night and tanked up. Off He went till `bout 3 hours later the State Police was on the phone. Such n such trucker down needs Tow back to your shop.

We`d filled it up with Diesel. Truck driver was furious due to the Engine being a Test engine from GM on a very tight Test Run. Never heard any more.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Invention of the Week.

Develop a sensor that can tell the difference, and hook it up to an alarm system.

?"
They have one. It is called the selector switch for the grade of fuel.

A guy at work did the same thing. He is actually attempting to sue the gas station for the damage to his truck.

He thought all green hoses were diesel pumps. He failed to realize that he also had to choose the regular, mid, or premium.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Years ago I worked in a gas station. A lady came in in a Olds 88 and it had the word diesel below it. The gas cap said diesel only etc. Here her husband bought the car blown up and replaced it with a gasser. How was I to know. I didn't here it drive up

·
Banned
1,840 Posts
Close one... good catch tho.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
What happens if the fuel tanker puts gasoline in the station's diesel tank? Wouldn't the station be responsible for that? Has this happened to anyone?

·
Registered
5,255 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
I developed the habit many years ago of smelling the pump nozzel after pumping a gallon or two of diesel fuel into my truck during a fillup. I know it looks funny; removing the fuel nozzel and sniffing the pump nozzel, but my sniffer is pretty good and it keeps me from accidentally fueling with gasoline. Bristol Bound!!!):h ):h ):h ):h ):h

Truck on!!!:cool:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts