Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a June 1996 I recieved a shinny New 1995 C-2500 6.5TD it had 200 miles on the odometer. I wrote a check for a flat $20,000 and got the paper work and keys. Now 203,000 miles later it works out the accusition cost of this truck has been now less than 10 CENTS per mile driven. So I be the founding member of the TEN CENT TRUCK CLUB. Seems every one here at the "Place" is a club member of some sort so, I think this is a good club to start and be a member of!!!! :driver: I'm hoping the old girl has another 100K without major problems in her!

·
Registered
50 Posts
well im already in the 5 doller club and i have only had my truck for about 5 months. :) dam i drive alot

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
would that include all the stuff in your sig. if so congrats if not definately way to go

·
Registered
227 Posts
Well, Ihave not had my 6.5 long at all. but my old 6.2 i paid $2450 for, and have put just over 500k on it. I would have to figure that out, but I am sure I got my moneys worth out of it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well, Ihave not had my 6.5 long at all. but my old 6.2 i paid $2450 for, and have put just over 500k on it. I would have to figure that out, but I am sure I got my moneys worth out of it.
HAHA thats $.0049 per mile not including fuel and maintenance

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
My first 6.2/700R4 purchased new in 82 for $11.600 had saved on fuel cost ,alone, the entire price of the truck vs a 350 gasser,, over 180.000 miles.This is based on a good friends purchase & use of a C10 gasser,using his MPG figures vs mine.I actually towed his truck once,on a bet with my 6.2,getting better MPG than it got by itself. The gasser was about $8000 new. There were times we towed our racers & trailers that I got double his MPG. Of course he could go faster up the hills,that was his source of pride!! LOL Break in trip solo,Chicago to Los Angeles, $37.00 fuel cost.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
$1.30 "ish" per mile so far. bought at 89k for $10k. Spend about $3k in 'upgrades' and repairs (actually $1k was spent on parts, towing, service because I got a faulty pcm when I bought my reflash)

I'm still a long ways off from joining the the 10 cent club....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
It's not a 6.5, but...

If you figure it with the miles I have personally put on the truck, it works out to somewhere around $0.11. If you figure it with the total miles on the truck, it works out to something like $0.0015. Is that close enough to qualify, or do I have to put another 500 miles on first? :confused: :D

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Acquisition cost minus current residual value and 100,000 miles driven and I'm at $.15, not including upgrades and repairs.

Looked at differently, I'm at just under $200 per month, not too bad I think.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Do I have to figure in the money the ex and I spent, fighting over the sub, when we were getting divorced??

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
Purchase price: $18K

New engine: $4.5K

Source of money for new engine: 401(k) ):h

Fuel burned: 8275 gallons (estimate)

Cost of fuel $12412 (1.50 gallon average)

Oil and Oil Changes $400 (estimate)

Tires: $1300 (estimate)

Misc parts and service $1500 (estimate)

total expenditures $37712

Residual Value $8000 (not market price, but what I would take for it)

Total Cost of ownership $29712

Miles since purchase: 120k

Cost per mile 24.76 cents (not including insurance)

Having a great truck that has become a part of my identity... PRICELESS

Tim

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
You all are forgetting the indirect costs that drive the cost of ownership of nearly EVERYTHING (except a home and MAYBE a vehicle used for business like towing RVs or something) loses money on. That is the value of the money itself. All the money you have spent COULD have been put into savings to draw interest which is a REAL cost of owning something.

I doubt many are truly in the 10 cent club IF that is factored.

My fuel costs alone are at more than $.15/mile at the current prices of fuel. :( I quit trying to see what it costs to own my truck, its too upsetting. Plus I never seem to include everything, something always arises.

Congrats on the low direct costs/mile though, those are phenominal.

C-ya

·
Registered
740 Posts
0.11 per mile... only counting the miles on the truck vs price of the truck in 94. I don't want to count the other money spent on it, because I spent it just for fun of it:D

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
You all are forgetting the indirect costs that drive the cost of ownership of nearly EVERYTHING (except a home and MAYBE a vehicle used for business like towing RVs or something) loses money on. That is the value of the money itself. All the money you have spent COULD have been put into savings to draw interest which is a REAL cost of owning something.

I doubt many are truly in the 10 cent club IF that is factored.

My fuel costs alone are at more than $.15/mile at the current prices of fuel. :( I quit trying to see what it costs to own my truck, its too upsetting. Plus I never seem to include everything, something always arises.

Congrats on the low direct costs/mile though, those are phenominal.

C-ya

not "forgetting"....I prefer "politely ignoring"...

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Darnit...:eek:

I guess I should start the "Over $7.00 a mile club". I have way to much into mine and only about 7,000 miles!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Darnit...:eek:

I guess I should start the "Over $7.00 a mile club". I have way to much into mine and only about 7,000 miles!
We don't call them Durabucks for nothing...):h :muahaha:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We don't call them Durabucks for nothing...):h :muahaha:
I believe the Proper spelling is DuraBux.....):h

Oh and I do understand the Time Value of money and no I didn't include, upgrades, fuel, maintaince, parking tickets, speeding tickets, insurance or anything else. I was using purchase price. I also don't worry about "residual" value as that is not a concern with a truck you intend on driving until it dies. I'm just a simple guy that likes to keep things simple.

·
Registered
308 Posts
82 3/4 truck, over 200k miles, all costs including
purchase price, less than $0.11 per mile

Of course Diesel was much cheaper ( especially Heating oil )

1 - 20 of 29 Posts