Diesel Place banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I’ve been watching intently on the histrionics that the motorcycle community is having regarding the pending implementation of new EPA regulations. I think it has implications to our community.

As you may know, it is illegal to modify your vehicle with the intention of altering the emissions controls. Now, that may not be the most accurate quote but the impact to the motorcycle community is enormous. The aftermarket for motorcycles is huge: electronics, fuel, engines, exhaust. For years, the EPA regs have been violated by the motorcycle community if for no better reason that it was largely a boutique industry. Now they’re getting attention and there’s a lot of fear out there. It’s far from settled as to how these new laws will be applied and what level of grandfathering will occur.

Without a doubt, manufacturers will work harder at masking their performance parts (not gaudy style parts) to avoid detection. Still, the challenge the EPA has will be determining just who’s cheating and who isn’t? Unless you have S&S heads proudly proclaiming their presence, how will the EPA know? In the absence of an on board diagnostic to tattle on the owner, the EPA is stuck putting a sniffer to your bike. Now, your ride may be poorly maintained and emitting excessively or you may have put on a thinner head gasket, put on a larger carb, honed your intake, and gutted your exhaust. Because we work on our own vehicles and have become intimately familiar with them doesn’t mean that the person checking your vehicle will have a clue. I mean, these are government jobs and no one goes to college to learn to operate an exhaust sniffer. In all likelihood the person sticking the wand up the exhaust pipe got fired from running the fryer at McDonalds last week and, having looked at 200 cars since then, doesn’t have any commitment to whether you pass or not.

What I’m seeing is that individual states are responding with expanded programs to verify compliance with EPA regulations. They revolve around OBD-II evaluations and use your own vehicle’s system to rat you out. It appears that is the only reader that will be used and pre-96 vehicles with OBD-II systems are getting a two position idle sample. Neither pop the hood and there is still no defined method of evaluating bikes effectively. My fear for motorcycles is that you might have actually made your bike cleaner but because your bike doesn’t have pipes that look like the picture on the website, you’re screwed.

For those of us with OBD-I systems, I think you’ll be fine whatever method is applied in evaluating our vehicles. Make sure you’re vehicle is warmed up and that alone will likely get you through. For OBD-II systems, if you’re going to mod your vehicle you better have a scan tool and make sure you’re not showing any codes that might be viewed as emissions related before you go in for evaluation.

Punishment is the remaining issue. Is the person who removes the malfunctioning EGR system on their diesel because they can’t afford to take it to the shop to fix it or even pay the cost of parts a criminal? Yep. Is malice involved? Not in the fashion of say a murder or even being to lazy to recycle paint and just pouring it in a hole in the back yard. This is the result of our nanny minded, self-righteous and unelected government officials putting their tiny minds together. You wouldn’t let someone slap a beer out of your hand but if some treehugging wonk takes $10,000 out of your pocket because your vehicle pollutes a little too much, well….

Maybe the right answer is to tuck your actual OBD-II plug up under the dash and put a dummy plug in its place that’s hooked up the amplifier on your vehicles monster-blower stereo.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Maybe the right answer is to tuck your actual OBD-II plug up under the dash and put a dummy plug in its place that’s hooked up the amplifier on your vehicles monster-blower stereo.
my guess is shortly after they require obd-II on motorcycles they will come after our gas lawnmowers. one question about the tests for m/c is how would they do the roadtest aspect of it. right now they put the truck on a dynamometer. also use a dummy obd-II connected to a battery big enuf to fry their equipment.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, but it'd be more fun if it blew like a tranformer in a twister.

As it is, most motorcycles are running management systems that offer coded info and even Harley is going with an open loop system.

What path diesels take? How about a cheater chip that goes from normal ops to lean burn on command? It's not like we have the same problem gas engines do when going lean.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Finally, someone who thinks like I do! :lol:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
OBDII is our friend.

Oh wait, I dont have emission testing yet. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts