Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 411 miles followed by 5 days in the dealer service department, "The Silver Fox" is back on the road. :D Replacing first the drive shaft seals, then the entire drive shaft, and finally the entire rear brake assembly including rotors, caliper's and the entire rerar brake assembly, the dealer finally determined both brake rotors on "The Silver Fox" were not true causing the metallic rubbing sound. The problem appears to be repaired. The rubbing rhythmic metallic noise problem speed affected vedry audible noise was identified immediately when we took delikvery on Jan 27th and pulled out of the dealership parking lot and accellerated up through apaprox 15 mph and got progressively faster and worse as speed increased. The dealer was very diligent in getting to the root of the problem. Who would have guessed two new factory installed brake rotor's would be out of round. Love the truck and what a wonderful piece of machinery. All is well now.

Truck on!!!:cool:

·
Registered
468 Posts
".....the dealer finally determined both brake rotors on "The Silver Fox" were not true causing the metallic rubbing sound."
Don,

Could you feel a puling in the brake pedal? Seems unusual that two rotors on the same truck would be bent. Sort of makes me wonder if the truck slipped off the assembly line some how and damaged them while being built? :confused:

Glad it's fixed, now you can put some miles on. :ro)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don,

Could you feel a puling in the brake pedal?
No. There was no pulsing sensation in the brake pedal and no steer pull when braking at all which is why I think noone suspected brake rotors. I would feel a small amount of pedal pulse if I really stood on the brakes but being new, I tried hard not to overuse the brakes. Once, the day before we took the truck back to the dealer, traffic stopped suddenly and I had to brake hard and I felt a short burst of pedal pulse but assumed it was due to the hard braking. I drove her to work this morning and what a treat it is to drive her. "The Silver Fox" is one marvelous piece of machinery. We're looking forward to hitchin up our 5'er this evening and heading south on a maiden voyage. Details to follow.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Glad to hear it's fixed, crickeydog.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Similar problem to mine. All i was experiencing was a very loud squeal in the rear brakes. After two triips to the dealer, they decided that the lateral runout on the rear rotors was out of spec. After truing them all seems to be well, also in new pads.

Keep watching for future developments.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
your "short burst of pedal pulse" was probably the ABS working... it'll pulse the pedal as it applies then releases brake pressure

·
Registered
272 Posts
why did they not find that on the PDI test drive? makes you wonder if they were doing their job.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Glad to hear this! ..Now get out there and enjoy that awesome ride!!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Glad you got The Silver Fox back into action. Now you can go drive the wheels off of it.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
your "short burst of pedal pulse" was probably the ABS working... it'll pulse the pedal as it applies then releases brake pressure

Bet you're right. Never even thought of that.:rolleyes: thanks.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
why did they not find that on the PDI test drive? makes you wonder if they were doing their job.
When we picked up "The silver Fox", she had 3 miles on her. Gues there wasn't a PDI. that's ok, we did our own PDI!!):h

·
Registered
304 Posts
Not to change the subject but....

Congrats on the new truck and solving your problems Crickeydog. I think I've seen your posts at RV.NET so I'm asking this question. I'm pricing out a 2006 LBZ powered truck, and I will use it to tow my fifth wheel trailer. The 2500HD, 3500 SRW, and the 3500DRW, and I've tried to keep all the options exactly the same. Only one vehicle offered the option of 3.73 rear end, is it because the others only come that way? I plan on mostly highway driving, with some steep grades. What axle ratio should I get on my new truck? :help2: Thanks, Mike.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Congrats on the new truck and solving your problems Crickeydog. I think I've seen your posts at RV.NET so I'm asking this question. I'm pricing out a 2006 LBZ powered truck, and I will use it to tow my fifth wheel trailer. The 2500HD, 3500 SRW, and the 3500DRW, and I've tried to keep all the options exactly the same. Only one vehicle offered the option of 3.73 rear end, is it because the others only come that way? I plan on mostly highway driving, with some steep grades. What axle ratio should I get on my new truck? :help2: Thanks, Mike.
IIRC all the D/A trucks come with only the 3.73 gears.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
What axle ratio should I get on my new truck? :help2: Thanks, Mike.
The"wadone1" is right. With the D/A in 2500 & 3500 SRW/DRW the only rear end gear's available are 3.73. I would have preferred 4.10 or 4.30 but no lower gear option is available. We're heading to Bristol, Tn. next month for the Food City 500 and I'll give you a towing report as there are some reasonable grades (5% to 7%) along the way. Not that a 1 mile 7% grade will give a true account of what to expect out west in the Rockies but it'll do for now. I wasn't sold on a dually; in fact we went into researching our new truck with a SRW in mind. However, after test towing a 14k lb 5er with a 2006 3500 DRW D/A LLY, I was completely sold on ordering a DRW. Yes it's true, you can't get 'em (DRW) through the car wash, or the Chic-Fil-A drive thru, and you have to buy 6 tires vs. 4 (all of my previous aguements); but, one test tow with the LLY DRW and I was absolutely amazed at the difference in control I felt vs. our SRW Ford we were replacing. Do yourself a favor, consider the DRW 1 ton before spending money. Everyone's truck application is different however. If I were using "The Silver Fox" as a daily driver and for towing, I probablywould have still bought a SRW 1 ton. But "The Silver Fox" is only used for towing our 13k lb 5'er. If she's not tugging our 5'er, she'll seldom ever move. BTW: You said you're pricing out your truck, the difference in price between a SRW & DRW is marginal. "The Silver Fox" listed for just over $53k and we bought her cash out the door for $43,164.10, plus 6% Ga. sales tax, tag, & title. I couldn't get the dealer to round down the .10. I really think you owe it to yourself to onsider a DRW. This coming from a previous diehard SRW truck fan. Good luck.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Simple problem

I have a 2002 6.0L gasser and tow a 32', 9500lb Jayco. I have to watch every pound I put in the unit as I'm already over the trucks GCVWR. We always plan on having a camper, and I probably won't buy a longer one. It will just be heavier. A forum member is willing to provide a GM certificate, so it's just a matter of waiting for my money to be available on April 9th. I also plan to pay cash as it seems the way to get the best deal. I don't plan on getting all the options, but was wondering about the mirrors on your truck. Which version are they? Did GM put a 7 pin connector in the bed for you or did you have to install it yourself? Have you heard of anyone having the overheating issue with the new LBZ trucks? Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wondering about the mirrors on your truck. Which version are they? Did GM put a 7 pin connector in the bed for you or did you have to install it yourself? Have you heard of anyone having the overheating issue with the new LBZ trucks? Thanks, Mike

The mirrors we ordered are option code "DPN" and were $238.00 on our order. They are manual extending with integral split convex/heated/turn signal's. First time I used them I felt like I was using my bifocal glasses for the first time again. :Insane: Definitely order the 5th wheel 7 pin bed connector, option code "UY2" , $35, for your 5'er connection in the truck bed. This bed wiring harness comes from the factory coiled up and taped to your truck's frame visible/accessable betwen the rear of the cab and the truck bed. Have your RV dealer mount a female 7 pin receptacle (not provided by GM) in the bed of your truck where you want it using the GM provided optional wiring harness. The overheating problem, as I undersand it, was a problem with some 04 and 05 LLY motors that so far, has not surfaced with the 06 LLY & LBZ motors. The LBZ motor has only been available since Oct 05 so time will tell if similar problems with the LBZ will occur. My boss has an 06 LLY D/A CC DRW 4X4 and tow's a 14k lb 5'er and he has not had an overheating problem yet.

FWIW, I ordered the dual alternator option.:grd: Previously, our 145amp alternator on our Ford 7.3 would fail to fully charge out 5'er's batteries when running at night with all of the running lights burning. I wanted "more power" this time so I ordered the dual alternator option that provides for 2, 105amp alternators. Boooyahhhhhh!!!!!!

Good luck and keep us posted on your order.

Truck on!!! :cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts