Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must say I'm not posting these pic's because I want to talk bad about a MFG. but this is really bad. Peope need to now what they are putting on there trucks before they have a kit installed. I know it's hard to take a step back and check into defferent kits that are out there but this is somthing that can happen to anyone that does't look into things. You look at these pic's and as you are looking at them ask yourself if it would be worth the greatest deal on the world to have somthing like this installed on your truck and have yourself and or family riding in it.

Here is what happened,
The local body shop calls us and says they have a truck that the front wheel fell off on the freeway then crashed into the wall. After looking at the front end for a second I see that they installed shocks to the factory UCA and the upper ball joint socket was missing. The problem is that the factory ball joint is pressed in from the top down and when using stock size tires you will not have a problem. When you install shocks that are pussing down on the factory UCA and you have your wheel and spindle pushing up on the ball joint also add the larger tire, at some point it will pop out and take you for a ride. The body shop gave us the OK to take the truck apart to see if there was more issue's. At the point of taking the front end apart we found that the frame had been bent from the crash. Said that the truck had a bent frame and was going to cost way to much to fix and it was totaled......

OH..
If any of you know this truck or the shop that built it please keep it to yourself. This post is not to show off a shops bad work. I just want people to see the bad side of the things that people over look when lifting there truck.

Nor-Cal Nick

(Image has been resized. Click it for full size.)

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
:drop_mout Has the lawsuit started yet.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
that is terrible.even though you said,or at least thats what i got from what you said and i could be wrong, it was mostly/all installer error but those pics are why i went with Cognito.and glad i did now. finally did something right.

im sure there is thousands of people riding around with that lift with no problems and some of them are probably happy they have that lift and not a Cognito,CST,etc..

·
Registered
902 Posts
thank god noone was hurt

·
Registered
482 Posts
Cut too fit and paint too match, pretty chitty work...-:t

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
wow that sucks but was it the ball joint coming out or did the spindle break or was it the combo of having the ball joint pop lose and the amount of play it gave then. this is why i am constantly under and around my truck checking everything my boss thinks i am crazy when he sees me checking stuff so much

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
wow, very bad design.
look at the bright side though, almost everything that is damaged comes off when you do an sas.

·
Premium Member
9,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
04llygmc;1604902; said:
:drop_mout Has the lawsuit started yet.
- No lawsuit that I know of.

B-rad;1604918; said:
that is terrible.even though you said,or at least thats what i got from what you said and i could be wrong, it was mostly/all installer error but those pics are why i went with Cognito.and glad i did now. finally did something right.
- The error here is that no UCA upgrade was used with the dual shocks.

jdugie123;1605026; said:
wow that sucks but was it the ball joint coming out or did the spindle break or was it the combo of having the ball joint pop lose and the amount of play it gave then. this is why i am constantly under and around my truck checking everything my boss thinks i am crazy when he sees me checking stuff so much
- The ball joint pushed out of the UCA and then pulled out of the socket and then the spindle fell over braking the lower spindle.

red suburban;1605057; said:
wow, very bad design.
look at the bright side though, almost everything that is damaged comes off when you do an sas.
- You didn't catch the part where the frame was bent and the truck was totaled......

Nor-Cal Nick

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Maybe people will understand now why this company gets bagged on all the time. Granted they may make a decent lift that takes the abuse, but to have somthing leave their shop like that is total BS. Not only are they putting their customers at risk, but everyone around them as well.

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
But do you guy know for sure that this kit was installed by a shop and not a DIYer?

·
Registered
16,973 Posts
dozerboy;1605312; said:
But do you guy know for sure that this kit was installed by a shop and not a DIYer?
That was going to be my next question.. Seems like a lot of weird looking stuff done that a shop, esp FTS would not do. But I could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
9,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
dozerboy;1605312; said:
GMC2500HD;1605318; said:
That was going to be my next question.. Seems like a lot of weird looking stuff done that a shop, esp FTS would not do. But I could be wrong.

No, the kit was installed by a shop. No FTS did not do the install. There was stickers on the front cross member that I blacked out because I'm not trying to put that shop down for this.

Nor-Cal Nick

·
Registered
11,953 Posts
So in your oppinion the shop did a good job with the install?

·
Premium Member
9,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ratlover;1605364; said:
So in your oppinion the shop did a good job with the install?

In my opinion the install was not as clean as others. All the cuts made to install this kit could have been cleaner. But other than that I say they did OK with what they where working with. My main focus is the style of how this kit installs. I get many people asking me what is the difference between the kits on the market today. I can only say so many words to help them understand how some of them are but pics are worth a thousand words. That frame on that truck has been cut up and welded on to the point of not being able to put back to stock very easy. I know most people would not be happy with that.

I know there are many people running these lifts and say they like them. I'm not saying their kits are not stong. Any other kit would have had the same damage after crashing like this truck did. But what I want people to see is how this kit is typically installed. You shouldn't and don't need to cut and weld as much as this kit needs you to do. I don't know of any of my customers that would be happy picking their truck up and finding that I installed one of these kits under their truck. The fact that the installer didn't use a UCA upgrade was the reason why this truck broke.

Nor-Cal Nick

·
Registered
470 Posts
How is the dual shock mount attached to the UCA? It looks to be welded. If it is welded, could the heat have weakened the ball joint socket?

eta: going back to look at it, it appears to be welded. I would blame the heat around the ball joint causing the ball joint socket failure. That's just stupid IMO.

·
Registered
11,953 Posts
So the installer should have used a different UCA? Is this availible from this manufacturer?

I dont see the issue with welding if the customer knows what they are getting up front and dont care personaly. If I hade the option of easily removed or not all else being equal I would prefer to be able to go back to stock.....but it personaly wouldnt make me that weary of welding a kit on if needed if it were better. But my friends think I'm nuts......I welded a pair of camaro buckets into an 85 Chevy I had.....my friends thought I was stupid and asked what i would do if I needed to remove em. "Um....thats what a sawsall is for:rolleyes:" was my reply witch they countered with "well how are you going to reinstall em?" "with my miller, same way they got in there the first place" Seemed logical to me......they thought I was stupid though ):h

Welding or using a plasma cutter dosnt bother me.....a wheel falling off would though :eek2: ;) ):h

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.