Diesel Place banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Just checked one of my card lock bills and the difference is 11.5C per liter. The road tax on clear is 14.3 C, but the base on dyed is a bit higher.
I have found it not worth the risk, have been dipped once with no problem. A friend was dipped up north and the sample was send for lab check, it came back with trace amounts of the dye tracer. He was fined and checked with his supplier. ( truck was never filled with dyed diesel!?) They filled his dyed tank was first and the clear next without cleaning the fill hose on the truck. That was enough to fail the test. His supplier paid the fine and explained the issue to the enforcement branch. He avoided a full audit (can go back 7 years as by tax law). This is why I only use card lock as it provides for easy and reliable records incase one does get an audit.
Does that suggest you could win a fuel tax case, if you have journaled every fill, dealer & location? Maybe be helpful.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Good write-up Mark. What's the average price for red-diesel? For a comparison, clear-diesel is $1.22 around here......
why so cheap, i just bought some for $3.99 here......

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
why so cheap, i just bought some for $3.99 here......
I'm from Canada. That's $1.22 per liter. There are 3.78 liters in a gallon. Therefore the avg. price around here is ~$4.60 a gallon.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Does that suggest you could win a fuel tax case, if you have journaled every fill, dealer & location? Maybe be helpful.
Yes it may get you out of hotwater, specially if you use both at the same location or in the same company. Also for ifta purposes it is helpfull...

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have been wondering if you are running ATF in your fuel as an additive like some do won't that cause a red tint to you fuel? If you get dipped and say you are running ATF in your fuel would they buy it. Just make sure you always have some with you to show and its for your next fill up.

·
Just Horsing Around
17,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I have been wondering if you are running ATF in your fuel as an additive like some do won't that cause a red tint to you fuel? If you get dipped and say you are running ATF in your fuel would they buy it. Just make sure you always have some with you to show and its for your next fill up.
Yes, it will dye it red. No, they don't care how it got that way, and having a bottle of ATF with you won't magically get you out of a ticket. You will be fined and have to prove your innocence in court, and that could be difficult without expensive lab tests to prove that the red colouring is coming from the ATF, and not fuel dye.

That aside, ATF is not good to be burning in your engine. For lubricity, Use 2-Cycle oil instead - not only was it meant to be burned to begin with, but it will only dye your fuel blue instead of red, and blue isn't a problem colour when you get dipped.

·
Resident Pinhead
6,638 Posts
not only that but newer ATF has additives in it that aid the tranny clutches in gripping. i dunno about you but i dont really want grippy stuff in my injection system lol.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Great thread with alot of very good info on what off road diesel is. Here is more info on the fines in the US.

I delivered diesel, kerosene and #2 (home heating oil) for a number of years. Off road diesel is diesel without the tax or at least that is the way it was when I delivers the stuff. As with anything there could be some tax on it now, but still alot less the regular diesel. (see the link below for the taxes per state) For the longest time the Feds couldn't make up there mind what color to dye what from red to blue to yellow and of coarse no die. At one point everthing had a colored dye including off road diesel. I have seen people try to get around the dies by adding there "own dye". The problem with that is it is different from the Feds dye. Sorta like counterfitting. They can tell the difference by testing. In the US the federal fines start at $10,000 and go up and then there is the state fines and the IRS (see the link below) and maybe even jail time.

I'll stick to buying my diesel at the pump and paying the tax. Hope this helps.

http://www.mainegasprices.com/tax_info.aspx

http://www.farmcpatoday.com/2010/10/07/the-use-of-dyed-diesel-leads-to-9000-irs-penalty/

·
Registered
1 Posts
I live in Oklahoma. I have a farm taxid number and also a farm tag on my truck. Since last year, it is 100% legal for me to run dyed diesel in my farm truck in Oklahoma. I haven't yet because I want to know if it voids my dodge warranty. It is the same ultra low sulphur diesel that I'm running now just red. Someone I know at the dodge dealership tells me that it voids my warranty if they find it in my truck. Does anyone know for sure. Really dont know why dodge would care since it was federally mandated that all diesel (on or off road) must be Ultra low sulphur by December 2010.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just done a little research. In North Dakota the fines are as follows:
1st Offense: $250 Fine
2nd Offense within 3 years of first offense: $500
3rd Offense within 3 years: $1000
Each fine there after: $5000

Everyone should figure out what the fines are for your state.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I live in Oklahoma. I have a farm taxid number and also a farm tag on my truck. Since last year, it is 100% legal for me to run dyed diesel in my farm truck in Oklahoma. I haven't yet because I want to know if it voids my dodge warranty. It is the same ultra low sulphur diesel that I'm running now just red. Someone I know at the dodge dealership tells me that it voids my warranty if they find it in my truck. Does anyone know for sure. Really dont know why dodge would care since it was federally mandated that all diesel (on or off road) must be Ultra low sulphur by December 2010.
I have been told the same thing by my Ford dealer. They more or less held me ransom to pay a large bill for replacing a NOX sensor when it should of been warranty work .. They said they won’t tell Ford and have my warranty voided if I pay the $950 bill.. What should a warranty have to do with dyed fuel?????

·
Registered
395 Posts
here is my advise... call an attorney. I'm pretty sure legally they cant do that nor report it to anyone. Technically its none of there business what diesel you run in your engine as long as its ULSD. There are too many different variables to this, for a dealership to make this claim.

·
Resident Gynecologist....
4,280 Posts
I am with surfacediver. They can't void your warranty for running red diesel in your truck. They can only void the warranty if they can prove it was not ULSD.

I would go further with this and have my say.

Had the same argument with some dealer here in the UK regarding some concrete pumping equipment. Since the trucks were only used on the road for a few days a month and the rest on site, they were allowed to run red diesel legally on the road provided they logged the "road used" mileage and submitted a tax payment for the road duty and tax which is 58p (87c) per litre and then 20% TAX.

They tried to void a warranty based on red diesel usage.

·
Registered
113 Posts
This was a great find and read. I've honestly never heard of red diesel until I saw this post. I think i'm just going to do the right thing and keep to the legal stuff. Especially since I am in the military. I don't think they'd like to hear I got caught doing this. Thanks for posting this.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Not sure about other places. But in Tn if it can be tagged it can't run off road diesel. My uncle got caugth with it in his Lime Truck. Never leaves the farm only dirt use. Tn tagged him $5000. for that one. Your only allowed to run it in anything that can't be tagged not that it does not have a tag. But if you could tag it and be legal on the road. They will fine you. Also there they do and can drive up to your farm or home and check your tanks without asking you. I know of 3 people in our family that got busted on this. Did they know they were breaking the laws? NO but did not matter as it was there duty to know what was and was not right. My father in law got hit with it also. And they tried to get him the bigger fine, as it was 2 times for him. But it was his twin brother they had gotten the week before. uncle Earl did not say anything to anyone about. As he did not want anyone thinking he was doing it knowing knowing he was braking the law.
So be careful just because your old truck has not be tagged in years does not mean you can't get you .
Pete

·
Registered
482 Posts
Don't know if this has been touched on or not, but I recently filled up one of my tanks with dyed diesel but where I got it, it was taxed, basically making it the same price as on road diesel. I don't know if they did this because it was a personal vehicle or if they through a tax on all sales and it just happened to amount to the same as regular diesel. But anyway, can you request to pay tax on the diesel and maybe keep the receipt in case you get dipped? Sounds like a long shot, but I like running it because they still use 500-ppm LSD instead of USLD. I can physically hear and feel the difference in the old 6.5td.

Also, one of the specialized fuel stops around here advertizes High sulfur diesel fuel. I called them up and they didn't know anything about it. Just wondering if they do carry it, can I burn it in my motor, or is this more of a generator or construction equipment fuel?

·
Just Horsing Around
17,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
You'll have a VERY difficult time proving in court that you were legal, even with a receipt for the fuel. Red dye on the road is bad, no matter what excuse or reasoning you try to use for it. The fuel station shouldn't be selling it for on-road use - probably some new kid there who didn't know the difference and just typed it into the till as regular road diesel even though he pumped dyed.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Don't know if this has been touched on or not, but I recently filled up one of my tanks with dyed diesel but where I got it, it was taxed, basically making it the same price as on road diesel. I don't know if they did this because it was a personal vehicle or if they through a tax on all sales and it just happened to amount to the same as regular diesel. But anyway, can you request to pay tax on the diesel and maybe keep the receipt in case you get dipped? Sounds like a long shot, but I like running it because they still use 500-ppm LSD instead of USLD. I can physically hear and feel the difference in the old 6.5td.

Also, one of the specialized fuel stops around here advertizes High sulfur diesel fuel. I called them up and they didn't know anything about it. Just wondering if they do carry it, can I burn it in my motor, or is this more of a generator or construction equipment fuel?
You can run dyed diesel... as long as it is not RED. I've seen fuel that has a slight green or yellow hint to it. Anything BUT RED.

Great thread. Nice I found the linky....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Several years ago a feller I know bought a used truck. He had it about two weeks got pulled over and dipped and got fined for having traces of red fuel. He told me he had just filled it up 2x at the regular diesel pump and had no idea about off road fuel. So I wouldn't chance it at all.

·
Resident Gynecologist....
4,280 Posts
well gonna wade back in on this. I have said that the people on the road that check your trucks for running red diesel KNOW before they pull you if you have red diesel in your tank by the smell from your tailpipe and no one believes me.

well all the equipment i have here runs on diesel, the generator, mini digger and skip loader. when I am running red diesel through them, it definitely smells different to running them on white diesel. If I had to say, red diesel tends to get you in the back of the throat.

I know here if you document how much red diesel you have put in your tank and inform the tax man, they will send you a demand for the required tax and your good to go. I know this for a fact but that's here in the UK.

I know certain vehicle are exempt from paying road fuel taxes as they spend most of their time on building sites and only go on the road from time to time. mobile cranes and concrete pumps are two that are exempt here.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts