Diesel Place banner

541 - 560 of 578 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Just Tool'n;1644202; said:
You should make better use of your time at work, read all of this thread from work, it will make the day go by quicker:D
I could.... but the boss may remove my ability to make a truck payment:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
I've read the whole deal. I believe what is said and it make sense that the EGT's from the variable vane turbo is the root cause. My question is pretty much answered. Athough i would like to hear about the lb7 turbo swap into the lly. that would be the proof in the pudding. did that ever happen? If so, is it in a different thread? Has the billet fixed impeller idea develop any?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
733 Posts
Rob, the short of it is, buy a V2 (or the TD_EOC if you can swallow that medicine) and be done. It (they) are the simplest means to an end of the problem. Period.

Amen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Oilbrnr;1644842; said:
Rob, the short of it is, buy a V2 (or the TD_EOC if you can swallow that medicine) and be done. It (they) are the simplest means to an end of the problem. Period.

Amen.
Yes, that is a quick solution. I agree. That will fix the problem. it is apparent with a stockk lly motor, you will need more capacity to cool.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
stacks04;1644957; said:
evil16, a while back a guy said that he removed his lly vvt, and installed an aftermarket one, not lb7, but same style and no more o/h problem.
I see that. was looking for further details. This is the Type of fix I would prefer. The direct approach. A V2 is a simple non warranty voiding type of fix. And is the easiest. I would rather see the source of the problem.... and the corresponding fix there. This VVT turbo, in essence, is really just an inefficient piece of crap. If the swap fixes, that is what that adds up to...period. I would theorize that another approach to this would be some type of impeller mod. other than the labor(wouldn't matter if you a DYI) .... I could almost see that being cheaper, simpler in the end too.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
569 Posts
stacks04;1644957; said:
evil16, a while back a guy said that he removed his lly vvt, and installed an aftermarket one, not lb7, but same style and no more o/h problem.
So, did he decide why the VVT generated more heat? Was it because it was water-cooled? Was it because of the variable-vane design itself? I thought the new Fords were using a VVT turbo (could be wrong here, though), and they're not overheating. So, what makes our turbo so special?

Thanks,

Joseph
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
colnago;1645170; said:
So, did he decide why the VVT generated more heat? Was it because it was water-cooled? Was it because of the variable-vane design itself? I thought the new Fords were using a VVT turbo (could be wrong here, though), and they're not overheating. So, what makes our turbo so special?

Thanks,

Joseph
I was refered to this link. It is long but it explains what you are asking. http://dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86565&highlight=root+cause+overheat
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
569 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,362 Posts
YEA or NAY ont the 06 filter for the 05 LLY?

I have read thru this thread and have found that there is NO agreement on if this mod is worth doing. Some swear by it and others at it.

Some have complained that the filter cost is 3X as much for the Donaldson type filter as for the original filter.

On that argument, I'll submit that the Donaldson filter probably has at least 3X more filter area. Additionally, it is less likely to collaspe and allow dirty air into your engine.

For these reasons alone, I would vote for the Donaldson type filter, O/H situation or not.

The fact that there is more filter area, means longer intervals between changes.

On the O/H issue, while it (apparently) isn't the cure all, it seems to have helped some people.

The fact that the Mass Airflow sensor needs recalibration following this mod is evidence that there is more air available to the engine.

Advantages:
1. Cold air inlet

2. Larger air filter

3. More air available to engine

Disadvantages:
1. More expensive air filters
(If this is an issue for you, you need to re-evaluate your ability to afford this class of vehicle.)

2. It is not a cureall for O/H problems

3. ? Are there any other reasons for NOT having this mod installed?

I think that switching to cold air, a larger filter and more air available to the engine, are all votes in favor of this modification.

I am planning to have this mod done Wendesday, 3/14/07.

If anyone has a valid reason why I shouldn't have this done, I would really appreciate hearing it.

Otherwise, I will report back with results, positive:D or negative:mad:.

Thanks,

Britt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,286 Posts
I vote no... The stock filter is excellent at doing it's job and worked better than any other tested.

And the new air box DOES NOT PREVENT OVERHEATING.

IF it were not for the testing on the factory filter I could go along with your argument for a "better" filter..

This new air box was nothing more that a ploy by GM to fake people out and make it look like they did something to cure the overheating problem... The ONLY thing it did positive was to improve temp of air entering the engine. They could have done that with a piece of rubber sheeting and been through... But NO, they were crafty enough to make it look like they were doing something AND figured a way to increase the cost of maintenance items you can buy from their dealers... I just wish I was that sneaky, I would be rich beyond my wildest dreams :)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
84 Posts
The stock filter is not collapsible, and there is no more air available to the engine. The mass air meter is recalibrated because of the larger cross section of the intake tube. It is only larger at the start, after that it attaches to the same old intake tube and the same old turbo. That means overall airflow will be the same. Without testing it could be that the new intake air filter is more restrictive than stock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,095 Posts
Don't forget the biggest advantage of the filter Mod. is another GM attempt at a fix that fails , remember the more they try and the more you let them try the stronger the case for a relacement truck. This is not a opinion it is a fact.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,286 Posts
carhauler;1647064; said:
Don't forget the biggest advantage of the filter Mod. is another GM attempt at a fix that fails , remember the more they try and the more you let them try the stronger the case for a relacement truck. This is not a opinion it is a fact.
That is a good point... IF you want a replacement truck or to even use the TexChristopher method to get a cash settlement, by all means let them put it on your truck :)

That is the ONLY reason I would have it done....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,683 Posts
swatkins;1647125; said:
That is a good point... IF you want a replacement truck or to even use the TexChristopher method to get a cash settlement, by all means let them put it on your truck :)

That is the ONLY reason I would have it done....
Maybe TXChris should approach GM about his fix. Problem solved.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,286 Posts
WilliamBos;1647134; said:
Maybe TXChris should approach GM about his fix. Problem solved.


IF they were smart they would have done that last year... Now that they have had to pay him 30,000.00 ( and he kept the truck!) I don't think they will take too kindly to any offers of help :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
489 Posts
I just had the new 06 box Friday and I had to have a new MAF the 05 made the engine light stayed on. The only thing so far I found it takes a lot more miles for truck to reach the 210*mark.Regards towing not had a real chance to hit the Grapevine yet.Just pulled to day to the Ventura beach everthing was normal.only 25 miles not the best test.
Den.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,286 Posts
Denboy;1647895; said:
I just had the new 06 box Friday and I had to have a new MAF the 05 made the engine light stayed on. The only thing so far I found it takes a lot more miles for truck to reach the 210*mark.Regards towing not had a real chance to hit the Grapevine yet.Just pulled to day to the Ventura beach everthing was normal.only 25 miles not the best test.
Den.
Den what were you using to monitor the temps?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
489 Posts
Swatkins.
Just the truck's guages.
Iam thinking we just have to go through the motions with this problems.
I would like to know why TX's rad works and a larger rad dosn't.
Den.
 
541 - 560 of 578 Posts
Top