Diesel Place banner

521 - 540 of 578 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Wolford;1634035; said:
I have had the same results. However I switched turbo chargers to a non water cooled unit and totally bypassed the EGR system, since the switch I have not overheated.
what are your coolant temps now? is that the last thing you did? or sis all of these thing cumulatively make the difference?

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
i had the parts guy look up the radiators for the 02,05,07 trucks and the 02,05 have the same rad. the 07 is differant. this means that the lb7 and lly are the same. so its not the radiator thats not performing. anyone ever look into the differance between the lly and lbz. side by side. bigger? thicker?

·
Registered
846 Posts
stacks04;1635697; said:
i had the parts guy look up the radiators for the 02,05,07 trucks and the 02,05 have the same rad. the 07 is differant. this means that the lb7 and lly are the same. so its not the radiator thats not performing. anyone ever look into the differance between the lly and lbz. side by side. bigger? thicker?
How do you figure? GM realized their mistake and started using bigger radiators with the release of the LBZ trucks. Voila, no more OH.

It is the lack of radiator capacity on the LLY's that is the problem, and thats why the V2 works.

·
Registered
846 Posts
correct. The LB7 doesn't make as much heat as the LLY or LBZ, so the radiator which worked fine for the LB7 was inadequate when used with the LLY.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
possibly, what makes more heat? is it the turbo, is it the egr, and will the lbz rad fit? or could it fit. its a good possibility that those added cooled parts just put it over the edge. my question is will the lbz fit has anybody ever compared the diffeances. i also know that the shroud is diff. redesigned to reduce the amount of engine compartment air being blown back through the fan.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
stacks04;1636027; said:
possibly, what makes more heat? is it the turbo, is it the egr, and will the lbz rad fit? or could it fit. its a good possibility that those added cooled parts just put it over the edge. my question is will the lbz fit has anybody ever compared the diffeances. i also know that the shroud is diff. redesigned to reduce the amount of engine compartment air being blown back through the fan.
Unless you are able to get GM to install the complete LBZ cooling system under warranty, I would think that it is easier and cheaper just to unstall the V2 Radiator or the EOC oil cooler if you have to pay for it yourself.

BTW - The LBZ system takes more than just a larger radiator.

·
Registered
846 Posts
stacks04;1636027; said:
The LB7/LLY radiator is the same, part 89018318, core size 34 x 19 3/8 x 2 3/16.

The LBZ radiator is 15102152, core size 34 15/16 x 23 5/16 x 2 3/16

As you can see the LBZ rad is a little bigger with the biggest difference being in the height.

The radiator support is different in the LBZ trucks from the LB7/LLY.
The fan clutch is different, the fan blade is different. The fan pulley is different for all 3 motors.

This list is by no means exhaustive, but will give you some idea. I suppose you could retrofit an LLY with the rad from an LBZ, but since you'd basically have to change the whole front end of the truck it simply isnt worth it from a labor or cost standpoint.

Just get a V2 to augment your cooling and be done with it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
stacks04;1636027; said:
now you are asking the questions i just asked. This is what i'm getting at.:thumb:

·
Registered
46 Posts
jollyrogr;1636325; said:
The LB7/LLY radiator is the same, part 89018318, core size 34 x 19 3/8 x 2 3/16.

The LBZ radiator is 15102152, core size 34 15/16 x 23 5/16 x 2 3/16

As you can see the LBZ rad is a little bigger with the biggest difference being in the height.

The radiator support is different in the LBZ trucks from the LB7/LLY.
The fan clutch is different, the fan blade is different. The fan pulley is different for all 3 motors.

This list is by no means exhaustive, but will give you some idea. I suppose you could retrofit an LLY with the rad from an LBZ, but since you'd basically have to change the whole front end of the truck it simply isnt worth it from a labor or cost standpoint.

Just get a V2 to augment your cooling and be done with it.
WE NEED a sticky thread for this information with NO other discussion on it. A thread that will hold all of this specific information... nothing else. just the facts. then when somebody wants it just point them to THAT thread.

·
Registered
46 Posts
jollyrogr;1635966; said:
correct. The LB7 doesn't make as much heat as the LLY or LBZ, so the radiator which worked fine for the LB7 was inadequate when used with the LLY.
Exactly. Now we want to know all the specific reasons why it does make more heat. obviously the water cooled turbo adds to the load.... egr that wasn't on the lb7 probably does too.

What happens if you don't run water to the water cooled turbo? Is that really needed if you block off the the egr? The lb7 didn't need water cooled obviously.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
okay, and no, no lbz for me. i haven't even o/h yet. just trying to make sense of this problem. well than thats the answer gm f'ed up in 04.5 -05 and fixed it with the 06lly-lbz.

·
Registered
733 Posts

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
That's no thread, that's the O/H encyclopedia set

·
Registered
230 Posts
evil16v;1639811; said:
I agree. i'm only half way through. I'll read more when i get home from work this morning.
You should make better use of your time at work, read all of this thread from work, it will make the day go by quicker:D

521 - 540 of 578 Posts