Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 578 Posts

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like the General has been reading here, just wish they would read a little deeper.

Document ID# 1850306, is the instructions to retrofit the 06 air box to the LLY as an overheating cure. According to the bulletin it looks like a reflash is needed also.

John Kennedy found this one somewhere and hopefully he'll have time to explain it better later today. I just had to SHARE!):h Sad part is they put the x-box on one of mine last week!:(

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Seems like the General has been reading here, just wish they would read a little deeper.

Document ID# 1850306, is the instructions to retrofit the 06 air box to the LLY as an overheating cure. According to the bulletin it looks like a reflash is needed also.

John Kennedy found this one somewhere and hopefully he'll have time to explain it better later today. I just had to SHARE!):h Sad part is they put the x-box on one of mine last week!:(
Hmmmmm, 06 airbox sounds good, wonder what the reflash will do??

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
Subject: Engine Overheats or Runs Hot in High Ambient Temperature When Towing or Hauling on Long Inclines (Install 2006 Air Cleaner Assembly) #06-06-04-036 - (07/26/2006)

Models: 2004-2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500/3500 Series

2004-2005 GMC Sierra 2500/3500 Series

Built From January 1, 2004 Through 2005 End of Production

with 6.6L Engine (VIN 2 -- RPO LLY)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some customers may comment that while towing a trailer, or if the vehicle is loaded on a long upgrade climb and high ambient temperatures, the Driver Information Center states Engine Coolant Hot, the engine overheats and there is a loss of power and air conditioning.

Cause
This condition may be caused by hot air in the engine compartment entering the engine.

Correction
Install a 2006 air cleaner system using the following procedure.

Disconnect the mass air flow sensor electrical connector and remove the sensor from the air outlet duct.
Loosen the clamps and remove the air cleaner outlet duct.
Remove the air cleaner assembly, grasp the air filter assembly and pull up on the assembly in order to disengage the retaining pins from the grommets.
Remove the five 10 mm bolts and the tray.
Remove the insulation on the inner right fender.

With the wheel turned to the right, measure from the corner of the wheel liner over 231 mm (9 in) and up 45 mm (1.8 in) as seen in the illustration above.

Measure up 75 mm (3 in) from the bottom of the liner and measure the lip of the liner 20 mm (0.8 in) as seen in the illustration above.
With a 5/16 or 8 mm drill bit, drill two holes though the wheelhouse liner.
Remove the wheel liner fasteners and pull the liner back.

Install the deflector panel to the fender with the push in fastener as seen in the illustration above.
Install the inner fender air duct.
Install the wheel liner and fastener.
Install the two bolts that retain the deflector panel to the wheel liner.
Install the plastic closeout panel on the radiator support.
Install the air cleaner bracket and bolts.
Tighten
Tighten the bolts to 9 N·m (80 lb in).

Install the air cleaner assembly. Push down on the assembly in order to secure it to the bracket.

Notice: Do not attempt to cut off the outlet duct on the vehicle or debris could enter the turbo and cause damage.

Measure back from the Caution label on the air cleaner outlet duct 52 mm (2 in) on the existing duct, and cut the duct.

Measure from the side that was cut, 13 mm (½ in), and drill a 5/32 or 5 mm hole on each side of the duct and install rivets as seen in the illustration above.
Connect the two ducts together.
Install the air cleaner outlet duct to the air cleaner assembly and the turbo inlet. It may be necessary to reposition the clamp on the air cooler outlet duct.
Tighten
Tighten the three clamps to 4 N·m (35 lb in).

Tighten
Tighten the air cooler outlet duct clamp to 6 N·m (53 lb in).

Install the mass air flow sensor and connect the connector.

Install the intake horizontal baffle as seen in the illustration above.

Remove the right head lamp assembly. Refer to SI if necessary. With the head lamp out, clean the surface with 3M® General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner, or equivalent. Install the foam block on the radiator support as seen in the illustration above.
Reprogram the vehicle PCM with new software. Refer to TIS for the calibration cylindrical air cleaner housing.
Reposition the engine oil indicator (dipstick) tube toward the fender so it will clear the air cleaner outlet duct.
If the vehicle is a 2004 or 2005 GMC Sierra, the following items will have to be installed to ensure cooler air is entering the system.

Remove the left and right head lamp assembly. Refer to SI if necessary.
Install the seal around the lamp with the wide part of the seal across the top of the lamp.
Remove the grille. Refer to SI if necessary.

Install the seals on the left and right side of the grille as seen in the illustration above.

Clean the surface of the inner right fender and install the vertical seal as seen in the illustration above.
Clean the lip on the left fender and install the horizontal hood seal to the fender.
Install the grille.
Install the head lamps. Refer to SI if necessary.
Parts Information
Part Number
Description
Qty

Cleaner Assembly Air

Duct Lower Int Air

Duct Assembly A/C Cleaner Outlet

Baffle Assembly Intake Air (Lower Baffle)

Bolt Intake Air Baffle (Lower Baffle)

Retainer

Baffle Assembly Intake Air Horizontal

Baffle Intake Air Vertical

Baffle Intake Air

Duct Lower Intake Air Fender Duct (Chevrolet Only)

Rivet

Duct Lower Intake Air Fender Duct (GMC Only)

Seal Strip F/FDR (GMC Only)

Seal Strip Fender (GMC Only)

Seal Head Lamp Left (GMC Only)

Seal Head Lamp Right (GMC Only)

Molding-RAD GRL Seal Lower Head Lamp/Grille Left (GMC Only)

Molding-RAD GRL Seal Lower Head Lamp/Grille Right (GMC Only)

Strip-F/Fdr Bond Left (GMC Only)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hmmmmm, 06 airbox sounds good, wonder what the reflash will do??
I'd want to know EXACTLY what the reflash does prior to any work. If there is another attempt the falsify the ECT gauge and OH alarm trip points again, I'd want to know about it. The reflash likely includes some adjustment to the MAF sensor.

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
Anyone with EFI Live can see what changes. Probably just moves the overhead message even higher. :eek: I imagine it alters the MAF tables as well.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I have not gone throught the complete code set yet but there are many changes being made for this new air cleaner assemble.

·
Registered
399 Posts
How much longer til I get it?

·
Registered
327 Posts
There have been a couple that have tried the 06 air box on 04-05 already. The tubing on the 06 is much larger than the tubing on the 04-05. This larger diameter tubing screws up the MAF. The people that have tried the retrofit have all noticed a CEL after the install. I'm sure the reflash is to recalibrate the MAF.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Thanks MAX for the write up on the procedure. Guess we'll have to wait and see the results when one gets it done. It's a shame GM waited this long and spent money on the X-Box when they should 've tried the '06 airbox first. Hope this works out for the OH'ers. Wonder if the STEALERS will jack you around and put you through hoops before they do the swap if you go in and complain about your truck OH'ng.

Reactions: GreenmanAZ

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
There have been a couple that have tried the 06 air box on 04-05 already. The tubing on the 06 is much larger than the tubing on the 04-05. This larger diameter tubing screws up the MAF. The people that have tried the retrofit have all noticed a CEL after the install. I'm sure the reflash is to recalibrate the MAF.
What were the results of those who have swapped out to the 06 airbox??

·
Registered
791 Posts
Tony, any chance you could create a PDF of that document with the pics included?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have not seen a 06 air box yet. I was wondering if there is any gain in using that as compared with say the TxC CAI. The TxC CAI is already blocking hot air from the engine compartment and allowing more access to outside air.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I can't believe that the '06 box is that superior to what others like myself have tried, and still OH'd. Yeah it has got to help, but it is not the total solution.

I doubt that the flash would alter anything significantly enough to reduce heat, as the EPA restrictions must still be met.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I agree that this isn't going to stop a truck from overheating. But is there any gains in having GM install this on a truck versus just running a CAI baffle? Obviously it is a GM solution so it would be supported by them. It shouldn't cost anything. But if there isn't any other advantage in running this versus my existing TxC CAI then I don't want to go to my dealer and try to convince them to install this on my truck. But if there is an advantage I am not seeing... Anything that can be done to lower temps will help some...

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
I hate to be a wet blanket, but guys they put a copyright on these documents for a reason. I asked Rick to pass the word to that people could produce the Document ID number at their dealer. GM may or may not care about who distributes this info but I'd rather have their blessing first. I'm NOT trying to withhold details...

The key bit of programming will most certainly be rescaling of the MAF sensor

1 - 20 of 578 Posts