Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parents have an '02 LB7. Last month it picked up the infamous cold weather belt squeak. I believe its the tensioner (Think I've seen it discussed before). Just yesterday my best friend fired up his '02 LB7, and heard the same thing. Is this a common problem on the LB7's? What do you suggest I tell them to investigate? You guys have yet to let me down... Man Do I Luv This Site....:ro) :ro) :ro)

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
Thanks for reminding me...I have to get over to Eric's and buy a new tensioner.

Its ususally the tensioner.

·
Registered
193 Posts
there is also a gm bulletin that applies to the bracket for the p/s and a/c
for a belt noise there is an updated brackett available it fixes an alignment problem with brackett

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
there is also a gm bulletin that applies to the bracket for the p/s and a/c
for a belt noise there is an updated brackett available it fixes an alignment problem with brackett
There's a good piece of info.

Can you post that bulletin over in TSB's? What years does it cover, and do you have an idea on part cost?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you know what Eric gets for a tensioner? I'm sure I'll be asked.

~Thats really good info on the bracketry. I'll have to do a little research on that.

~Are Goodyear belts worth the extra Cash?

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Good Thread!!!:ro) Mine is squeaking like crazy when cold. After it's warmed up it's nice and quiet. I would think if it was the tensioner it wouldn't stop. I might be wrong though! Because I usually am!):h

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
Jeff, quit selling yourself short...you know a hell of a lot more than you think.

Here's the info from Eric's site:

http://www.gmdieseltech.com/store2/...&action=view&product_id=16209&category_id=257 $70.

For some reason the 01 tensioner is different and is $87

When did they last change out the belt? Some guys have reported that when they changed out the Belt, the squeak started. So I guess some makers belts may squeal ...

·
Registered
193 Posts
tsb on belt squeel cold

here you go guys i hope this helps it for the lly there is also a bulletin on a problem with the ac belt making noise cold on accel. but that one replaces the pump.
Accessory Drive Belt Chirp Noise at Cold Idle - keywords 6.6 align diesel LLY power pump steering squeal #PIP3138B - (May 9, 2005)

Accessory Drive Belt Chirp Noise at Cold Idle
2004-2005 Chevrolet Silverado
2004-2005 GMC Sierra
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in the PI.
<A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1656228&psdid=437&evc=sm#ss1-1656228">Condition/Concern:

Customer concern may be a accessory drive belt chirp, squeal, or squeak noise at idle. The noise may be reduced or gone after the engine warms up. Important: It should be noted that a chirp noise on engine shutdown is normal for a diesel engine. No repairs should be attempted for this condition.
2004/2005 C/K trucks, with a 6.6L LLY engine produced before June, 2004 may have an A/C compressor/power steering pump mounting bracket and power steering rear mounting bracket that are machined slightly out of specification. Vehicles built after June 2004 will already have the new A/C compressor/power steering pump mounting bracket installed, but still may exhibit belt noise caused by the power steering pump rear mounting bracket.
<A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1656228&psdid=437&evc=sm#ss2-1656228">Recommendation/Instructions:

1. <LI type=1>Follow the published SI diagnostics for drive belt chirping. <LI type=1>Verify the power steering pulley is properly pressed on power steering pump shaft. (Use SI information for power steering pulley replacement. If noise is not fully eliminated by the following procedure the Power Steering Pulley may be adjusted a maximum of 1 mm (.039") to the front from the flush position on the shaft to assist in eliminating any remaining belt noise) <LI type=1>If no other concerns are found and the vehicle was built prior to June 2004 go to step 4. If the vehicle was built after June 2004 go to step 5. <LI type=1>Vehicle Built Prior to June 2004:
    1. <LI type=A>Replace the A/C compressor/power steering pump mounting bracket with GM P/N 97362175. <LI type=A>With the new A/C compressor/power steering pump mount bracket installed torque the front power steering pump mounting bolts to 50Nm (37 lb ft). Do not install the rear power steering mounting bolts that bolt to the aluminum bracket. <LI type=A>Use a mirror and flashlight to observe the alignment between the rear power steering bracket bolt holes and bolt holes in the aluminum bracket. If the holes are aligned properly install the bolts and torque to 50Nm (37 lb ft). <LI type=A>If the holes do not align properly remove the rear power steering bracket and drill holes larger using 14mm (1/2") drill bit.
    2. Reinstall rear bracket and torque bolts to 50Nm (37 lb ft). Note: Power steering pump front mounting bolts must always be tightened first to ensure correct pulley alignment.
    <LI type=1>Built After June 2004:
    1. <LI type=A>Remove the rear power steering bracket bolts that bolt to the A/C compressor/power steering pump bracket. <LI type=A>Loosen the front power steering pump bracket bolts that bolt to the A/C compressor/power steering pump bracket. <LI type=A>Torque the front power steering pump mounting bolts to 50Nm (37 lb ft). Do not install the rear power steering mounting bolts that bolt to the aluminum bracket. <LI type=A>Use a mirror and flashlight to observe the alignment between the rear power steering bracket bolt holes and bolt holes in the aluminum bracket. If the holes are aligned properly install the bolts and torque to 50Nm (37 lb ft).
    2. If the holes do not align properly remove the rear power steering bracket and drill holes larger using 14mm (1/2") drill bit.
    3. Reinstall rear bracket and torque bolts to 50Nm (37 lb ft). Note: Power steering pump front mounting bolts must always be tightened first to ensure correct pulley alignment.
Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
Document ID# 1656228
2004 GMC Truck GMC K Sierra - 4WD

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
Thanks for the info...

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got done putting a new belt on my buddies "D". Squeak is significantly quieter, but still present. I'm sure we'll be swoping out the tensioner in the coming weeks.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Guys, there is another thread on here reguarding the CHEAP belts that GM uses. I've already had the tensioner and belt changed out on mine once. I changed to the GOODYEAR GATORBACK and the noise has completely went away. The Gatorback has some TEETH to it, and does not slip or squeek one bit.

My old belt started making the screaming noises once the winter weather hit. It would usually quiet down after about 30 minutes, or once the belt warmed up. Another sign of the CHEAP belt.

I paid $42 for mine at AutoZone. Other have paid $32 for it..

I'd try that before spending $80 on another tensioner.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I replaced my tensioner didnt help the squeek. Took it in they replaced the belt and the squeeking stoped allmost completely. they told me the tiny and i mean tiny little noise i hear is one of the other pulleys i think it was the water pump. just thought i would tell you

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Got the same issue right now - I'm going to give the belt a shot and see where that gets me.

Spartus - Do you happen to have the part number for that belt handy? I've seen other threads on it but iirc there was some confusion on the right one.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
i got the same thing on mine, but recently it has gone away when it is cold out... has a mind of its own.
robert

·
Registered
580 Posts
Gates makes a good belt. I put one on a buddys Dmax and stopped his squeak for good. I picked it up at a local industrial supply house that carries belts, hoses, bearings, etc. I took the old belt in and they matched it to a Gates belt that also had some teeth to it or notches. Worked great and it was only $17

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My buddy got cheap on me and bought some off brand crap, thats probably why his still squeaks a little. Since both my buddies truck, and my folks were making the same exact noise, I'll have them install the Gatorback, and we'll see if it does a better job. I'll report back next weekend.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Got the same issue right now - I'm going to give the belt a shot and see where that gets me.

Spartus - Do you happen to have the part number for that belt handy? I've seen other threads on it but iirc there was some confusion on the right one.

I went with the 4061182. I have Plow package and single 145A alternator, NO california emmisions/Smog pump.

Click here to see a listing of the belts available:
http://www.goodyearbeltsandhose.com/arp1/jsp/StartCarSearch.jsp;jsessionid=0000LPz44ePzoSkVCQd3OMxYaHw:uur6cg6k

1 - 19 of 19 Posts