Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well its been a few weeks with my new truck and so far I love it! But there are some problems too.... Just want to share and see if others have any input.

1. cd/ stereo isn't that good or is it just the speakers? This is the stock radiop that comes with the GMC SLE package. I was expecting something along the lines of the radio in my wifes 2001 Bonneville or at least as good as my 95 Jimmy.

2. Tried doing some stump pulling this weekend with 1/2" chain. It was tough getting that chain past the lower louver and around the front tow hooks. By the time I got some stumps out the paint was all scratched up. There is not enough room to get the chains by the painted parts.

Other than these issues the truck is more than I expected, great!

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
The trucks are great...the stereos suck.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Stump pulling!!!
A $45,000 stump puller at that.

I know there is HD in the title on the door but this is bit hard on the truck no?

I remeber driving a tow truck when I was in college and my boss told me to always use the wench to pull, never the transmission......it sounded right to me....kind of kept that rule with all my trucks. But then again thats just me. $45,000 stump puller

Good luck with your new truck....by the sound of it you'll need it.

·
Registered
747 Posts
gottaway, the jury is still out for me regarding the stereo. I think the head unit may be okay after amps and speakers are installed. One of these days, I will get around to installing them.

I have a 40k+(if you look at what the sticker says) stump puller as well.
I use a heavy tow strap on the tow hook if the stump requires a large chain to keep from risking the paint. Then again, it's hard to see the paint real well when the bugs and road grime cover make it look like a speckled light grayish brown. Or is that brownish gray?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
If you're going to pull stumps without a winch, why not just use the hitch?

Or am I missing something here?

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
You'll get more traction pulling from the front backing up .... There is more weight over the front axle in addition the suspension will bite down ....

What you need to get is a heavy duty 4' nylon sling to put on in between the tow hooks ...

I have used my truck many times to pull Heavy fork lifts stuck in loose gravel ...(Stupid employees)

Never a problem ,it is a truck ...

Mac

·
Registered
570 Posts
I second what hoot said!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Mackin that's funny, I just had to do the same yesterday, my production manager had the fork lift burried up to the floor boards. The old 4" by 30' strap just eased the fork lift back out of the mud.Good to hear that I'm not the only one with employees that would do this.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I am completely satisfied with my truck, but I do have one little problem... the paint is silky thin, I have numerous rock chips in it already and it's driving me nuts... I had a 90' Z71 back in high school that was black and it had that problem too, I just used a black wax... so I tried white wax with my new one and it covers it up pretty good, but you have to apply very liberally where the chips are... but it is a truck and trucks do have paint flaws, well any workin truck anyway, so it's not really a big deal...

Dan

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Now I know why I never buy used trucks.

·
Registered
187 Posts
MBRP said:
Mackin that's funny, I just had to do the same yesterday, my production manager had the fork lift burried up to the floor boards. The old 4" by 30' strap just eased the fork lift back out of the mud.Good to hear that I'm not the only one with employees that would do this.

Did you make them buy a case of beer. That is what happens in my line of work if you get a forklift stuck or leave the tines up. Great rule!

·
Registered
747 Posts
Mackin said:
You'll get more traction pulling from the front backing up .... There is more weight over the front axle in addition the suspension will bite down ....

What you need to get is a heavy duty 4' nylon sling to put on in between the tow hooks ...

Never a problem ,it is a truck ...

Mac

Ditto, Mac!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I like my radio. I have the single CD with XM, and it sounds pretty good to me.

I've used my 40K stump puller many times. However, I always pull from the back. Never had a problem with traction. I saw someplace it was better for the tranny to pull in a forward gear.

flhrc,

Got a picture of your bike?? I have a Sporty and my dad has a Heritage Springer.Edited by: bowtiebob

·
Registered
747 Posts
bowtiebob said:
flhrc,

Got a picture of your bike?? I have a Sporty and my dad has a Heritage Springer.

It's kinda filthy, but this is the only pic I have of it right now. Hoping to try the zaino on it one day this week.

·
Registered
170 Posts
flhrciblueice,

Sharp bike. How many miles you have on it?

Bob

·
Registered
159 Posts
Why would any body use a $43,000 dollar truck to pull stumps? Most trucks either work or are used for pleasure. There is a limit to how much a work truck can do. I know some one who believed everything he saw on TV commercials. He watched the new Chevy pickups going across a stream and going to a hunting cabin. He believed he could do the same. He would drive across a river up to the bottom of the doors just to see if he could make it. Then came cold weather. One morning about 10 below zero he went out got in his truck and it wouldn't move. We towed it in on a flat bed (skided the tires load it) put it inside and thawed out the rear axle, front axle and transfer case all of which were full of water. The housing of the transfer case was split from the ice. A costly price to pay for using a truck to do something it wasn't designed to do. The lesson? go to Ebay and buy a used dozer to do things like pull stumps.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
dmacy said:
Why would any body use a $43,000 dollar truck to pull stumps?
Because a track hoe costs $100,000

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
GMC2500HD said:
hoot said:
The trucks are great...the stereos suck.

Guess that does not matter to you anymore. Sellout.
The new one has an in-dash 6-CD Changer with Infinity speakers. Sounds OK. Nothing special. At least I can turn it up without distortion.

·
Registered
747 Posts
bowtiebob, thanks, it has almost 20k on it now.

dmacy, what hoot said.
BTW, I don't just hook to stumps and pull them out. I dig around them about 2 feet out and 2 feet down, cut the highest roots and then choke the stump below the root stumps. IMO, these trucks are made to do some work. It has also towed in excess of 18k # a few times.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts