Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
No, the spy is a data retriever for the airbag module (SDM). This is the module that retains the speed, braking, yaw, etc. data. Most dealerships don't have these.

The data recorder, linked above, is used for intermittant problems that the techs can't duplicate. The unit is connected and given to the customer, when the problem occurs the customer presses the button. Typical data that is available with the Tech 2 is recorded so the tech can review it.Edited by: GMCSID

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GMCSID;

Ok, thanks. But just because a dealer does not have a data retriever, there is still an airgag module (SDM) in most newer vehicles which collects private data and stores it. Correct?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Deadeye said:
GMCSID;

Ok, thanks. But just because a dealer does not have a data retriever, there is still an airgag module (SDM) in most newer vehicles which collects private data and stores it. Correct?

Yup, I think every airbag equipped vehicle has the ability to store this info.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I really hate having a dealer or some gov beaurorat potentially sticking their nose into my privacy!!! Any way to disable this thing?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Deadeye,

What stored information is scaring you so much?

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sfischer said:
Deadeye,

What stored information is scaring you so much?

The computer can record how you drive and when. The dealer, if smarte enough and properly equipped, could check it out and say,

"Our examination shows that on such and such a date you accelled from 0 to 200 in 3 nano seconds. This could only be done with a "chip". Therefore your warranty is voided." Or if you were having a fight with a judge about a ticket or a wreck he could order your vehicle examined and data extracted. Maybe it would not affect that isue but they might then use it to hassle you for some other reason (speeding)?

The gov already sticks it's nose way to far into the rights and freedom of citizens. Just the idea of income tax and the invasion of privacy stemming from that would cause the founding fathers to roll over in their graves!

End of soap box.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Buy one of those stun guns from a gun store or sporting store. If you feel the need pull the ecm harness and plug in the stun gun and pull the trigger. I dont think they will be readin crapola after that.....

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
problemchild;

you seem to have a solution for every problem
;

BTW, why didn't you change your user name
, give that you survived skydiving!!!

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
It only remembers a short period just before air bag deployment.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The recorded time period on specific models is currently 5 seconds of pre-deployment data. Edited by: sfischer

1 - 14 of 14 Posts