Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not to start a new mileage thread, but I figured out the formula for 21mpg (21.8 on the DIC)...

Drive 55.

I was on a stretch of road for about 300 miles round trip along the north shore of Lake Superior over the weekend. I took it easy and never went above 60. The road winds a lot and is a little hilly (by Minnesota standards), but I guess it evens out when going both ways. The good news is that after only 2000 miles on the truck I can already see the improvements in mileage. Heck, at this rate, I will be at 50mpg by the end of summer

On a side note, my DIC has consistantly been reading about .5 to 1 mpg better than actual.Edited by: sammy

·
Registered
363 Posts
sammy said:
I figured out the formula for 21mpg (21.8 on the DIC)...

Drive 55.

Wouldn't that take all the fun out of driving?

I'm just bein' a smart ass.

I'll be happy with a consistent 15 mpg.

Gar

·
Registered
16,973 Posts
Hell I drive 70+ all the time and the worst I have seen has been 16.5 and the best was on cruise about 200+ miles non stop and I was getting close to 18 mpg. At least that is what the DIC said. Managed to get over 450 out of that tank. So not bad.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
As the song says "I can't drive fifty five"!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Yep, 55 will get ya 20+. Just can't drive that slow anymore, only seems like few years ago and the whole nation was 55 stay alive, now anything under 80 gets you run over. On a side note, just did a 700 mile round trip at an average of 67mph and got 16.5mpg with a 600lb 4 wheeler in the bed--2000 miles on the truck so far!

·
Registered
299 Posts
I agree with the DIC info. Mine is off about the same. I can get those number driving unloaded at 65mph. In the flat rice lands of katy, Texas

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Sammy
I see you have 265's, how did you compensate for the added diameter of the tire?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Race,

I had the dealer reprogram the computer with the Tech II so everything (speed & distance) is right on when checked against my GPS.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The road that I referenced is a single lane with 55mph, so staying within the limit was not too much of a stretch

I anticipate that I80 across Nebraska at 80mph into a 30mph west wind will be a different story (that is why it is called "I80", right?).

·
Registered
42 Posts
I drove 200 miles the other day and about half was driving 65 and the other half was 70 on the Interstate. And both were a little hilly. I had the 120 hp Attitude in and the computer said 23mpg and I check it and was really 21.

·
Registered
310 Posts
sammy said:
Race,

I had the dealer reprogram the computer with the Tech II so everything (speed & distance) is right on when checked against my GPS.

Really? This is interesting. Last I heard, the Tech II will only reprogram the ABS for differences in tire size. It won't do anything for speedo/odo correction.

Dmaxallitech, is this something new in the '04s?

·
Registered
511 Posts
My DIC consistantly reads .5 to 1.0 MPG too low, but it hasn't been reprogrammed for my 265 tires. I use my GPS to tell me how many miles I've actually driven. If I'm on a two lane road with a 55 MPH limit, I always get 20+ MPG according to the DIC, but as soon as I hit an interstate & 70+ MPH, my MPG drops to around 17-18 MPG, (depending on wind direction & speed) according to the DIC.
BTW, my truck is just over 2 months old with 14,006 miles & 336 hours. Love the truck.

·
Registered
100 Posts
You think the 265's change the MPG that much? I added them with about 900 miles on my truck and was getting about 16.5 now with them I am at the 15.5 range. I was thinking that I just was doing more true stop and go and that was the diff. I did not think the tire size would impact that much. I see the 1 or 2 mph at 60 diff but the .5 to 1 mpg diff surprises me.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I changed over to 265s with about the same mileage as you, & it was too early to tell how it affected my fuel mileage. I would THINK that it helps slightly. I was just trying to point out that if you change to a larger tire size, the DIC will show lower MPG, but your actual MPG won't neccessarily be lower.
My odometer is off 4% now with the 265s. Take 18 MPG, for example. 4% of that is 0.72, which would lower your indicated MPG on the DIC from 18 to 17.28, since it thinks you're traveling fewer miles on the same amount of fuel.
Hope I'm making some sense here.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The dealer should have no problem reprogramming for 265's. I think the reprogramming problem comes into play when going to larger tires like a 285+. Besides, the new 3500's are available with 265's from the factory.

·
Registered
616 Posts
The tech II, based on my memory, does not recalibrate the speedo, but only the ABS. I had mine adjusted to 265's and the speedo is still off. The new SRW 3500's have the tire size programmed into the computer allready since that is the only tire size they come with.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After programming with the Tech II, my speedo is "dead on" when compared against my GPS.

·
Registered
94 Posts
bartman said:
The tech II, based on my memory, does not recalibrate the speedo, but only the ABS. I had mine adjusted to 265's and the speedo is still off. The new SRW 3500's have the tire size programmed into the computer allready since that is the only tire size they come with.

I don't think there is anything to reprogram as far as ABS. Those sensors don't care about actual speed, just when the fronts are going noticeably slower or faster than the rears under braking.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts