Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading on the allison website that the transmission filter in the tranny pan should only be changed when the tranny is being overhauled. Did I read that wrong, or is the only one that needs to be changed the spin on???

·
Registered
363 Posts
No, you did not read that wrong, filter in the pan only when overhauling the tranny. Regular maintenance only requires the spin on to be changed, nothing else.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
The filter in the pan is just a metal screen on the oil pickup. The only time it needs to be changed is at an overhaul and if changing to an Allison or aftermarket "deep" pan, when a deep pickup will be required. The only filter that should be changed out normally is the spin-on.

·
Registered
51 Posts
But where in the GM literature is it written that the in-pan (sump) filter is changed only at overhaul? I find it on page 56 of the Allison Owner's Manual but not in my GM Owner's Manual.

I ask because I had my transmission serviced today at 31000 miles and I paid a bunch extra because they replaced the sump filter. I asked about it and they said it was their common practice per GM policy.

Anybody know??

·
Registered
389 Posts
per there policy to charge you more money. bas***ds.

john

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Yep, you got ripped off.
The internal filter screen is only a "chunks" filter and unless there's been a serious internal damage incident that would produce "chunks" or you have changed pan depth which would mandate a different pickup it could be simply visually checked and left alone.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks guys, but is it written that way by GM?

Guess I'll post this question in the "Ask the Techs" forum and see if they can point me in the right direction

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
GMFAN said:
Thanks guys, but is it written that way by GM?

As a matter of fact, it is:

GM Service manual - 7-856 Automatic Transmission - Allison

Oil pan replacement, steps 5 to 8:

5. Remove oil pan (5) and gasket (3)

6. Inspect magnet (4). Excessive metallic particles or large metallic particles may indicate a need for overhaul or replacement of the transmission.

Important: DO NOT remove the suction filter or seal if only replacing the oil pan or oil pan gasket

7. Remove the suction filter (2) by pulling straight down where the suction tube is seated in the main housing.

8. Remove suction seal (1) from the filler or from the seal bore in the main housing. Discard the old seal. Discard the filter, if it is being replaced.

Therefore- "GM recommendation" as quoted clearly with an important warning in the service manual is DO NOT mess with the suction filter unless you have evidence and are rebuilding the transmission for large metallic residue!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks, Tom! Did you do all that research just to help me? Really good of you. I have since found that info in my 2002 Service Manual, just as you quoted.

Not sure I can sell that reasoning to the service writer. He can only work as directed by his shop policies. It will be interesting to see just what his manual tells him to do.

I'll report back when all is done. Anyone else getting this tranny service should be prepared to deal with this possibility.

Again, thanks. Frank

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
The filter costs $21 at the Allison Dealer

Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
hoot said:
The filter costs $21 at the Allison Dealer

And it costs $45 at the GM stealer and this shop probably charged him a total of $75 p&l to do an unnecessary and non-recommended replacement (IF they did it at all). So your point is? Edited by: Idle_Chatter

1 - 11 of 11 Posts