Diesel Place banner

The Fallout shelter 14'X40'X80'

Tags
projects shop
79K views 1K replies 18 participants last post by  firestopper 
#1 ·
Back in 2013 I decided to build a detached shop next to my home. For 15 years I had been working out of an attached 26'X50" but it seemed I had acquired too many machines and quickly found myself unable to park any rigs inside. Living in the SW desert of Arizona, I was at full time war with packrats and the harsh UV rays of the sun. I wanted something large enough to address it all. My old shop had a large Band saw, cold saw, lathe, mill, pipe bender, CNC 5'x10' plasma table, several tool boxes, a compliment of miller welders, 51Ton iron worker and a 4'x12' jig table just to name a few. Needless to say all automotive work was preformed outside.

A last look of the old shop.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Engineering Industry Factory

After pulling a large Palo Verde tree and relocating a 40' sea container I was ready to layout the new pad.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Sky Car

Forming and importing dirt as well as laying out all the anchor bolts for the 10 columns.
Cloud Sky Wood Road surface Asphalt

The night before the 3am pour.
Automotive lighting Light Street light Road surface Asphalt

The foundation was poured in mid July with temps averaging 105º.
A 44 meter pump truck kept the flow coming. I had hired eight finishers for the day myself included.
The fella at the drivers side outrigger at the pump is 6'3" so it gives you an idea of the size of the pump rig.
Cloud Sky Road surface Asphalt Vehicle

The power finisher doing its magic.
Cloud Sky Property Tire Road surface

Finished up around noon for a 9 hour day. I kept the water on for 7 days to counter the hot days.
Cloud Sky Tree Asphalt Road surface

Another shot from the NW corner. You can see the 1.5" notch around the perimeter. This will secure a 3" base flange with the skins over it to keep water out. The hose entering the slab is a "man door" location. The west end will have
two 10' x 12' garage doors. the NE side will have a 10'X 12' rollup door (2 post lift), and the SE end will have a 10'X12'
garage door aligned up to the one of the West doors for a drive through option.
Water Plant Watercourse Composite material Tree

About a week later the delivery from El Paso arrived with the kit I purchased through Mueller inc. They were great to deal with every step of the way. The provided all the engineering to satisfy my county. The only thing I had to source was a foundation with an engineering stamp for all the steel in the piers and footers.
Cloud Sky Vehicle Wheel Tree

Between the drivers crab style fork lift and my Hyster, we made short work of staging the "red iron".
Cloud Sky Tree Road surface Mountain

More to follow.

See less See more
#833 ·
With a sore back from the previous week I decided to take it easy and tinker a bit.
The approach to the auto bay is a little tight so I would find myself jockeying a vehicle a few times to get centered for lifting. I researched line lasers and learned the green laser carries further and the eye sees it better in lighted conditions vs red. I also found the power output would also influence the b rightness.
I found one on ebay for $40 shipped.
It has a wavelength of 532nm and power output of 50mW and it didn't disappoint.
Wood Rectangle Font Wall Eyewear

An aluminum bracket was made with a 90º break with two 1/8" holes for #8 x 1/2" Tek screws.
The thee laser adjustment mounting holes were tapped for three #8-32 button head screws.
Line Material property Rectangle Gas Circle

Backside.
Cutting mat Rectangle Composite material Design Pattern

Laser bracket to mounting bracket. The double balljoints provide ample adjustments.
Cutting mat Pattern Circle Fashion accessory Electric blue

A top view.
Automotive tire Asphalt Wood Road surface Floor

3M zip-tie bracket shine for this application.
Gas Engineering Machine Building Metal

The business end. Ignore the messy bench.o_O I'm into six projects at the moment.
Engineering Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Machine Electric blue

The line is clearly visible in daylight. The yellow/black vinyl safety tape get you close when approaching. The laser line gets you perfectly centered.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Car Vehicle

The 40's hood allows for centering. The line also carries into the dash. The distance from front fender to post came to 27-3/4" both left and right. A win for a first try!
Car Automotive tail & brake light Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting

A view from the front.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

$40 well spent and hopefully someone can use this info.
Enjoy your sabbath.

#834 ·
Yesterday we completed the front clearing. A large loader pulled seven dump truck loads of dirt followed up by final grading with a tracked skid steer.
Sky Cloud Land lot Tree Slope

Excess dirt removed.
Sky Vehicle Tire Wheel Automotive tire

The finesse of this machine dialed in the final grade.
Cloud Sky Tire Wheel Vehicle

The young man that owns that Kubota really impressed me.
He’s a former farrier who hustles during the day and still works at Costco’s evening shift operating a forklift. Hard working young man chasing the American dream.
Cloud Sky Tree Vehicle Plant

The next phase will be after the house paint is done. I have too many ideas flooding my imagination for the steel work. I think I’ll dig up some old blue prints of the front elevation view and hit the drafting table to help scale the steel work. Seems the older I’ve gotten, I’ve lost a little of my minds eye.
Enjoy the week!

#835 · (Edited)
The last couple of weeks have been long days. After raking the cleared front four times, the rocks filled the 14' dump trailer. I used a wheel barrow and ramp to load the pile. IIRC, it came to 65 wheelbarrow loads.

Unloading the rock was much easier than loading.:LOL:
Sky Ecoregion Landscape Road surface Tints and shades

The front was raked four times followed by sprinkler to form a crust. I didn't want wind blowing dust while paining the house.
Cloud Sky Road surface Plant Tree

The front is now on hold until I repaint the house and finish up three jobs in the cue.
Sky Cloud Tree Land lot Tints and shades

Repainting the house took a ton of work. Pulling all the rock away from walls and house, pulling ceiling fans, light fixtures and repairing stucco.
I found a large portion of loose stucco on the rear yard wall.
Sky Road surface Land lot Asphalt Tree

After further chipping the area grew a bit.
Road surface Asphalt Wall Composite material Groundcover

With the house and walls pressure washed it was time to caulk and mask all window and doors.
Front south.
Sky Building Shade Landscape Gas

The tile accents should really stand out with the new color scheme.
Sky Road surface Wood Asphalt Building

Front west.
Sky Ecoregion Azure Window Land lot

The entry.
Sky Architecture Shade Public space Facade

Front north end.
Property Sky Asphalt Shade Road surface

More to follow.

#836 ·
The back yard facing east.
Sky Shade Asphalt Building Land lot

First coat on the main body color.
Sky Landscape Tints and shades House Building

Sky Property Road surface Asphalt Land lot

Main entry.
Plant Property Sky Shade Terrestrial plant

Front north. That sprinkler alarm bell (below the nearest scupper) was loaded with yellow jackets. Got hit once on my left hand.
Sky Building Road surface House Asphalt

Under the rear porch got two coats of primer before three coats of paint. The wood was left natural for 24 years so it soaked it up.
Wood Shade Interior design Floor Window

The green looks pretty good with the copper brown house.
Cloud Sky Plant Road surface Asphalt

The front garage doors will be rusted to match the two front shop doors. First green coat.
Cloud Sky Road surface Asphalt Wood

The side man doors will share the same green color.
Sky Wood Road surface Building House

The rear (drive through) garage door also got two coats of green. The tile accents look great against the copper brown body. South east end.
Cloud Sky Asphalt Road surface Shade

#837 ·
The south end man door. The swamp cooler will be relocated slightly to the east.
Cloud Sky Window Wood Shade

All the parapet wall on the roof got rolled for extra protection.
Sky Plant Road surface Rectangle Asphalt

The rear outside wall.
Sky Ecoregion Road surface Asphalt Shade

The front completed with exception of rusted garage doors.
Cloud Sky Plant Lighting Land lot

South west view.
Cloud Sky Road surface Asphalt Land lot

The back yard took some time with masking.
Cloud Plant Sky Flowerpot Landscape

The back of the house. The T-straps I built will be sand blasted re-rusted and clear coated using automotive clear for longevity. The grass will be over seeded this weekend.
Plant Cloud Sky Window Land lot

Last nights sunset.
Cloud Sky Plant Building Window

New fixtures, four new ceiling fans a couple of security cameras and rust front doors will finish up the makeover.
I used Dunn-Edwards velvet paint on everything except the under side of the porch. I was treated with a gloss finish to make it easier to pressure wash any Bbq smoke film buildup.
Intotal 13 five gallon pails were required. The metal finish rusting process take three processes and run about $1,400 in materials. I'll document the process for those interested.
Thanks for looking.

#840 ·
Thank you brother!
It was a little more work than I anticipated but getting there.

Reactions: OkDually
#839 ·
Steel vigas

I had a fella wanting to replace his rotting wood vigas with something more "maintenance free".
He pulled out the rotting Vegas to expose 7" deep pockets with 2x4 backing. He was in a rush so I knocked them out after pressure washing the house. I needed a couple of days to allow everything to dry anyway.

8" sch.10 pipe was sourced. What cost $13/ft two years ago now runs $20/ft.
Sky Cloud Outdoor bench Tree Road surface

The Ellis made short work of cutting 13 pieces at 16"
Sky Motor vehicle Outdoor furniture Road surface Wood

The iron worker sheared and punched the brackets.
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive design Gas

All the components ready for welding. Those triangle pieces with the countersunk holes will secure to the 2x4 pocket with the 1/2"-13 all thread protruding 4" past the wall. This will allow for threading in the vita.
My idea is for the home owner to be able to pick a hole to allow the pivot right or left to find center. The 8-5/16" circles were cut on the plasma table and will be the caps for the vigas. The flat trap will get the receiving nut welded to serve as a capture nut for the viga.
Naval architecture Automotive exterior Wood Composite material Motor vehicle

13 ready for welding.
Automotive tire Tire Gas Automotive design Tread

A jig was tacked for proper perpendicular alignment of the all thread bracket. The all thread was plug welded on the backside of the triangular bracket. The same jig was designed to align the flat strap to the pipe.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Road surface

After the cross straps welded in the caps were welded, ground and blended.
Tip: when grinding/ blending welds, its always a good idea to have ample weld. The caps were plasma cut to 8-5/16" while the OD of the pipe was 8-5/8". This provided a nice shoulder or corner joint allowing to grind and blend without removing all the weld.
Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread Asphalt Gas

The first six ready for primer and paint. The securing brackets threaded in.
Automotive tire Flowerpot Automotive wheel system Gas Asphalt

I'll see if I can't get the home owner to shoot some installation shots to share with you all.

Next job in the cue arrived via UPS. The rig is a 2019 Ford F-150 that required a under body goose neck hitch,
airbags and bluetooth wireless compressor that is controlled via smart phone. I recently installed a similar system on a F-350. etrailer.com is so professional and they price match. I was able to save the owner $240 on the compressor with their price match program. I'm not sure why they also included a 10% discount on top of price matching but he will appreciated the money saved. Prolly start this next week because I need to rust the garage doors to complete the house. Stay tuned...
Automotive tire Wood Automotive design Automotive exterior Shipping box

#841 ·
Awesome work. The colors really pop on the house (y)

#843 ·
Thanks, one never really knows how well colors work until the entire job is done but these four colors happened to work out.

#842 · (Edited)
Firestopper, the house looks great!

I don't know if you know this or not as I have yet to hear from anyone, even those in construction, that do know. But stucco is unlike most other exterior finishes (siding, wood siding, etc) in that it is not waterproof at all. And actually is meant to breathe. The waterproofing is in the underlayment house wrap - like brick houses are. Rain and moisture are expected to get under the stucco. Hit the waterproofing house wrap. And then leach back out through the stucco as well as run down the house wrap behind the stucco and exit out the bottom below the stucco. Why this matters is I see it ALL the time, people sealing things to the stucco. It doesn't work that way. I'm not saying you did that at all. I just thought of it while looking over your pics. Cement products, like stucco and grout are not water tight without additive. And stucco on the house is meant to breathe. Lets water and moisture in and lets it back out.

Even if you already knew this, I bet you've met plenty that had no idea.

PS - concrete roof tiles work similarly in that the waterproofing is the tar paper under the tiles that obviously do not block out blowing rain. The cement stucco and tiles protect the waterproofing membranes underneath from the Sun and not from water.

#844 ·
Thank you!
When I built the house in 98, we added brown dye to each stucco batch. This gave the house a sand finish and a very cool look for the first five years. The only thing I did was treat all the parapet walls with a water sealer. As you pointed out, stucco allows for water permutation but also allows moisture to breath and evaporate. The severe monsoon’s each summer bring hard driving rain so I felt sealing the parapets using a bug sprayer and Thompson’s water seal would be beneficial. What kills stucco out hears is the brutal UV leading to stucco failures.
After five years I began to notice how the stucco was wicking water faster than prior years. I then rolled the entire house with one primmer and two coats of elastek. The color was similar to the brown dye used originally.
Elastek is a special elastomeric formulated here in Tucson.
Back in 03 they welcomed DIY’ers, unfortunately they now only deal with roofing contractors and individual painters.
That paint job lasted 19 years until this paint job.
I have a hunch some folks failed to properly prep the stucco before applying elastek. It’s a 100% sealed system so if any moisture finds it’s way in, sever damage occurs and or mold will grow. The acrylic paint formulas most manufacturers use do allow paint to breath. Dunn-Edwards formulated Endurance shield holds up good in the SW desert. A major failure points would be cracked caulking around windows.
Anyway, no offense to any house painters but I hope I never have to do this again.🤣

#845 ·
Now we know what you have been doing with all your spare time. :D

Great job as usual

L8R

#847 ·
Conductor heads

I want to prevent prolonged splashing from the scuppers so decided to install downspouts on nine scuppers. These same nine scuppers were upgraded to 5" when I re-roofed back in March. The gutter companies must think I fell off the turnip truck because the nine conductor heads and downspouts were quoted at $7K. Outrageous for cheap 24 gauge aluminum heads and generic gutter downspouts. I figure the material they use would cost close to $125 per scupper so why would these crooks expect me to pay over $770 per scupper.
Solution...
Make my own conductor heads and down spouts.
As many of you know I normally don't draw when designing projects but these did require some table and computer time.
The concept on paper.
Front view.
Rectangle Schematic Font Parallel Pattern

Sides view. Notice the upper right hand portion of the drawing. The house has a taper inward towards the top of the parapet walls so a slight kick was added. All are slightly different since the stucco was hand applied. Each conductor heads will have an assigned number for install.
Handwriting Rectangle Font Schematic Parallel

The last sketch prior to CAD.
Rectangle Handwriting Font Schematic Material property

The CAD program did reveal a slight oversight on my part as the side plates would have been 1.5" too short.
Handwriting Rectangle Font Pattern Parallel

The main body cut on the plasma table and ready for breaking. The 3-3/4" x 3-3/4" square will accommodate a 14 gauge 4" x 4" down spout. The heads were made from 16 gauge.
Wood Tints and shades Art Trunk Font

Breaking the 45º on the side plates.
Sky Automotive tire Road surface Wood Asphalt

18 ready for tacking.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tool Gas Machine

They are turning out pretty good so far.
Automotive tire Engineering Composite material Wood Gas

Looks like a Supirior box compared to those expensive thin gauge aluminum ones that a humming bird could dent.
Automotive tire Line Asphalt Red Composite material

Rinse and repeat 8 more times. The first two on the lower right hand side have straight backs because that parapet wall is taller than the rest.
Automotive tire Tread Tire Gas Synthetic rubber

On hold as more work has come our way.
Stay tuned.

#853 ·
Dad had that same brake ,how dit it get to Arizona :unsure: :unsure:

Your cad system much more advanced than mine. I am sure though that my Cardboard Aided Design would have got me close.

Great job as always, my fabrication brother.(y):unsure:

Till L8R

#848 ·
A update on the garage doors.
I rolled and brushed two coats of acid blocking primer on both front doors. I will be using Iron and copper paint with two different kinds of activators. My minds eye is seeing a cool rust with green patina for the doors. Many homes in the area use rust finishes on garage doors but I haven't seen what I'm after yet.
I've had several compliments on the garage doors with the primer finish. I didn't tell anyone its only primer.:ROFLMAO:
Sky Land lot Asphalt Building Road surface

Don't mind the masking on the sides and header.
Sky Cloud Land lot Asphalt Beige

A test piece using copper paint and green patina.
Brown Wood Rectangle Wood stain Fixture

The iron paint has been unavailable fore 14 months due to material shortage in the formulation. They use real iron and real copper in the formula so Modern Masters has been environmentally testing the new Iron formula for the past year and a half to ensure the new formula will hold up to the elements.
I want way more rust with patina streaks in the mix. I might have to invest in a handheld battery operated airless. It seems rolling takes way too long and the paint has to be wet when the activator is used.
Rectangle Tints and shades Wood Pattern Font

The two gallons of the acid blocking primer, copper paint, activators, and X-treme sealer ran close to nine hundred shipped but I say "BUY ONCE CRY ONCE" so the wife no longer asks silly questions.:LOL::ROFLMAO:
Bottle Product Blue Liquid Plastic bottle

Last I read, Modern Masters will be releasing the new iron pain in February 2023. On hold on this project but again more shop work has come through the doors. At lease the primmed doors look painted hehehe.
Stay tuned for this one too...

#849 ·
B&W Turnover gooseneck hitch, Air-lift 7300EZ Bluetooth compressor and Air-ride 5000 bags.

The rig is a 2019 F-150 eco-boost FX 4x4.
Trailer.com has been great to deal with. They are friendly folks who strive to make the customer happy. They also price match and save the project $270 on the wireless compressor. The owner will be pleased with the savings.
etrailer.com also shipped within two days of ordering.
The part numbers for the hitch.
Shipping box Package delivery Packing materials Wood Carton

The hardware is grade 8 and cadmium plated while all the brackets are powder coated to a nice fit and finish.
Product Circuit component Font Hardware programmer Electronic engineering

The main brackets.
Bumper Automotive exterior Asphalt Wood Gas

Drilling the Aluminum bed was too easy. Unlike the 2020 F-350 I did a similar install the F-150's bed does not provide a flat area for the socket. This means a potential fore the hole saw to "dance" before cutting a groove.
Tip: when hole saw drilling thin soft irregular profile material such as this bed, run the hole saw in reverse until a groove is established. This doesn't take long and before you know it you have a nice hole were you need it. You only get one chance so make it count!
Second tip: If the bed has a sprayed in liner, you must take into account the thickness of the buildup spray.
In this case the measurement is 42-5/8" from the end of the bed (tailgate end) with the added 1/16'-1/8" of build up I added 1/16" for a measurement of 42-11/16" from the tail end of the bed. Side to side the measurement came to 25-1/4". Because the body panels and bed are made from aluminum, care must be taken to avoid any electrolysis from occurring. All bare aluminum must be painted. After a deburr, a small artist brush was used to coat the edge of the new hole.
Wood Textile Grey Rectangle Font

The B&W kit also comes with polypropylene tape to insulate any contact with the aluminum.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior

The kit also comes with these two fishing wires to assist in threading the hardware into place. Precision cut spacers hold the bolts centered.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exterior Bicycle

A cross member was used to hold the socket centered and prevented from cutting the tape.
Wood Gas Composite material Denim Hardwood

All hardware torqued to 110 ftlbs.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Steering wheel Automotive tire

The ball up and spring loaded safety chain u-bolts installed.
Wood Rectangle Composite material Gas Flooring

The ball nested. The tape around the socket is unscathed.
Automotive tire Blue Wood Rectangle Road surface

To be continued...

#850 ·
That's a great tip on using a hole saw (y)

Hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Reactions: firestopper
#852 ·
That's a great tip on using a hole saw (y)

Hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Thank you sir! I hope you have a great Thanksgiving too. Im heading to the grill next. This is our 25th year of lobster tacos since we don't like three weeks of Turkey leftovers.:ROFLMAO:

#851 · (Edited)
The last pieces to be torqued were the side plates. Bothe of these bolts required fishing and spacers.
Yeah both rear shocks were blown and leaking. It was at this point that I realized this rig had a lift because the distance to bridge the gap for the bags was big. After some research I found some spacers on eBay for $60 shipped from LV.
Ordered on Saturday November 19 and they arrived with yesterday's mail.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

With the hitch completed the bags would have been next but without the spacers I did as much as I could without said spacers. The brake and ABS support bracket was modified. The Milwaukee M12 hack saw worked really nice trimming said bracket.
Plant Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Wood

The Pro Comp lift utilizes a rear spring spacer with a horn to work with the factory bump stop. These horns will need to go.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Line Engineering

Using adjustable stands, one side was removed at a time to prevent any unwanted shifting to the rear axel.
The band saw did a sweet job of trimming the horn away.
Wood Gas Engineering Composite material Machine

Back in with full clearance for the bags.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Engineering Gas Auto part

Checking the angles to determine if level or angled spacers were needed.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood

The truck back on the ground with loaded Suspention a measurement was taken to determine the spacers needed.
The number was 10-1/4" so 4" spaces along with the 1" puck spacer they provided will work.
Pipeline transport Yellow Automotive tire Plumbing valve Gas

Officially on hold with the bags I focused on mounting and wiring in the compressor.
Two 1/4-20x 1" bolts were welded 7" apart. I always pull the negative terminal when welding on vehicles. The ground clamp is inches away from the area to be welded.
Light Automotive exterior Gas Composite material Bumper

After a shot of black enamel to protect the plain bolts, the compressor was bolted in place. Flat washers compressor flat washers followed by nyloc nuts.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exterior

The compressor mounted.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle

More to come...
Happy Thanksgiving!

#854 ·
Great tip about removing the negative battery terminal, and keeping the welding ground clamp as close as possible to the location of welding. Young neighbors son building a welding bed on his 1 ton Dodge dually did not know the welding ground clamp had fallen on to the exhaust pipe. Fried several of the computers. Waited a long time for Stealership to get it repaired, and no telling how much lighter his wallet is. He gained considerable knowledge.

L8R

#857 ·
With the compressor mounted the intake line was routed inside the boxed frame and protected using wire loom.
The filter head was secured in from of a body mount away from direct elements.

The line to the left of the compressor is the air intake.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

Its comes out of the frame about 3' away.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior

With the compressor on the drivers inner frame rail the power cables had to be routed to the passengers side were the battery and power distribution box is located.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Car Vehicle

More wire loom was used as the power cables were fed through the cross member located in front of the compressor.

The power cables protected by the crossmember.
Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Motor vehicle

Out the passengers side and up along the top of the frame were it secures to a larger harness leading to the power distribution box and battery. The Compressor has a positive (red), negative (black0 and a pink wire that is connected to a low amp ignition source. I found fuse #10, a rain sensor with a mini 5 amp fuse to tap into. The pink wire (module) also has an in line fuse of 3 amp. The red + also has an inline fuse for the compressor.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Bumper Automotive exterior

On with mounting the bag spacers and bags.
The passengers side has the exhaust system so careful routing was considered. Here you can see why the rear spring block horn was removed.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Automotive air manifold Car

The driver's side had the brake lines and ABS system to work around. A minimum of 1/2" clearance all around is required for these bags. On the bag spacers, I used similar spacers on my rig and they are rated to 10 tons of compression and made of 1/4" steel. The snap together pucks I'm not a fan of.
Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Wheel Gas

T's were added to each bag for a manual air fill back up in the event the compressor fails. Each line was routed towards the rear bumper. I thought mounting the Schrader valves to the license plate would be practical. Left (drivers) and right Passengers bag. When I installed a similar system on a F-350, I was able to utilize the larger fuel/DEF fill area behind the larger door. This rigs fuel fill area was too small.
Vehicle registration plate Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle Bumper

Lastly the exhaust system got wrapped in header insulation and secured via hose clamps. The 1/4" air supply line was also protected with 10mm heat resistance loom.
Tire Automotive tire Hood Leg Motor vehicle

After pairing my smart phone to the compressor the system came alive and very intuitive to use.
Sky Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive parking light

A fun project and on to the next.
Thanks for visiting...

#865 ·
I have a near miss story to share. Back in 81 while assigned to Sub base Pearl Harbor, I was assigned a job that required torch cutting and reworking a portion of the superstructure on the last diesel submarine at Sub base PH. The USS Barbel SS 580 was commissioned back in the late 50’s and was an old sub compared to the George Washington class boomers and Los Angeles fast attack which were Nuclear powered.
Anyway, when I arrived to set up, I was overwhelmed by the exhaust fumes due to the diesels being ran to charge the battery banks. At the age of 18, I had been aware of the demise of the dirigible Hindenburg. The volatile hydrogen gas produced during battery charging would have been catastrophic when lightning a torch or welding.
The officer of the deck at the time failed to connect the dots of why I was there. I refused to perform any work until the charging operation was completed. My second class petty officer wanted to write me up because he thought I was complaining of the exhaust fumes and being a p***y over the whole deal. When I was summoned to see the senior chief to explain my decision, he realized what could have happened and expressed his appreciation for my situational awareness.
I have many more near miss stories from working rescue calls with the fire department but experience kept me safe.
My point is, only you can protect yourself. Rank and seniority doesn’t make you smarter but being diligent can keep one alive another day.

#866 ·
Pergola

Built this 14" x 18'-31/2" pergola for a neighbor across the street. The right rear post has 3/4" nipples welded at the base (rear) and top (front) to feed power up to a switch and ceiling fan that I will add once they find a suitable outdoor fan.
The base plate end of the right rear column was fitted with a 3/4" nipple I cut in 1/2. That drill will twist your wrist id your not cautious.
Saw Asphalt Gas Automotive tire Composite material

These little magnets help level and hold the nipple in place.
Furniture Table Automotive design Wood Motor vehicle

Burned in. The threaded plastic slip fitting will allow for seal tight to be glued in.
Wood Machine tool Composite material Gas Machine

The detail at the top of each column. This is the same right rear were the power will exit and transition into conduit.
The same post will have a switch to turn on the fan/light.
Wood Shade Tints and shades Beam Wood stain

Started last Saturday and finished Tuesday around noon.
Sky Property Plant Cloud Tree

Looking to the N/W.
Sky Cloud Plant Shade Tree

Dusk.
Sky Plant Shade Tree Dusk

Sky Plant Tree Cloud Shade

He has at least three more project for us to complete.
Sky Window Tree Road surface Asphalt

Turn and Burn!

#867 ·
Expiramenting with different techniques for different results using the copper paint and patina activator.
Sky Property Building Window Shade

A close up of the patina.
Sky Cloud Wood Road surface Landscape

Trying to figure out the best way to paint the garage doors. The directions have you put two coats of acid blocking primer followed by a coat of copper paint and let dry. A second coat of copper paint is applied and while it's wet the activator is sprayed on. The problem I have is the copper paint dries by the time you've put on a second on a 7'x18 garage door. The paint manufacturer recommends rolling and using a chip brush but I'm gonna have to figure out a way to spray the thicker copper paint or do small sections. The problem with small sections is the break in continuity once the patina forms.

Im thinking of a hand held battery operated airless sprayer because thinning is not recommended and using the larger airless would waste paint during. The paint is pricy at $150 ish/gallon so the hand held might be a good option. I wish they used Milwaukee batteries since I long divorced all the DeWalt batteries and chargers.
HD has this bad boy:
Product Screenshot Font Terrestrial plant Technology

#868 ·
Expiramenting with different techniques for different results using the copper paint and patina activator.
View attachment 655552
A close up of the patina.
View attachment 655553
Trying to figure out the best way to paint the garage doors. The directions have you put two coats of acid blocking primer followed by a coat of copper paint and let dry. A second coat of copper paint is applied and while it's wet the activator is sprayed on. The problem I have is the copper paint dries by the time you've put on a second on a 7'x18 garage door. The paint manufacturer recommends rolling and using a chip brush but I'm gonna have to figure out a way to spray the thicker copper paint or do small sections. The problem with small sections is the break in continuity once the patina forms.

Im thinking of a hand held battery operated airless sprayer because thinning is not recommended and using the larger airless would waste paint during. The paint is pricy at $150 ish/gallon so the hand held might be a good option. I wish they used Milwaukee batteries since I long divorced all the DeWalt batteries and chargers.
HD has this bad boy:
View attachment 655556
I wonder if a home made tarp/shade made with some pvc would help slow the drying process just a bit?

Reactions: firestopper
#872 ·
🤣🤣. I have never been able to run tires down to the ware bars. They rot long before they’re worn out and my rigs live indoors. We’ll get it figured out! I just can’t waste any paint or the 24 year old doors will cost as much as replacing them.😬
Why can’t I be normal and just paint or rust these darn doors.🤔

#873 ·
🤣🤣. I have never been able to run tires down to the ware bars. They rot long before they’re worn out and my rigs live indoors. We’ll get it figured out! I just can’t waste any paint or the 24 year old doors will cost as much as replacing them.😬
Why can’t I be normal and just paint or rust these darn doors.🤔
Go out and spray em everyday with a little salt water. Watch the natural beauty take hold... lol

Btw, I learned to stop buying underwear in bulk. The elastic band rots out. Loses its elasticity. Then I gotta use suspenders :oops: (jk) .

#875 ·
Rewired and upgraded the electrical components on this lamp I built in 89. Ive might have shared the story on the lamp but in case I didn't it was a Christmas gift to my young family. Too broke for a purchased gift, I has some remnant material from previous jobs so this was the solution. Later in 98 when we built our home my plan was to leave it with the old house but my wife kindly reminded me I owned a jackhammer.🤣 Transplanted once the last time the wind chime design lamp casted light was ten years ago. The wires at the top had dry rotted insulation from the beating Az sun.

Retirement has afforded me time to address domestic projects so I thought it fitting to regift the lamp by rebuilding the electrical for Christmas. Now it seems we can afford purchased gifts but the appreciation my wife has for my labor is better than anything I can buy her (so she says).

The new light fixtures were further weather proofed with silicone.
Drinkware Tableware Serveware Cup Dishware

Marine grade heat shrink will add a layer of protection and the male/female connectors will allow removal of each light section without cutting wires.
Table Event Drink Art Recreation

Installed in each light section.
Wood Bag Gas Natural material Jewellery

New wires fished up the 4" column then through each arm.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Gas Machine

The service was also updated with a modern GFI and switch. A new improved weather housing was also installed.
Wood Gas Soil Pebble Sand

The weak link is where the wires exit the main post. The sun will beat on those exposes wires and kill the insulation in under five years. I used the same loom Ive used on airbags lines that are in close proximity yo exhaust systems. The stuff is rated for 500ºf direct contact so I'm hopeful it protects the wires from the harsh UV.
Brown Wood Brick Metal Bag

All done!
Plant Sky Plant community Flower Terrestrial plant

That evening the shadows casted were a forgotten treat!
Street light Automotive lighting Lighting Electricity Building

Wife was all smiles...

#876 ·
Shot automotive clear on the San Xavier mission I cut out for a fellow. Being I used cold rolled sheet, I used Vinegar, peroxide, and salt to decelerate the rusting process.
Font Tints and shades Rectangle Soil Metal

He sourced an LED light kit from Lowes for $15.
It can scroll through color changes or you leave it on one color. "As seen on TV"!🤣
Material property Cameras & optics Audio equipment Automotive tire Camera lens

A few colors...
Lighting Interior design Automotive design Art Window
Property Picture frame Building Interior design Wall
Interior design Picture frame Window Wall Building
Green Window Couch Interior design Picture frame

#877 ·
Those "T" and "L" straps for the rear outside porch were also cleared since I was spaying.
Sky Wood Land lot Brick Wall

A close up with five mediums coats of clear. I'm liking the slight rust with copper and patina finish/
Wood Cross Line Religious item Font

The backs sides got two cats of rolled primer. I'll share a photo of them re-installed.

#878 ·
Another little project to share,
The Sierra got new headlights and front turn signals.
The products are from Taiwan and DOT approved. The old HID worked flawlessly for 16 years but the halo burnt out on one some years back. I did spend 15-20 minutes per fixture resealing the two halves with Permatex rite stuff to ensure no moisture could enter. This is on of the down falls to aftermarket headlight assemblies. The fit is perfect and adjustable to keep the light were it need to be.

Out with the old!
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bicycle handlebar Motor vehicle Vision care

A facelift for the 17 year old girl.
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Land vehicle Wheel

The turn signals are sequential and the DRL's are nice and bright.
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Vehicle Grille Hood

The land Cruiser also got some upgraded side mirrors from Japan. New Old Stock European style. The originals never stay put because the plastic cracks around the adjusting ball making them dangerous and useless.
Guitar accessory Hood Font String instrument accessory Glass

These are the useless ones that were used on American Imports. Notice the crack around the ball on the left one.
Textile Motor vehicle Engineering Retail Market

The glass is of better quality too.
Motor vehicle Mode of transport Vehicle Automotive design Gas

They look pretty clean and fold inward to clear brush.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Passengers side.
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

Enjoy your Sunday!