Diesel Place banner

The Fallout shelter 14'X40'X80'

Tags
projects shop
79K views 1K replies 18 participants last post by  firestopper 
#1 ·
Back in 2013 I decided to build a detached shop next to my home. For 15 years I had been working out of an attached 26'X50" but it seemed I had acquired too many machines and quickly found myself unable to park any rigs inside. Living in the SW desert of Arizona, I was at full time war with packrats and the harsh UV rays of the sun. I wanted something large enough to address it all. My old shop had a large Band saw, cold saw, lathe, mill, pipe bender, CNC 5'x10' plasma table, several tool boxes, a compliment of miller welders, 51Ton iron worker and a 4'x12' jig table just to name a few. Needless to say all automotive work was preformed outside.

A last look of the old shop.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Engineering Industry Factory

After pulling a large Palo Verde tree and relocating a 40' sea container I was ready to layout the new pad.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Sky Car

Forming and importing dirt as well as laying out all the anchor bolts for the 10 columns.
Cloud Sky Wood Road surface Asphalt

The night before the 3am pour.
Automotive lighting Light Street light Road surface Asphalt

The foundation was poured in mid July with temps averaging 105º.
A 44 meter pump truck kept the flow coming. I had hired eight finishers for the day myself included.
The fella at the drivers side outrigger at the pump is 6'3" so it gives you an idea of the size of the pump rig.
Cloud Sky Road surface Asphalt Vehicle

The power finisher doing its magic.
Cloud Sky Property Tire Road surface

Finished up around noon for a 9 hour day. I kept the water on for 7 days to counter the hot days.
Cloud Sky Tree Asphalt Road surface

Another shot from the NW corner. You can see the 1.5" notch around the perimeter. This will secure a 3" base flange with the skins over it to keep water out. The hose entering the slab is a "man door" location. The west end will have
two 10' x 12' garage doors. the NE side will have a 10'X 12' rollup door (2 post lift), and the SE end will have a 10'X12'
garage door aligned up to the one of the West doors for a drive through option.
Water Plant Watercourse Composite material Tree

About a week later the delivery from El Paso arrived with the kit I purchased through Mueller inc. They were great to deal with every step of the way. The provided all the engineering to satisfy my county. The only thing I had to source was a foundation with an engineering stamp for all the steel in the piers and footers.
Cloud Sky Vehicle Wheel Tree

Between the drivers crab style fork lift and my Hyster, we made short work of staging the "red iron".
Cloud Sky Tree Road surface Mountain

More to follow.

See less See more
#800 ·
Spigot Guard

Some years back when I was trimming out the inside of the shop, I thought it would be a good idea to build a guard to prevent breaking the spigot in the event I run into it.
A few years later and I still hadn’t addressed it. Last week I did “kiss” the spigot with a cylinder dolly and realized I was on borrowed time. This morning I was looking for a quick project when I remembered the needed guard.
The scrap pile yielded some goods that also came with a design. A short piece of 1”X 12 ga. Round tube and Short section of 1/8”x 1.5” flat strap was the ingredients.
The Ercolina bent a 180° hoop and two tabs were made from the scrap flat strap. Chamfered corners, drilled and countersunk finished up the tabs.
The spigot protruding 7".
Road surface Wood Asphalt Font Gas

here you can see the compressed gas cylinders that are stored at this corner of the building. Running into the spigot would really suck since it’s all copper and attached to sch.80 PVC at the floor.
Automotive tire Asphalt Automotive wheel system Motor vehicle Gas

The rotary bender really does a nice job bending pipe and tubing.
Automotive tire Wood Electrical wiring Bumper Gas

Ready for welding.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Asphalt Road surface

Preinstalling makes quick work after the paint cures.
Wood Gas Tool Concrete Metal

It’s gonna work and look good.
Wood Floor Flooring Road surface Composite material

safety orange.
Shoe Automotive tire Blue Textile Sleeve

A quick project to prevent a long repair.
Have a great Sunday fellas.
Turn and Burn…

#801 · (Edited)
New Front signals

With the 40 turning 40 this year, the front turn signal assemblies were showing their age. Sourced some NOS Toyota assemblies and upgraded to LED’s.
The entire rigs lights are now LED with exception of headlights and HID lights on bumper.

Old assemblies (top) with cracked and broken lenses.
Automotive parking light Hood Green Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Ready for the new fixture. Upgraded the grommet and wire fastener.
Automotive exterior Gas Bumper Machine Auto part

Quick and easy.
Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

Drivers side was the same with the exception of removing the air intake to access the wire connectors.
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Grille

Luv those LED’s (3 of them per fixture).
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive side marker light

Old school with a modern safety upgrade.
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Now if only I could affordable premium fuel to drive this 12 MPG rig…
Have a awesome Tuesday brethren.

#803 ·
Thanks brother. I still take the rig into tight trails with heavy brush and enjoy not worrying about pinstripes. I’ve actually become fond of the patina as it gives her character.

#804 · (Edited)
Skylight Shields

Some years back I upgraded to a commercial type skylight from the domed acrylic style that would crack from UV.
The commercial ones are all aluminum TIG welded frames with double pane tempered flat glass. The problem was the glass I chose was clear allowing too much light in during the peak of the day. The other concern was the increase of hail storms in recent years.
Last March the roof was re done and my wife requested I eliminate one skylight from her walk-in closet so I kept it thinking it would come in handy when I design shields.

One of the projects I shared of a pergola I did some time back the customer had four sheets of 16 gauge formed perforated (1/2" holes) galvanized sheets. I traded some of the work for these sheets as he had no use for them. As soon as I spotted them I knew they would make great shield covers.

I used a 5.5" circular saw with a diablo cut-off disc (6 of them) to cut eight shield covers. Six skylights are 27"x 54" and two are 27"x 27". I cut the shields to be 4" wider and 6" longer to provide overhang after installation. The frames were made from 3/16" x 1" 6061 aluminum flat bar.
As I was measuring up the actual widths for the new frames I decided to make the frames domed so when the shields are secured to the frames they would have a crown providing extra rigidness to the 16 gauge formed sheets.

Two lines were drawn 26.75" apart on the table. A scrap piece of 14 gauge sheet was then used to form the curved profile I was after. Large 90º magnets held the profile while I traced it on the table and took a measurement of the circumferance needed.
Automotive tire Hood Flooring Asphalt Automotive design

A flex tape was used to measure the circumstance between the lines. Small earth magnets use to hols the tape.
Automotive tire Tire Road surface Asphalt Yellow

Other end. Once I had this rough measurement, I double checked it using math. I also determined the radius of the circe used for the profile. The actual mathamatical measurement came to 27.6384"(circumference).
Floor Line Wood Flooring Gas

I figured out the radius was R=31.32' and section measurement of 27.6384" (rounded down to 27-5/8").
Road surface Asphalt Grey Wood Floor

A cut piece of the formed perorated sheet was tested using the same magnets to see if the material would conform without difficulty.
Automotive tire Road surface Mesh Automotive exterior Gas

The sheets are very sharp! It seemed every time I handled the sheets I would snag of cut a finger. I decided to fold the corners in and create a hem. This will keep from snagging a pant leg when on the roof. It also provided some rigidity to the unsupported corners.
Automotive tire Wood Textile Asphalt Floor

All eight covers done. Those corners eventually got hammered down flush using a dead-blow mallet.
Table Furniture Automotive tire Stool Textile

Next up was to cut the Aluminum flat bar.
Road surface Wood Asphalt Automotive tire Motor vehicle

A simple bending jig was tacked to the table for hand profiling.
Hood Road surface Wood Asphalt Flooring

The end of the table was set up for bending, verifying profile and finally welding the frames. All while sitting on a stool.
A good start.
Tire Wheel Table Stool Flooring

More to come...

#805 ·
Rinse and repeat 15 more times. Notice the 2" line increments. These aid in a consistent bend when doing multiples by hand. They also aid in correcting over bends by tracking the exact last bend. The bend jig layout was tacked with this in mind. Once close the piece is then bent between the lines for a more fluid arc.
Automotive tire Wood Line Asphalt Automotive wheel system

The uprights were drilled on the mill using DRO for precision location. A very small margins for running in Tek screws without breaking glass. A ratcheting hand de-burring tool really cleans up the edges of the holes.
Tool Wood Saw Drill Blade

While working with the mill a unidirectional drill jig was designed and drilled to allow the exact location of mounting holes without layout once on the roof.
Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Wood Line

Set up for right or left hand the drill jig is engaged at each corner and the proper side is drilled.
The two set of holes seen on the drill jig are for the two different size skylights.
Automotive tire Bumper Hood Rectangle Automotive exterior

Two pieces tacked onto the table will be used as a weld jig. The small magnet puts pressure on the arched section to hold it in place.
Hood Road surface Asphalt Water Wood

Using the TIG, I set up the torch with a 1/16" tungsten electrode and used 3/32" 4043 filler rod at 120 amps.
Another good example of using a corner weld joint.
Automotive tire Wood Bumper Motor vehicle Asphalt

Almost done...

#806 ·
The drill jig was taken to the roof and all eight skylight frames were predrilled in short order.
The first four larger skylights over the old work shop.
Sky Cloud Tree Snow Automotive tire

Two smaller (bathroom and laundry room) and one larger over the kitchen.
Cloud Sky Slope Tree Land lot

Looking up from the kitchen. I estimate the shields block close to 20% of harsh sunlight.
A vast improvement.
Daytime Light Wood Shade Lighting

Lastly a large one over the master bath.
Cloud Sky Slope Asphalt Tree

This fall I plan on rolling paint on all parapet walls followed by paining the house.
BTW, This is a four ply BUR roof system I ended up with. All the other systems I researched left me doubtful with the harsh desert sun. My last roof was a 3 ply that never leaked and lasted 23 years. I should be dead when this place need a reroof. Just for comparison, In 1998 when I built the house a new 3 ply roof cost $5,500. This 4-ply cost $24K. Only four contractors would return my call. I signed the contract in Nov of 2021 and was on the books until March of 2022. This country is Fu*ked when it comes to willing workers. This Gov'ment is an expert at wrecking our nation.
Cloud Sky Asphalt Tree Gas

Side note:
Found this little fellow by the mail box the other day. After a romaine snack, I relocated it to the rear of my property away from the road. It's said to take ten years before you can tell the gender of these slow growing creatures.
Vertebrate Reptile Gesture Turtle Terrestrial animal

CHOW!
Reptile Terrestrial animal Turtle Grass Snout

Have a great weekend!

#807 ·
Awesome job once again!!
(y)

Reactions: firestopper
#808 ·
Thank you brother.
Many ways to skin a catfish, hopefully someone can use a technique or two.

#809 ·
Took the 40 through Greaterville pass over to Madera Canyon. A pleasant drive and green from the monsoon rains.
At the start.
Sky Plant Cloud Plant community Natural landscape

about 22 miles over to Madera.
Cloud Sky Plant Plant community Ecoregion

The green is so different from the norm.
Sky Plant Plant community Ecoregion Mountain

Into Madera some locals know they have the right away for now.
Plant Plant community Motor vehicle Sky Car

These guys will become scarce come October as Turkey seasons opens.
Bird Plant Turkey Wild turkey Phasianidae

A nice run for sure. Oh, the upgraded seats were a treat.
Have a great Sunday.

#810 ·
A little maintenance on the Scotchman Ironworker.
This machine was built 06/96 and was trailer mounted as a traveling demo. I found it online back in 2003 located in PA. That said this unit has only been operated by two people in 26 years.

The unit takes 12 gallons of ISO 46 hydraulic oil and a spin on filter.
Paint Cylinder Gas Tin Automotive tire
With the front skin off you can spot the filter head down low to the right.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design Asphalt

a closer look.
Automotive tire Hood Automotive exterior Carbon Gas

On the backside, a manual fluid extractor was used to evacuate the old fluid. A large donut magnet at the bottom of the reservoir as well as the entire inside of the reservoir was spotless.
Motor vehicle Asphalt Automotive exterior Bumper Gas

I need to add an hour meter to the electrical cabinet door but for now a piece of frog tape with the date and details will work.
Interior design Automotive design Gas Machine Room

All pivot points were greased and skins back on ready for another 800 hours.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Asphalt Automotive exterior

Safe to say this machine is one frequently used in the Fallout shelter.

• Love
Reactions: OkDually
#811 ·
A Packrat trap
Been at war with Pack rats since 1998. Manual rat traps don’t always work and fall apart.
Electronic ones require batteries and honestly too small for Packrats. Besides the traps mentioned require set up per rat.
Decided to build a simple clamp on roller design from 100% scrap. The only cutting I had was the paint roller frame and a short piece of 1.5” PVC conduit. Everything else was small scraps I keep in 5 gallon pails behind the Ironworker.

The simple components that slip over an edge of a 5 gallon pail. No holes needed or other modifications to use this design.
The short pieces of 1/2”x1” tube were bent in for a snug fit over the pail.
Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Automotive tire Tool

Installed.
Drinkware Basketball hoop Basketball Glass Art

The 24” ramp has a 1/2” return bend to provide some rigidity. Two small 1/4” round bar index the ramp to the roller assemblies for easy assembly.
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood

With 2 gallons of water and some peanut butter bait the trap should work well without a mess.
The greedy Packrats will climb the ramp, then while transitioning onto the roller portion they should fall into the water and drown. I’m hoping to catch multiple rats per night using this simple trap.
Stay tuned…

#812 ·
Will handrails be a future safety improvement. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: (y) (y)

#813 ·
No fall protection for those rats🤣🤣

#814 ·
You'd have to get an old iron bathtub instead of a bucket if you had a Javelina problem :ROFLMAO:

#815 ·
Maybe even put a thin layer of butter or cooking oil on the roller.

I like your trap (y)

Years ago I discovered a roach trap. Mason jars or coffee cans filled part way up with old wet coffee grounds. Set it outside against a wall, fence, etc. The roaches climb in for the coffee. Get the oils on their feet and can't climb out. It worked amazingly well. Get like 19 big roaches a night. Just add more water to drown 'em and by eve the water had evaporated enough that the grounds were exposed again. If you have roaches in the shop...

While roaches in the garage and outside are no big deal, they do freak me out when I'm on my back under the truck and one comes strutting by within feet of my face :oops:

Note for folks that don't know, roaches are all over in the desert. Big ones. They hardly ever make it in doors to living spaces. But they own the night outdoors, especially with new construction as they lived here first.

#816 ·
This was in the pail trap this morning.
Automotive tire Stairs Wood Rim Alloy wheel

#817 ·
The proof is in the trap.
You da man (y)
L8R

#818 ·
#819 ·
UPDATE: Been steadily catching both Packrats and mice with that Rube Goldberg trap:p

Two Post lift and Awning

Built a 13'X15'X15' Awning for a buddy that builds American Muscle cars. He's sold 16 so far at Barrett-Jackson over a ten year period. We've known one another for 34 years now.

Anyway he retired and sold his auto mechanic business. He wants to restore 1-2 cars per year to keep sharp.
That said he needed a lift and some shade.

Base plates sheared and punched on the ironworker then welded onto .120 X 4" x 4" tube.
Bench Automotive exterior Bumper Asphalt Gas

I had shot grade prior so I had four different length columns which would be number stamped for correct placement.
Working in the heat is getting a little harder mostly because of the monsoon humidity. 1-2 gallons of water with little output other than sweating wears on me. The up/dn ladder work did not phase the 14 month old knee.:)

Sky Cloud Plant Road surface Asphalt

Commercial grade decking was stacked cut and pre-drilled for a straight line finish.
Sky Shade Plant Facade Gas

The slab was laid out to locate the two posts.
I missed my forklift that day....:oops:
Asphalt Wood Road surface Gas Shade

Used a Bosch Bulldog hammer drill to set ten 3/4" x 5.5" Hilti wedge anchors.
Squatting does piss off the new knee! The fix...don't squat!:LOL:
Sky Plant Building Shade Window

The next morning the airless made quick work of the raw steel. This time of the year, it gets windy as soon as it heats up. Finished up the structural portion of the Rotary two post lift.
Sky Cloud Shade Asphalt Road surface

Still need to run cables, hoses and electrical for the finish line.
Cloud Sky Shade Residential area Rural area

Have a safe and productive week DP brethren.
Turn and Burn...

#820 ·
Been keeping an eye out on CL for a solid Master Level. Perseverance finally paid off with this Starrett No.199
The resolution is .0005"/12". It will only be used to level out the Lathe bed twice a year or so.
For 200 bucks this is in pristine condition.

Computer Personal computer Computer keyboard Computer monitor Peripheral

Beautiful!
Computer monitor Computer keyboard Personal computer Computer Output device

Feels solid.
Computer Computer keyboard Peripheral Input device Output device

Not a single chip or ding noted.
Looks like it was just scraped with perfect frosting!
Table Computer keyboard Peripheral Input device Desk

Time to go out and level the Lathe.
Have a great Sunday brothers!

#821 ·
Nice score! Even the box is in great shape!

Reactions: firestopper
#822 ·
Thanks!
I’ve been been on the hunt for one of these for some time.

#823 ·
Custom Gates

The same gentleman that I built the auto slide gate, pergola, and installation of the Rotary two post lift has kept me busy. The last phase will be a manual 12’ slide gate that will access the lift.
Material used for the frames and posts were 14ga x 1-1/2” x 1-1/2” square tube. The inner frames used to secure the raw corrugated sheets are 16ga 3/4” x 3/4” square tube.

A single lock box was welded in to take a keyed lever handle.
All frame joints were mitered.
Asphalt Wood Composite material Road surface Engineering

The second gate was also cut and single box welded.
Clamping the lock box post to what will be the the opposite vertical frame ensures a straight frame section when welding in the box.
Tip: Allow the weld joint to cool to touch before unclamping.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Bicycle wheel Automotive tire

The frames done and ready for skins. These gates are 50”W x 64-1/2” tall and 51”W x 60-1/2” tall.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Wider than the 5K Hyster. 😎
Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

So my Milwaukee M18 collection has been growing as needed.
This saw made short work of stacked sheets. The hard blade cover collects the chips. A small window shows when to dump the swarf.
Automotive tire Engineering Wood Gas Composite material

Using #8x1/2” self drill/tap Tek screws wire well with the skins and 3/4” framing. A M18 1/4” Surge impact ran those screws in.
The Surge has three presets to prevent braking off the screw heads.
Wood Composite material Gas Metal Fixture

To rip the skins I used an M18 low profile 5” grinder with cutoff wheel. This grinder works very well. Both the circular saw and grinder have motor braking so the blades come to full stop in 1.5 seconds.

This gate opens outward. The 3/8” redhead anchors were driven in using a M12 3/8” drive impact. This too has three presets. Milwaukee has really made some decent battery tools.
Wood Composite material Tree Grass Rectangle

This gate opens inwards so a small piece of flat strap was welded on the striker post to prevent tampering.
Wood Sky Fence Road surface Tree

A shot of both installed gates.
Sky Wood Road surface Fence Rectangle

Thanks for looking.

#824 ·
Nice job!
(y)

#826 ·
Thank you sir!

#825 ·
Cloning a GTO Judge.

This project was started as a father son endever when my son was 13. Life got in the way of completing this for HS.
I ended up finding him a 98 Trans Am WS-6 six speed to drive during HS. He left for the military at 17 and the GTO project took to the back burner. The A body frame was sandblasted and new motor mount welded in to accept a LT-1. Self etching primer followed up with Three coats of Epoxy gloss paint.
Eibach 2” lowering springs were added as well as 4 wheel disc brakes. The rear end was rebuilt and painted. The trailing arms were boxed in and engine set in. We then built a rotisserie and repaired the two rusted areas behind the rear wheels typically found on a body. The body was then soda ash blasted and sealed. Then the project sat for the next 21years.
The chassis lived in the two car garage however the body sat outside on the rotisserie.
The file of receipts show a investment of $12K from 21years ago.
Green Sports equipment Table Flooring Floor

All interior had been purchased as well as a painless harness and a Z-28 computer. The wheels are from an IROC Z.
The build sheet was found in between the fuel tank and body.
Wood Font Handwriting Paper Paper product

Rear end shot.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

The business end of the chassis.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Cloud Sky

The body.
Wheel Tire Cloud Sky Land vehicle

I’ve recommitted to completing this project and presenting it to my son when finished. I will only work two full days per week as I have too many other things on my plate but it will get done. My son doesn’t know about the resurrection of this project but will when she’s done. The doors were also shaved as was all molding. I’m adding flush mount Kindig- it door handles and flush modern glass. New front GTO fenders, GTO Hood with hood tac and rear spoiler with frenched in LED 3rd light. The bumpers will be modified to tuck in like Foose does with custom fetched in LED.
The gentleman I’ve been building gates and such has built sixteen muscle cars for Barrett-Jackson and has agreed to allow me to build this car out at his location.
My friend doesn’t do any body work or paint but is a damn good mechanic and restoration specialist.

The following shots are is a 1970 El Camino he’s recently finished and will be sold at the upcoming Barrett-Jackson.
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Speedometer Light Gauge Motor vehicle Tachometer

Motor vehicle Car Vehicle Automotive design Hood

He’s been after me to complete the GTO clone so it’s time.
Stay tuned for some custom sheet metal work.
Turn and Burn!

#828 · (Edited)
Thanks brother, retirement has been providing more time to get more done. My buddy did a great job on that El Camino. It has a touch of modern with the simplicity and brutality of old muscle.

#829 ·
Before anyone else gets in front. WOULD YOU ADOPT ME. ? :rolleyes:

Awesome as always.

L8R(y)

#830 ·
Before anyone else gets in front. WOULD YOU ADOPT ME. ? :rolleyes:

Awesome as always.

L8R(y)
Thank you brother!
You have a base camp here in Az.😎

#832 ·
This past week has been busy with multiple projects. I've been prepping the exterior of the house for paint. All exterior fixtures removed, all rock pulled away 16" from all walls and house, porch ceiling fans removed, and all stucco (few small) cracks filled. Windows will be caulked tomorrow. Pressure wash on Wednesday for next weekend spray with back rolling. I had scraped and sanded all exterior wood a few months ago but they will be sprayed over along with the casa.
We decided to go with the green for all pop-outs and doors (except the main entrance).
The body of the house will be the lower darker bronze while all wood in a lighter shade of brown (close to the same color). The garage doors will be rusted. I'll make sure to post up details of that process.
Plant Property Sky Shade Architecture

Different angle.
Sky Plant Property Daytime Window

Last Friday we grubbed the entire front of the property. Took 12 hours and four dump truck loads. Tomorrow a front loader will redistribute the dirt.

What it looked like at 7am.

Cloud Sky Plant Ecoregion Road surface

The mini excavator cut in at the center and carved away from the center out. The thumb really made it nice when plucking out the thick cholla cacti. I found one gopher snake and relocated it while stomping rats.:cool:
Cloud Sky Plant Plant community Land lot

Six hours later and making headway.
Sky Cloud Plant Vehicle Asphalt

I was able to save two old Palo Verde trees. A extendable pole chain saw made short work of those higher rogue limbs.
Time is of the essence when renting these machines.
The native Mesquite tree you see here was rotten and full of missile-toe so we plucked it.
Cloud Sky Plant Plant community Tire

The mini size was a good choice for this size job.
Cloud Sky Plant Asphalt Land lot

Looking to the north/east.
Sky Plant Cloud Tree Road surface

The after shot really shows the drastic change from the first photo.
Sky Cloud Plant Road surface Tree

Turn and Burn!