Diesel Place banner

The Fallout shelter 14'X40'X80'

Tags
projects shop
79K views 1K replies 18 participants last post by  firestopper 
#1 ·
Back in 2013 I decided to build a detached shop next to my home. For 15 years I had been working out of an attached 26'X50" but it seemed I had acquired too many machines and quickly found myself unable to park any rigs inside. Living in the SW desert of Arizona, I was at full time war with packrats and the harsh UV rays of the sun. I wanted something large enough to address it all. My old shop had a large Band saw, cold saw, lathe, mill, pipe bender, CNC 5'x10' plasma table, several tool boxes, a compliment of miller welders, 51Ton iron worker and a 4'x12' jig table just to name a few. Needless to say all automotive work was preformed outside.

A last look of the old shop.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Engineering Industry Factory

After pulling a large Palo Verde tree and relocating a 40' sea container I was ready to layout the new pad.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Sky Car

Forming and importing dirt as well as laying out all the anchor bolts for the 10 columns.
Cloud Sky Wood Road surface Asphalt

The night before the 3am pour.
Automotive lighting Light Street light Road surface Asphalt

The foundation was poured in mid July with temps averaging 105º.
A 44 meter pump truck kept the flow coming. I had hired eight finishers for the day myself included.
The fella at the drivers side outrigger at the pump is 6'3" so it gives you an idea of the size of the pump rig.
Cloud Sky Road surface Asphalt Vehicle

The power finisher doing its magic.
Cloud Sky Property Tire Road surface

Finished up around noon for a 9 hour day. I kept the water on for 7 days to counter the hot days.
Cloud Sky Tree Asphalt Road surface

Another shot from the NW corner. You can see the 1.5" notch around the perimeter. This will secure a 3" base flange with the skins over it to keep water out. The hose entering the slab is a "man door" location. The west end will have
two 10' x 12' garage doors. the NE side will have a 10'X 12' rollup door (2 post lift), and the SE end will have a 10'X12'
garage door aligned up to the one of the West doors for a drive through option.
Water Plant Watercourse Composite material Tree

About a week later the delivery from El Paso arrived with the kit I purchased through Mueller inc. They were great to deal with every step of the way. The provided all the engineering to satisfy my county. The only thing I had to source was a foundation with an engineering stamp for all the steel in the piers and footers.
Cloud Sky Vehicle Wheel Tree

Between the drivers crab style fork lift and my Hyster, we made short work of staging the "red iron".
Cloud Sky Tree Road surface Mountain

More to follow.

See less See more
#311 ·
Three shoulder surgeries and right knee surgery and she was right there for me. It’s the least
I can do for my wife. You all keep them gals happy.
Happy wife happy life🥺

#312 ·
Yep them gals are some kind of special, to put up with us.
L8R

Reactions: firestopper
#314 ·
Once the Lathe was in service, I had a metal fabrication job to knockout. The customer had a landscape architect design some metal features for his back yard. A couple of them were designed to conceal an A/C ground unit. The other features were tree planters for three existing trees. He also wanted me to incorporate some seating on said planters.
No drawings were provided only a rendering. Since the trees already existed, I had to design a field bolt together kit.
All steel material used was 1/4" thick. O ordered the 4' x 8' sheets sheared to the correct height and hand plasma cut them to dimension.
Table Wood Outdoor table Outdoor furniture Desk

The 1/4" x 1"x1" angle were drilled Ising the CNC mill to locate the spacing.
Electrical wiring Engineering Gas Electricity Electronic engineering

The sides got matching holes.
Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Engineering

Some of the connection brackets.
Musical instrument Grille Musical instrument accessory Font Wood

First box assembled.
Wood Rectangle Bumper Automotive design Automotive exterior

Some details of the brackets.
Asphalt Flooring Gas Bumper Composite material

Second box underway.
Automotive exhaust Musical instrument Bumper Gas Automotive exterior

A close up of the end weld.
Bumper Wood Hood Floor Flooring

All three done. BTW, the mill in the back round is back. My friend sold his house and moved back to Ca. I picked the machine up and plan of delivering it to him. Another red eye trip to come.
Automotive design Flooring Floor Wood Automotive exterior

Next, design a seating bracket. The first bracket is laid out to mimic the setting boards. This piece will be used to set up the Iron worker punch station. Te rest of the pieces do not require layout or marks.
Rectangle Automotive tire Wood Road surface Font

More to come...

#315 ·
With the punch station set up the iron worker makes short work of poking holes.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Engineering Toolroom Gas

No kidding, in a matter of a few minutes all the holes are done.
Automotive tire Automotive design Wood Bumper Automotive exterior

Remember that tooling cart I built in a previous post? Its a back saver to say the least. The punch station is converted to a break station.
Automotive design Table Motor vehicle Automotive tire Audio equipment

The stroke limit switches make for a repeatable bend.
Motor vehicle Machine tool Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

Another quick and clean operation.
Automotive tire Asphalt Gas Machine Automotive wheel system

The gang.
Automotive tire Chair Gas Asphalt Engineering

So I decided to change up the rendering slightly. My take was to have a right, center and left planter. This way folks sitting on them would have a face to engage with. The "professional" had all three identical meaning the right and left planters most outside seats would face nobody.
Automotive tire Wood Floor Flooring Gas

Some leveling.
Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Gas Composite material

This would be the center planter.
Wood Road surface Asphalt Automotive exterior Bumper

Some gussets added.
Wood Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior

#316 ·
I had ordered composite 2x4's from Bear Lumber Products. They will require no maintenance and come in several colors. The have the look and feel of a wood 2x4.

All ready for composite boards. All edges and corners have been broken or softened.
Building Motor vehicle Shade Gas Parking

The shipment arrives.
Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Wood Yellow

Using carriage bolts and the correct sized drill to allow for expansion and contraction.
Wood Rectangle Flooring Floor Hardwood

The center.
Rectangle Wood Floor Gas Flooring

Ready for breakdown and delivery/install. The top edges of the boxes got a 5/16 rod welded on for further softening.
I could see a dog or kid getting cut on this edge.
Wood Composite material Gas Flooring Hardwood

Installed.
Notice the panel I installed previously in the same week. I use a blend of copper sulfate, muriatic acid, and H20 for instant rust. Those panels also are removable. The two base flanges are welded to posts cemented into the ground.
Four bolts per flange hold the large panel allowing it to be removed to replace the A/C unit.
Plant Road surface Sky Shade Tree

The left tree planter getting buttoned up.
Wood Outdoor bench Road surface Rectangle Grass

Overall view.
Plant Property Sky Shade Building

Looking to the south.
Plant Road surface Tree Asphalt Shade

Torquing down the last carriage bolts to call it done.

#317 ·
Excellent work! (y)

#319 ·
Thank you very much.

Paco
I want you to know I'm joking with you, when I say this. When someone around here is doing some nice work , some folks will say, " You keep practicing, you might get pretty good at that"

So Lil brother Paco
You keep on practicing, you may get pretty good at that.! 👍
Very nice.!
Till L8R
You do know, when it comes to fabricating, I have and will always state I have been practicing for north of 40 years.:cool:
After any project, I usually fine a better way but then there's those few that I'm completely satisfied 100%. And I do mean a few. Take the tailstock DRO bracket for example, It was a challenging design without a drawing but with material I had on hand, I was able to visualize what I needed. The end results is it works well and looks fine but It could look better. I do not plan on a remake but learned what I could do differently. This is a pitfall for not investing time on a CAD design but I rather be in the shop than on a computer.
I appreciate your following along and participation and look forward to more from you.

Ever herd of the expression " If the measurement is any closer, we'd be off".
Have a great Friday brother!

#318 ·
Paco
I want you to know I'm joking with you, when I say this. When someone around here is doing some nice work , some folks will say, " You keep practicing, you might get pretty good at that"

So Lil brother Paco
You keep on practicing, you may get pretty good at that.! 👍
Very nice.!
Till L8R

#320 · (Edited)
So my MIL passed around the time of the last project shared. Her wishes were to be cremated and buried in her family plot with her two late sons and husband. The plot has room for several caskets but she insisted on being in-between het two sons.
This meant there was no room for a full casket and that's why she chose cremation.

I wanted to build something that family members could place mementos inside with her remains. She also requested the cremains of her beloved dog be with her. I was limited in size but designed a vessel to seal off all the contents from the concrete tomb.

I used a section of schedule 40 8" pipe. The ends were grooved to create a mild internal lip.
Drinkware Tableware Fluid Gas Automotive tire

A close up of the groove. These grooves are used to couple sections of pipe for fire protection sprinkler systems using victolic couplers.
Automotive tire Fluid Cookware and bakeware Audio equipment Cylinder

The fit was good and the groove worked well as a lip. This will be the bottom.
Cookware and bakeware Gas Cooking Metal Aluminium

The lid end got a tapped hole to secure the lid once all items were placed by loved ones.
Musical instrument Idiophone Material property Muffler Tin

A shot of the bottom.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design

The lid got a custom made handle to allow us to lower the vessel into the deep hole prior to sealing with concrete.
The little hinge was turned by my son who made it home on bereavement leave.
Fluid Cookware and bakeware Drink Composite material Gas

The lid opens wide allowing items under 8" to be placed.
Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system Asphalt Engineering

Lastly, the interior got a gloss brilliant white coat of enamel paint keeping it pure.
Membranophone Drum Drumhead Product Idiophone

The exterior got her favorite color of Navy Blue.
Automotive tire Wheel Fluid Drink Cylinder

My MIL resting between her two sons as per her wishes. I also set the headstone for the family.
A second pour created a pedestal under the base of the headstone once the initial pour cured some.
Plant World Light Cemetery Black

I wasn't sure this should be shared, but the vessel was a shop creation that was built with prayer and dignity to my best ability. I miss my "mom", she always treated me with love and respect.
Peace.

#321 ·
So my MIL passed around the time of the last project shared. Her wishes were to be cremated and buried in her family plot with her two late sons and husband. The plot has room for several caskets but she insisted on being in-between het to sons.
This meant there was no room for a full casket and that's why she chose cremation.

I wanted to build something that family members could place mementos inside with her remains. She also requested the cremains of her beloved dog be with her. I was limited in size but designed a vessel to seal off all the contents from the concrete tomb.

I used a section of schedule 40 8" pipe. The ends were grooved to create a mild lip.
View attachment 642483
A close up of the groove. These grooves are used to couple sections of pipe for fire protection sprinkler systems.
View attachment 642484
The fit was good and the groove worked well as a lip. This will be the bottom.
View attachment 642485
The lip end got a tapped hole to secure the lid once all items were placed by loved ones.
View attachment 642486
A shot of the bottom.
View attachment 642487
The lid got a custom made handle to allow us to lower the vessel into the deep hole prior to sealing with concrete.
The little hinge was turned by my son who made it home on bereavement leave.
View attachment 642488
The lid opens wide allowing items under 8" to be placed.
View attachment 642489
Lastly, the interior got a gloss brilliant white coat of enamel paint keeping it pure.
View attachment 642492
The exterior got her favorite color of Navy Blue.
View attachment 642491
My MIL resting between her two sons as per her wishes. I also set the headstone for the family.
A second pour created a pedestal under the base of the headstone once the initial pour cured some.
View attachment 642493
I wasn't sure this should be shared, but the vessel was a shop creation that was built with prayer and dignity to my best ability. I miss my "mom", she always treated me with love and respect.
Peace.
Condolences on your loss. I know she would be proud of the craftsmanship you put into making her final wishes come true
(y)

#322 · (Edited)
Thank you brother. It’s coming up on 3 years since her passing but we still miss her.
The vessel idea came in my sleep to be honest.
Happy Friday to you!

Reactions: OkDually
#324 ·
After a short break I repaired the Acra Milling machine for delivery to Fallbrook Ca.
I had decided to use the dump trailer for this as it has sides and the footprint of the mill is relatively small.
The dump trailer had four D-ring tie downs at each corner but I wanted a couple of more anchor points. I welded two more in the middle at each side.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Grey Style Automotive exterior

Inside middle of trailer. I trimmed the base plates down a bit to keep them matching with the originals.
Automotive lighting Wood Sky Flash photography Rectangle

The mill was wrapped in several layers of shrink wrap in the event of rain. Some angle clips and 3.5" screws made for a nice anchoring system along with 2X4 cribbing. The wood extended to each sides of the trailer locking it from side to side and front to back. I remember back in 08 while driving back from Riverside on a redeye. I was hauling the plate roller in the rain doing the speed limit in the far right lane and hitting the brakes hard (numerous times) as rude drivers would swing in front of me last minute to take and exit. I took all precautions to ensure my friends mill would arrive unscathed.

The rolling base sits just off the wheels.
Road surface Asphalt Mode of transport Naval architecture Track

The load over the axels.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Truck Automotive tire

The seat time numbers.
Speedometer Car Gauge Automotive design Tachometer

The milage.
Speedometer Car Gauge Automotive design Tachometer

Fuel consumption. I remember this particular trip the head wind heading up was brutal effecting my milage.
Speedometer Odometer Gauge Trip computer Tachometer

It was also unusually hot as well effecting the rig. Shortly after this trip I ordered the aFe turbo mouth piece to go with the aFe air intake. Same as the last redeye, I was scheduled to work a 24 shift the following day.

#325 ·
I ended up with several remnant pieces of the composite 2x4 boards used on the planters. I had been thinking of a cool way to help take the load off my back and shoulders when changing chucks on the lathe. After three shoulder surgeries, I need to find ways to preserve my body so I can keep on keeping on.

I began by truing up the composite boards. I used a Fly cutter to take any high areas down.
Milling Machine tool Wood Gas Engineering

All four sides were trued up. Here they are done in pairs ensuring exact dimensions.
Blue Milling Jig grinder Drilling Drill presses

I used a wood routing bit to create the V's to match the lathes bed ways. They are differant depths.
Wood Rectangle Gas Machine tool Machine

A quick check shows promise.
Shipping box Wood Gas Machine tool Machine

Milling some steps. I'm working off from a mental picture here and designing as I go.
Automotive tire Gas Machine Composite material Engineering

Getting close.
Engineering Gas Machine Machine tool Metal

Drilling the spacer holes and counter boring the ends for a flush faster. The composite machines really nice and the swarf is harmless. :)
Blue Automotive tire Road surface Wood Asphalt

The spacers were turned from 1/2" aluminum round bar and drilled and tapped at both ends.
Office equipment Machine tool Engineering Wood Gas

A nice fit and glides nicely along the bed ways.
Wood Machine tool Gas Engineering Machine

Now to figure out how to mill the large radius for a saddle. I came up with a carbide cutter mounted sideways in a boring head. The RPM's were set to 200 and I advanced the cut slowly. I was able to take the cut fully assembled and supported only at the base. There were enough spacers to make this rigid for this operation.
Wood Drilling Engineering Gas Machine

More to come...

#327 ·
I ended up with several remnant pieces of the composite 2x4 boards used on the planters. I had been thinking of a cool way to help take the load off my back and shoulders when changing chucks on the lathe. After three shoulder surgeries, I need to find ways to preserve my body so I can keep on keeping on.

I began by truing up the composite boards. I used a Fly cutter to take any high areas down.
View attachment 642520
All four sides were trued up. Here they are done in pairs ensuring exact dimensions.
View attachment 642521
I used a wood routing bit to create the V's to match the lathes bed ways. They are differant depths.
View attachment 642522
A quick check shows promise.
View attachment 642523
Milling some steps. I'm working off from a mental picture here and designing as I go.
View attachment 642524
Getting close.
View attachment 642525
Drilling the spacer holes and counter boring the ends for a flush faster. The composite machines really nice and the swarf is harmless. :)
View attachment 642526
The spacers were turned from 1/2" aluminum round bar and drilled and tapped at both ends.
View attachment 642527
A nice fit and glides nicely along the bed ways.
View attachment 642528
Now to figure out how to mill the large radius for a saddle. I came up with a carbide cutter mounted sideways in a boring head. The RPM's were set to 200 and I advanced the cut slowly. I was able to take the cut fully assembled and supported only at the base. There were enough spacers to make this rigid for this operation.
View attachment 642529
More to come...
Paco
As the old saying goes " Necessity is the mother of invention" many a project has come about., usually with no plans or drawings. Seems we get an idea, think about it a while, start looking in the scrap bin for material, and design and build as we go. Sometimes things turn out great, other times well we found out what didn't work.
It's nice you can run your your mill both directions to use the carbide cutters you have.
Those will be some nice shop aids .
Keep on keeping on
L8R

#326 ·
The jig was rotated for milling the ends flush. A shell cutter was used for this.
Wood Asphalt Gas Automotive tire Machine

It was time to see if all my math was done correctly.
It slides under very nicely.
Machine tool Engineering Gas Machine Automotive design

After loosening the six cam locks the entire assembly slides out without issue.
Automotive tire Machine tool Rim Gas Automotive design

This is exciting to me, knowing the heavy chuck will no longer be supported by hand while lining up all six pins and indexing to the master mark.
Product Machine tool Camera lens Engineering Cameras & optics

A different angle.
Motor vehicle Machine tool Engineering Toolroom Gas

Look at the amount of matirial removed.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Engineering Gas

A video after final clean up. The 70 plus pound chuck glides with one hand back and forth. The composite is a perfect match to protect the ways. The chuck now lives on the saddle/cradle when not mounted. I need to design one for the 3-jaw and the even heavier 4-jaw independent. The Bison is my go to chuck and the most expensive so it took priority.
watch
Thanks for following along.
Turn and bBurn!

#331 ·
Thanks man, I learned a lot in the USAF about electronics but the real design on the machines automation features were from a dear friend. I just implemented his design. I must give credit we’re credit is due.
Glad you find some posts worth reading. I sure get excited over most things I come across in the shop.
I think if fab and machining wasn’t popular to many, I’d be a “metal nerd”🤣.
Happy Sunday!

#332 · (Edited)
Another exciting chuck purchase to share.
A 5C collet speed chuck by Atlas. This was a brand new chuck complete with the correct D1-6 adaptor plate offered by a seller on Ebay. The seller was not an individual rather a company. I had been keeping an eye on this for a week or so when I simply made an offer. The same exact chuck can be found on the web for $1800 all day long. I made the seller an offer of $1200 clams. They accepted and the deal was done! Used beat-up 5C chucks on bay go for $600-900 and you never know what you get until you test.
The biggest takeaway here for any home machinist is this: If you can't afford a higher quality machine (lathe or mill) at least buy quality tool holding and part holding items. That Chinese lathe I ran for 17 years was purchased new for $5K back in 2001. The machine turned out very good parts for me over the years. The tooling purchased over the years for that same lathe is what made the difference in precision parts.
With the new Taiwanese lathe the quality is second to none IMO but the tooling must also be of high quality otherwise don't spend (waste) the money.
Like the Bison combination chuck and all the cutters and holders I own for the lathe are top notch. Same thing applies to the metrology tools I have collected over the years. Horrible Freight is not recommended for machining tooling.
As the quality QCTP and holders, I purchased them preowned but they came from a toolroom environment meaning they were gently used. This information is my .02 and I truly consider myself an apprentice compared to a full-time machinist.

First let me explain the advantage of a 5C collet system and the speed chuck.
The collet system allows for gripping smaller diameter stock. I have a set of 65 collets with the largest to hold 1-1/8" diameter.
1) They come in very handy for close in work without the danger of contacting a rotating jaw.
2) They provide excellent repeatability when removing and reinserting a work piece.
3) They allow for production of smaller pieces much safer and quicker than any jawed chuck.
The speed chuck is just that. No tools required to loosen or tighten the stock.

First order of business is to remover the adaptor plate for inspection. All pins and threaded holes cleaned and checked for any burrs from machining. If I do find a burr, I'll remove it by honing. This particular chuck was clean from the start.
After cleaning the threads the pins require a dab of ant-seize. They also require the depth set for the cam locks to engage with in certain marks indicated at the spindle.
Tool Automotive tire Gas Machine Metal

With the pins set the adaptor plate is ready for mounting.
Automotive tire Gas Machine Auto part Rim

After mounting the adaptor plate is checked for TIR.

Taking a skim cut.
Automotive tire Machine tool Automotive wheel system Rim Engineering

Checking TIR post register cut.

A "Master punch" indexes the chuck to the spindle every time it's mounter for work.
Automotive tire Camera lens Motor vehicle Gas Fixture

The speed chuck itself has four adjustment screws for truing called "set true" These will true the chuck to the already cut adaptor plate.
Notice the four Allen heads on the Atlas's face.
Automotive tire Vehicle brake Locking hubs Engineering Gas

The Starrett dial indicator setup checking TIR at the taper.
Automotive lighting Automotive design Audio equipment Gauge Engineering

Here you can see the rapid use of the chuck.

Thanks for viewing.

#333 ·
Mothers day has been tough on my wife since loosing her mom in 2018.
Today was no different except she got a surprise to help cheer her up a little.
First let me share a photo of out late Phalanx and Gladius. This photo was taken back in 2010 when both were in their prime. (from left, Gladius, Phalanx)
Dog German shepherd dog Dog breed Sky Plant

Todays gift is a watercolor of them both in their prime as well. Captured by a talented artist and mother of a former coworker.
Phalanx 12/28/2007-04/13/2021 & Gladius 07/16/2009- 03/15/2021
Dog Dog breed Carnivore German shepherd dog Fawn

My wife's tears are from joy for a while anyway.

#334 ·
Paco
Leave it up to you. While all the rest of us treated our wives with maybe flowers, a nice dinner out somewhere and a nice card, you sir completely out classed all of us.
Awesome job finding an artist to do such a great painting rendition of the lost two furry kids in such a short time.
Paco you da man 👍

#336 · (Edited)
A little out of order but wanted to share a home brew setup tool.
It started with a 1" x 1" aluminum square bar from the scrap pile.
On the mill getting profiled.
Machine tool Engineering Gas Milling Machine

A right and left match so it can be used in parallel or perpendicular to the lathe's chuck.
Rectangle Gas Machine tool Audio equipment Electronic instrument

Ready for the dial indicator. This instrument has a resolution of 0.0001". The threaded holes secure the dial in place.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Grille Hood

Rotated.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exterior

Mounted.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Yellow Gauge Computer keyboard

The mount.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Comparing the test indicator (0.0005") to the dial indicator (0.0001"). The new tool will have a dedicated tool holder that pops in like a cutting tool on the QCTP. Those little T's are dialing in the stock. The indicator is set up parallel to the work piece checking TIR.
Motor vehicle Machine tool Engineering Gas Machine

The dial is swapped and mounted to check perpendicular run out.
Scientific instrument Gas Electrical wiring Machine tool Engineering

The start of a new lathe project.
Machine tool Cylinder Gas Engineering Machine

Single point threading.
Sewing machine Household appliance accessory Wood Creative arts Gas

More to follow...

#337 · (Edited)
The project I started is a custom top nut for the QCTP. This will eliminate the use of a large 1-1/16" socket and breaker bar when changing cutter angle. The second little improvement was eliminating a carriage lock bolt with a custom made hand lock.
The large nut was turned on the lathe then the hexagon was milled followed by a tapped hole for the handle I previously made.
The aluminum knob.
Machine tool Gas Engineering Machine Cylinder

The three components that make the quick adjusting tool angle.
Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Grille Automotive exterior

Assembles and ready for application.
Product Automotive tire Tire Gesture Yellow

This is how the tool angle used to be adjusted. It required using a breaker bar and socket.
Machine tool Engineering Gas Machine Toolroom

Now the lever is kept mounted and indexes out of the way when tight. The angle matches pretty close to the QCTP lever.
Engineering Gas Machine Machine tool Metal

The second project was made from tool steel.
Naval architecture Motor vehicle Engineering Gas Machine

After profiling and threading the piece will be held in a 5C collet block for drilling and threading.
Cylinder Engineering Gas Machine tool Auto part

The collet blocks work well for this type of part holding. Here the hole is being tapped. The tool in the chuck is a spring loaded center that keeps the tapping operation square.
Jig grinder Milling Drill presses Drilling Machine tool

The finished parts. Those are metric threads that had to mach the lathes carriage.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Bumper Automotive tire

Ready for application.
Hood Bumper Motor vehicle Office equipment Automotive exterior

Reactions: OkDually
#338 · (Edited)
No longer is a 8mm Allen wrench required to lock the carriage. Simply turn the lever to lock it down for parting operations etc. The cap screw you see is what this lever replaced.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Auto part

It's always satisfying to make your own tools and upgrades.
Turn and Burn!

#339 ·
Made a custom console bracket to supper a gun lock box for a Dakota pick up.
The console was brought to me removed from the rig so that made it easier for design.
The bottom profile of said console.
Light Rectangle Wood Font Material property

The lock box.

A good fit.
Office equipment Vehicle Gas Automotive exterior Machine

Looking down inside the opened lock box expose the fasteners.
Wood Flooring Floor Tints and shades Audio equipment

Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper Automotive tire Office equipment

The bottom of the base (upside down). The spacers allow for the base to sit flat at the bottom of the console.
Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Auto part

Here you can see the two welded studs that protrude through the "cover plate" and into the lock box. These will only be accessible with the lock box open.
Wood Grey Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

Right side up and ready to be test installed.
Diagonal pliers Pliers Wood Hand tool Automotive design

Everything fit nicely. A second blank peice matching the base sheet with only two holes allowing the two welded studs to pass will hide the four corner fasteners after installing the lock box.
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

This will only keep honest people honest as the entire console is made of plastic and could be ripped out.
Luggage and bags Rectangle Wood Bag Bumper

Done.

#340 ·
Made a custom console bracket to supper a gun lock box for a Dakota pick up.
The console was brought to me removed from the rig so that made it easier for design.
The bottom profile of said console.
View attachment 642613
The lock box.

A good fit.
View attachment 642615
Looking down inside the opened lock box expose the fasteners.
View attachment 642617

View attachment 642618
The bottom of the base (upside down). The spacers allow for the base to sit flat at the bottom of the console.
View attachment 642620
Here you can see the two welded studs that protrude through the "cover plate" and into the lock box. These will only be accessible with the lock box

Paco
With all the new technology available for use today the old CAD system is still great. Cardboard Aid Design works great. 👍
L8R

#341 ·
The new 1640 lathes tailstock uses a 4MT taper while the older 1440 uses a 3MT. I could run 3MT to 4MT adaptors but I wanted a direct fit to reduce any too much sticking out.
I purchased a new Live center with a 4MT and a gently used Rohm reduced nose live center in the same 4MT taper.
The problem with both live centers is there is no tang at the end of the taper that allows for ejection when the spindle is cranked in.
The 5C speed chuck works great for true diameter stock such as tool steel.
A piece of 1" tool steel is turned to diameter.
Automotive tire Cylinder Line Gas Machine

Single point threading to match the thread pitch of the new live centers end.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system Cylinder

The new live center threads in so now I can change the collet and flip the piece to turn the tang.
Light Automotive exhaust Machine tool Bumper Cylinder

The tang end is ready for milling.
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Machine tool Engineering

Milling the tang using a face mill with inserts. The same 5C collet us used in a collet block.
Blue Milling Machine tool Wood Gas

Flip the collet block 180º and rinse and repeat.
Blue Combat vehicle Motor vehicle Self-propelled artillery Gas

Running a custom grind end mill to create a lite chamfer to match the chafer from the one produced on the lathe.
Wood Gas Machine tool Composite material Machine

The finished tang. The screw plug was replaced by the new tang.
Hand tool Motor vehicle Tool Metalworking hand tool Bicycle part
Hand tool Motor vehicle Tool Metalworking hand tool Bicycle part

A good fit.
Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive tire Material property

Here's a video:

#342 ·
The Rohm live center is made in Germany and has a smaller nose profile for smaller work. I found this on Ebay for a good fair price but it also needed a tang. This tang was easier since no threads were required. Only an interference fit was required.
The tang is ready for pressing in.
Motor vehicle Font Yellow Bicycle part Material property

The press set up.
Light Black Bumper Electronic instrument Line

A nice addition. It works great and ejects the live center as needed.
Table Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Bumper

Another idea I was playing with is making a QCTP tool holder for some 20 holders I use. The same remnant composite boards were milled.

The dovetail cutter likes the plastic material. The right spindle speed and feed are required to prevent melting of the stock used.
Agriculture Machine Field Landscape Grass

A little tight. I have some holders made by Aloris, Dorian, and Armstrong so they differ slightly in tolerance.
Wood Motor vehicle Gas Automotive tire Machine

The final pass did the trick. All tool holders slid fine.
Bumper Bicycle part Hood Finger Automotive tire

The tool rack is on hold for now but the idea is alive.

#343 ·
One of the heater connection on the 1500 began to drip. I attempted to insert the release tool but it would not budge.
Paranoid with messing up a shoulder (again), I decided to try a different approach and keep my arms closer to my body.
I milled a piece of flat strap to welded to to a 5/16" round bar with a bent section to create a handle.
Gas Machine tool Auto part Machine Automotive wheel system

Ready for welding. By notching the flat strap for the handle, It allows a weld on both sides making a stronger joint.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wood Rectangle

The set up.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Asphalt Bumper Wood

Ready to try out.
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood

I replaced both connectors. The tool did provide better pulling (straight) and I was able to keep from straining my shoulders.
Hood Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Bumper

Quick and simple.

#344 · (Edited)
I had a field job coming up that would require some field welding.
I pulled the Miller Bobcat 225 out of storage after some 15+ years. I "pickle" the cylinders prior to storage and drain the fuel.
I had to get creative using a chain com-along to raise the machine enough to slide in a pallet jack.
Wood Electrical wiring Shelving Gas Machine

With the skins off and blown clean, I pulled the plugs and gave the cylinders a squirt of Marvel Mystery oil an let sit for 20 or so minutes. With the plugs still removed I put power to the starter and cycled the engine several times.
Motor vehicle Engineering Gas Automotive design Auto part

The skins will also get washed, waxed and possibly some rubbing compound.
Gas Electric blue Machine Concrete Electrical wiring

After gapping some fresh plugs and fresh supreme unleaded the 16 hp engine fired right up. I ran her for a solid ten minuets at idle before draining the oil and changing out the filter..
Liquid Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Fluid

I ran the machine to inspect the commutator rings and brushes. I noticed a slight arc between the two.
Here's a video. Hard to see but slight arcing can be seen.

Using a commutator conditioning stick I carefully used the corse side first (#1) followed by side #2 with the finer stone. You can se slight tarnishing on the copper rings.
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

Followed up with the #2 end of the conditioning tool. Notice the first ring is cleaner.
Automotive tire Light Steering part Motor vehicle Steering wheel

This video is taken after the commutator conditioning. Zero arcing visible.

The two rings reconditioned to line new.
Automotive tire Wood Wheel Steering wheel Steering part

A test weld was performed to check a loaded condition and the machine ran smooth and stable.
The Miller is now ready for service again. She's a 1992 model with under 140 hours but has worked hard for me in the past. This machine saw a fair amount of air-arc cutting and hard facing on one particular scraper back in the day. The 8800 watt continuous generator also comes in handy.

#345 ·
😀
I had a field job coming up that would require some field welding.
I pulled the Miller Bobcat 225 out of storage after some 15+ years. I try to "pickle" the cylinders prior to storage and drain the fuel.
I had to get creative using a chain com-along to raise the machine enough to slide in a pallet jack.
View attachment 642673
With the skins off and blown clean, I pulled the plugs and gave the cylinders a squirt of Marvel Mystery oil an let sit for 20 or so minutes. With the plugs still removed I put power to the starter and cycled the engine several times.
View attachment 642679
The skins will also get washed, waxed and possibly some rubbing compound.
View attachment 642678
After gapping some fresh plugs and fresh supreme unleaded the 16 hp engine fired right up. I ran her for a solid ten minuets at idol before draining the oil and changing out the filter..
View attachment 642676
I ran the machine to inspect the commutator rings and brushes. I noticed a slight arc between the two.
Here's a video. Hard to see but slight arcing can be seen.

Using a commutator conditioning stick I carefully used the corse side first (#1) followed by side #2 with the finer stone. You can se slight tarnishing on the copper rings.
View attachment 642674
Followed up with the #2 end of the conditioning tool. Notice the first ring is cleaner.
View attachment 642675
This video is taken after the commutator conditioning. Zero arcing visible.

The two rings reconditioned to line new.
View attachment 642677
A test weld was performed to check a loaded condition and the machine ran smooth and stable.
The Miller is now ready for service again.
Hard to beat those machines. Have one sitting in dads garage , all of 32 hrs on the clock.
Drive on.
Till L8R

#348 · (Edited)
Some first generation Duramax fun. This clean rig is a 2002 chevy 2500HD CCSB with under 100K on the clock.
The owner purchased the rig new. He wanted a little extra power and possibly better MPG's.
The only issues the owner has ever had was a leaking front drivers side out put axel seal and a fuel filter head requiring rebuild due to losing prime.
As you know these early LB7 had issues with injectors but this rig never has.
Back in 2005 after purchasing my rig, I was familiar with the fuel system problems these earlier rigs experienced. Thats when I found the auxiliary fuel filter sold by Lubrication Specialist. I installed one on my truck shortly after buying the rig. I also installed several since, this truck was the second truck I added the same secondary filter on. He's been protected since 2005 and he changes out the filter the same manner I do. He has never had any fuel issues ever. He also travels to Mexico and burns diesel sold there as well so the set up does work.
Back to the project on hand.

He gave me a budget and I went to aFe and burned through it.
His rig will get a Scorcher tuner, stage 2 cold air intake and a 4" turbo back exhaust system.
Shelf Automotive exterior Automotive design Shelving Gas

We started with the exhaust system.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

I like aFe a lot and the few of their exhaust systems I've installed have gone in without drama.
The Port-a-band is a perfect tool foe trimming.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Tip installed.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

The tuner was a simple installation as well. Its located one the drivers side under the hydro boost.
Tire Hood Automotive tire Wheel Vehicle

In order to conceal the wire for the power selector switch, It was mounted upside down. It sits next to the head light and dimer switch. There was no room for the wire on the lower portion of the switch assembly without cutting.
Gas Auto part Family car Personal luxury car Automotive design

The last addition was the air intake.
Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive design Automotive air manifold

Back on the ground and ready to go. The owner is somewhat conservative but I still recommended some gauges to monitor EGT, and boost at least.
Its always good to work on clean rigs.

Attachments

#349 ·
Nice job Paco
Did the owner have PPE silicon collant hoses installed also. ?
Thinking about those for my LBZ, and waiting now for a supplier to get new rotors and pads all the way around,
Drive on ;)
L8R

#350 ·
Always good to have a monitor like an Edge CTS 2 or 3 to watch those injector balance rates and get live data (y)

#351 ·
My tailpipe is that clean. People not in the desert are not used to seeing tailpipes that clean. I was asked at least twice on that road trip back to the midwest if I had a new tailpipe. Nope. Nearly 15 years old.

I love that you built that carport cover for your rig. The Sun has ruined my paint. Never had a garage it would fit in. And it doesn't go unnoticed how you can work on your stuff right now. 98 degrees here yesterday in the shade (I had none) and I was done after a couple hours.