Diesel Place banner
741 - 760 of 808 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #741 ·
Picacho Peak
Two weeks later I hit up Picacho Peak. This volcanic peak is situated between Casa Grande and Tucson. It's one of two westernmost battles recorded durning the Civil war back dating back to April 15, 1862.
The peak can bee seen from the top or the Rincon's some 60-70 miles on a clear day. Picacho is also just off I-10 and is a State Park.
Approaching the Peak at 07:30 am the weather looked perfect.
Sky Plant Mountain Plant community Road surface

On the trail head just before 8 am.
Sky Plant community Mountain Ecoregion Plant

I missed the wild flower blooms by 2 weeks. The sides of the peak turn yellow, orange and purple during the annual wild flower bloom. It's a sight to see.
A shot from the saddle looking to the west.
Sky Plant Plant community Ecoregion Natural landscape

Looking to the SW from the saddle.
Sky Plant Natural landscape Land lot Slope

The climb at this point becomes steep with dangerous exposures.
Bedrock Slope Cross Mountain Groundcover

Many out of town hikers get in trouble at Picacho. They underestimate the weather, climb and fail to carry enough water resulting in several deaths over the years.
The last leg of the climb required the use of a network of cables to prevent slipping and falling.
Sky Mountain Slope Bedrock Highland

The 360º views from the top are amazing. Looking SE. You can see I-10
Sky Cloud Bedrock Terrain Mountain

A short scramble of just under an hour. I summited at 8:57
Sky Landscape Horizon City Plateau

Aside from a good workout the bonus was the sparrows buzzing around at the top.

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #742 ·

·
Premium Member
2007 Chevrolet 3500 Silverado Classic LWB crew cab,dually, Kennedy dual pumps, , Donaldson filters
235 Posts
A humbling experience brother but we all need to be kept in check at times.
Believe I will stay in check at about 1500 feet sea level in my shop. :ROFLMAO:
L8R

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #744 ·
Africanized Bees

With a new roof installed and the gas packs back on I had noticed a small gap between a newly installed scupper and the decorative clay Canelli on the rear porch. I had planned to caulk this small gap but was too slow in acting.
Some scout bees found the gap to be the perfect place for a new swarm to squat. They swarmed while my wife was taking the dogs out for a potty break so I'm thankful they weren't stung.
Knowing how important bees are in the pollination process I gave them two days to move on. The queen had other plans. It became apparent they were here to stay as the third day I cautiously opened the door and before I could step out, one Kamikaze bee hit me on my right upper eyelid. Being allergic to the stings, I dosed up with 50 mg of Benadryl.
My right eye swelled shut like Rocky Balboa after fighting the Russian. Professional bee removal was not an option because they were all booked for over a week. It was on!!! I ordered a bee suit from Amazon and immersed in research on mitigating these aggressive bees. From what I read, these incredible creatures are so efficient that left undisturbed they would begin building combs in under a week. This would mean tearing out stucco and a section of the new roof to access the comb for removal. The first attempt (at night) was to use a shop vac to suck out as many as possible from the entry point. When the process slowed, I used a second hose on the exhaust side of the shop vac. This warm forced air really pissed them off as they swarmed my head and face. They were stinging the vail so fiercely I could smell the venom or pheromones. The next morning I suited up again to disappointment. The buzzing coming from behind the stucco and T-111 panels could be felt let alone herd.

The swarm the first day. That a 10" long clay Canneli completely covered in a beard.
Sky Daytime Property Light Shade

The suit I ordered is nice quality but I still had two layers of clothing underneath. Amazon Prime had this at my door the next day. I purposely ordered it large in the event a friend needs to borrow it later (If they're dumb like me) hahaha!
I went to a DIY pest control and bought a can of Stryker 54, its contact killer that evaporates for the most part. The second purchase was a fine powder of Diatomaceous earth with a mix of Pyrethrum. The idea is to mitigate as many using the contact killer followed by applying the powder for those bees already out. When the returning bees come in contact with the powder, they will tack it into the hive and contaminate and kill the queen. Once this occurs I can pop some boards and vacuum up the dead bees.

This five gallon pail is about a 1/4 full of bead bees. I ended up with about 1/2 a pail full in the end.
Asphalt Road surface Fluid Automotive tire Tar

After 7 days the stragglers moved on indicating the queen was dead. I suited up a final time and pulled back two boards directly behind the scupper to clean out any dead bees and to ensure I got them before they had a chance to build a comb.
Sky Property Ecoregion Wood Beam

I'm sure I saved some unwanted damage as well as some coin taking on this battle myself. I could have prevented killing these creatures had I just acted sooner when I first noticed the gap. Live and learn...

Attachments

·
Administrator
22,306 Posts
Africanized Bees

With a new roof installed and the gas packs back on I had noticed a small gap between a newly installed scupper and the decorative clay Canelli on the rear porch. I had planned to caulk this small gap but was too slow in acting.
Some scout bees found the gap to be the perfect place for a new swarm to squat. They swarmed while my wife was taking the dogs out for a potty break so I'm thankful they weren't stung.
Knowing how important bees are in the pollination process I gave them two days to move on. The queen had other plans. It became apparent they were here to stay as the third day I cautiously opened the door and before I could step out, one Kamikaze bee hit me on my right upper eyelid. Being allergic to the stings, I dosed up with 50 mg of Benadryl.
My right eye swelled shut like Rocky Balboa after fighting the Russian. Professional bee removal was not an option because they were all booked for over a week. It was on!!! I ordered a bee suit from Amazon and immersed in research on mitigating these aggressive bees. From what I read, these incredible creatures are so efficient that left undisturbed they would begin building combs in under a week. This would mean tearing out stucco and a section of the new roof to access the comb for removal. The first attempt (at night) was to use a shop vac to suck out as many as possible from the entry point. When the process slowed, I used a second hose on the exhaust side of the shop vac. This warm forced air really pissed them off as they swarmed my head and face. They were stinging the vail so fiercely I could smell the venom or pheromones. The next morning I suited up again to disappointment. The buzzing coming from behind the stucco and T-111 panels could be felt let alone herd.

The swarm the first day. That a 10" long clay Canneli completely covered in a beard.
View attachment 651103
The suit I ordered is nice quality but I still had two layers of clothing underneath. Amazon Prime had this at my door the next day. I purposely ordered it large in the event a friend needs to borrow it later (If they're dumb like me) hahaha!
I went to a DIY pest control and bought a can of Stryker 54, its contact killer that evaporates for the most part. The second purchase was a fine powder of Diatomaceous earth with a mix of Pyrethrum. The idea is to mitigate as many using the contact killer followed by applying the powder for those bees already out. When the returning bees come in contact with the powder, they will tack it into the hive and contaminate and kill the queen. Once this occurs I can pop some boards and vacuum up the dead bees.

This five gallon pail is about a 1/4 full of bead bees. I ended up with about 1/2 a pail full in the end.
View attachment 651097
After 7 days the stragglers moved on indicating the queen was dead. I suited up a final time and pulled back two boards directly behind the scupper to clean out any dead bees and to ensure I got them before they had a chance to build a comb.
View attachment 651094
I'm sure I saved some unwanted damage as well as some coin taking on this battle myself. I could have prevented killing these creatures had I just acted sooner when I first noticed the gap. Live and learn...
Nice work! (y)

Reactions: firestopper

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #746 ·
Garbage can planter.
A friend gifted me a cutting from a Madagascar palm.
I took a tin garbage can and cut an opening on the lid folding back about 1/2" to crate a seam or hem to eliminate a sharp edge. The rest of the can was painted using spay cans of "Stone Art" paint followed by paint pens to create a SW art theme. The bottom sides was drilled using a 1-1/4" hole to pass a 1" PVC section of pipe through. The pipe was perforated to promote draining in case of excess water from rain.
The first 60% or so was filled with Perlite to keep the weight down followed by Black Gold Cacti potting soil.

The holes at 180º apart allow for the 1" perforated section of PVC to pass. The ends were caulked to secure the pip in place.
Automotive tire Rim Tread Wood Gas

Nothing too artsy but enough to give it character.
Bedrock Trunk Grey Artifact Drinkware

The Perlite keeps the overall weight down as it like a pumice.
Food Aqua Ingredient Cuisine Drink

The Black Gold potting soil.
Road surface Flowerpot Font Asphalt Tints and shades

The lid was fun.
Waste containment Road surface Plant Asphalt Waste container

The Madagascar palm cutting sat out for three weeks before planting. The cut end was coated with cinnamon immediately after cutting to prevent bacteria growth. My buddy who gifted it to me has a degree in horticulture and shared the cinnamon trick, so I share this with you.:)

The cutting looks at home in the new planter.
Plant Automotive tire Flowerpot Yellow Road surface

A week later and she's germinated and spouting leaves.
Plant Botany Terrestrial plant Grass Landscape

I thought I would share this as ceramic pots this size are expensive and heavy. The garbage can pot can be moved using the handles. I might build a few more for my wife.

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #747 ·
Nice work! (y)
I hope someone can learn from this post, these bees are here to stay in North America and are NO JOKE! In order to purchase the products at DIY pest, the fella required my signature (waiver) acknowledging the hazards of dealing with Africanized bees. He suggested several times I use a professional service.
One last tip I should mention. When dealing with bees and they swarm your suit to sting, the stinging bees release an "Alert" pheromone. It's imperative you shower and change Clothes when done. I made the mistake of doffing the suit and working in the shop. Later when I went out front to collect the mail, I passed a blooming Palo Verde tree buzzing with completely different bees. They must have picked up on the pheromones from hours earlier because they began to bombard me by literally hitting my face and head. I ran like hell took a shower changed and collected the mail without further incident. Really amazing insets.

·
Premium Member
2007 Chevrolet 3500 Silverado Classic LWB crew cab,dually, Kennedy dual pumps, , Donaldson filters
235 Posts
Africanized Bees

View attachment 651103

View attachment 651097
View attachment 651094
I know this will work on wasp, I use it every summer. 1 1/2 gallon pump up yard sprayer, filled with soapy dish water.
Wait till there's quite a few in the nest, them soak them good. Be ready to leave in a hurry. Several doses usually get them all.
Works on anything you dont mind getting soapy water on. :D (y)
L8R

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #749 ·
Milwaukee Fuel tools

Over the years I have owned battery powered tools from different manufactures.
Back in the late eighties I purchased my first Makita battery operated drill. Although impressive at the time they soon proved to be worthless after a few months. The battery technology just wasn't there with charging memory issues, long charging times and frankly short runtimes. In the late 90's I gave DeWalt a try with the release of the 1/4" impact driver.
I eventually acquired drills, hammer drills, and said impact driver. Again experienced charging memory issues. At $80 per battery I quickly became disenchanted with battery technology. By 2013 while planning the new shop build, I knew I would be needing a nice drill and impact driver to run self drill/tapping screws. I went to HD to purchase the latest and greatest brushless technology as well as the new and improved lithium battery technology offered by Makita. The fella working the tool department introduced me to Ridgid tools. For $199 I was able to get a drill driver, 1/4" impact driver, two batteries, a POS radio, a charger and a tote bag. The sell came from the lifetime warrantee including the batteries.
I used this tools to erect the entire building without issues. Over 12K #12 screws on the sides alone the tools lived unto the demand. The drill however has a substandard keyless chuck that allows a drill bit to slip resulting in mucking up the drill shank. I used these tool as often as possible and eventually the batteries failed. Ridgid does require registration with proof of purchase within the I believe 90 days. I did all this but when my internet provided quit, I was forced to get a new email address. I could no longer access my old Ridgid account. After several attempts to merge my old account to the new email addres it became clear Ridgid was not gonna make it easy for me to do so. I started researching battery operated tools once more and last week I replaced all my cordless tools with Milwaukee M12 and M18 fuel.
I used HD online and received 10% off after providing a DD214 to ID me. I really thought the 10% would have a cap but no. You can purchase as much as you want with a constant 10% discount applied.
My first purchase was a 1/2" impact kit. It has four preset setting for torquing ,two 5.0 Ah batteries and dual M12/M18 charger and hard case. $404 after discount. This is rated to break up to 1,400 ft/lbs.
The other kit was a 3/8" high speed ratchet that was a "special buy" promotion. It came with a soft zipper case, two M12 batteries and a M12 charger. The "special buy" included a free third battery. From there I began researching tool only special buys. These include a free battery like the M18 1/4' drive surge impact driver with a $119 free battery.
My point is you can save on tools only deals and get free batteries. Back when I was buying DeWalt, I ended up with more chargers than I needed.
All free shipping and under $1200 these are the deals you can find.
Automotive tire White Motor vehicle Product Tire

I had a job coming up that was requiring all fasteners with no welding.
I also got a nice deal on this Packout system for $300 including tax.
Motor vehicle Chair Automotive design Auto part Gas

Each piece is modular and lock onto each other. The bottom has a built in telescoping handle and wheels rated to carry 200 lbs.
Luggage and bags Bag Rectangle Bumper Automotive exterior

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Wheel

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Automotive lighting Automotive design Bumper Motor vehicle Gas

Time will tell but I'm gonna put them to the test.

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #750 · (Edited)
I know this will work on wasp, I use it every summer. 1 1/2 gallon pump up yard sprayer, filled with soapy dish water.
Wait till there's quite a few in the nest, them soak them good. Be ready to leave in a hurry. Several doses usually get them all.
L8R
Yes, we used foam or soapy water to kill aggressive bees on the fire department. The bees have little holes in their bodies in which they breathe oxygen. By adding soap it increases the surfactant or "wetting" them vs creating droplets.
This wetting suffocates them immediately. I didn't want to spray water in between the roofing and plywood.
The contact spray made them come crawling out and dropping to the ground. Soapy water would have been a perfect option when they first arrived creating a beard on the scupper. I was hoping they would have moved on so I didn't do that. Agin, killing them was my last resort.
Good to mention this for others to know though.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Milwaukee Fuel tools

Back in the late eighties I purchased my first Makita battery operated drill. Although impressive at the time they soon proved to be worthless after a few months. The battery technology just wasn't there with charging memory issues, long charging times and frankly short runtimes. In the late 90's I gave DeWalt a try with the release of the 1/4" impact driver.
I eventually acquired drills, hammer drills, and said impact driver. Again experienced charging memory issues. At $80 per battery I quickly became disenchanted with battery technology. By 2013 while planning the new shop build, I knew I would be needing a nice drill and impact driver to run self drill/tapping screws. I went to HD to purchase the latest and greatest brushless technology as well as the new and improved lithium battery technology offered by Makita. The fella working the tool department introduced me to Ridgid tools. For $199 I was able to get a drill driver, 1/4" impact driver, two batteries, a POS radio, a charger and a tote bag. The sell came from the lifetime warrantee including the batteries.
I used this tools to erect the entire building without issues. Over 12K #12 screws on the sides alone the tools lived unto the demand. The drill however has a substandard keyless chuck that allows a drill bit to slip resulting in mucking up the drill shank. I used these tool as often as possible and eventually the batteries failed. Ridgid does require registration with proof of purchase within the I believe 90 days. I did all this but when my internet provided quit, I was forced to get a new email address. I could no longer access my old Ridgid account. After several attempts to merge my old account to the new email addres it became clear Ridgid was not gonna make it easy for me to do so. I started researching battery operated tools once more and last week I replaced all my cordless tools with Milwaukee M12 and M18 fuel.
I used HD online and received 10% off after providing a DD214 to ID me. I really thought the 10% would have a cap but no. You can purchase as much as you want with a constant 10% discount applied.
My first purchase was a 1/2" impact kit. It has four preset setting for torquing ,two 5.0 Ah batteries and dual M12/M18 charger and hard case. $404 after discount. This is rated to break up to 1,400 ft/lbs.
The other kit was a 3/8" high speed ratchet that was a "special buy" promotion. It came with a soft zipper case, two M12 batteries and a M12 charger. The "special buy" included a free third battery. From there I began researching tool only special buys. These include a free battery like the M18 1/4' drive surge impact driver with a $119 free battery.
My point is you can save on tools only deals and get free batteries. Back when I was buying DeWalt, I ended up with more chargers than I needed.
View attachment 651111
View attachment 651116
Each piece is modular and lock onto each other. The bottom has a built in telescoping handle and wheels rated to carry 200 lbs.
View attachment 651112

View attachment 651113

View attachment 651114

View attachment 651115
Milwaukee Fuel tools

View attachment 651111
View attachment 651116
View attachment 651112

View attachment 651113

View attachment 651114

View attachment 651115
Very similar situation, Have purchased the 1/2 drive impact, what a beast ,removes lug nuts from my trucks and trailers very easily. 3 / 8 drive ratchet awesome, 1/ 4 drive screwdriver very handy. 18 volt hedge trimmer, 18 volt pole saw having extra chains made for it. Never used to be Milwaukee fan, things have changed.
L88

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
The Capitulation
Rincon peak has been in my sights for some time. Visible from my back yard I've been thinking of climbing to the summit for several years.
I believe it's the second highest peak in the Rincon Mountains second to Mica mountain. The best way to access Rincon Peak is to drive an hour east to the backside of the Rincon's. The trailhead known as Miller creek gets you within 8 miles of the summit, otherwise it would require over nite hike approaching from the west.

Arrived at the trailhead by 8am for a planned 16 mile round trip. With pleasant temps it looked like a promising hike.
View attachment 651084
The trail head starts at the range's base with an elevation of 4,199' and a summit of 8,163'.
View attachment 651076
The hike started off beautiful with many birds not normally seen in lower areas. As we climbed into the Chaparral biome and left the cacti behind us I saw this Manzanita (little apple) tree with its unique smooth red bark.
View attachment 651078
A shot looking back towards the trailhead. I also had an uneasy feeling as the clouds began roiling high above.
View attachment 651079
As we got closer, the uneasy feeling was overwhelming. It was clear the weather had different plans for us.
View attachment 651077

Within a mile of the summit we encountered this cold white stuff. Not equipped for snow my hands began to feel the burn.
View attachment 651080
We tried to press on but my gut said it was time to capitulate.
View attachment 651081
My core never got cold as we were working pretty hard but that would change if we had to stop. It was time to turn around.
View attachment 651082
The last mile was still 1,600' from the summit with the last 1/2 mile requiring hand over hand.
Too slippery and cold for this desert dweller. Overall the hike came to just under 14 miles and a humbling experience.
A shot of Rincon Peak from the west side.
View attachment 651083
What happened to all the clouds? Crazy Arizona weather.
This hike was done March 21 so two months ago.
The Capitulation
Rincon peak has been in my sights for some time. Visible from my back yard I've been thinking of climbing to the summit for several years.
I believe it's the second highest peak in the Rincon Mountains second to Mica mountain. The best way to access Rincon Peak is to drive an hour east to the backside of the Rincon's. The trailhead known as Miller creek gets you within 8 miles of the summit, otherwise it would require over nite hike approaching from the west.

Arrived at the trailhead by 8am for a planned 16 mile round trip. With pleasant temps it looked like a promising hike.
View attachment 651084
The trail head starts at the range's base with an elevation of 4,199' and a summit of 8,163'.
View attachment 651076
The hike started off beautiful with many birds not normally seen in lower areas. As we climbed into the Chaparral biome and left the cacti behind us I saw this Manzanita (little apple) tree with its unique smooth red bark.
View attachment 651078
A shot looking back towards the trailhead. I also had an uneasy feeling as the clouds began roiling high above.
View attachment 651079
As we got closer, the uneasy feeling was overwhelming. It was clear the weather had different plans for us.
View attachment 651077

Within a mile of the summit we encountered this cold white stuff. Not equipped for snow my hands began to feel the burn.
View attachment 651080
We tried to press on but my gut said it was time to capitulate.
View attachment 651081
My core never got cold as we were working pretty hard but that would change if we had to stop. It was time to turn around.
View attachment 651082
The last mile was still 1,600' from the summit with the last 1/2 mile requiring hand over hand.
Too slippery and cold for this desert dweller. Overall the hike came to just under 14 miles and a humbling experience.
A shot of Rincon Peak from the west side.
View attachment 651083
What happened to all the clouds? Crazy Arizona weather.
This hike was done March 21 so two months ago.
Milwaukee Fuel tools

View attachment 651111
View attachment 651116
View attachment 651112

View attachment 651113

View attachment 651114

View attachment 651115
Oh oh, you're going to get somebody in trouble (tool shopping). 🤣 Nice score!

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Oh oh, you're going to get somebody in trouble (tool shopping). 🤣 Nice score!
Will have to remember the DD 214 from now on. Thanks (y) :)

L8R

Reactions: firestopper

·
Administrator
22,306 Posts
L8R
That soapy water trick works well. I use it to rid Web Worms every Summer that land on our Apple Trees (y)

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
That soapy water trick works well. I use it to rid Web Worms every Summer that land on our Apple Trees (y)
Will have to remember that.
Have a good day Dually
L8R

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #756 ·
Pet Enclosure
I had a client contact me about an enclosure to a doggie potty area. The dogs have a doggie door that access a small fenced in area. The problem is there's a bobcat prowling the neighborhood that uses the roofs to access yards.
This is the job I mention were no hot work can be done. The owner wants the ability to remove the enclosure without major modifications.
I spent a few minutes studying a possible design. Measured the rise (roofs eve) and run distance to fence and came up with 14º angle for the fence brackets. The plan was for everything to be built in the shop and screw together in the field.

Using the bandsaw I cut some 12" wide material into 4" x 6-1/2" strips.
Wood Bumper Composite material Rectangle Machine tool

The brackets were drilled and some holes counter sunk. The idea is for the HD wood screws to be perpendicular to each other for a strong support bracket. After the holes were drilled the brackets were broken on the apron break to 90º.
Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design Line Automotive exterior

The outside shows the counter sunk holes.
Blue Automotive tire Wood Bumper Line

The span was 19'-4" so five panels were designed. Four being 49" wide X 101-1/2". The first panel that spans over the HVAC unit measured 36-1/2". Installing was a challenge over this area since I couldn't use a A frame ladder properly.
The narrow panel help some.
Each panel began with mitered corners.
Automotive design Engineering Gas Motor vehicle Machine

Rinse and repeat until all five were done. The expanded metal sheet used measured 48'X 110" because of the span.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

The last panel built was narrower.
Automotive tire Building Motor vehicle Asphalt Automotive exterior

Took the packout set up with all the goods. I used the M18 surge fuel 1/4" impact to drive in the #12 screws.
The farthest panel seen is over a ground mount HVAC unit hidden by the dogeared slat fence. Making this narrower really made it easier to support the panel while securing it overhead.
Sky Plant Brickwork Road surface Brick

The fence support brackets have a right and left while the middle four support two panels. these have 14º angled end plates with predrilled holes to catch each panels frames. The bottom section has a 1" angle iron that nest to the horizontal fence rail secured with #12 screws.
Sky Plant Botany Canopy walkway Vegetation

The eve brackets also have a right and left end bracket while the other four support two panels. The two visible screws have the counter sunk holes. The other two holes are directly above those perpendicular into the eve so plenty strong.
The other two predrilled holes are used with #12 self drill/tapping screws into the frames
Shade Mesh Wood Rectangle Symmetry

The install took 3 hours with no issues. A bug spayer will be used to spay a mixture of peroxide,vinigar and salt
to promote a rust finish matching the fence.
Plant Mesh Shade Wire fencing Rectangle

Thanks for stopping in.

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #757 ·
P0753 1-2mshift solenoid "A" fault

I used the Silverado 1500 to install the enclosure because the gated community neighborhood has very narrow streets and using a 20' 14,000 trailer and 2500 truck would have been overkill and blocking driveways is not good for relationships. :oops:
Well the Silverado service engine soon light came on. I hooked the Snap-on scanner and cleared the P0753 code only to have it immidialaty return. I went into transmission live data and took there rig for a drive. Freeze frame review showed 1-2 shift error and well as 1-2 short to volts.

Font Gas Technology Display device Multimedia

Gotta love Rock Auto and eBay. I was able to purchase two new AC delco shift solenoids for both 1-2 "A" and 2-3 "B" (same part) and a AC delco deep pan internal filter and pan gasket for under $60 delivered from RA. The Ebay purchase was two one gallon jugs of AC delco Dextrin VI for $62 delivered. It good practice to replace both shift solenoids when one goes bad. It cost too much to dump the fluid is the second solenoid was to fail a short time later.

With the deep 16 bolt pan pulled and the two solenoids removed, I was able to check resistance. The 1-2 "A" circuit solenoid came back with 4.5 Ohms. Clearly bad since the range should be 20-30 Ohms. The old "B" solenoid was good at 23.3 Ohms as was there two new replacements.
Circuit component Passive circuit component Electronic instrument Hardware programmer Electrical wiring

The new solenoids installed.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting

Followed by a new deep pan filter.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Gas

A small thin layer of RTV was used to secure the new pan gasket to the pan. The shift cable bracket was bent slightly outward. The passengers side heat shield was removed (2-10mm bolts) and the exhaust system was left alone allowing the pan to be removed. Removing the exhaust is not necessary.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Light Automotive design Automotive exterior

While the rig was in the air I replaced the two front 21 year old bump stops using Moog parts from a previous RA purchase.
Food Product Tableware Cuisine Shelving

These are held in with tabs so a pry bar is used to work them in or out.
Tip: use some sort of teflon or silicone spray to help insert the new bump stops.
I used the same stuff used on garage door rollers.
Product Fluid Drink Automotive tire Cylinder

They fit well.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Bumper

I used the new Milwaukee 3/8" ratchet, small 3/8"impact (to remove drain plug) and 1/2" impact to remove and reinstall the wheels. The 1/2" impact has four presets for torquing. I set it to #2 and checked the torque using a 1/2" torque wrench. All six lugs were torqued to 135-138ft/lbs. I torque my wheels to 140 ft/lbs. so #2 setting is perfect.
Another neat feature is when the the torque breaks free, the RPM automatically drop to 700. Same thing when torquing.
The RPM are 700 until the tool feels resistance then it goes full RPM. I'ts nice not having to manage an air hose.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Locking hubs

The post repair test drive scanner report. All is normal again.
Font Display device Gas Electronic device Multimedia

Thanks for looking.

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #758 ·
AIR Compressor service

Another eBay buy.
Tire Automotive tire Table Gas Tin

I installed an hour meter on the Compressor, Lathe and plate roller. I still need to install on on the Iron worker.
These meters are nice to track maintenance. The compressor in this case got a new air filter and crank case flush followed by fresh oil. A piece of tape is used to log time and date. It's easy to loose track of time on equipment when your busy. This helps me preserve my machines.
Blue Automotive tire Fluid Motor vehicle Line

The Honeywell meter was installed last service cycle.
Product Wheel Engineering Gas Machine

You can find quality meters on line for $20-35.
Have a great Sunday!

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
You da man
Good job (y) :D

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #760 ·
Very similar situation, Have purchased the 1/2 drive impact, what a beast ,removes lug nuts from my trucks and trailers very easily. 3 / 8 drive ratchet awesome, 1/ 4 drive screwdriver very handy. 18 volt hedge trimmer, 18 volt pole saw having extra chains made for it. Never used to be Milwaukee fan, things have changed.
L88
Reading your feedback reinforces my purchase decision. Glad you like them.
I have a deep cut portaband, a 90º 1/2' high torque drill, and sawzall all corded but Milwaukee, Had them for years now.
The battery tools have been a sore subject for me in the past.
I also purchased a M18 air compressor, This this is cool as hell. It has four PSI presets and shuts off automatically.
I checked the pressure using a Matco digital gauge and its spot on. Super light and great for traveling.

741 - 760 of 808 Posts