Diesel Place banner
681 - 700 of 738 Posts

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
View attachment 648058
Can't believe you are not going to fix that. It is almost as off as the leaning power pole.

Great write up as always.
Cool write up, as always.

Something I always thought was kinda funny is that perfectly level means not flat. Like how staying in orbit means constantly falling. lol

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #683 ·
Paco:)
I hope you know I am giving you a hard time, and mean no disrespect when I say. " Not bad for a Mexican Rookie "
Nice job, good attention to details, and great workmanship. Oh yeah having the right tools does tend to make the job easier. (y)

Everyone have a great weekend.!
L8R
Thank you brother 🤣🤣 no offense taken..ever!
Yes, I’ve been a tool/equipment hoarder for a while.

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #684 ·

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #685 ·
Yesterday I installed this nice rear bumper from Chassis Unlimited on a 03 2500 ram 5.9. The fit and finish was extraordinary. Also installed a new OEM hitch. The rig was hit from behind at 40MPH, however no real damage to the frame was noted. The rig had a custom tubular bumper with double swing outs that took the brunt of the damage.
The entire setup was shipped for $2600. Honestly I can't compete with that with the cost of materials these days.
The welds were also very professional, consistent and clean. Chassis Unlimited offers front and rear bumpers for older Dmax rigs as well as late models so that's a win if any of you GM fans are in need.

I'm considering a front winch bumper from these guys in raw finish so I can add some custom features. At this point in my life, time is more valuable to me than the money spent on quality (to a degree). I can focus on custom projects that can only come from a small shop the cares.

Also made a custom bracket for a Switch-Pro system. Added new Baja Designs front fog/flood amber lights.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting

Soldered and heat shrink new circuits.
Automotive tire Hood Tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
'
Nice quality light from Baja Designs. New plastic bezels are on order to clean up the look. The leans light defusers provide both spot and flood.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Grille

The swing out carriers utilize a swing lock (closed/open) and a push button cable system to release.
Tire Automotive tail & brake light Car Wheel Vehicle

The swing out carriers locked open.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Car

The company claims their arms can support up to a 40" tire. From the design I witnessed, I believe this to be true.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive tire

This came with everything needed from all grade 8 cadmium plated hardware to quality LED license plate lights.
Shipped on a custom built pallet with ample protection.
Looks like the new normal is to pick up at the freight hub. A different freight company had the same BS extortion fee for "residential delivery".

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #686 ·
Lastly, I was able to install the air accumulator on the four post Bend-Pak lift.
It worked like a charm!
The blue slide valve can dump air from the system while preventing any air loss from the reservoir when not in use.

Automotive tire Electrical wiring Audio equipment Electronic engineering Gas

My torpedo level doesn't lie!;)
Looks plumb along side the post and power unit. I still need to build the lower support shelf for the hydraulic reservoir.
Fixture Automotive design Cylinder Gas Machine

Now I have some credit for some Matco goodies....
Have a blessed, safe, and productive Thursday brothers.
Turn and Burn!

·
Administrator
21,794 Posts
If that tire carrier would also fold down it could double as a bike carrier or bulk item holder
Nice fit and finish for sure(y)

Reactions: firestopper

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #688 ·
If that tire carrier would also fold down it could double as a bike carrier or bulk item holder
Nice fit and finish for sure(y)
The ample slotted holes could be used for different bolt on features.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Premium Member
2007 Chevrolet 3500 Silverado Classic LWB crew cab,dually, Kennedy dual pumps, , Donaldson filters
198 Posts
Yesterday I installed this nice rear bumper from Chassis Unlimited on a 03 2500 ram 5.9. The fit and finish was extraordinary. Also installed a new OEM hitch. The rig was hit from behind at 40MPH, however no real damage to the frame was noted. The rig had a custom tubular bumper with double swing outs that took the brunt of the damage.
The entire setup was shipped for $2600. Honestly I can't compete with that with the cost of materials these days.
The welds were also very professional, consistent and clean. Chassis Unlimited offers front and rear bumpers for older Dmax rigs as well as late models so that's a win if any of you GM fans are in need.

I'm considering a front winch bumper from these guys in raw finish so I can add some custom features. At this point in my life, time is more valuable to me than the money spent on quality (to a degree). I can focus on custom projects that can only come from a small shop the cares.

Also made a custom bracket for a Switch-Pro system. Added new Baja Designs front fog/flood amber lights.
View attachment 648198
Soldered and heat shrink new circuits.
View attachment 648199 '
Nice quality light from Baja Designs. New plastic bezels are on order to clean up the look. The leans light defusers provide both spot and flood.
View attachment 648200
The swing out carriers utilize a swing lock (closed/open) and a push button cable system to release.
View attachment 648203
The swing out carriers locked open.
View attachment 648204
The company claims their arms can support up to a 40" tire. From the design I witnessed, I believe this to be true.
View attachment 648202
This came with everything needed from all grade 8 cadmium plated hardware to quality LED license plate lights.
Shipped on a custom built pallet with ample protection.
Looks like the new normal is to pick up at the freight hub. A different freight company had the same BS extortion fee for "residential delivery".
OK please enlighten me as to what does the switch pro control.
And being in Arizonia does the snake skin wire loom startle anyone when first opening the hood.
Nice work as always (y)
L8R:)

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #690 ·
OK please enlighten me as to what does the switch pro control.
And being in Arizonia does the snake skin wire loom startle anyone when first opening the hood.
Nice work as always (y)
L8R:)
Pretty neat system, this particular model provides eight switches with only a small harness to pass through the firewall. No relays needed as it’s completely solid state. Pricey though…
Taken from their web sight:
The Switch-Pros SP9100 is a compact, solid state switch panel power system, capable of flowing 125 amps of continuous power. With a total of eight circuits, four rated at 20 amps each and four rated at 35 amps each, you can power all types of 12 volt accessories. The touch panel is weather resistant, and measures only 2”x4”. The panel includes a Bluetooth transmitter, which allows you to program AND operate your system from any wireless device. Programming options include output Dimming, Strobing, Flashing, Master-Slave functions Memory, Auto Power-Up, Momentary, Battery/Ignition input, and a multitude of other options. RGB technology allows you to choose ANY backlighting color you desire. The kit also includes 100 switch legend options, so you can customize the panel to your specific accessory set up The under-hood mounted power module is waterproof, and ideal for all applications. It is COMPLETELY SEALED, and rated to 125 degrees Celsius. It has a 3”x6” footprint and comes with a fused power cable, and both harnesses which communicate with the touch panel. THERE IS NO BULKY RELAY BOX with our kit, as we utilize technology that allows us to control each circuit with a microprocessor. No need to worry about over-current or over-temperature conditions if your system sees a short, or one of these conditions, it shuts down and attempts to reset. No fuse to replace and no worry of fire hazard.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Premium Member
2007 Chevrolet 3500 Silverado Classic LWB crew cab,dually, Kennedy dual pumps, , Donaldson filters
198 Posts
Nice, system.
Thank you
L8R

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #692 ·
A former coworker dabbles in in wood plaques and wanted me to design a way to mount a tail rotor from a military helicopter for a retirement piece he was commissioned to build. He sourced a nice piece of wood and had an American flag theme laser engraved. The rotor blade is basically an air foil shape that would not look or sit correctly flat on the wood surface.
I first considered drilling and installing a threaded outsert or rivet nut but the skin is ultra thin reinforced by a honeycomb composite that would most likely fail. The tail rotor attachment point is a solid alloy so drilling and tapping a 5/16-18 was a good option but the tip required a little study. I came up with a low profile angle bracket with a welded 5/16-18 nut to support a section of all-thread. The bracket was attached to the rotors end plate via a machine screw that secured the rotors end cap.
Some simple calculations based on the thickness of the wood and how much "floating" effect was required to have this blade mount flat on the base wood along with allowances for the washers and nuts to be counterbored on both sides of the wood were done. The last thing I did was chuck up the all-thread on the lathe to turn a point on the business end. This point would help aid in transferring the locations of were to drill the wood. A spade bit would be used to counter bore the holes so that the washers and nuts would sit sub-flush for a clean look. Red lock-tite was used to secure both all threads followed by gloss black paint.
Not visible but there's a nut welded to the bottom side of this angle bracket.
Blue Road surface Wood Asphalt Automotive tire

With the bracket and opposite end all-thread painted.
Wood Yellow Bumper Flooring Gas

The side of the rotor with the recipients name.
World Hood Rectangle Red Naval architecture

Mounted.
Automotive parking light Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle Hood

Incidentally, the wood was sourced from yet another retired firefighter that owns a mill. This particular piece came from the Rodeo-Chediski wild fire that burned on June 18, 2002. The Rodeo Fire was ignited on the Fort Apache Indian Reservation near Cibecue, Arizona. On June 20th, the Chediski Fire was ignited on Chediski Ridge, also on the Fort Apache Indian Reservation. The two fires grew rapidly and merged on June 22nd. By the time the fires were contained on July 7th, the complex had grown to approximately 460,000 acres. Of this acreage, approximately 10,711 acres are on the Pleasant Valley Ranger District of the Tonto National Forest, and 164,440 acres are on the Black Mesa and Lakeside Ranger Districts of the Apache-Sitgreaves National Forests. Almost 8,700 acres of private lands were also burned.

Something different from most project that pass through the Fallout shelter.

·
Administrator
21,794 Posts
Awesome plaque and outstanding workmanship!! (y)

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #694 ·
Thank you sir, I think the former crew chief will like it.
My brother did a nice job with the laser engraving. He said it took 30 hours for the machine to achieve the depth of engraving .😳

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Thank you sir, I think the former crew chief will like it.
My brother did a nice job with the laser engraving. He said it took 30 hours for the machinery achieve the depth of engraving .😳
Only you LIl Brother, only you. (y) (y) :)

• Haha

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #696 ·
Another project on the lift.
1997 Camaro Z/28 pulled out from storage since 2013. I decided to sell her to help finance to overland build. Honestly, I hate driving that car too. The s**ty Tucson roads don't help either. New battery got her cranking but no Fuel pump prime. It was time to push her into the Fallout Shelter.
Since I work alone I had to get creative since the shop's elevation is slightly uphill.
The piggy to the rescue.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

The Great White Hope is the change of direction anchor.
Automotive tire Road surface Tire Asphalt Flooring

And Mayhem is closer to the lift.
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

After troubleshooting the prime relay circuit and supplying power directly to the fuel pump, it was determined said pump was Ka-put.
To pull the fuel tank required first to pull the aft portion of the duel chambered exhaust followed by dropping the rear axel some 10-12", of course there's more required to drop the axel.
Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Automotive lighting

A side peek.
Wheel Tire Aircraft Motor vehicle Vehicle

I did have to capitulate and get a buddy over to help pull the fuel tank. IDK how GM assembled this but the fuel filler tube was epoxied into the tank, so I'm betting the moronic GM engineers designed the assembly process to call for the tube to be led in after the tank was in. We ended up bending the filler neck some 4" giving us just enough clearance to finally pull the tank. After popping open fuel pump assembly it became obvious why the pump was seized. The entire inside of the tank and pump assembly was rusted beyond repair. GM discontinued this fuel tank and all major local auto supply houses didn't have a tank in stock. I sourced one through O'Rielly Automotive made by Precision out of Canada (commercial account) located in Phoenix and they could have it in Tucson the same day. I was able to source a Delphi pump assembly from a local supplier. I knew my hunch about the fuel filler neck being glued in during assembly was correct when researching a new fuel tank. It seems on can buy just the tank, or just there filler tube or both already assembled. I opted to get the one piece soldered together. I figured I could massage the tube some to reinstall the tank.
Hear's a shot of the tub area where the tank lives. No I did not clean the area for the photo. The car has 12K original miles. In fact those gator-back Good-Year tires are original. I'm the second owner and purchased the car from a auction house back in 2010 with 11,250 miles on the clock.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

The new tank had the exact markings as the OEM, however proved to be ever so slightly wider (1/2"). Like the OEM neck, the aftermarket neck had accordion style crimps about 2" from the tank penetration allowing some bending without collapsing or kinking. I won't say it was easy but she went in with minimal bleeding.:rolleyes:
I remember parking the car with 1/8 fuel just prior to starting the Fallout Shelter build. The worst part was the fuel was winter blend sold in AZ from November -March resulting is the mess. Another unrelated problem with the Oxygenated fuel is with the 82 Land Cruiser and yearly emissions testing done in March. That rig can never pass emissions regardless how well she's running so long as that crap is in the fuel tank not to mention the pining I experience with the winter blend. I now have a solution! More on that later...
Prior to powering up the fuel pump the fuel filter was change as was the Dexcool. With a fuel pressure gauge installed, the fuel pump got three full 2 second primes (KOEO) and she roared to life with the open rear portion go the exhaust open and the axel hanging (just in case). She seemed to purr after 8 an 8 year hiatus. BTW, I did crank the engine with the fuel pump connector unplugged to prime the oil system before priming the fuel system.
It took just under 8 hours to remove and replace the tank but again a tight tight fit.
The car reassembled and ready for a test drive.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Hood

The welded sub frame make it fun to corner. To the best of my knowledge this car has never been driven on wet roads.

Wheel Hood Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle

The duel chamber exhaust by GMMG.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Hood

The Camaro came with a F-1 package from Dale Earnhardt Chevrolet in NC were the car was originally purchased. To my knowledge the package included a functioning SS hood, silver stripes, ground effects, and vette wheels with ZR 40's x 4.
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Some interior and engine shots to follow...
The wifes car is on deck for a oil service.

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #697 ·
More on the Z/28.
The LT-4 Corvette power plant.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Automotive exterior Vehicle

The original owner had more "dollars than cents", he spent money on custom carbon fiber panels, custom machined screw caps and chrome.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior

The functioning hood scoop. The signature you see on the drivers side inner fender is Scott Settlemire GM's F-body Godfather himself. I believe he was instrumental in resurrecting the Camaro back into production in 2010. BTW, these are old photos but the same look.
Motor vehicle Hood Light Automotive design Automotive lighting

The 30th anniversary neutral interior. more carbon fiber and billet peddles. The six speed is fun too.

Car Gear shift Vehicle Speedometer Motor vehicle

I'm not crazy over the instrument panel but she came this way. 11,747 on the clock here.
Speedometer Trip computer Odometer Vehicle Tachometer

Door sills also real carbon not the imitation painted to look like.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Grille Bumper

Short throw shifter.
Gear shift Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Steering part

Im hoping to sell her on Bring a Trailer of Hemmings. I need $19k or the wife will bight a chuck off my flat bum.
Like any 24 year old vehicle, she's not perfect but darn close. I better get some fresh tires incase someone wants to test drive her.

·
Administrator
21,794 Posts
Very Clean!! That should bring in more than 19K with today's market frenzy.
(y)

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #699 ·
You guys been watching
Barrett-Jackson today? Crazy stupid
money being spent. 😳

681 - 700 of 738 Posts