661 - 680 of 691 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #661 ·

·
Premium Member
2007 Chevrolet 3500 Silverado Classic LWB crew cab,dually, Kennedy dual pumps, , Donaldson filters
186 Posts
A couple shots I forgot to share of the new tanks fitment.
I can't impress enough how well this tank design is.
The Lowe inboard edge is shaped to accommodate the larger drive line. The top of the tank is channeled for the harness. All cross members share the same clearances.
View attachment 647452
Besides the two tank saddle straps, a new cross member supports the front portion of the tank.
View attachment 647453
Another impressive design accuracy is the accommodation of the fuel cooler. It reminds me of the Ferrari inspired air intake to promote air flow. You can also notice the sump tank design with drain plug (outboard).
View attachment 647454
At this point we also installed two new rear Bilsteins B8 5160 shock with reservoirs to match the new fronts.
View attachment 647455
Drivers side.
View attachment 647456
More later, my furry kids need a long walk...
O K Paco
It's all on you now.
Guys what is the consensus on the Bilstein shocks .?
Thanks guys. :unsure:
L8R

·
Premium Member
2007 Chevrolet 3500 Silverado Classic LWB crew cab,dually, Kennedy dual pumps, , Donaldson filters
186 Posts
O K Paco
It's all on you now.
Guys what is the consensus on the Bilstein shocks .?
Thanks guys. :unsure:
L8R

Hello All
Sure looks like small piston rods on the shocks. What is the rod dia. ?
Thanks. L8R :unsure: (y)

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #664 ·
Hello All
Sure looks like small piston rods on the shocks. What is the rod dia. ?
Thanks. L8R :unsure: (y)
The Bilstein 5100 I replaced use a .500" piston rod diameter. The new B8 5160 utilize a .550".
I believe the new shocks in conjunction with the airbags will be absolutely fine. The rig will creep over rougher terrain.
I wanted the upgraded shocks for faster washboard travel where the pistons would cycle faster resulting in heat build up. The added fluid in the reservoirs would prevent excessive heat. Ive been running the 5100 on the land cruiser and the GMC without any damage to the .500" piston rod.

The higher end shocks use a 7/8"(.875") piston rod but those are designed for jumping. Comparing the piston rods of .550" to the .875" Pro Baja shocks designed for air time is a difference of .325".
I really think I'll be ok.
That said, Im all ears and open to critique.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
The Bilstein 5100 I replaced use a .500" piston rod diameter. The new B8 5160 utilize a .550".
I believe the new shocks in conjunction with the airbags will be absolutely fine. The rig will creep over rougher terrain.
I wanted the upgraded shocks for faster washboard travel where the pistons would cycle faster resulting in heat build up. The added fluid in the reservoirs would prevent excessive heat. Ive been running the 5100 on the land cruiser and the GMC without any damage to the .500" piston rod.

The higher end shocks use a 7/8"(.875") piston rod but those are designed for jumping. Comparing the piston rods of .550" to the .875" Pro Baja shocks designed for air time is a difference of .325".
I really think I'll be ok.
That said, Im all ears and open to critique.
Thanks Paco. Been thinking about new shocks on the Duramax Dually. I know, I know, it is a truck. However will the Bilsteins make it ride better when not pulling trailers. ANYBODY ? (y)

L8R

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #666 · (Edited)
I do have an issue I need to resolve.
When I sent JK my ECM, by his request I included a long list of modifications that could be incorporated into his tune. Things like tire size correction, speed limiter, etc. I also included in the list of mods the new S&B 62 gallon tank (not yet installed at the time). I assumed he could tweak the ECM to correct the Distance to empty. At the time I sent in my ECM, I was on fumes with bothe the gauge reading deep in the red, low fuel light on and message indicating "Low Fuel Level". When I got the ECM back I installed it and the DSP2 switch and took the truck for a test drive with the OEM fuel tank still installed.
I drove it straight to the Fuel station and put in 5 gallons. This shot the gauge up to 1/2 tank. I thought that was odd but figured it was programing changes for the larger tank. Well with 35 gallons of fuel in the new tank, it should read 1/2 +/-.
The gauge reads full so I have a problem. I spoke to S&B today and explained my issue. They do include a fuel sending/pick up unit with all their tanks and he stated they share the same ohm values as OEM sending units. It appears I might have to pull that ECU back out and send it back to JK for correction. I can't have a fuel gauge that's not accurate. I hope those damn cam locks connectors cooperate now that they've been apart recently.
JK locks out any ECM he tunes to protect his proprietary tunes so I'm stuck spending more money for shipping and insurance.
I tried to be as clear as possible but again, crap that's not in my control bites be in the a$$. I'm pretty damn certain its the tweak made to the ECM based on the 5 gallons added causing a 1/2 tank reading on the OEM tank. And for anyone wondering if maybe my gauge was off before, No not possible as I hand calculate every single trip to fuel isle and keep a log book in the rig. All my rigs have a dedicated log book with the exception of my wife's car.

Anybody out there with an S&B 62 please chime in on your gauge accuracy. I sure would appreciate your feedback.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #667 ·
Thanks Paco. Been thinking about new shocks on the Duramax Dually. I know, I know, it is a truck. However will the Bilsteins make it ride better when not pulling trailers. ANYBODY ? (y)

L8R
I've been running those 5100 since late 2005 without a problem. I normally pull decent trailer loads and the ride has been good both pulling or empty. I added the airbags to level the truck when pulling trailers.

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #668 ·
Got the updated ECM back from John Kennedy today.
With 43 known gallons in the tank the fuel gauge read 1.5 tick marks above 3/4 mark.
Gauge Measuring instrument Motor vehicle Gas Font

this meant If I pumped 19 more gallons I would have 62 gallons and a "full" reading on the gauge.
The tank took 18.8 gallons and everything is happy again. The Range reflects 359 miles when full but I'd rather have an accurate fuel gauge. I used Fry's grocery store points to save .60/gallon on the first 35 gallons. Buying a $50 Shell gift card at Fry's also got me double points so the following 18.8 gallons gave me .30/ gallon savings for a total of $196.96 for 62 gallons. Ther's ways around "Lets go Brandon" but I still miss ole mean tweets fuel prices.😂
The rig is running smooth but time will tell if the new tune was worth the $$. I gave up the ability to make some changes like tire size and top speed limiter with Kennedys "Locked tune". I still don't feel any difference with the DSP2 switch grounded. I did verify the switch was grounded in the up position. I used a paper clip to check the #1 pin (added) on the black connector with my meter. No change in boost, fuel pressure or any other PID's on the Insight when comparing the switch grounded or open. The rest of Kennedys stuff is very nice with one exception IMO, I upgraded the silly fuse tap provided with the deluxe harness kit with one that has its own fuse.
The one provided:
Rectangle Metal Fashion accessory Electric blue Font

The type I used has its own dedicated 2 amp fuse (lift pumps) while the 10 amp fuse still protects the ignition circuit. Soldered and heat shrunk to his harness.
Cable Electrical wiring Font Automotive exterior Auto part

Fuel system upgrade is done and happy.

Lastly,
I might have a water pump going but not 100% sure yet. The rig will drip if I start it and shut her off without warming up. The drip looks to be originating from above the engine oil filter housing prolly were the H20 weep hole would be.
If the rig runs to normal operating temp, no drip. No drip either when parked and rig cools down. Gonna have to pressure test the cooling system cold and see were the drip is originating before I commit to a new pump.
I first noticed the drip when I moved the rig to pull the shell off and again when I positioned the rig to pull the bed for the tank job. Today no drip but I let her warm up prior to heading to the fuel isle.

Heading for another hike tomorrow. Hitting up Douglas springs in the Rincon Mountains. It's a 12.1 mile hike that hikers transition through 4 biotic zones (Desert Scrub, Desert Grassland, Chaparral and Oak-Woodland) en route to this popular campground and spring. Ive done this one many times with my old knee so tomorrows another test.
I'll snap some photos to share.

Have a great week fellas and stay safe!
Turn and Burn!

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #669 · (Edited)
Yesterday’s weather was perfect for climbing a hill.
The trailhead is Douglas spring at the base of the Rincon mountains. The ascent was a little challenging with more weight than required but the idea is to keep increasing the load to get back in shape.
Looking back toward the start of the hike. Still in the first biotech with cacti and Saguaros.
Sky Plant Cloud Natural landscape Land lot

Moving into the second biotech of grassland.
Cloud Sky Plant Plant community Natural landscape

More climbing takes you to manzanita, piñon and other vegetation found around higher elevations.
Sky Plant Cloud Natural landscape Slope

With the tree line insight the 1/2 way point was close.
Cloud Plant Sky Atmosphere Mountain

The steepest part of the hike now behind, taking in the sights, sounds and smells made the burn diminish.
Cloud Sky Plant Plant community Mountain

Looking back again at the start. The Old Pueblo looks small. The mountains to the right are the Santa Catalina while the mountains straight ahead are the Tucson mountains. Not showing but to the left would be the Santa Rita mountains. The Santa Rita’s located in the Coronado National Forest has the highest peak in the area. Mt. Wrightson named after a William Wrightson a minor and entrepreneur in the region killed by Apaches in the Battle of Fort Buchanan. The peak is at 9,456’. The last time I visited was in March of 2020 while recovering from a second shoulder surgery. Gonna visit soon but the weather this time of the year can catch you by surprise.
Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape Grass

The destination and lunch break. A small reward of cooked rice with spicy tuna made for a nice light meal. The jet boil stove provides a cup of boiling water in 45 seconds but the rice needs to soak for five minutes giving time to appreciate and dream of future hikes.
Plant community Ecoregion Plant Nature Sky

The descent took 14 minutes longer mostly due to using trekking poles. The new knee was a little tight and the trail had steep drops. In the end the equivalent of floors climbed came to 196 with some 30k steps. A shorter hike compared to the last but 13.83 miles of overall steeper terrain.
Communication Device Portable communications device Mobile device Gadget Font

When I got home, I had a PO waiting in the inbox for a crate of RescuExpress litters.
Hitched up the trailer and loaded the crate for delivery to the fright hub. The first tow on the highway with the new tune. The rig pulled smoothly and a notable decrease in EGT of 250°. The boost was lower than the tune I used to used to run, but I also noticed a slight improvement on fuel burn rate.
More testing is required to call this a win, but so far so good. Finally hit the shower around 8 and the pillow at 10.
Rain in the forecast today so probably tinker some. I have a neat little project in the works and most of the parts are in
Stay tuned…

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Looks like an awesome hike. 2100 calories burned, not sure if tuna and rice would have worked for me. I would have needed a big mac, fries and a chocolate shake.
You'd dig our hike then. 3.6 miles one way, so a 7.2 mile hike round-trip. There's about a 2 hour layover at the midpoint destination. The bar ;-)

Hey, it's a numbers game. We know we're gonna drink those beers either way so the hike to and fro is still good for us. It's sorta like getting a diet coke when you order your big mac and large fries. Sorta the opposite of parking near the gym doors :unsure:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Sounds like my kinda hike. When we go to Custer SD, we hike up to Harney Peak (7244 elevation) with 3.5mile up hill both ways. I prefer to ride the horses up there, wife likes to hike. I make her take me to the Alpine Inn for steak and beer.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Hello All

You guys are way to ambitious. Great that you go the distance you do. Some days I may get in a mile or so. Others days nothing at all. Need to push away from the table sooner, and have been away ( haven't quit) from the alcohol for quite a while. However I still do my part for the team effort during holidays with the pies, cakes, and candies.

Everyone keep on keeping on, and have a great day. (y) :)

L8R

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
I used to do daily hikes alone. Wife went with me once and completely ruined me ever wanting to go alone again. Yea, I'm whipped for that lil girl, my best friend. And the only way to get her to go.... beer on the end of a stick dangled in front of her. Symbolically, of course. I've never been so fat.... or happy ;-)

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #675 ·
Looks like an awesome hike. 2100 calories burned, not sure if tuna and rice would have worked for me. I would have needed a big mac, fries and a chocolate shake.
It was a beautiful day. Yeah, I usually don't eat much when doing physical work. For dinner that night I had a 1/2 can of chicken soup mostly because I ate so late after dropping off at the freight dock.
I sure if McDonalds had a store up there I would have ate me some Frys with a double quarter pounder. 😂
You'd dig our hike then. 3.6 miles one way, so a 7.2 mile hike round-trip. There's about a 2 hour layover at the midpoint destination. The bar ;-)

Hey, it's a numbers game. We know we're gonna drink those beers either way so the hike to and fro is still good for us. It's sorta like getting a diet coke when you order your big mac and large fries. Sorta the opposite of parking near the gym doors :unsure:
Man back when I used to drink, after a hot summer hike, I would hit up a convenient store for a tall boy bud light Clamato Chelada. Those were the bomb!

Sounds like my kinda hike. When we go to Custer SD, we hike up to Harney Peak (7244 elevation) with 3.5mile up hill both ways. I prefer to ride the horses up there, wife likes to hike. I make her take me to the Alpine Inn for steak and beer.
One day soon, I hope to visit and explore the north followed by a juicy steak. No horse for me though! No throttle or brake= I'm out! :LOL:

Hello All

You guys are way to ambitious. Great that you go the distance you do. Some days I may get in a mile or so. Others days nothing at all. Need to push away from the table sooner, and have been away ( haven't quit) from the alcohol for quite a while. However I still do my part for the team effort during holidays with the pies, cakes, and candies.

Everyone keep on keeping on, and have a great day. (y) :)

L8R
Like you brother, I do have a sweet tooth. The wife has to hide all sorts of "diabetes" from me only putting out what she calls "thoughtful portions", otherwise a whole bag is my idea of a thoughtful portion. haha

I used to do daily hikes alone. Wife went with me once and completely ruined me ever wanting to go alone again. Yea, I'm whipped for that lil girl, my best friend. And the only way to get her to go.... beer on the end of a stick dangled in front of her. Symbolically, of course. I've never been so fat.... or happy ;-)
She's a keeper brother!
I take my wife on short 5 mile nature walks. Maybe I should sneak a bottle of vino along to entice her to go more often.
It's always good to connect with nature with the little ladies.

You all have a peaceful and happy New Year!

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
And may a happy and prosperous new year be had by all. :)(y).

L8R

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #677 ·
Pressure vessel aka Accumulator
Almost done with a fun little project.
Some time back I helped install a 16K lb. four post Bend-Pak. This lift requires shop air to actuate the air cylinders at each post to unlock the safety prior to lowing a vehicle.
After installation I was performing an operational check when I had the idea of a self contained air source. I casually mentioned it the owner and he showed interest in the idea.
After researching the air required to cycle the actuators I discovered only 25 psi was needed. I then need to figure out a good volume that would provide ample cycles (unlock) between refills.

I normally don't draw projects out but in this case, I need sketch to have measurements for simple math equation to calculate volume. The 6" diameter was determined by the post size. The length of the pipe was determined by a target volume number I had come up with for adequate cycles between refills.
Handwriting Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern

I sourced a 33" section of 10 gauge pipe designed for fire protection and is Factory Mutual (FM) certified to 300 psi.
Font Road surface Gas Bench Tints and shades

The ends were grooved the same way you would groove for Victaulic Couplings in a industrial sprinkler application.
Drinkware Liquid Water Fluid Tableware

The ends (heads) were hand plasma cut from 1/4" mild steel for a snug weld joint. I also turned four 1/4" NPT threaded bungs to TIG weld in from the inside prior to welding in the heads on.
The 5C collet quick chuck is a great way to hold smaller pieces that require multiple operations.
A 7/16" drill is required for the 1/4" NPT tap.
Engineering Gas Metalworking Machine tool Service

Tapping the last few threads by hand.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Machine tool Vehicle brake Metalworking

The .750" (3/4") round CR was turned down to ..625" (5/8") allowing the the ends to protrude slightly past flush on the inside of the 1/4" thick heads.
Automotive tire Household hardware Gas Automotive wheel system Rim

The idea was to have the top of the bungs flush with the ends of the tank once the heads were welding in.
Automotive tire Tire Household hardware Rim Cylinder

The tip head was covered in Dykem for layout. The bottom head was drilled in the center for a 1/4 turn drain valve.
Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Gas Engineering Machine

Another look prior to drilling to ensure no conflicts of components.
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Bottle Table

Ready for drilling.
Wood Purple Gas Electric blue Flooring

More to follow...

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #678 · (Edited)
The set up on the mill was simple.
Two parallels and a V-block to secure the round shape in a machine vise.
Blue Milling Jig grinder Machine tool Engineering

I failed to get some shots of the TIG welds on the underside but I used 130 amps to weld those bungs in.
You can see the heat effected zone (HAZ) it was done hot. I had to trust there would be no leaks once the heads were welded in. Also notice the even weld joint between the head and the parent pipe.
Tip; The best possible chance of not having a leak is to burn hot focusing the weld puddle right in that joint.
2nd Tip; Always grind you starts and stops on any weld that requires holding pressure. In this case I burned 12 O'clock to 6 (CW) and 12 O'clock to 6 (CCW) after grinding the first.
Eye Gas Circle Rim Auto part

The bottom of the accumulator with a single centered bung a drain application.
Automotive tire Idiophone Rim Wood Gas

The top burned in.
Head Eye Iris Insect Musical instrument

With the bungs and heads welded in you can appreciate the bungs sitting flush to the end of the vessel.
Product Fluid Gas Composite material Drinkware

Initial leak check with soap solution @ 100 psi.
Automotive tire Drink Motor vehicle Rim Gas

Followed by 20 hours of holding the same pressure without drop.
Tire Automotive tire Product Motor vehicle Wheel

With a successful leak check it was time to finish up the mounting bracket then prime and paint the tank.
The bracket will mount to an existing bracket on the lift post. Bend-Pak gives the option to mount the power unit (hydraulic pump) either inside or outside on the master post. Notice the welded seam (on the pipe) was placed towards the rear of the tank that will eventually be mounted to the post will be hidden from view.
The two bungs were used to "two hole" level the tank to the bracket. This method is standard when welding pipe flanges in most systems if not all. Back in the day I welded pipe from 72" down to 1.5" during the Central Arizona Cannel project when I was an employee.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive lighting Vehicle

The bracket matches the bungs.
Green Light Automotive tire Musical instrument Automotive design

More to come...

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #679 · (Edited)
Lastly, the same bracket should be leveled to match the tank in the opposite direction. This will keep the tank parallel to the post when mounted. Aesthetics is equally as important as quality when building anything.

Here you can see the tank sitting on the table is slightly off favoring the left line.
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

Matching the bracket level to match the tank.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Bumper Tire

After burning in the bracket and ready for prime and paint.
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle frame

Another view.
Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Flooring Fender

One of my past posts "Tips" on long term paint storage was to use a noble gas to displace any air (oxygen) prior to closing the lid on a paint can.
Hear's a good example of that. This can was last closed back in 2009 and at 1/3 full, the paint required a quick stirr followed by a slight reduction for spraying with a dash of lacquer thinner.
Automotive tire Fluid Drinkware Drink Font

For you guys that have MIG welders, purging is a simple as unlatching the wire feed roller, inserting the tip of the torch holding the lid over the can of paint while triggering the gas into the can of paint. The inert gas is heavier than air and displaces the atmosphere in the can with the noble gas. Simply put, no oxygen (oxidizer) equals longer shelf life. In this case 12 years. Any paint in the lid groove MUST be cleaned for a proper seal prior to employing this technique or your noble gas will leak out reducing your shelf life.
I have one more TIP for anyone relying on wind...
If you find you're dead in the water (DIW) aboard a sail boat with collapsed sails due to zero wind. The solution is to mix paint for outdoor spaying! Every time I mix paint for spaying the wind starts to blow. It's become a running joke between my neighbor and I. All kidding aside the accumulator's finish turned out pretty good. The flat black will match his power unit.
Sky Cloud Tree Road surface Art

Another angle.
Sky Cloud Cylinder Gas Composite material

Just waiting on a HSV-08 valve, then install the rest of the components followed by mounting the tank to the post.
I try to remember to capture the completed install and perhaps a short video of the system working.
Thanks for following along and have a safe and productive Friday!
Paco

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Lastly, the same bracket should be leveled to match the tank in the opposite direction. This will keep the tank parallel to the post when mounted. Aesthetics is equally as important as quality of building anything.

Here you can see the tank sitting on the table is slightly off favoring the left line.
View attachment 648046
Matching the bracket level to match the tank.
View attachment 648047
After burning in the bracket and ready for prime and paint.
View attachment 648048
Another view.
View attachment 648049
One of my past posts "Tips" on long term paint storage was to use a noble gas to displace any air (oxygen) prior to closing the lid on a paint can.
Hear's a good example of that. This can was last closed back in 2009 and at 1/3 full, the paint required a quick stirr followed by a slight reduction for spraying with a dash of lacquer thinner.
View attachment 648050
For you guys that have MIG welders, purging is a simple as unlatching the wire feed roller, inserting the tip of the torch holding the lid over the can of paint while triggering the gas into the can of paint. The inert gas is heavier than air and displaces the atmosphere in the can with the noble gas. Simply put, no oxygen (oxidizer) equals longer shelf life. In this case 12 years. Any paint in the lid groove MUST be cleaned for a proper seal prior to employing this technique or your noble gas will leak out reducing your shelf life.
I have one more TIP for anyone relying on wind...
If you find you're dead in the water (DIW) aboard a sail boat with collapsed sails due to zero wind. The solution is to mix paint for outdoor spaying! Every time I mix paint for spaying the wind starts to blow. It's become a running joke between my neighbor and I. All kidding aside the accumulator's finish turned out pretty good. The flat black will match his power unit.
View attachment 648051
Another angle.
View attachment 648052
Just waiting on a HSV-08 valve, then install the rest of the components followed by mounting the tank to the post.
I try to remember to capture the completed install and perhaps a short video of the system working.
Thanks for following along and have a safe and productive Friday!
Paco

Paco:)
I hope you know I am giving you a hard time, and mean no disrespect when I say. " Not bad for a Mexican Rookie "
Nice job, good attention to details, and great workmanship. Oh yeah having the right tools does tend to make the job easier. (y)

Everyone have a great weekend.!
L8R

• Haha
Reactions: firestopper
661 - 680 of 691 Posts