Diesel Place banner
641 - 660 of 691 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 Chevrolet 3500 Silverado Classic LWB crew cab,dually, Kennedy dual pumps, , Donaldson filters
186 Posts
  • Love
Reactions: firestopper

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #642 ·
I love that attention to detail. The DIN rail adds a very nice touch(y)
Thank you Sir.
A little effort goes a long way brother. The VFD cabinets I've built for both lathes utilized components with this fastening system. Im a big fan and employ it whenever possible. In this case It made sense due to access to the top adjustments.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #643 ·
Not bad for a rookie.! (y) :)
L8R

You got that rookie part right brother! I'm still thinking of the final install. When I say thinking, I mean a little nervous. :ROFLMAO: I only get between 4-6 hours of sleep since my mind can't shut off many times. As a result, I wake up thinking about "the job".

Anytime my late father liked something I built or fixed he would say "Not bad for a Mexican".:ROFLMAO:
I miss hearing that from him but I'll take your compliment just the same brother. Thank you!

I'll share something about my late pops since you got me thinking of him.
He was a Bridge Crain operator and laborer. He had no real mechanical skill but man was he gifted with anything plant, grass or tree related. With an 8th grade education he was still smarter than many PHDs today. What my old man did teach me was to be true to my word and never tarnish our name. A dedicated employee and hard working in all he did.
His goal for me was to graduate HS so upon graduating, I enlisted at 17 he was so proud to sign the wavier despite me going in the Navy since he's was a former Marine 🤣. He was a true American patriot and a man of few words when I was growing up, but later when I saw him with my son, nephews and nieces, he was a different man, a gentle man. My old man used to lite me up back in the day but I always had it coming. Disrespect to anyone older than me was punishable big time as was telling a lie. He was always supportive so long as I was doing something productive. He never made a single baseball game in seven years but again he would pay or help in part in anything I tried. By the time I was 12, I started hanging out with him while he attempted to fix our only family vehicle. Soon I was replacing drum shoes, rotor pads, water pumps, starters and other common maintenance/repair tasks. Thats when I began my love for quality tools and he made sure I had what I needed. Looking back, my mom and dad really sacrificed for us kids. They made little money combined but we always had a family vacation every other year and nice clothes for school. By the time I was a junior, I was out on my own but he was always there in case I needed help. That never changed until he passed.
My dads passed in Dec of 07.
His name was Ysidro Nieto.

So all that based on your comment.. "not bad for a rookie" made my eyes sweat a little thinking and sharing a snapshot of my Pops. Thank you Brother!
Have a great Sunday.
Paco

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #644 · (Edited)
So I finished up the Sliding gate project. I was gonna wait until I got the ECU back from Kennedy but decided to use the 1/2 ton gasser. By completing the project now, it buys me a few days to work on the 2500 before I start the next project. Kennedy called today and to let me know the goods are on the way. They should arrive on the 11th.

On the slid gate.
I mentioned in my last post about being a bit nervous about the operator install. This was due to the pad design being for an Apollo operator. That said, many of the install measurements required some modifications to make it work. Locating the Viking on the pad took more time but in the end worked just fine.

The redhead anchors with washers for shinning. I knew I would need to shim based on the crown encountered on the V-track pad.
Road surface Asphalt Grey Tints and shades Composite material

Verifying parallelism using the red section of tubing. This also aided in determining the chain brackets location for welding.
Tire Automotive tire Road surface Motor vehicle Asphalt

A side view. It looks like the chain will clear the pinch roller post by .250"
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Fender Electrical wiring

The tail section of the gate required a 12" extension. Luckily I found a 1/4" X 2" x 2" piece of tubing to match the tail.
Automotive tire Fire hydrant Road surface Asphalt Motor vehicle

Grounding and bonding the operators chassis. The exit probe also required grounding to the 8' rod driven into Mother Earth. The 110VAC was ran in weather flex and terminated into the power junction box. The photo eye, Knox fire switch and exit probe are on deck to be tied in to the control board.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Camera accessory Asphalt Road surface

The fire access switch was installed and wired at the Knox box. This is a NO switch.
Font Gas Paint Symbol Signage

The dust cover lifted reveals the switch. with the red pointer to the right and the key pulled would keep the gate open indefinitely. I was a little disappointed in the knockout on the box. The switch is slightly rotated to the left (counterclockwise). This box was made in USA apparently on a Friday.
Gesture Door Font Material property Wood

Mounting the photo eye bracket on the pinch roller post.
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Grille

All buttoned up.
Property Road surface Asphalt Rectangle Wood

Overall a decent looking gate install when you consider the problems encountered.
Sky Cloud Wood Asphalt Road surface

I'm downloading some videos to share the gate in action as well as some information on safety and operating features Viking offers.
Mor to come...
Thanks for the visit and Remember Pearl Harbor!
"TORA-TORA-TORA"

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #646 · (Edited)

·
Administrator
20,788 Posts
Glad to hear Kennedy has the goods headed your way.

Outstanding job on the gate! (y)

·
Premium Member
2007 Chevrolet 3500 Silverado Classic LWB crew cab,dually, Kennedy dual pumps, , Donaldson filters
186 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #649 · (Edited)
Glad to hear Kennedy has the goods headed your way.

Outstanding job on the gate! (y)
I'm excited to get the rig in service.
Thank you, the gate was fun despite the minor setbacks in the field. It seems the older I get the more shop work I prefer vs field work.

:ROFLMAO:
O K. But what did you do with the leaning light pole:ROFLMAO:(y)
L8R
Ahhh the leaning power pole.....Actually there was also a leaning light pole on the other side of the wall that we pulled power from. Yeah, I think Tucson Electric Power must of sent an apprentice out to install those poles. :ROFLMAO:
That whole neighborhood was littered with leaning utility poles.

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #650 ·
A few videos to share on the set up, operation, and safety features.

The first video is of the initial open/close limit switches programming. Some operators still employ the mechanical screw travel limits found on many garage door operators while yet some others use chain magnets to trigger a reed type switch commonly found on commercial alarm systems.

This Viking L-3 utilizes a solid state board coupled with an encoder (black puck on top of motor) to receive information on travel direction and distance triggering a stop condition using motor braking when it reaches set limit setting. I wanted to see how close I could get it without a hard contact. I also wanted to check repeatability for said conditions.
watch

This video shows the final limits adjusted with a little room for chain stretching that could lead to a hard contact despite the soft stop feature. I will go back (hopefully) after the new year to check the overall install and make any further adjustments.
watch

This last video shows the outside view of the gate. The chainlink gate was promptly removed after compleation.
watch

A couple more photos.
The cover is secured with a key lock commonly found on truck tool boxes.
Property Road surface Asphalt Rectangle Wood

A slide door at the front of the cover allows access to two features. A push button to silence an alarm that would sound after two consecutive safety interruptions (photo beam or obstruction) and or gate collision.
The second is a rocker switch that puts the operator in neutral (unlocks the motor) allowing for manually rolling the gate.
Rectangle Grey Font Gas Electronic device

With the access door slid up.
Grey Gas Electronic device Rectangle Cassette deck

This Omron photo beam is not the cheapest but also not the most expensive but at $198 they are very well built and very reliable. This shoots a beam up to 32'. In this application it's only 16'.
Unfortunately UL 325 the vendor is required by law to sell two for slide gates. I was able to use a 10K resistor to fool the system into seeing two photo eyes installed. The law requires a second entrapment safety device at the rear of any slide gate (open side). As you can see from the many photos, there's no entrapment hazard in this application when the gate opens. The home owner now has an unopened spare.
Cloud Sky Wood Road surface Font

The reflector mounted to the wall. Using a Bosch laser, I was able to shoot a dot to locate the exact location for mounting. The little lean-to will really help keep the face of the reflector clean adding to function reliability.
Wood Road surface Line Asphalt Water

A close up of the reflector also shows the use of an option "eyebrow". I use to make them from ABS but they have been made available for purchase.
Road surface Wood Grey Asphalt Rectangle

I've only scratched the surface describing what this operator can do. Some examples of such features using the diagnostic button and LCD screen, one can scroll through a series of operational functions to monitor things like motor amp, voltage draw during cycling. This is very handy when adjusting the chain tension for optimal efficiency and lifespan of the motor. Another handy feature while scrolling is incoming AC power voltage reading, converted DC power reading, battery charging voltage, static battery(s) voltage as well as over 30 error codes can also be displayed. Any error codes supersede other functional readings. This narrows it down for the person troubleshooting most issues.
A Wi-fi card/module can be added for around $400 that would enable operation of the gate from anywhere in the wold as long as you has internet. It could also alert you when the gate is in operation. As the installer, I could access any trouble codes from any location and have a pretty good idea what I might need to correct or repair a potential issue using a smart phone app. The customer didn't feel the need to spend another $400 for this luxury. I don't blame him.

This concludes the slide gate project and thank you for following along.

I have two jobs in the queue but a little time before they are scheduled to start and one of those jobs is not set in stone yet. I'm hopeful to get some work done on the 2500 that includes a new 62 gallon fuel tank, dual lift pumps, oil pressure harness and rear shocks all while the bed is removed. I'm hoping two days since I don't have any bracket design for the lift pumps as of yet. I also want to fabricate a skid plate for there new fuel tank but again need to assess how it hangs after mounting. Either way I'll share the process and would appreciate feed back along the way.

Lastly, after 13 months not being able to hike due to my right knee, today I will be doing a "shakedown cruise" on the new hardware. It will be 6 months on the 15th with the new hardware so it's time. I still get stiff and sore after a long day of working but I've been on ladders, squatting and climbing on trailers etc. The only thing I don't trust and never will is jumping off things like truck beds and trailers. The climb will include some 1200' in elevation and a short hike of 8 miles. I will go slow and make any mental notes on positions and actions that cause ant discomfort. I am cheating a bit by pre-dosing with an NSAID. I have really missed my time out there and my soul needs much needed fuel. I find my attitude always improves when I'm out there appreciating God's creation. I will share some photos later.
You guys have a great hump day and keep on keeping on!
Paco

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
A few videos to share on the set up, operation, and safety features.

The first video is of the initial open/close limit switches programming. Some operators still employ the mechanical screw travel limits found on many garage door operators while yet some others use chain magnets to trigger a reed type switch commonly found on commercial alarm systems.

This Viking L-3 utilizes a solid state board coupled with an encoder (black puck on top of motor) to receive information on travel direction and distance triggering a stop condition using motor braking when it reaches set limit setting. I wanted to see how close I could get it without a hard contact. I also wanted to check repeatability for said conditions.
watch

This video shows the final limits adjusted with a little room for chain stretching that could lead to a hard contact despite the soft stop feature. I will go back (hopefully) after the new year to check the overall install and make any further adjustments.
watch

This last video shows the outside view of the gate. The chainlink gate was promptly removed after compleation.
watch

A couple more photos.
The cover is secured with a key lock commonly found on truck tool boxes.
View attachment 647273
A slide door at the front of the cover allows access to two features. A push button to silence an alarm that would sound after two consecutive safety interruptions (photo beam or obstruction) and or gate collision.
The second is a rocker switch that puts the operator in neutral (unlocks the motor) allowing for manually rolling the gate.
View attachment 647274
With the access door slid up.
View attachment 647275
This Omron photo beam is not the cheapest but also not the most expensive but at $198 they are very well built and very reliable. This shoots a beam up to 32'. In this application it's only 16'.
Unfortunately UL 325 the vendor is required by law to sell two for slide gates. I was able to use a 10K resistor to fool the system into seeing two photo eyes installed. The law requires a second entrapment safety device at the rear of any slide gate (open side). As you can see from the many photos, there's no entrapment hazard in this application when the gate opens. The home owner now has an unopened spare.
View attachment 647276
The reflector mounted to the wall. Using a Bosch laser, I was able to shoot a dot to locate the exact location for mounting. The little lean-to will really help keep the face of the reflector clean adding to function reliability.
View attachment 647277
A close up of the reflector also shows the use of an option "eyebrow". I use to make them from ABS but they have been made available for purchase.
View attachment 647278
I've only scratched the surface describing what this operator can do. Some examples of such features using the diagnostic button and LCD screen, one can scroll through a series of operational functions to monitor things like motor amp, voltage draw during cycling. This is very handy when adjusting the chain tension for optimal efficiency and lifespan of the motor. Another handy feature while scrolling is incoming AC power voltage reading, converted DC power reading, battery charging voltage, static battery(s) voltage as well as over 30 error codes can also be displayed. Any error codes supersede other functional readings. This narrows it down for the person troubleshooting most issues.
A Wi-fi card/module can be added for around $400 that would enable operation of the gate from anywhere in the wold as long as you has internet. It could also alert you when the gate is in operation. As the installer, I could access any trouble codes from any location and have a pretty good idea what I might need to correct or repair a potential issue using a smart phone app. The customer didn't feel the need to spend another $400 for this luxury. I don't blame him.

This concludes the slide gate project and thank you for following along.

I have two jobs in the queue but a little time before they are scheduled to start and one of those jobs is not set in stone yet. I'm hopeful to get some work done on the 2500 that includes a new 62 gallon fuel tank, dual lift pumps, oil pressure harness and rear shocks all while the bed is removed. I'm hoping two days since I don't have any bracket design for the lift pumps as of yet. I also want to fabricate a skid plate for there new fuel tank but again need to assess how it hangs after mounting. Either way I'll share the process and would appreciate feed back along the way.

Lastly, after 13 months not being able to hike due to my right knee, today I will be doing a "shakedown cruise" on the new hardware. It will be 6 months on the 15th with the new hardware so it's time. I still get stiff and sore after a long day of working but I've been on ladders, squatting and climbing on trailers etc. The only thing I don't trust and never will is jumping off things like truck beds and trailers. The climb will include some 1200' in elevation and a short hike of 8 miles. I will go slow and make any mental notes on positions and actions that cause ant discomfort. I am cheating a bit by pre-dosing with an NSAID. I have really missed my time out there and my soul needs much needed fuel. I find my attitude always improves when I'm out there appreciating God's creation. I will share some photos later.
You guys have a great hump day and keep on keeping on!
Paco
As always nice job. (y)

Turnin & Burnin

L8R

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #652 · (Edited)
What started off as a short 8 mile hike and elevation gain of 1275' morphed into 17.79 miles and 2050' elevation gain.
The knee felt pretty much as if I was working in the shop. After a hot shower and dinner the knee felt tight and a bit stiff but again no different than working a long normal day. I took treking poles but was so excited to commence the hike I left them in the rig along with my hat. Needless to say the poles weren't missed by by head got sunburned. :ROFLMAO:
Some beautiful views from the yesterdays adventure.

Heading to Sabino Canyon. The peak you see above the double yellow lines is Thimble Peak. The mountains in the background are the Catalina's and located atop is Mt. Lemmon.
Cloud Tire Sky Land vehicle Car

About 6 or 7 miles in looking back the direction where I started.
Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape Mountain

Looking to the NW direction towards Hutches Pool.
Sky Cloud Mountain Plant Bedrock

A different area again looking back from the starting point. Thimble Peak is well behind me at this point.
Mountain Plant Cloud Sky Natural landscape

Arrived to Hutches pool the turnaround point. I didn't dare sit down and relax because I was worried my knee would stiffen up.
Water Water resources Natural landscape Bedrock Watercourse

The bonus! I usually buy an annual pass for $40 since parking is $10 per visit. Today my veteran's status got me a free annual pass. During President Trump's last year in office on Veterans Day signed an Executive Order proclaiming Gold Star family and all Veterans can access any National Park for free (for life). What an awesome gift IMO.
Let's see if that too is taken away by the swamp creatures hell bent on making it hard on the "little people".
The "America the Beautiful" Veterans pass. All you Vets, get out and get yours!
Rectangle Road surface Font Grass Cemetery

Today my body feels like any other morning so the time was right to get back to nature.
My soul's fuel tank is full after yesterdays hike...

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #653 ·
Look what showed up today......Guess what's next on the Fallout shelter agenda???
Thank you all who assisted in answering questions and providing solid recommendations on how to spend some $$.😂
Seriously, Thank you! A shout out to John Kennedy for a quick turnaround.
Circuit component Audio equipment Electrical wiring Gas Cable

Stay tuned...

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #654 · (Edited)
Yesterday I routed the new DSP2 switch. This took some time as I wanted to conceal any evidence of the added wire.
First thing I did was verify the switch worked. Using a meter I checked continuity and used a white paint marker to mark the side of the switch that completes the circuit (ground). I did this as I wanted the switch pointing up with ground applied (hotter tune).
The new single black wire was routed though the smaller bulkhead grommet located behind the electrical relay box under the dash. This is the same grommet I used to pass several wires for the Amp Research power steps several years back. I removed all the tape sealing off the grommet nipple and passed a .035" MIG welding wire the tip folded back and taped.
From the inside I taped the new single wire/pin and gently pulled through the firewall grommet. At this point I had already determined the switch location and verified a good chassis ground for the shorter ground wire.

Before reinstalling the ECM I located the black connector and pulled off the cover shield to locate pin #1 for the LLY application.
Here you can see the black connector with the new #1 pin inserted, a definite click was felt/herd.
The new black wire/pin is located on the bottom left corner of the connector (pin #1). Before reinserting the wire retention clip, all pins were verified that nothing slipped back. All pins flush and centered in their prospective locations followed by the retention (blue) clip. A new zip tie was applied securing the new black wire to the rest of the bundle followed by snapping in the plastic shield. If you zoom you can see #1 and # 8 on the grey portion of the connector.
Bicycle tire Automotive tire Tire Automotive lighting Electrical wiring

This shot shows the tip of a screwdriver pointing to the new black wire.
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Bicycle tire Tread

With the PCM reinstalled and all three cam lock connectors in place (blue top, black middle, and grey bottom). Hard to see but the new wire was protected by loom all the way to the bulkhead grommet.
Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Automotive exterior Auto part Wire

The grommet seen with the nipple re-taped. A small roll came in handy to apply the tape with one hand.
Like it came from GM.
Automotive design Automotive tire Grey Headgear Motor vehicle

With the Amp power step module reinstalled and secured with two larger Zip ties.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

The location of the baby toggle is above the drivers right knee and oriented to point up (grounded). The second shorter wire with the ring terminal us located 3-4" to the left. Both are secured to the metal portion of the lower dash support.
A screw driver points to the switch.
That larger foot switch to the right of the accelerator is for the train horns in case anyones is wondering.
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

At this point, I was ready to fire up the rig. Both batteries connected and the rig fired up with no problem. She idled smoothly as before but I wanted to take her for a test drive.
With the OEM fuel tank on E and the low fuel light on (in preparation for the tank swap), I drove 5 miles to the nearest fuel station. I put in 5 gallons and the gauge shot up to 1/2 tank. This is likely due to the new programing Kennedy did as I provided a long list of modifications that need to correspond with the ECM programming. The only issue I may have is S&B provides a new sending unit with their sump style tank. I'v sent Kennedy and S&B emails inquiring my concerns.

On the DSP2. On the way back from fueling and with the engine at normal operating temp, I flipped the switch and felt no difference. I was a little bummed since I spent 3 hours routing the new wire and concealing its existence. No big deal but damn...
The bonus!!!
While driving I was navigating the menu via steering wheel switch and found a new feature JK installed during his programming.
This 05 Sierra never had this feature before. "Fuel Filter Life: %". It has had the oil life remaining % all along.
Speedometer Odometer Trip computer Tachometer Gauge

I also used the new fuel filter restriction lift pump gauge to check baseline without the pumps installed. I had a solid reading of 5.5" vacuum at idle. Bothe fuel filters were changed 300 miles ago. I'm curious what the reading will be with the dual pimps installed. I'm guessing 7-8 psi helping out the CP3 work load.

Short of pulling those cam lock connectors back off, any advice on troubleshooting that DSP2 switch would be appreciated. I've searched the forum with no luck. I'm assuming the lower metal dash support is a reliable chassis ground since I had good continuity using a meter.

More to follow...

·
Administrator
20,788 Posts
Yesterday I routed the new DSP2 switch. This took some time as I wanted to conceal any evidence of the added wire.
First thing I did was verify the switch worked. Using a meter I checked continuity and used a white paint marker to mark the side of the switch that completes the circuit (ground). I did this as I wanted the switch pointing up with ground applied (hotter tune).
The new single black wire was routed though the smaller bulkhead grommet located behind the electrical relay box under the dash. This is the same grommet I used to pass several wires for the Amp Research power steps several years back. I removed all the tape sealing off the grommet nipple and passed a .035" MIG welding wire the tip folded back and taped.
From the inside I taped the new single wire/pin and gently pulled through the firewall grommet. At this point I had already determined the switch location and verified a good chassis ground for the shorter ground wire.

Before reinstalling the ECM I located the black connector and pulled off the cover shield to locate pin #1 for the LLY application.
Here you can see the black connector with the new #1 pin inserted, a definite click was felt/herd.
The new black wire/pin is located on the bottom left corner of the connector (pin #1). Before reinserting the wire retention clip, all pins were verified that nothing slipped back. All pins flush and centered in their prospective locations followed by the retention (blue) clip. A new zip tie was applied securing the new black wire to the rest of the bundle followed by snapping in the plastic shield. If you zoom you can see #1 and # 8 on the grey portion of the connector.
View attachment 647358
This shot shows the tip of a screwdriver pointing to the new black wire.
View attachment 647359
With the PCM reinstalled and all three cam lock connectors in place (blue top, black middle, and grey bottom). Hard to see but the new wire was protected by loom all the way to the bulkhead grommet.
View attachment 647360
The grommet seen with the nipple re-taped. A small roll came in handy to apply the tape with one hand.
Like it came from GM.
View attachment 647361
With the Amp power step module reinstalled and secured with two larger Zip ties.
View attachment 647363
The location of the baby toggle is above the drivers right knee and oriented to point up (grounded). The second shorter wire with the ring terminal us located 3-4" to the left. Both are secured to the metal portion of the lower dash support.
A screw driver points to the switch.
That larger foot switch to the right of the accelerator is for the train horns in case anyones is wondering.
View attachment 647362
At this point, I was ready to fire up the rig. Both batteries connected and the rig fired up with no problem. She idled smoothly as before but I wanted to take her for a test drive.
With the OEM fuel tank on E and the low fuel light on (in preparation for the tank swap), I drove 5 miles to the nearest fuel station. I put in 5 gallons and the gauge shot up to 1/2 tank. This is likely due to the new programing Kennedy did as I provided a long list of modifications that need to correspond with the ECM programming. The only issue I may have is S&B provides a new sending unit with their sump style tank. I'v sent Kennedy and S&B emails inquiring my concerns.

On the DSP2. On the way back from fueling and with the engine at normal operating temp, I flipped the switch and felt no difference. I was a little bummed since I spent 3 hours routing the new wire and concealing its existence. No big deal but damn...
The bonus!!!
While driving I was navigating the menu via steering wheel switch and found a new feature JK installed during his programming.
This 05 Sierra never had this feature before. "Fuel Filter Life: %". It has had the oil life remaining % all along.
View attachment 647364
I also used the new fuel filter restriction lift pump gauge to check baseline without the pumps installed. I had a solid reading of 5.5" vacuum at idle. Bothe fuel filters were changes 300 miles ago. I'm curious what the reading will be with the dual pimps installed. I'm guessing 7-8 psi helping out the CP3 work load.

Short of pulling those cam lock connectors back off, any advice on troubleshooting that DSP2 switch would be appreciated. I've searched the forum with no luck. I'm assuming the lower metal dash support is a reliable chassis ground since I had good continuity using a meter.

More to follow...
Was the software setup for DSP2 or DSP5? if it was setup for DSP5 that may be your issue

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #656 ·
Was the software setup for DSP2 or DSP5? if it was setup for DSP5 that may be your issue
Well I’m assuming again, but according to JK website, custom tunes for the LLY come with two tunes. I also ordered the switch along with all the other goods from him at the same time. I can’t imagine he would sell me a DSP2 switch if the ECM had five tunes programmed in. I’m gonna take a second look at the ground location. I can run a temporary jumper from a battery negative to the ground point I used using a some test leads I have.
I can also use the insight live data to notice any parameter changes with the switch grounded.
A good thought though…

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #657 ·
The 2500's upgrades are complete and I'm happy to share she's running very well with no issues.
The install took two days but that includes a fair amount of electrical, mechanical, and design work. A fair amount of prep work was also involved since I knew the bed would be suspended above our work space.

It all began with relocating some equipment to provide full access to the rig. I also needed enough room to park the fork lift directly behind the truck for the duration of the job.

With the shop floor space rearranged the first step was to pull the shell. 8' fork extensions with two stacked 4" x 4" per fork allowed enough room to clear the rear glass.
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Automotive tire

The bed was prepped for removal. The eight 18mm bed bolts came off without drama followed by the electrical connections and fuel filler hose held in by three 8mm head screws and one air line (horns).
Notice the cross brace secured by two HD-clamps. This will keep the tips of the 8' forks parallel and rigid for the pick.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Building Motor vehicle

Prior to pulling the bed, I also took a baseline reading of the fuel rail using the new JK gauge. She measured 5.5" of vacuum. I also identified an ignition power fuse for tapping power for the new lift pumps as well as planning a spot for the new pump override relay box.
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Automotive parking light

The next few shots are of the precautions I took to provide a safe work space while under the suspended bed.
Keeping things located/aligned will make things easier when I lower the bed back down. The rear bumper is only 3/4"
from contacting the lower quarters of the bed with the bed is installed.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Car

With the bed hanging high, cribbing was used to block each stage of the mast in the event of failure.
A shot of the mast sections 1&2 secured with cribbing and a short cross section of 3"x 3" tube.
Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Gas Bumper

The base crib. Two pieces of 2"x 4" screwed together to form a 4"X4". The opposing side also had mirroring cribbing.
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle

The mast tilt also got anchored to prevent any movement forward. Using load straps wrapped around a the mast main cross member made for a good anchor point. The other end was anchored to the 2" hitch pin at the counterweight end.
Yellow Line Building Electricity Engineering

The rear anchor point. I know the side loaded shackle is a no no, but the load is minimal for the shackles rating and I wanted to keep the straps as flat as possible under load.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

The two anchors were secured to a 2 ton chained come-along to keep the mast secured. Always, alway, always use edge protection on any corners when using straps fellas.
Wood Rectangle Flooring Floor Composite material

The beds lower anchor points work well when loaded upwards. The forks are at the widest possible position to keep the vector forces to a minimal. Like using a speaker bar. The fork extensions also got cardboard edge protection to protect the ratchet straps. Using ratchet straps allows for any slight leveling of the bed while suspended. This should be done as soon as the load is off the frame and as lose to the ground as possible. You can now appreciate the cross bracing at the tip of the forks. It is now safe to work under this suspended load IMO.
Im sure OSHA would not approve but common sense prevails in my book.
Automotive design Vehicle Bumper Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Now the adventure begins...

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #658 · (Edited)
Prior to pulling the old tank, a shop vac was used to clean up the area from built up road debris.
The fuel connectors came off using the Lisle disconnect kit #39900. The fill hose was also removed and the tank was caped off since I still had about 3 gallons of fuel.
Using a motorcycle lift and more cribbing (6"lift), the two tank straps were removed and the OEM tank was lowered.

Look at the comparison!
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Mode of transport Automotive exterior

With the new S&B tank installed I was very impressed with the fit and finish. They knocked it out of the park!
Now to find a suitable location for those sister pumps. The SS bracket Kennedy includes for frame mounting the pumps with his kit was a no go because of how much forward space the new tank takes up.
On 2004 and up, theres a large bracket close to the center line of the frame just to the rear of the cab. Not sure what option this bracket was used for but it's plenty strong and allows for a great platform for the pumps. JKD instructions also identifies this bracket as an option. I went a couple of steps beyond since I wanted ease of mounting and protection from heat and road debris.
After designing a bracket to mount the pumps, I transferred the four mounting holes over to said bracket and welded in some capture nuts. Notice the slight 3/16" offset in the bracket. You'll see the solution using two stacked washers also tack welded to to the new custom bracket that the pumps secure to.
Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Grey Motor vehicle

5/16-18 SS Allen-button heads were used for all the hardware. This allows for a ball nose Allen socket with a 10" extension at a slight angle since I wanted to keep the whole assembly as close to the side of the new fuel tank as possible and off set the drive line. The new custom bracket will also promote airflow to the billet aluminum pump housing.
Notice the two stacked welded washers to the rear of the bracket.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Tool Engineering

A side view.
Automotive tire Automotive design Gadget Engineering Camera lens

The four top fasteners were also secured using blue lock-tite.
Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Hood Wheel

The heat shield was made from .120" Aluminum alloy 5052. This alloy allows for breaking (bending) without hardening the bent radius resulting in cracking. The thickness was used due to its cantilever mounting design.
For ease of assembly/disassembly the heat shield was milled with two 3/8" slots .750" deep for a full engagement of the inboard bracket hardware. This was done prior to breaking the two 90º.
Engineering Gas Machine Space Machine tool

The new heat shield ready for test fit. All edges softened and all corners radiused.
Automotive tire Rectangle Wood Asphalt Bumper

The next few shots show the pumps located with the heat shield in place.
From the bottom you can see the muffler that surprisingly really doesn't get as hot as one might think. I can't tell you publicly why this is by most of you can figure this out.;)
Looking upward.
Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Looking from rear forward.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Steering part

A view from the passengers side with the hoses plumbed and secured. Although it apperas like that supply hose is contacting the edge of the bracket flange, it has a good 1/2" of clearance. The stud provided on that mystery bracket took a 10mm nut to secure the larger clamp keeping the supply hose in-place and free of kinks.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

More to follow...

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Prior to pulling the old tank, a shop vac was used to clean up the area from built up road debris.
The fuel connectors came off using the Lisle disconnect kit #39900. The fill hose was also removed and the tank was caped off since I still had about 3 gallons of fuel.
Using a motorcycle lift and more cribbing (6"lift), the two tank straps were removed and the OEM tank was lowered.

Look at the comparison!
View attachment 647447
With the new S&B tank installed I was very impressed with the fit and finish. They knocked it out of the park!
Now to find a suitable location for those sister pumps. The SS bracket Kennedy includes for frame mounting the pumps with his kit was a no go because of how much forward space the new tank takes up.
On 2004 and up, theres a large bracket close to the center line of the frame just to the rear of the cab. Not sure what option this bracket was used for but it's plenty strong and allows for a great platform for the pumps. JKD instructions also identifies this bracket as an option. I went a couple of steps beyond since I wanted ease of mounting and protection from heat and road debris.
After designing a bracket to mount the pumps, I transferred the four mounting holes over to said bracket and welded in some capture nuts. Notice the slight 3/16" offset in the bracket. You'll see the solution using two stacked washers also tack welded to to the new custom bracket that the pumps secure to.
View attachment 647440
5/16-18 SS Allen-button heads were used for all the hardware. This allows for a ball nose Allen socket with a 10" extension at a slight angle since I wanted to keep the whole assembly as close to the side of the new fuel tank as possible and off set the drive line. The new custom bracket will also promote airflow the billet aluminum.
Notice the two stacked welded washers to the rear of the bracket.
View attachment 647441
A side view.
View attachment 647442
The four top fasteners were also secured using blue lock-tite.
View attachment 647443
The heat shield was made from .120" Aluminum alloy 5052. This alloy allows for breaking (bending) without hardening the bent radius resulting in cracking. The thickness was used due to its cantilever mounting design.
For ease of assembly/disassembly the heat shield was milled with two 3/8" slots .750" deep for a full engagement of the inboard bracket hardware. This was done prior to breaking the two 90º.
View attachment 647449
The new heat shield ready for test fit. All edges softened and all corners radiused.
View attachment 647448
The next few shots show the pumps located with the heat shield in place.
From the bottom you can see the muffler that surprisingly really doesn't get as hot as one might think. I can't tell you publicly why this is by most of you can figure this out.;)
Looking upward.
View attachment 647444
Looking from rear forward.
View attachment 647445
A view from the passengers side with the hoses plumbed and secured. Although it apperas like that supply hose is contacting the edge of the bracket flange, it has a good 1/2" of clearance. The stud provided on that mystery bracket took a 10mm nut to secure the larger clamp keeping the supply hose in-place and free of kinks.
View attachment 647446
More to follow...
Looking Good Lil Bro. (y)
L8R

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #660 · (Edited)
A couple shots I forgot to share of the new tanks fitment.
I can't impress enough how well this tank design is.
The lower inboard edge is shaped to accommodate the larger drive line. The top of the tank is channeled for the harness. All cross members share the same clearances.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Automotive design

Besides the two tank saddle straps, a new cross member supports the front portion of the tank.
Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood

Another impressive design is the accommodation of the fuel cooler. It reminds me of the Ferrari inspired air intake to promote air flow. You can also notice the sump tank design with drain plug (outboard).
Automotive tire Hood Wheel Tire Automotive lighting

At this point we also installed two new rear Bilsteins B8 5160 shock with reservoirs to match the new fronts.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exhaust Automotive exterior

Drivers side.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

More later, my furry kids need a long walk...

641 - 660 of 691 Posts