Diesel Place banner
581 - 600 of 630 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #581 ·
The boxes all turned out nice and a coat (2) of paint was shot on the outside.
Ready for paint. This was yesterday around 3 pm.
Rectangle Outdoor bench Natural landscape Plant Outdoor furniture

The paint laid down nice considering I was in the shade.
Outdoor bench Road surface Asphalt Wood Outdoor furniture

The hasp was tucked inside when I shot the boxes. This way they won't look ratty once the lock has been on and off over time.
Leaf Road surface Wood Tree Table

This morning I was up at 3 am to package them for delivery. I wanted to take my dogs for their daily walk also since they love the morning off leash time. The corners of the lid were soldered as was the rear portion that supports the piano hinge.
Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Gas Rectangle

Peeking inside. The 3/4"hem around the lid and box provide rigidity to the 24 ga sheet metal.
Asphalt Red Flooring Floor Composite material

The rear is open to allow the coils to pass through. The box is long enough to prevent a hand from reaching in when the drawer is out.
Automotive tire Asphalt Tire Road surface Automotive design

All 14 ready for delivery. I failed to mention how the boxes will be secured. The coils will be pulled and the box located. The inside lips you see with the lid open will be drilled and SS rivets will secure the boxes to the plastic trays followed by the reinstallation of the coils. A quick ops check and call it good.
Road surface Asphalt Wood Rectangle Brick

TFD said they will contract me to install once the DEA license are issued.
Back on the slide gate.
Thanks for the visit.
Turn and Burn!

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #582 · (Edited)
Back on the slide gate project.

The power requirement for the operator was ran as well as other periphery wiring conduits.

The wall and slab you see here was done by another contractor based on a drawing I provided. Needless to say it's not up to my standards, however it will work (some crowning and dips). I purposely left out the operator pad from the drawing as I wanted more control of where the conduits would penetrate as well as a flat level pad.
Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Wood Tar

Hard to tell but the footer depth is 14-16" so plenty deep. 1/2 of the operator will anchor to the existing 24" deep track slab and the other 1/2 will be anchored to the new operator pad.
Rectangle Road surface Asphalt Wood Grass

The new pad took 280 lb. of concrete with very little left over.
Road surface Rectangle Asphalt Wood Grey

After 30 minutes or so the pad was ready for finishing.
An edging tool gives it a professional finish followed by a final trowel.
Road surface Asphalt Rectangle Wood Grass

Now for the bad news (maybe). The pad was designed for an Apollo 7351 operator.
When I got home an email was waiting from the supplier I was planning to buying from. Turns out the operator they quoted me is located in Washington state not Houston Tx. This meant the shipping cost increased to $440 to a dock not my location. The freight companies are getting really stupid with pricing with the current supply chain problems (FJB). Onto Plan B....
Stay tuned and thanks for stopping by...

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #583 ·
More on the gate.

Finished all the welding required on the back side of the gate. Used the forklift with 8' extensions to flip it for framing in the two front panels using 1/8'x 1.5" flat strap. This give the front a nice fit and finished look. A tail section was also added for attaching the chain drive system.

Wood Rectangle Asphalt Composite material Floor

So far the calculated weight is close to 330 lb. with another 156.25 +/- 25 lb.

Wood Rectangle Composite material Gas Engineering

Some simple math for the field layout of the V-track (center line) and vertical pinch roller post base plate.

Rectangle Wood Road surface Font Asphalt

This will be the mountain scene the customer requested for the front. The program will be cut on the CNC plasma table.
Material used will be 14 gauge cold roll. Cold Rolled (CR) cost more but with no mill scale it will patina quickly.
The high point will be about 10-12" from the top of the panels so the vertical lines from the corrugated back sheets will still be visible. There's separation or layers between the two giving the gate a nice look. It's clear now to you guys why I used the 3" profile side of the frame. The corrugated material used up 7/8"(.875') plus another 3/4" (.750") tube to support said corrugated sheets. On the front another 3/4" (.750") tube frame, the 1/8" (.120") flat strap frame and finally the 14 ga. (.078")mountain scene. Total material stacked comes to 2.573" leaving front frame protruding .427"
for a clean look.
Computer Personal computer Laptop Peripheral Output device

Back in 2020 a sheet of 14ga. x 60" x 120" CR cost me $90/sheet. Today that same sheet goes for $384/sheet.
Yup you guessed it! #FJB!!!
Some brighter news.
I was able to source and buy a different operator. Actually saved the customer some money and he got a upgraded operator. I like Apollo operators, they are simple and use 12VDC (battery not included) to run the motor. I run 110VAC to power a trickle charger to maintain a deep cycle battery. This operator really shines when your power source is too far or not practical allowing a Solor panel to maintain the battery. The Apollo 7351 design has not changed in decades.

The operator I ended up purchasing has 3 more years of warrantee and converts the 110VAC to 24VDC. It comes with two batteries (power failure back up) and can cycle the gate 120 time on battery alone. The Viking L-3NX has the capacity for 1600 lb. gate up to 60' long.
The Apollo 7351 is rated for 800 lb. and gate up to 25' long. Other improvements on the Viking L-3 are lightning protection, control board LCD screen for diagnostics and setup.
power kill switch for maintenance, Wii-fi ready (smart phone controlled) and many more modern features. Viking has been around for quite some time. Ive used this brand on swing gates in the past with good results. The total cost including all periphery items come to $2565.26. The Apollo would have came to $26xxx plus $440 shipping.
More to come as I'm closer to wrapping this project up.
Thanks for the visit...

Attachments

·
Registered
254 Posts
Another beautiful write up. Not only do you do awesome work, as I have said before your attention to detail is out of this world. Even taking into consideration the customer's pocket book into account and getting them more bang for the buck. Another project hit out of the park. Nice work!!

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #585 ·
Another beautiful write up. Not only do you do awesome work, as I have said before your attention to detail is out of this world. Even taking into consideration the customer's pocket book into account and getting them more bang for the buck. Another project hit out of the park. Nice work!!
Thank you very much for the kind reply. I just wish I could pass on some savings on steel to my customers as well as for my projects. Times are getting tough theses days.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I agree that times are tough with material prices going thru the roof. I thought the supply chain issue would be over but it is just starting for us in the printing business. We were able to stay ahead of it until now.

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #587 ·
I agree that times are tough with material prices going thru the roof. I thought the supply chain issue would be over but it is just starting for us in the printing business. We were able to stay ahead of it until now.
Yes, it’s going to get worse before we see any meaningful relief. Glad your staying ahead of it.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
Yes, it’s going to get worse before we see any meaningful relief. Glad your staying ahead of it.
Let us know when you start taking toilet paper and paper towels as payment. lol

As always, nice job and nice write up. (y)

Reactions: firestopper

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #590 · (Edited)
The slide gate is almost ready for install.
No word on the operator but plenty other things can be done prior to automation.
Install will take place next Tuesday and will consist of (in order) V-track, gate, pinch roller post, weld in pinch roller, and nesting stops (still need to fab those).

Some details of Wednesday and yesterday's work.
23'-10" V-track.
I've shared this detail before on the connection guide I use to join sections of track.
Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle part Automotive design Wood

The 3/8 pin keeps the angle iron aligned and provides added support to the joint.
Fixture Door Grey Font Wood

I always install the sections at the the tail end of the gate, meaning no joints over the traffic end.
Drive pins do a good job of securing the track. Typically if I'm doing the concrete pour, I in-bed (wet stab) a 1/8" x 4" length of flat strap. This provides a base for welding in the track without the need for anchors.
The joint.
Rectangle Wood Font Gas Concrete

The tail end of the gate and track.
Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

With the cost of todays material, I spent the time splicing two sections to make the pinch roller post.
When splicing a post/column and you want a smooth finish, its paramount to either bevel the joint (thicker material) or in this case (thinner material) gap the joint to ensure 100% penetration.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

Using the jig table and a long straight section of tube the two sections are clamped together.
The setup.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood

Tip: Alway tack the corners first. Patience is key when splicing thinner stock. Allowing the weld to cool enough to touch with a bare hand means the piece can be unclamped and flipped for the remaining weld.
Wood Composite material Road surface Gas Parallel

Knowing I wanted to mount the photo beam sensor to the pinch roller post, I decided to prewire the post. This meant adding a hole at the base end for a strain relief. It would be impossible to add the strain relief after welding in the base plate because there would be no way to tighten the jam nut.
These electrician hole cutters are a must for electrical work. They provide a clean hole in short order. The unique design allows for adding holes in a charged cabinet without full passage of the cutter. Look closely and you can see the shoulder that prevent over penetration. A regular hole saw would punch through and if not carful could keep going upon breakthrough.
Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Office equipment

The hole and coupon created by the cutter.
Milling Wood Jig grinder Drilling Drill

More to come...

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #591 · (Edited)
The cable for the photo beam is a four conductor 18 gauge shielded type.
After installing the strain relief and indexing where I wanted the clamp screws to face, I used red lock-tite to lock in the jam nut.
I then drilled a second hole were the sensor will be located (different face) and installed a rubber grommet to protect the cable.
The base plate was then welded on and controlled cooling using a soaked shop rag to keep the temps down protecting the cable.
Automotive tire Road surface Wood Asphalt Flooring

The sensor end with the grommet installed.
Notice the splice just below the penetrating wire. All corners were blended for a continuous looking section.
Automotive tire Hand tool Tool Kitchen utensil Grey

I will be using this steel flex to protect about two feet of wire that will feed to the operators control board.
This will protect the cable from the UV and rodents. The prewired post has 3' of extra cable inside the post in the event the ends get damaged.
Tire Automotive tire Grey Asphalt Synthetic rubber

All done.
Automotive tire Automotive design Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle

The gate got the two piece mountain range installed. The back side of the CR plate got 3/4" sections of tubing to stiffen the 14 gauge sheet preventing oil canning. I think the separation between the corrugated sheet and the mountain range give the gate a cool look.
Wood Asphalt Composite material Automotive exterior Building material

Ready for delivery and install.
Sky Road surface Asphalt Tree Plant

A random shot of the cured operator pad I poured earlier in the week.
Road surface Asphalt Wood Rectangle Grass

More to come...
Heading to Scottsdale today for the Good Guys car show and swap meet. Same place they host the Barrett-Jackson show. I'll snag some photos to share.
Thanks for stopping in.
Turn and Burn!

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #595 ·
Thanks a bunch,
I was on I-10 returning from a Good Guys car show and had spotty signal so I kept it short.
I'll check the link now.
Enjoy your evening.

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #596 ·
Thanks man, they have the insight CTS-3 on sale ($89 mark down) as well. As for the performance tunes, I'm hoping on speaking with Kennedy diesel since I'm also planning a duel lift pump "fancy" kit. I do hope this insight can offer plenty of monitor options for an LLY.

·
Registered
2007 Chevrolet 3500 Silverado Classic LWB crew cab,dually, Kennedy dual pumps, , Donaldson filters
166 Posts
Hello All
Thanks to IdahoSteve for the info on the CTS3. Don't know what's up with the negative comments. Hard to say if it's the CTS3 causing problems, possible with new technology. Prior vehicle problems. ?????? Hard to say with no other information.

I will take one for the team, and let Paco be the Guinea pig. My CTS2 works great on my LBZ none of the problems those guys are complaining about.

Everyone have a great weekend. (y) :D

L8R

Reactions: firestopper

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #598 ·
Not shop work related per-say, but some cool rides out there I'd like to share with you fellas.

This 57 has a cool power plant.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Sky

LMM mated to a ZF-6 gearbox. Cleanly done thumbs up!
Land vehicle Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Car

Some show stoppers.
Car Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood

Each hole owned a filter. Picture doesn't justify the true beauty.
Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Light Automotive lighting

Another winner. To the left of the truck you can spy a Snap-On tool box featuring the winning car. Each one of the twelve here are winners from 2021 Good Guys shows. Each one had a nice trophy box in front. Not bad for a ford hehe.
Vehicle Car Wheel Motor vehicle Hood

Air ride system. Very clean fab work...
Vehicle Car Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting

Cockpit.
Car Vehicle Steering part Hood Motor vehicle

More later. Enjoy your weekend guys.

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #599 ·
Hello All
Thanks to IdahoSteve for the info on the CTS3. Don't know what's up with the negative comments. Hard to say if it's the CTS3 causing problems, possible with new technology. Prior vehicle problems. ?????? Hard to say with no other information.

I will take one for the team, and let Paco be the Guinea pig. My CTS2 works great on my LBZ none of the problems those guys are complaining about.

Everyone have a great weekend. (y) :D

L8R
So the insight has mixed reviews, many mentioning the product was pushed out too soon due to glitches such as screen freezes and other loading issues. The weird thing about ALL the reviews is they all share the same date of 08/09/21. I was hoping to read some current reviews to see if the glitches were resolved. No go. I wonder if anyone here can give a review on the Insight CTS3 for an LLY.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Thanks man, they have the insight CTS-3 on sale ($89 mark down) as well. As for the performance tunes, I'm hoping on speaking with Kennedy diesel since I'm also planning a duel lift pump "fancy" kit. I do hope this insight can offer plenty of monitor options for an LLY.
Oops! I forgot you were going to look into Kennedy's. I've had my CTS2 for quite some time now without any issues at all. I also don't understand the negative reviews by some on the CTS3.

581 - 600 of 630 Posts