Diesel Place banner
561 - 580 of 630 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Chevrolet 3500 Silverado Classic LWB crew cab,dually, Kennedy dual pumps, , Donaldson filters
166 Posts
I think there was more than luck involved on your layout!

You have an LLY so I’m pretty positive the edge cts2 insight can act as your tune controller so no need of the dsp switch. I’ll post a couple pics of the screens. I really like mine. It is just s gauge monitor with no tunes.

I would talk to Kennedy about tuning. He can accommodate EGR concerns. His normal process is mailing an ECM in to him but I bought my own unlinked autocal and he connected it all remotely and emailed me my tune. It was a little more money but I have an autocal now and I can return to stock myself if needed. I like my economy/tow tune.
Paco
Unless you just absolutely have to do it now, and have more money that you know what to do with, Edge will be coming out with their all new tuner, and monitor with some new features.

I called them several months back and they were getting closed to a release date.
I am hoping it will interchange with all the Juice with attitude sensors I already have installed

John Kennedy pretty easy to talk with, when I installed the twins on my LBZ.

Just my .02 worth.
Nice job on the Union Hall job. Not bad for a rookie.!;)(y)
L8R.

·
Registered
183 Posts
That’s good to know. I’ve had my insight cts2 for about 4 years now. Took a couple pics today for your reference.
Land vehicle Plant Vehicle Car Motor vehicle
Output device Vehicle Automotive exterior Tree Gadget

I’ve never used the trans relearn. Balance rates feature is pretty slick and I really like being able to view / clear CEL’s while driving.

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #563 ·
I think there was more than luck involved on your layout!

You have an LLY so I’m pretty positive the edge cts2 insight can act as your tune controller so no need of the dsp switch. I’ll post a couple pics of the screens. I really like mine. It is just s gauge monitor with no tunes.

I would talk to Kennedy about tuning. He can accommodate EGR concerns. His normal process is mailing an ECM in to him but I bought my own unlinked autocal and he connected it all remotely and emailed me my tune. It was a little more money but I have an autocal now and I can return to stock myself if needed. I like my economy/tow tune.
Thanks again for the compliment on the lay out. I seldom do dirt work but like everything else some common sense and reference lines goes a long way brother.
So I don't believe the edge can switch between tunes if I use my current Super-chip tuner. The way this tuner works is I have to plug into the OBD II data port each time I want to switch programs. It basically swops out tunes one for one.
The unit also allows me to check and clear fault codes as well as program tire size. The Super-chips does not show any live data. The edge would be used as a monitor with all the critical information I would want to have at arms reach while driving. The ability to change tunes on the fly would be my ultimate goal.
I will be ordering the duel lift pumps from Kennedy and will get his take on a custom tune.
What I would like to avoid is losing a custom program in the event I'm across country and the rig breaks down to the point that I can't repair it away from home and some dealer re-flashes a custom ECU.
Thanks again for the advice, I appreciate it more than you know. I'm no mechanic by any stretch but I certainly don't trust many real mechanics working flat-rate and cutting corners. No offense to any mechanics reading this, but it's my trust issues from poor past experiences.

Paco
Unless you just absolutely have to do it now, and have more money that you know what to do with, Edge will be coming out with their all new tuner, and monitor with some new features.

I called them several months back and they were getting closed to a release date.
I am hoping it will interchange with all the Juice with attitude sensors I already have installed

John Kennedy pretty easy to talk with, when I installed the twins on my LBZ.

Just my .02 worth.
Nice job on the Union Hall job. Not bad for a rookie.!;)(y)
L8R.
Howdy Amigo!
Not in a huge hurry as I have to address the the larger tank and dual lift pumps. No I don't have more dollars than sense .:) The will call Edge next week when I have some breathing room and get the latest on their product release. Like I mentioned to DieselMcgee, my ultimate goal would be to monitor the engine parameters and change the tune when the driving conditions warrant (on the fly). Thanks for the information on the Edge!
Thanks for the positive feed back on the current job. I like to say "even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while". :LOL:

That’s good to know. I’ve had my insight cts2 for about 4 years now. Took a couple pics today for your reference.
View attachment 646410 View attachment 646411
I’ve never used the trans relearn. Balance rates feature is pretty slick and I really like being able to view / clear CEL’s while driving.
This is exactly what I would want! Thanks for posting up photos. I noticed the term Re-learn on several components while using my Buddys Snap-On scanner. I need to learn more about this but its sounds useful for sure.

I better get for now, Im driving across town to weld in those angle iron frames today. Monday, God willing, I'll be welding in the mesh and finish up with dry packing the base plates and call it done.
Again, I appreciate your advise.
Peace.

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #564 ·
The angle frames went in as planed. I was also able to cut the welded wire mesh to size for Mondays install.

Check out this 1/4" x 10' x 20" piece of welded mesh I sourced from a commercial rebar yard.
Sky Plant Shade Chair Tree

The center wire mesh that supports the 60"Maltese consists of two sections of 5/16" welded together to create a spine for added rigidness. I was concerned with "oil canning" so that's the reasoning behind this decision.
This piece is ready for install. Yes I had to crawl and navigate around those stands to access the backside for taking in the Maltese. I still can't put full pressure on the right knee yet so it was awkward for sure.
Tripod Road surface Engineering Gas Wood

These are the right and left trellis panels cut from that single larger piece.

Plant Road surface Asphalt Wood Grass

The angle frames are welded flush to the outside of the framework. The wire mesh will be placed in from the back and up against the flange of the angle for a clean look.
The corners worked as planned. These were cut and notched at the shop using the iron worker.

A nice fit.
Automotive tire Wood Road surface Bumper Automotive exterior

The detail of the notch on the inside joint.
Wood Door Window Fixture Stairs

Frames done.
A view from the inside covers area looking West.
Sky Plant Shade Architecture Tree

One more day of field work and this project will be done. I'm planning on dry packing the base plates Monday as well.
So far its been a fun project but I must say the larger scale and the up and down on ladders has my body complaining.
The good news is, I believe my body is closer to resuming some hiking. I'll have to start slow like 5-8 miles and see how my right leg and knee does. It's crazy how much muscle mass one looses when injured followed by surgery. It's been a year since I was on the trail. With a failed scope last February it only put me further behind when I had the revised partial replacement on June 15th.
I'll post up completed shots Monday.
Thanks for visiting and enjoy your weekend.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
The angle frames went in as planed. I was also able to cut the welded wire mesh to size for Mondays install.

Check out this 1/4" x 10' x 20" piece of welded mesh I sourced from a commercial rebar yard.
View attachment 646427
The center wire mesh that supports the 60"Maltese consists of two sections of 5/16" welded together to create a spine for added rigidness. I was concerned with "oil canning" so that's the reasoning behind this decision.
This piece is ready for install. Yes I had to crawl and navigate around those stands to access the backside for taking in the Maltese. I still can't put full pressure on the right knee yet so it was awkward for sure.
View attachment 646431
These are the right and left trellis panels cut from that single larger piece.

View attachment 646432
The angle frames are welded flush to the outside of the framework. The wire mesh will be placed in from the back and up against the flange of the angle for a clean look.
The corners worked as planned. These were cut and notched at the shop using the iron worker.

A nice fit.
View attachment 646428
The detail of the notch on the inside joint.
View attachment 646429
Frames done.
A view from the inside covers area looking West.
View attachment 646430
One more day of field work and this project will be done. I'm planning on dry packing the base plates Monday as well.
So far its been a fun project but I must say the larger scale and the up and down on ladders has my body complaining.
The good news is, I believe my body is closer to resuming some hiking. I'll have to start slow like 5-8 miles and see how my right leg and knee does. It's crazy how much muscle mass one looses when injured followed by surgery. It's been a year since I was on the trail. With a failed scope last February it only put me further behind when I had the revised partial replacement on June 15th.
I'll post up completed shots Monday.
Thanks for visiting and enjoy your weekend.
Can't wait to see the play by play of the "Let's Go Brandon" sign you're making ;-)

Maybe with old car parts spelling it our or something? I know, like your projects are a request line. lol

Some ideas:

Reactions: firestopper

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #566 ·
Can't wait to see the play by play of the "Let's Go Brandon" sign you're making ;-)

Maybe with old car parts spelling it our or something? I know, like your projects are a request line. lol

Some ideas:
Sleepy Joe sellout isn't worth the steel parts or time this is cool.
Asphalt Font Rectangle Line Technology

Those piston clock are cool as hell. I have a pallet full of vintage 1960 Park-o-meters that I need to blast, paint and make them available for those interested though. I have 30,60 and 120 min. I believe they work for 8 days on a single wind. Maybe when I slow down.....yeah right!:ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #567 ·
Today I drove the fork lift down the street to a Buddy's new Barndominium. The same place I built the cooler stand for that monster 12Kcfm double wet section swampzilla like mine. I also built that large window frame and those seven barn door frames.
Today's mission was to set up his new 14K pound four post Bend-Pac lift.
Started at 7 am and finished at 2:30.
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Forklift truck Vehicle

The four large cables took the most time as the sheaves had to be pulled off to rout the cable system. Also ran pneumatic lines to each post for the safety locks controlled by air cylinders. All in all it went smooth.
Floor Flooring Gas Wood Machine

The release has a mushroom type air valve and the Hydraulic power unit had the lowering lever like my two post.
Automotive parking light Car Automotive tire Tire Vehicle

Allin all the assembly went smooth. The items left are to run 220 juice to cycle the lift and adjust the cables followed by anchoring the posts down.
Wood Floor Flooring Shade Building

Now for that window frame and barn doors.
Looking down from the second story game room.
Window Fixture Shade Building Vehicle

Another view of the shop space.
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car

A double barn door in the Master suite.
Property Cabinetry Building Wood Interior design

"Do not disturb"
Wood Flooring Floor Shade Hardwood

Master bath door.
Furniture Building Door Wood Grey

The wood used on the interior and all barn doors is from the 1920-30's harvested from old barns and vintage structures.
I'm sure they cost a pretty penny but they do look fantastic.
On my way out back home my buddy gifted me a new creeper and it rolls like glass.
Motor vehicle Asphalt Mode of transport Hood Automotive exterior

Enjoy your Saturday evening Diesel Place brethren.
Peace.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Looks great! How thick is that slab at your buddy's shop under the lift? 4"? 6"?

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #569 ·
Thank you,
His slab is 6” throughout and thicker on the house end to support the added weight of the second floor.
These four post lifts have a castor option that uses the weight of the runways to raise the castor mechanism lifting the entire lift off the floor for rolling. We’re gonna anchor his but my point is this type of lift doesn’t require anchoring or a real thick slab since the load is shared by four posts. Each post on his lift will support 3,500 at rated capacity. His lift only requires a 4” of 3000 psi. Slab.
On my 10k two post, the slab required is a minimum of 4” 3000psi although I went five inch throughout.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Gotcha, I would like to install a lift someday when I build a shop. 4" minimum makes sense with the width of the feet. That's pretty cool that it has the caster option, be very useful for those whose mechanic work is limited to fixing our own vehicles.

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #571 ·
Finished up the Union Hall facade around 11:30 today. I was dry packing the last two base plates when the landscapers arrived with plants galore including the vines for the outboard trellis.
Sky Cloud Wood Gas Facade

The 60" logo looks pretty good. Mother Nature will patina it in short order. I used cold rolled sheet so no mill scale to prolong the rust. The angle frames and 3" square tube will take a bit longer but I didn't want to use any chemicals with the new plants going in.
Automotive tire Fence Motor vehicle Font Gas

The angle frames really clean up the mesh perimeters and made it way easier to weld.
Fence Mesh Building Wall Composite material

A North view.
Sky Cloud Shade Road surface Wood

Dry packing the base plates with non shrink grout. I used some glue mixed in with the water to mix the grout to a dry consistency. The trick is to be able to grab a hand full and squeeze forming a ball.
Plant Tire Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt

Typically I pack the space under the base plate and form a 45º angle to the concrete, but since I couldn't really finish the concrete in a 10" Sonotube with the base plates wet stabbed. I decided (back then) to pack the base plates and carry the grout all the way to the edge. Once the gout begins to get somewhat hard, I use a moist sponge to smooth out the entire transition. With drip irrigation and constant moisture this application will protect the posts from premature decay.
Tire Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Wheel

I think they'll be happy when they see the finished product.
Next up on the project list will be a 12' sliding gate with electric operator.
Stay tuned.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #572 ·
On a side note, The LLY has been running great again so not sure why it Limped without a CEL.
The three fault codes (P0101, P0670, and P1093) found using a quality scanner never tripped a CEL.
The only thing I really did was pull the MAF sensor out and clean it. The P0101 and the P1093 have not come back.
The P0670 (Glow plug module) came back right away.
Yesterday I studied the schematics on that circuit and verified I had voltage to the single hot cable which was fine. I also focused on the 12 pin connector and checked for ground on pin #11 (pink w/yellow line) which also passed. I also verified I had power to the ignition wire #5 (pink wire) with key on. that also checked out so I sourced a new module from a Huston Texas GMC dealer on line for $104 plus $4 shipping. This morning at 6 am I turned on the ignition and saw the glow plug indicator on the cluster come on and it never went off until I fired the engine. It never came back on the rest of the day when turning the ignition on. I'm 99% I'm on the right track replacing the module.
Lastly, Im gonna pull the trigger on those dual lift pumps, 62 gallon fuel tank and call Edge to see if they have the new CTS3 dialed in for the LLY.
Some info I found;
2004.5-2005 Duramax LLY Specific Features
  • +30 HP & +60 TQ
  • +50 HP & +90 TQ
  • +70 HP & +150 TQ
  • +100 HP & +210 TQ
  • 50 State Legal – CARB EO # D-802-13
  • Tire Adjustments from 26" to 38"
  • Speedometer Correction
  • Speed Limiter
The Third Generation CTS3 is faster, slimmer, smoother, more advanced, and wi-fi update compatible. In addition to the new slim case design, Edge also upgraded to a 5” full-color capacitive touch screen display, making these gauges the sleekest in the industry. They also added an all-new, high-speed, processor that provides easy swipe gestures and navigation throughout the product resulting in a user experience that is unmatched in the automotive aftermarket. You can choose between over 20 multiple custom gauge screens to monitor vital vehicle parameters. The new Modern CTS3 screen is Edge’s all-new screen that allows you to monitor 10 parameters (PIDs) at once. Best of all, the multi-screen comes with a scrolling option and allows you to swipe between multiple gauge screens at any given time.

The tunes look similar to my Superchips but can be changed on the fly, something I've always wished I could do.
Hopefully I can pick Kennedy's brain a little too.

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #575 · (Edited)
Started another project today. I wasn't able to get in a full shop day as I had too many errands.
The project is a 13'-6" slide gate for a 12' opening. The gate will also have a tail section to accommodate the chain drive system for the operator.

The main frame is made from 14 ga. x 2" x 3" tubing. The 45º were cut on the 2" side allowing for the 3" surface area to be used for the designs. In other words the wide portion (3") is the thickness of the frame.
That said, I wanted the V-track wheels to be "frenched" in for a low profile at the base between the V-track and the bottom of the gate. The overall gap should be 2-1/4". To achieve this I had to in-bed the V-track wheel box into the 3" profile side of the bottom horizontal. I used a 5" hand grinder with a thin cut-off wheel to cut the pocket since using a plasma would more than likely cause the tube to look like a banana from heat warp.
Automotive lighting Light Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Using two quick squares ensures the box sides are perpendicular to the tube and allows for up/down adjustment prior to tacking. The box needed to be high enough to allow the bolt/nut to turn.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive design

After tacking a square was used to ensure proper even spacing.
Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Composite material Rim

With the two boxes set in and tacked in properly, the full length was clamped to the top rail and both clamped to the jig table. This will control unwanted warping when welding in the boxes. Skip welding will keep the heat effected zone to a minimum to prevent that unwanted banana effect.
Wood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Engineering

Both boxes burned in.
Automotive tire Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Machine tool

The other end.
Automotive tire Machine tool Engineering Wood Gas

The entire frame is welded and square. The diagonal measured 178-11/16" in both directions. The corners were also skip welded to prevent unwanted movement after squaring.
Automotive tire Wheel Engineering Machine Auto part

This will be the last time I'm able to flip this frame by hand. I try hard to plan where the seams will end up when cutting the material. In this case since the gate will be rusted the seams will be hidden as much as possible. I did the same on the Union Hall job.
Wood Automotive tire Bumper Line Automotive exterior

I set the wheels in and verified the gap between the V-groove wheels and the angle track (2-1/4").
Automotive tire Engineering Wood Gas Machine

She's gonna be heavy. I don't plan on grinding any welds with the exception of the outside corners but they will be blended to match the tubing radius. The two C-clamps and two Vise-grip clamps (far end) will keep the frame square when welding.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive design Wood

More to come...
You all have a great night.

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #576 ·
I just had a thought. If you took a screen shot of a photo you wanted to share from a site, then saved it to your photos to share, it would probably be the safe way to do it. What say the computer guys?

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #577 · (Edited)
The slide gate is coming along but it getting a bit heavy.
Using 3/4" square tubing to create a inner frame for the corrugated to attach. The corrugated sheets are 22 ga so I thought it would be better to screw them to the frame using #8 x 1/2" Tek screws. In the event the thinner gauge steel gets damage, it should make it easier to replace it.
Automotive tire Wood Automotive design Rectangle Automotive exterior

This is the back side (inside) of the gate. The front will get some decorative designs.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Wood Floor

This side will get a 3/16"x 2" x 2" angle with the flange facing down for the pinch roller guide.
Then figure how to flip this without damage to the thinner corrugated sheeting.
Automotive tire Wheel Automotive design Wood Automotive exterior

More to come...
Have a great weekend guys!

·
Administrator
20,217 Posts
I just had a thought. If you took a screen shot of a photo you wanted to share from a site, then saved it to your photos to share, it would probably be the safe way to do it. What say the computer guys?
That could work.. but linking in a picture from another site can still be done without any real major worries.
That Pinterest problem was a one-off issue and not too common.

The last time we saw something similar like that was with the Photobucket photo hosting site years back
(y)

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #579 ·
That could work.. but linking in a picture from another site can still be done without any real major worries.
That Pinterest problem was a one-off issue and not too common.

The last time we saw something similar like that was with the Photobucket photo hosting site years back
(y)
Good morning sir,
I was able to edit successfully once again.
Thanks again for your continued support.

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #580 · (Edited)
Had to put the slider gate briefly on hold. The Tucson Fire department contracted me to design/build a Narcotic security box for the UCAPIT vending machines. These machines dispense commonly used adjuncts and medications used in ALS applications by medics.

A shot of the vending machine with a prototype box for testing. The three Narcotics are Morphine, Ketamine, and Versed.
This required a DEA license and a chain of custody unlike the other medications. The secondary lock box is just to keep the person restocking the other items honest. The Narcotic box will require a dedicated individual to keep records and be in control of restocking and replacing any upcoming expired narcs. They will be the only one with a key for the pad lock that will access the box. The main barrel key that accesses the machine itself sends telemetry to a computer system that alerts and maintains records of who, what and when the machine was opened. The same system also records the same when items are dispensed. Some time back we ran cat 5 wire to each machine that enables the communication for said actions. I also upgraded the machines with 1/2" polycarbonate "glass" when I was on light duty to satisfy the DEA. Since my retirement, things have progressed and they are getting ready for the machines to be outfitted with the Narc boxes. We programmed the computer system to require two individuals to pull any Narcotics. One being a Captain and the second being the Medic that need to replace the narcotics after a call. This keeps accountability and the DEA satisfied.
Shelf Shelving Audio equipment Computer hardware Gadget

Each tray on the machine pulls out like a drawer allowing the restocking of goods. The box was designed to open once the drawer is pulled and the pad lock removed.
Light Gas Building Musical instrument accessory Machine

I modified the coils by stretching and cutting them. The stepper motors turn at different rates with the center motor turning the opposite direction of the outer coils.
The small gap you see is were the medication dispenses and drops. The machine has drop sensors that will signal the coils to turn an additional 1/2 turn in the event the narc fail to drop.
White Light Automotive tire Sleeve Font

With the prototype working as planned, I drew up some drawings to fabricate 13 more boxes.
Side view.
Rectangle Handwriting Font Parallel Pattern

Top View.
Handwriting Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern

Front View.
Rectangle Triangle Slope Font Parallel

Back View.
Rectangle Triangle Slope Font Schematic

More to follow...

561 - 580 of 630 Posts