Diesel Place banner

Which DPF back system do you think I should opt for?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I've had my L5P for just about a month now... Love it, can not say enough good things about it. This is my first BRAND NEW vehicle so in the past the "mod" bug has never slowed me down.

With that being said, I now have significant warranty to consider before making any major modifications to the truck. This is also my first diesel so keep that in mind.

I check this forum almost daily and it seems that there isn't much activity on the "Sixth Gen" category yet....

SO: here is my contribution. Feel free to comment anything you would like that has to do with modding of your L5P duramax, or anything else of relevance to the conversations for that matter.

The first real "modification" of my truck is in the works... I work for a big name performance company and my vehicle will be the lucky recipient of a new DPF back exhaust for test fitting and the finalization of prototyping for a 5" system :coolnana:. Stay tuned for pictures and updates.

PFA

Attachments

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Where is the option for "don't bother". If your towing stuff then I would leave the ugly stock thing on there. It isn't out of the realm of possibilities that you melt something. Some have melted their 5'ers but probably pretty rare for a Standard Bed.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
It seems like a lot of effort for zero performance gains, and zero increase in exhaust sound. Why not just polish the factory tip if you're that concerned with looks?

·
diesel pro
788 Posts
I'm interested in what birtch3 has to offer here regardless of any gains, losses etc...,Sit back and enjoy what he has to show us. I have a Banks system on my 2017 and it looks 1000 times better than the stock exhaust system. It's all about individuality when it comes to modifications to vehicles. I look forward to seeing what he has to show all of us! Besides all of that its the mans first post on DP, if we are to retain new members and continue to grow we should be a little more welcoming to new members.

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.....bring it on Birtch3....I look forward to new 5 inch system andCongrats on the new truck...Sure is pretty in black !

·
Registered
374 Posts
Me for one ca'nt wait to see the new pipe! The stockers are so "UGLY" I think! And polishing it would make it still be "UGLY"! Welcome Birch3! Please do post a picture of the pipe!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey everyone, glad to get some conversation sparked up! I appreciate the responses no matter which way the opinion falls. With that being said, I will try to respond to each individual. (Pic For Attention)

Coolbreeze: I'm glad you brought up the potential negative side effects, gives me something to think about for sure. With that being said, keep my fingers crossed that all of us avoid any scenarios like that! Does anyone have any experience with the EDGE CTS2 programmer/reader on similar trucks yet? I had an original CTS on my 1500 Silverado and loved being able to read more information than the factory cluster provides me.

BanksLB7Duramax: with my current employment, I will be getting paid as well as enjoying the wrenching time at work to work on my truck up on the lift. I have had aftermarket exhausts on every (non-winter beaters) vehicles I have ever owned. Yes I definitely prefer the looks of aftermarket as well as the sound, but like you said probably won't notice that much of a difference. With that being said... I will be helping my company out, as well as getting a product (that I would eventually be purchasing down the road anyways) so I figure might as well! I enjoy customizing my rides and making them my own, and this is probably one of the least-risky modifications I can do at this point.

dz302: I love the attitude! I appreciate the support from the community and look forward to hopefully making many like-minded online friends in this forum! Cheers!
P.S. do you have any pictures or words of wisdom regarding your truck/exhaust currently? Pros? Cons? any insight would be appreciated!

godaddy: Thanks to you as well! I agree, the factory pipe is a bit of an eye sore, and I will definitely post pictures as soon as we can schedule my truck in with the other engineers.

And to any other thread viewers: PICTURES SPEAK 1000 WORDS! Show me what kind of stuff you decided to change since factory to personalize your truck to your liking!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm also interested in something that turns the exit out more toward the side. I have Rock Tamer stone guards that I prefer to use while towing the boat but the factory pipe exit would definitely cause melting issues as is. My LMM would have had the same problem but I switched it to an MBRP system with side exit and never had an issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm also interested in something that turns the exit out more toward the side. I have Rock Tamer stone guards that I prefer to use while towing the boat but the factory pipe exit would definitely cause melting issues as is. My LMM would have had the same problem but I switched it to an MBRP system with side exit and never had an issue.
I was going to keep the name anonymous but clearly didn't think that one through as everyone would be able to see the name brand on the system :hehe: duh... But you hit the head on the nail!

I guess people could put two and two together based on my location as well...

·
Registered
86 Posts
^This^ I had the exact same problem with my LMM. If i didn't turn the exhaust, the right side rock tamer would be a goner. Getting an '18 and when i do, the dpf back will be the first change!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I contacted MBRP 6 weeks ago about the availability of their DPF back systems for the 2017 diesels. They responded that it'll be July before they have anything out. I'm hoping that this might be what's going on here... ;-)

·
Registered
315 Posts
When it's done we've got to see pictures, underneath too, I want to see mounting of the new sensors (EGT 5 & particulate matter sensor) past the DPF after new exhaust is on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey everyone!

My apologies, I ended up working all weekend and had some family visiting hence my lack of online activity.

Anyways, long story short is the prototype fit up went well. We needed to keep that specific system to fab fixtures off of the master. Approvals went through and should be seeing my stainless come through the floor this week. I will keep you all posted!

@TheDynoGuy as far as I know both have been settled and paperwork is in motion. Obviously depending on your geographic location, lead times could vary.

@Rob1 I will gladly give you guys a peek as soon as I have my proper system on.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I haven't had an issue with my rock Tamers yet, towed my 10000lbs trailer about 1000kms now with them on.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I haven't had an issue with my rock Tamers yet, towed my 10000lbs trailer about 1000kms now with them on.
That's good to know. Just looking at the angle of the tail pipe, I was afraid to try it. I bought my Rock Tamers when I had my last truck when I had to run up to Northern Michigan in November to pick up my latest boat. I was worried about melting the right side flap (especially during regen) so hurried up and modified to flap just to make the trip. It got me by but when I got back, I replaced the flap, deleted, tuned the truck and changed the exhaust.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
50 Posts
I was talking to a guy in another forum regarding my 17 and mods....changing exhaust and so forth. Its a diesel...I want to hear the mean exhaust and the turbo....he was saying that the stock exhaust has special holes (something like that) so that it can keep something cool. I don't remember exactly what.....

I have watched a few videos online....some say the deleted 2016 has more power than than the 2017.....but then others say it doesn't. I know they sounds mean....and you can hear the turbo....which is awesome. One guy claimed he was getting 26MPG with 37's and....well I find that a little hard to believe. A friend of mine has a 2015 Ford F250 deleted.....that thing is a beast.....would run off and leave my truck.....

This is my first diesel....my last 4 vehicles have been supercharged. I am a software engineer....I don't know a lot about "mechanics"....though I find it intriguing.

A questions for all the intelligent diesel heads out there.....if a diesel can be deleted and get more power and significantly better fuel economy, then why is the government and the auto industry not making the vehicles out the door be like that? Does the oil company really have that much control over this? Sure I know....there is a law to prevent pollution.....but if the recycling of exhaust in the engine degrades fuel and performance by 3%, then aren't we using 3% more fuel anyway? Granted the answer to this may mostly be skewed by personal opinion....but to me...it seems there is something with the oil industry behind all this.

·
Registered
315 Posts
1 word - emissions. EGR is used to lower combustion temperatures to create less NOx (oxides of nitrogen) which are bad dudes, cause cancer, destroy ozone layer etc. They rape the women and kill the men, the only nitrogen oxides are tame. NOx are also felt with using DEF.

Particulate matter from the exhaust is the other big issue, diesel soot particles are smaller than our mucus membranes can filter, because they don't occur naturally in nature.

The tailpipe on the factory exhaust is the cooler, it has the holes in there back side to allow cool ambient air to be drawn into the hot (regen in pacticular) exhaust stream and "dilutes" it to a cooler temperature. Had a GM training instructor tell me once it can lower the temperature by 200-300 degrees, that's why you see guys with aftermarket tips melting things. If the particulate filter/catalytic converter/selective reduction catalyst (basically full exhaust turbo back) is removed, likely won't have to worry about melting anything unless under heavy load, not sure how EGT's compare, loaded VS regen.

Every time we get a deleted truck through the shop you can smell it right away, stinks up the whole place, we can have stock trucks through all day without even a whiff of diesel exhaust. The emissions stuff does its job, that's for sure.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts