Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chevy Express turbo doesn't work - mystery
When I bought my Express from the Netherlands I had trouble finding the right serpent belt.
It turned out that someone dismantled the mechanical vacuum pump. Thanks to this, the air in the cabin was in service mode, so it only worked on the glass and legs. I also had a large leak of oil at the back of the engine. After thorough washing of the engine with a rag and extraction gasoline it turned out that the leakage was from under the turbine. In Poland I couldn't find a gasket under the turbine anywhere. I managed to buy it, the last one in Holland in some military vehicle shop. I started to replace it, took off the turbo, looked into it from the air, it was spinning.
Knowing that the turbine and ventilation are controlled by vacuum, I installed an electric pump from a Volvo. This pump generates a vacuum of 25, measured on the turbo solenoid valve. The air supply started to work properly. Unfortunately, the turbine did not.
This is where the problem is separated into mechanical and electrical parts.
Mechanical - a manually operated turbine while driving does not work. Due to the lack of lubrication described above, it is most likely that the shaft in the turbine has twisted, the front part is spinning, the rear part is standing. Turbine to be replaced.
Electric - according to the sticker there are two elements in the car related to the turbine. Vacuum pump and turbo solenoid valve.The pump is and works, solenoid valve replaced and works. MAP sensor works. However, when starting the engine, the westegate actuator is hiding and so remain due to the engine speed. No turbine control.
Is there a chance to get that turbine control in order before I replace it?

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,238 Posts
Better off just buying a Reman or new turbo from eBay for your van.I had a centermount turbo engine in a van but placed it in a 90s Chevy truck minus the turbo because of firewall clearance problems but I still have the van turbo here if it interests you.Not a thing wrong with it.It came from a 96 gmc van and off a goodwrench engine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome

Perhaps I'd be interested in your offer, it all depends on the money. There's an offer on ebay that I think will solve the turbine itself. It costs $210 with the shipment to Poland
GM VAN & HUMMER H1 6.5L Chevy Express Savana Van H1 Turbo charger Cartridge CHRA | eBay
However, is it enough to replace the turbine itself if the westegate actuator in my car is hiding when I start the engine and remains so despite the increase in engine speed? I would like to see it slide out when the engine rpm increases. There will be a new or operating turbine that will not start.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've seen this mechanism work properly in my colleague's '96 GMC Savana. The engine rpm is increasing the westegate actuator is extending

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it possible that my vacuum pump generating 25 Hg Vac prevents the westegate actuator from working properly?I have a Tech2 clone, there are no errors, during the increase of engine speed the turbo solenoid changes the percentage but westegate actuator does not extend ?

·
Administrator
16,702 Posts
Is it possible that my vacuum pump generating 25 Hg Vac prevents the westegate actuator from working properly?I have a Tech2 clone, there are no errors, during the increase of engine speed the turbo solenoid changes the percentage but westegate actuator does not extend ?
You should see a minimum of 22hg from the pump . Your vac pump is within spec.
If the actuator is not functioning then your wastegate solenoid is suspect. If you have an aftermarket brand Solenoid, that may be your issue.
Aftermarket electrical parts will bring random electrical gremlins. Replace it with an AC/Delco brand Solenoid

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,872 Posts
The vacuum hose are usually bad at this age.
You can replace it with rubber vacuum hose.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a little problem with this valve. In C/K cars there is a westegate solenoid, in the Express according to the sticker there is a turbo solenoid valve. Both appear in the rockauto shop as assigned to my car. I ordered both, they work the same way. I don't know what the difference is

·
Administrator
16,702 Posts
I have a little problem with this valve. In C/K cars there is a westegate solenoid, in the Express according to the sticker there is a turbo solenoid valve. Both appear in the rockauto shop as assigned to my car. I ordered both, they work the same way. I don't know what the difference is
The wastegate solenoid monitors the signal from the ECM and controls the vacuum to the wastegate actuator.
The Turbo Boost solenoid monitors boost levels and reports to the ECM. If your boost rises above 12psi. the ECM will put the engine into limp mode and defuel the engine to protect things.
Any parts you replace that are electrical, need to be AC/Delco brand only or you will be chasing electrical gremlins caused by aftermarket parts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Then which one of these valves is in my car?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There are no two of them. Either it's a westegate solenoid or a turbo solenoid valve

·
Administrator
16,702 Posts
That would be the wastegate solenoid

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have new ones, both of them. Whoever put the westegate actuator in the car still hides when you start the engine. and it stays that way.
So I'm not supposed to believe the sticker from the car, and assume it's a westegate solenoid

·
Administrator
16,702 Posts
I have new ones, both of them. Whoever put the westegate actuator in the car still hides when you start the engine. and it stays that way.
So I'm not supposed to believe the sticker from the car, and assume it's a westegate solenoid
Is the new part an AC/Delco?
Make sure the vacuum lines are on correctly and not reversed

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Unfortunately, I ordered:
  • Turbocharger Boost Solenoid - standard motor product VS62 - does not work
  • Turbocharger Wastegate Solenoid - ACDELCO 2141073 - not working
Both valves, when looked at in Tech2, work, their value changes in percentage, but the westegate actuator still retracts when the engine is started and so it stays

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Make sure the vacuum lines are on correctly and not reversed

if the supply air control is working correctly, it is unlikely that the wires are connected the other way around. everything except the turbine control works correctly

·
Administrator
16,702 Posts
Grab a can of Lubricant spray like WD 40.
Remove the Solenoid and give the vacuum port on the Solenoid a good spray inside.
Then give the Solenoid a few lite taps to free the internals.
Some of the Solenoids are known to stick out of the box

Reactions: 56pan

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay. It's almost 10pm. Tomorrow I'll check and let you know.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've squeezed WD40 in ACDelco 2141073 Turbocharger Wastegate Solenoid. I knocked gently.
Unfortunately, no improvement. The Westegate actuator as it stood stands.

What can I check next?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts