Diesel Place banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Friday you'all!
I'm driving me Wifes 2021, non refreshed RST 1500 Crew Short with the Baby D.
A Great Truck. Really a joy to drive. And just turned 10K on it.

But driving it to work because we gave our diesel Jetta to our Daughter who's Range Rover died (what nice parents we are) I've been driving her Red Beast to work here at Harborview in Seattle.

I've noticed a high frequency audio 'Whine' when I'm driving it around the neighborhood, not necessarily on the highway cause of road noise.
Now I can't figure if it's something under the hood (engine) or the tranny. But the whine changes with acceleration, following the engine revs.

Is this normal? I've heard this before on a Chevy Colorado, the very first one with the straight 5.
And it drove me nuts, but it was louder in the Colorado than the RST.
Our 2008 1500 5.3 V8 didn't have the noise at all.
I'm just curious if anyone Really knows what causes it.

Hiway to work: topped 37.2 last tuesday. Combined pump to pump 28.6 MPG.
This thing just rocks.

Hey, Have a great up coming Weekend everyone.
The BeaVe

·
Registered
395 Posts
Do you have it in 4 hi or Auto 4wd?

·
Administrator
22,032 Posts
2 Hi.
Regular, no sports mode.
Hey this site isn’t dead!
ROCK ON!!!
BeaVe
When you say "High Frequency Audio Whine" is it coming through the speakers or is it something exterior that you can hear coming into the cab?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you say "High Frequency Audio Whine" is it coming through the speakers or is it something exterior that you can hear coming into the cab?
Exterior. Not coming from the radio but it’s the same kind of sound, going back to the old days. That sound. But coming from the exterior, I can hear it when I’m on the porch as my Wife pulls away to play her Pokémon.
BeaVe

·
Administrator
22,032 Posts
Exterior. Not coming from the radio but it’s the same kind of sound, going back to the old days. That sound. But coming from the exterior, I can hear it when I’m on the porch as my Wife pulls away to play her Pokémon.
BeaVe
That could be anything from a loose heatshield to an incorrectly adjusted brakeshoe, to a bearing or ???

I would look up your vehicle online for any TSB's that are similar in nature to maybe help give you a direction to go .
If you cannot locate a TSB then maybe take it by the local Dealer and ask them about any bulletins on the noise issue

Reactions: gdog6979

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That could be anything from a loose heatshield to an incorrectly adjusted brakeshoe, to a bearing or ???

I would look up your vehicle online for any TSB's that are similar in nature to maybe help give you a direction to go .
If you cannot locate a TSB then maybe take it by the local Dealer and ask them about any bulletins on the noise issue
Thank you for that!
Just got back from going out with the wife Pokémon ing and the whine DEFINITELY follows the transmission shifting. Rises when accelerating and when it shifts up the pitch lowers to the new gear!
So there you go. It’s following the shifting.
Hope you guys are having a Good Friday evening!
BeaVe

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok. GM Dropped our new 1500 Silverado RST Duramax 3.0 on us last Wednesday.
We picked it up last Friday and am still in shock how nice it is. Northsky Blue, 18's Single exhaust.
Nothing too fancy and exactly how I ordered it.
Took 4 months and 2 days and a lot of craziness, but worth it all.

Just passed 251 miles on it.
Going to work in Seattle at 5 am, last two days getting 36.4 36.3 today.
Driving home, lot worse commute, 28 mpg.
All in all, I am Stoked to have this Truck.

And that Duramax Jr. with the 10 speed, other than my old Jetta TDI, the most responsive/fluid Engine/Tranny pair I've ever driven.
Truly Great!

The Beave

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Congrats on the new ride!
(does this mean the one with the whine is gone?)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Congrats on the new ride!
(does this mean the one with the whine is gone?)
Thank You!!
No, that one is my Wifes. We just got the 10K oil change so I'll give it a few months if it still has it I'll take it in and have them look at it. It's not loud, but it's high frequency, and my hearing is very good in that region. So we'll see what happens. It drives normal, so all good there.
The Beave

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Two 3.0's sounds like a good thing.
Mine wants to stick with her Acadia...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Two 3.0's sounds like a good thing.
Mine wants to stick with her Acadia...
That's a nice rig. My Wife had the Traverse then decided she wanted the RST. Grandma's Badd Ass Truck indeed.
Don't mess with those Puyallup Girls........LOL
Beave

Reactions: redwngr

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello guys!
First week with Mary (what her name is) and it was a good week.
MPG………down half a tank from picking it up at the dealer and $92.00 later combined MPG is a very nice 25.8.
On my rides into Seattle in the morning, light traffic I topped 37.5 MPG on Friday!!!! 244 miles so far.
The ride is stupid good. Tight but Uber responsive. Acceleration and shifting is flawless, and I mean that, flawless. It drives like my Jetta manual, which is something. When you hit it it GOES, just like a manual, there’s no effort in it, even going up hills, it just goes……..

I just put it through Brown Bear car wash with the shammy’s and here are some new pictures of the Northsky Blue Metallic.
One thing that does bite about it is the stereo. I’m an FM kinda guy and it was VERY STUPID of GM to ge5 rid of the HD Radio. This FM radio sounds like Schiit. Bass is tuned for Rap, even with the midrange turned all the way down it’s still in your face, and the treble is, well, not really treble, it’s noise. One of the worse radios I’ve had. It’s obvious tuned for streaming and that does sound slightly better, but there is no naturalness to the sound, it sounds too clean and fake. My Wife’s RST with the HD radio really shined, night and day different. So on a $60K truck I got a schitty Stereo radio, which most of the times sounds like it’s mono and not stereo, and this is on the Bose Premium Speakers, and I know Bose, it’s not the speakers fault, it’s an under powered amp that’s goosed to sound good on teenager music.

So I’ll live with it because there’s nothing I can do to change it. But keeping the HD feature would have cost what GM…….$5.00?
But all in all, this thing rocks, and at a pre break in MOG of 25.8 I couldn’t be happier in these insane times for gas prices!

I’m still keeping my fingers crossed for everyone over at GMInside news waiting on getting their rigs.
I know it’s frustrating but it is worth it….
Take care and everyone stay safe!
The BeaVe

Attachments

Reactions: redwngr

·
Administrator
22,032 Posts
Hello guys!
First week with Mary (what her name is) and it was a good week.
MPG………down half a tank from picking it up at the dealer and $92.00 later combined MPG is a very nice 25.8.
On my rides into Seattle in the morning, light traffic I topped 37.5 MPG on Friday!!!! 244 miles so far.
The ride is stupid good. Tight but Uber responsive. Acceleration and shifting is flawless, and I mean that, flawless. It drives like my Jetta manual, which is something. When you hit it it GOES, just like a manual, there’s no effort in it, even going up hills, it just goes……..

I just put it through Brown Bear car wash with the shammy’s and here are some new pictures of the Northsky Blue Metallic.
One thing that does bite about it is the stereo. I’m an FM kinda guy and it was VERY STUPID of GM to ge5 rid of the HD Radio. This FM radio sounds like Schiit. Bass is tuned for Rap, even with the midrange turned all the way down it’s still in your face, and the treble is, well, not really treble, it’s noise. One of the worse radios I’ve had. It’s obvious tuned for streaming and that does sound slightly better, but there is no naturalness to the sound, it sounds too clean and fake. My Wife’s RST with the HD radio really shined, night and day different. So on a $60K truck I got a schitty Stereo radio, which most of the times sounds like it’s mono and not stereo, and this is on the Bose Premium Speakers, and I know Bose, it’s not the speakers fault, it’s an under powered amp that’s goosed to sound good on teenager music.

So I’ll live with it because there’s nothing I can do to change it. But keeping the HD feature would have cost what GM…….$5.00?
But all in all, this thing rocks, and at a pre break in MOG of 25.8 I couldn’t be happier in these insane times for gas prices!

I’m still keeping my fingers crossed for everyone over at GMInside news waiting on getting their rigs.
I know it’s frustrating but it is worth it….
Take care and everyone stay safe!
The BeaVe
It's a nice color package. I think they could have done better with chrome Silverado badging on the fenders to make it pop a little with the wheels

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's a nice color package. I think they could have done better with chrome Silverado badging on the fenders to make it pop a little with the wheels
I thought of that but my Wife’s RST has that and I thought the Black really makes it’s statement. And you don’t see many Black Essentials around, I’ve only seen one here in the past two months.
Thanks for looking at the pics though! I’m not boasting at all, just sharing the good vibes with my Diesel Friends!
Take care!
Beave

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, here’s a proper picture of what the Gloss Black badging looks like.
I made the right choice!

Attachments

·
Administrator
22,032 Posts
Reactions: gdog6979
1 - 17 of 17 Posts