Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the general did it again, we were going to work the other day, when i drove threw a snowbank crossing the hiway, it was about -50 with the wind chill and i had spoiler parts all over the road, it was a snowbank that should of caused no damage, but my bill was 1015 dollars after it was installed, and best of all the chrome corners of the inside of the bumber looked like the rust was so bad it was ready to rust threw the bumper, and this is a 03 with only one winter on it, it will be rusted out in 5 for sure,the auto body mechanic said this was his seventh spoiler this week he has done, and the parts men said they went threw 17 so last cold spell, this is crap gm, and you should carry recalls for this sort of sh*t

·
Registered
663 Posts
Fred,

$1015… Ouch!! Hope you insurance covered it… Is the spoiler your are referring to the gray plastic piece attached to the lower side of the bumper? I hit one of those hitch mounted carriers on another truck (didn't see it) in parking lot and damaged mine. I bought a replacement from DmaxAlliTech for less than $100. I also noticed rust on the inside of my front bumper when the truck was new but I sprayed it with AMSOIL heavy duty metal protector (cosmoline) and it hasn't rusted any more after 1 ½ winters. I also try to wash out the salt and sand that collects under the black plastic bumper cover. Seems like another place for rust to form…

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
fredw said:
the general did it again, we were going to work the other day, when i drove threw a snowbank crossing the hiway, it was about -50 with the wind chill and i had spoiler parts all over the road, it was a snowbank that should of caused no damage, but my bill was 1015 dollars after it was installed, and best of all the chrome corners of the inside of the bumber looked like the rust was so bad it was ready to rust threw the bumper, and this is a 03 with only one winter on it, it will be rusted out in 5 for sure,the auto body mechanic said this was his seventh spoiler this week he has done, and the parts men said they went threw 17 so last cold spell, this is crap gm, and you should carry recalls for this sort of sh*t
Are you talking about the front black plastic piece, that bolts on underneath the bumper,that also has holes were the fog lights go.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
There is a TSB out on your rust behind the bumper issue ~

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just put a bumper replacement on and put the factory POS in the shop! Problem solved!
If any one needs and 01 chevy bumper let me know.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
about what I paid for my road armor replacement bumper. imagine what that bumper WILL NOT protect if you hit somehting higher and have to start replacing grill and beyond.......

·
Registered
398 Posts
ShumDit said:
There is a TSB out on your rust behind the bumper issue ~

What is GM doing about it? Are they replacing the rusted bumpers?

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
THe tsb says bumper is NOT to be replaced, but removed, cleaned and a sealer or coating applied to the backside,, GM smacked our hands for replaceing a few of them and those are rusting again on the backside. Its just a coating that is put on to prevent it

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
dmaxalliTech said:
THe tsb says bumper is NOT to be replaced, but removed, cleaned and a sealer or coating applied to the backside,, GM smacked our hands for replaceing a few of them and those are rusting again on the backside. Its just a coating that is put on to prevent it

I take it that significant rust must already be in progress for the TSB. Is it something we can do ourselves before the rust starts? Expensive/special process/equipt?

·
Registered
754 Posts
I discovered the rust on mine when I took the bumper off to move it forward to fit the H2's. Didn't think much of it, just sanded, primed and painted the back myself. It would have been more trouble/time to take it in for me. I don't think putting a coating on will provide long term help, as the rust was rather extensive when I took it off.

Mike

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
The biggest complaint from customers was the rust showing through on the license plate bolt holes in the center. I think Amsoil makes a good product to keep the rust under control.. GM says to scuff it, tape it and shoot it with some type of rust proofer. Easily done at home with off the shelf stuff

1 - 12 of 12 Posts