Diesel Place banner

That didn't take long ...

5K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  chorizosdmax 
#1 · (Edited)
Didn't take long for them to make their move. I can't wait to see how this will all end.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/0...increase-for-power-stroke-v8-diesel.html#more

edit:
Crap I just saw this posted on another thread, sorry. The biggest thing I hope to come from all of this is the fuel economy war to pick up. It really feels like the deisel pickup guys have taken it hard in the rear end over the last 8 years. They come out with the duramax and there is finally something that can tow great and still give you good economy on a cheap fuel (at that time), it's a winner all the way around.
If the ford does put down those kind of numbers for fuel economy it really makes the initial purchase price easier to swallow. I hope this makes GM think about the 4.5 again. If the larger 6.7 can AVERAGE 28 mph on a 1,900 mile road trip (one editors trip from phoenix to chicago), then mid 30's is no problem for the 4.5 with a similar engine design. I think our best days are ahead of us boys; looks like I may buy a new diesel after all!

#3 ·
How much are the 2011 Ford/Gm trucks gonna cost with all the emissions requirements 55k-65k with a $1000+ truck payment................Better start calling your LOAN OFFICER

#4 ·
I'm sick of the HP/TQ wars. How about GM stating "yea, we only got 350HP and 650 FT LBS TQ but we also get 30mpg in a one ton dually". Who do you think would win then?

#5 ·
I'm sick of the HP/TQ wars. How about GM stating "yea, we only got 350HP and 650 FT LBS TQ but we also get 30mpg in a one ton dually". Who do you think would win then?
EXACTLY! I'd have no trouble paying $40,000+ for a truck that will last me for almost 300,000 miles and average 25-30 mpg it's entire life.

That is plenty of power to get the job done. Anything more is to get up the hill faster and burn more fuel. (not very necessary but really fun.)

#6 ·
It's all just advertising bullshit guys. Y'all know that.

#8 ·
what they predicting for fuel millage now? 15? 16? MPG...

chev.

#10 ·
so your saying that they are getting 23-26MPG?

chev.

#16 ·
its easy to get those numbers behind a tow truck. ;)... :D

#19 ·
Actual test data showed that the trucks were being pushed by an out of control Toyota with a stuck accelerator.....There is no possible way a truck of that weight and size can achieve those numbers in real life driving situations....

#20 ·
All agreeable points. I'm very interested to hear what the real world numbers come back some time in May or June from the first people that get them. (they're being released in April right?)

I'd expect the numbers to be closer to the 28mpg highway that was achieved on the 1900 mile trip, still very respectable.

#21 ·
What I don't understand is whenever I went to look at the new diesels (all the way back to 01) they never posted fuel millage for them. Why is that? As for the above On any trip over 100miles I get an average of 23MPG and on shorter trips it's about 18.

chev.

#22 · (Edited)
What I don't understand is whenever I went to look at the new diesels (all the way back to 01) they never posted fuel millage for them. Why is that?

chev.
Because the EPA regs do not govern vehicles above a certain weight rating. These 3/4 and 1 ton rigs are all effectively classed as commercial.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.