Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't remember who posted about the clay bar, but thanks! I ordered it from Zaino, plus their show car wax kit, and can't believe it. I had some swirl marks before that are completely gone, plus the paint is smooth as silk. I would definitely recommend this product for anyone who wants a high quality finish for their vehicle. Took a while for so many coats, but well worth it. I can't believe I had never heard of this product until I read this forum. The low res pics can't do it justice, it looks 10 times better in person.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I havent touched my truck since I zaino'd it last fall. Run it through the car wash once a week and comes out looking showroom new. No swirls, scuffs, nothing, nada. Must have for black trucks imho.

·
Registered
125 Posts
HD4fun said:
I can't remember who posted about the clay bar, but thanks!

Believe it was probably HD-Nate. He's been a Zaino user for years, along with me, who found out about it through the Corvette websites a few years ago ( www.corvetteforum.com ).

I try to clay-bar my vehicles at a miniumum once each year, followed by the Z1, Z2, Z5, etc program. I won't use anything else.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Must have for grey too.....and blue..white..red..etc. Zaino is by far the best i have used. I tried most of em before that. I realy like the leather stuff too.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NCMax,

Well thanks to you guys, then.
I'm definitely keeping with this stuff from now on. I noticed you use the Z-1. When I ordered my kit, there is a new product called ZFX accelerator that you put in the wax so you don't have to use the Z-1 any more. Have you tried this? Also, are you finding that the paint is crudded up with a lot of stuff every year when you re-clay bar? Living in Reno is like living in a dust storm. 15 minutes after washing your truck you can see the dust all over it. I guess what I'm asking is how well is the wax protecting the paint during that year?

Motovet,

I don't have any leather, but have you tried the tire gloss? If it's half as good as the wax, I'll be happy.

·
Registered
125 Posts
HD4fun said:
When I ordered my kit, there is a new product called ZFX accelerator that you put in the wax so you don't have to use the Z-1 any more. Have you tried this?

I have, and I believe you may have misunderstood the intent of the ZFX accelerator. It's an 'additive' that you put into the Z1 to shorten the time that it takes for it to dry - nothing more. It comes in a teeny-tiny little bottle, and for 20 bucks it (frankly) isn't worth the extra money. I have some in my garage now, but I won't buy any more when it's gone.

HD4fun said:
Also, are you finding that the paint is crudded up with a lot of stuff every year when you re-clay bar? I guess what I'm asking is how well is the wax protecting the paint during that year?

Moto, First, although you can't see him do it, Sal Zaino is cringing every time you use the word "wax" to describe Zaino products.
There's no wax in 'em. I don't know what it is, but I do know that it's not wax.

No matter how long you wait between clay jobs - be it every 6 months or once each year - you're going to be amazed at the gunk that the clay pulls off your paint. As long as you apply regular coats of Z2 and Z5, your paint will be as well protected as any paint can be in the harsh environment of the desert.

Their tire gloss is good, but I've found that Meguiar's "Endurance" is as good, and much less expensive.

I assume you're using Z6 gloss enhancer after each wash and Z2 or Z5 application, and washing the truck with Z7 car wash?..
Although Zaino costs a bit more, ok a lot more, than other car care products, I haven't found anything on the market that works as well as they do, and I've been cleaning (and detailing) cars/trucks/bikes for 40+ years.

Chris in NC

·
Registered
170 Posts
Like many...or some anyway...I've never heard of the stuff until here...where is a good place to purchase...Thanks

Joe

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NCMax,

Thanks for the Meguiars tip. I hope it is not silicone based? Silicone based products are miserable.

It states on Zaino's website that the ZFX accelerator is a substitute for Z-1. It is supposed to help the Z-2, Z-5 cure/bond/dry faster. That is how I understand it. The show car kit doesn't come with Z-1, just ZFX, and the instructions say that if you have the ZFX, you can skip the steps for applying the Z-1. I hope I did not screw this part up. Maybe I will try it with the z-1 next time so I can compare the results.

My application went like this: liquid dawn wash, clay bar, z-7 wash, z-5, z-6, z-5, z-6, z-2, z-6, z-2, z-6.

Good to know about the clay bar. My impression was that once you did it, that was it - a one time thing.

I did notice one thing though - it was a lot easier getting psyched up to wax my truck than it is now to wax my wife's Rodeo.

HD

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rangervx said:
Like many...or some anyway...I've never heard of the stuff until here...where is a good place to purchase...Thanks

Joe

rangervx,

As far as I know, this is an online product only (www.zainostore.com). I ordered online, and my kit was sent the same day. Great service. Be prepared for sticker shock. I ordered the show car kit (clay bar, z-2, z-5, z-6, z-7, zfx, mixing bottles, 3 applicators) $100+ with shipping, but it is super concentrated, so should last for a while.Edited by: HD4fun

·
Registered
125 Posts
rangervx said:

Joe, Zaino now takes Pay Pal. Check 'em out here:

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

While your there, be sure to check out the "Application" and "Tips and Tricks" sections. Lots of good info on what Zaino products are, how to apply them for the best results, and what to expect.

Hope that helps. (I think I'll apply to become a Zaino distributor)

Chris

·
Registered
125 Posts
HD4fun said:
It states on Zaino's website that the ZFX accelerator is a substitute for Z-1. It is supposed to help the Z-2, Z-5 cure/bond/dry faster. That is how I understand it.

HD, Sorry, mate, my error - ZFX may be used "in place" of Z1, as long as you use it as an additive in Z2 or Z5 (not as an additive in Z1 as I mis-posted above).

For those who're curious, go to ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator Additive to read exactly what it is.

In fact, if you look at the four small containers in the photo, and then look inside the small container on the left, you'll see that little teeny-tiny 2ml bottle that I mentioned in my post above - that's what the ZFX comes in. Tain't much of it for 20 bucks...

Chris in NC

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I do use the Zaino tire gloss. I like it better than the Meguires and others I have tried because it seems to have a more natural look. I have used most of the Zaino products for the last two years, it's all good. The ZFX works well in more humid places such as where I live, to speed up the dry time and allow more coats to be applied in less time. Who said "wax"?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've been using Zaino on my Viper for about 3 years now--it's great stuff!

As far as the ZFX is concerned, it really helps speed the whole process up from the way the system used to work. Previously, you had to wait 24 hours between coats of Z2 or Z5. Now with the accelerator, you can apply a coat of Z2 or Z5, wipe it off and immediately apply another coat. Even though the ZFX is $20 for a small container, it goes a long way. I still have about a half bottle after about a year of use.

The best part about Zaino is that it's easy to put on and doesn't require a lot of elbow grease to remove it. It's not like wax where you really have to buff it out to get a good shine.

Good stuff!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts