Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 1987 R30 is getting a transplant. The 454/TH400 combined with 4.56 gears just isn't a great combination for any distance driving (9mpg average keeping the speeds down to 60-65), so after considering options I am swapping in a NV4500. A 6.5 is also in the plans for later. This swap will be exactly the same for a 6.2/6.5 equipped truck (except for the flywheel and clutch physical parts).

While I wanted to go with a 95-later due to slightly better ratios, a super deal came up on a 1993 version that was behind a 6.5 and I got the trans, bellhousing, flywheel, clutch and a bunch of misc goodies for a price too low to discuss here. The '93 bellhousing has the external slave mounted low on the passenger side. On 4wd trucks this can cause clearance issues with the driveshaft - I don't have that issue on my 2wd chassis.

Found a clutch/brake pedal assembly local for the hydroboost and hydraulic brake combination locally for my chassis. They are getting hard to find. Expect to pay $300+ on ebay.

The '93 clutch master won't work on my body, and the '87 slave won't work on the '93 bellhousing, so I needed a way to connect the M12x1 BBL fitting on the master to the o-ring/rollpin setup on the slave.
-Russell 640281 to convert the '93 slave cylinder to AN3.
-Classic Tube SBH8078 to convert the 12mm x 1.0 BBL master cylinder to AN3.
Those 2 fittings will allow you to connect the 80's master to the 90's external slave using a AN3 line.

Ordered up new master and slave from RockAuto. Went with the Wagner master and the Luk slave.

Still need to order up a flywheel. clutch, TO bearing, pilot bearing and trans mount.

I have read that the trans will fit under the floor without issues and also read that I'll need to cut and install a high-hump floor. We'll see shortly. I have a road rally in 4 weeks and need to have this done by then. I'll post up pics as I go along.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Turns out the Classic Tube fitting doesn't have enough thread to seat against the bottom of the hole in the master cylinder. The solution was a brass fitting that converted the 12mmx1.0 BBL to a 10mmx1.0 BBL. The 10mm is much more common on brake fittings giving me a larger selection on finding a fitting to convert to AN. Additionally the 10mm section of the brass fitting is much more shallow than the 12mm hole on the master, allowing a 10x1BBL>AN3 conversion fitting to properly seat and seal.

EDD-267000 brass fitting 12x1 male bbl to 10x1 female bbl(Summit)
ERL-
592032ERL 10mmx1.0 to AN3 (Summit)

Found many posts about high-hump floors and people using the more common 4wd hump and modifying the hump and/or floor to work on the 2wd cab. I found a 2wd high-hump and test fitting it lays nicely on the floor so I just need to cut the hole.

Other parts acquired so far -
LUK LFW102 flywheel (Rockauto)
ARP-100-2801 flywheel bolts (Summit)
ARP-130-2201 pressure plate bolts(Summit)
NAL-10046031 flywheel locating dowel pin(Summit)
CTF-53010 clutch alignment tool(Summit)
SUM-900178 flywheel turning/holding tool (not necessary, just always wanted one)
(Summit)
NATIONAL 57080 pilot bearing(Rockauto)

I wanted to run a Centerforce 1 clutch setup, but they didn't offer it as a kit. Actually worked out OK because I found their expensive throwout bearings are just a National part number that can be purchased anywhere for less than half of what Centerforce charges for it.

NTL-614018 throw out bearing (Summit)
CTF-CF361909 pressure plate (Summit)
CTF-384024 organic clutch disk (summit)

Note the flywheel and clutch pressure plate are specific to my 454. All other parts are the same as their 6.2/6.5 counterparts.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finally got around to getting all the parts in. Pictures incoming. Fairly straightforward swap. Biggest headache has been the hydraulics for the clutch. The 12mm to 10mm adapter wasn't machined deep enough for the tapers to seal against each other, so I had to drill it out slightly to get contact. Now it looks like it is leaking between the clutch master and the adapter. I just ordered a 12mmx1.0 x AN3 banjo fitting to see if it seals.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts