Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone? Techniques? Types of smokers you use or recommend? I've done some with my gas grill and had a little luck with it. But I've never been able to get my briquette smoker to give good smoke. I'd like to hear your methods and suggestions. I'm making the BBQ joints in Billings, Mt rich. I need to start doing this my own damn self. :D

CWB

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Throw a couple of pecan limbs about 1 1/2" dia. on with your coals. Will make really good smoke. Does good when grilling steaks too.

·
Registered
94 Posts
we actually compete in the bbq circuit so recipes/techniques are closely guarded secrets.;) I'm the "goan-git'r" on our cook team so I'm not closely involved with the cooking.

all our cookers are custom built in-directs. we don't do much in the way of smoke like texans do but we do toss in some citrus wood to the firebox for a little added flavor.

for gas grills you can buy little smoke chip packages that you set on the grill (not in teh flame), saw some at home depot the other day. never used them myself but a buddy swears by them.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
What I do to make a good smoked brisket is soak hickory chips or pieces in water overnight. The next morning I place them on the element of an electric smoker. I wait till it's smoking good and put the meat in for 1 hour.
Then take it out of the smoker and cook it in the oven covered with foil (vented) at about 260* for the rest of the day.
Not only will you have some delicious BBQ, but your house will smell like a BBQ joint.. :)

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Yep, soaking the wood in water really makes a difference.

For a smoked chicken...apple wood is awesome. I know it sounds strange, but it tastes awesome.

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
Soaking wood chips in water is the way to go. The wife and I tried to make wine last year and we failed, BUT it makes good wood soaking liquid for the BBQ (I use a gas grill), plus add some wine to the smoke box for a good smoky flare.

·
Registered
581 Posts
If you have a Weber gas grill you can buy a smoker accessory that comes with a stainless chip box that fits on one end and they give you a narrower grate.

It holds a lot of chips and will produce good smoke for a long time if you soak the chips as others have said.

I make Memphis Hogaholics ribs about twice a month on it and they are THE BEST baby backs I have ever tasted. Do a search for the recipe. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
you can buy those little metal woodchip boxes, or use a piece of foil, with fork holes in it as a smoke box too. don't forget to soak the woodchips

A friend of mine built a BBQ island in the backyard, with a bar, stools, palapas cover, the whole nine yards. before he laid the foundation, he dug a sort of deep pit with cement walls. he then added a 5 in metal pipe at the top of the pit cylinder and had it go up diagonally to where his gas grill was going on the island. the pit is just to the left of the island, and the pipe inters the island and goes into the bottom of his gas grill

he gets a big ragen fire going in the pit, puts the metal lid on, and all the smoke and heat are deferred through the gas grill. we smoked some tri tips and ribs all freekin day, continually basting them in bbq sauce

after :drinking: all day, tending tothe fire and the meat, then getting to eat the end result kinda made me feel like a caveman!!!

·
Registered
270 Posts
I just soak hickory chips in water for at least an hour and put them directly on top of the charcoal. Put more on about every hour or so.

·
Registered
648 Posts
For recipes and an excellent FAQ for beginners, http://new.cbbqa.com/faq/index.html

See pix of my pit attached. Pit originally made by my father in law (in Cut 'n Shoot, TX) 15 yrs ago. I modified 3 yrs ago to add stainless steel firebox, slide-out grates, and heat baffles that keep temperature across pit very consistent. (READ: No meat rotation required!)

I use well seasoned red oak. Alot of people tout the quality of hickory, but be warned: the smoke is bitter if you leave the bark on, especially for long cooking times like for pulled pork or brisket. I agree that apple and pecan woods offer nice flavor, either of which I'll add in the last hour of cooking for aroma, etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
270 Posts
RIBS:
Smoke ribs bone down on the smoker for 3 hours. Remove from the grill.
Sprinkle Tony Chachere's on both sides of the rack of ribs. Coat with light brown sugar on both sides and wrap ribs in tin foil. Put back on the smoker for 3 hours meat side down.
Remove and enjoy!!!

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
I like to soak my chips in Jack Daniels for atleast 24 hours.

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
Ya'll are making me hungry..

·
Registered
270 Posts
Chicken:
Quarter whole chickens and salt heavily (most salt will run off into the water pan on the smoker).
Smoke chickens until the skin starts to get dry. Coat heavily with sauce about 3 different times until chicken is done.

Sauce:
4 cups apple cider vinegar
2 cups canola oil
2 TBSP Garlic Salt
1 TSP Cayenne Pepper
1 TSP Tabasco
Mix together with a wire whisk

·
Registered
12,950 Posts
What I do to make a good smoked brisket is soak hickory chips or pieces in water overnight. The next morning I place them on the element of an electric smoker. I wait till it's smoking good and put the meat in for 1 hour.
Then take it out of the smoker and cook it in the oven covered with foil (vented) at about 260* for the rest of the day.
Not only will you have some delicious BBQ, but your house will smell like a BBQ joint.. :)
Yep, soaking the wood in water really makes a difference.

For a smoked chicken...apple wood is awesome. I know it sounds strange, but it tastes awesome.
Soaking wood chips in water is the way to go. The wife and I tried to make wine last year and we failed, BUT it makes good wood soaking liquid for the BBQ (I use a gas grill), plus add some wine to the smoke box for a good smoky flare.
I just soak hickory chips in water for at least an hour and put them directly on top of the charcoal. Put more on about every hour or so.
If you use GREEN wood, it is not necessary to soak it........of course, you can not buy the green hickory, etc at the store, like you can the chips.:D
I am lucky enough to have plenty of hickory and pecan on my property.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
If you use GREEN wood, it is not necessary to soak it........of course, you can not buy the green hickory, etc at the store, like you can the chips.:D
I am lucky enough to have plenty of hickory and pecan on my property.
You got that right. I am not that lucky. I have to take what I can get. So, soak it for me. If I could get some green wood sometime, I would be interested to see if it smokes different and see what works better.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ya'll are making me hungry..
And How!:D

Now I have a project for the remainder of the winter... More recipies, please.

Oh here's something for a different smokey flavor... I'll run a hose from the DuraMax to my Grill! :help: NOT. But it is funny.):h Keep 'em comin' guys...

CWB

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have an apple tree that makes few apples. So it pays me back every time I BBQ. 22" Webber ~$70 on sale, loaf pan full of water, small fire in the corner next to the pan. someone already said indirect heat, put the meat on the other side from the fire. make a suitable rub outa stuff you like on yer meat. squirt with apple juice from time to time, checking on the fire or adding smoke wood. Enjoy:)

EDIT: learned most of this helping others then finding what I like. do a search for white BBQ sause it adds a new twist to stuff

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Some like a dry rub. What I do to my brisket is sprinkle it with season salt, lots of pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and paprika. Rub that in good. Then squirt the meat down with ballpark mustard. Rub that in. Then coat it in a good BBQ sauce. Let it sit overnight covered in the fridge and smoke it the next morning.
Try it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts