Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tested the GT3788R kit from Garrett yet? I am looking for realistic numbers, HP over stock turbo with a modified truck, ET's and/or trap speeds. I got my hands on a compressor map and it doesn't look like much of an increase over stock.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Jim659 is running one as far as I know. The 3788R is not much larger than the factory turbo chargers but flows better and has a less restictive exhaust housing than the stocker does.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking at the compressor maps the GT3788R and the GT4088R have the same compressor wheel and map. The GT40 I guess has a slightly bigger turbine wheel and a less restrictive non wastegated exhaust housing. I wonder how much those small changes are worth on the dyno or the track. I am debating on whether just going with the GT3788R kit or stepping up to a GT42. I don't feel the the GT40 is worth the extra aggravation over the GT3788R unless someone can prove me wrong. I am just going by paper data and I know real world data is entirely diiferent thing. The reason why I started this post in the first place.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
compare the map on the 4094

the 4088 has made 600+hp on fuel

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At what boost was the GT4088 at to make 600 hp?

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
IIRC 34, McRat was the one that did it

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
I made 670rwhp with a GT4088 and ran 11.89 at LACR. IIRC, it only made 34PSI at the dragstrip.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Id think the 3788 would be too much like stock and not much of an improvement. Definately check out the 4088 and the 4092.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Was that an out of the box GT4088 or a "massaged" one? I assume it was not wastegated so I guess it was with one of the larger A/R housings. Do you think the GT3788R would be able to make 600 hp at around 40 psi boost or is the exhaust side going to choke it?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
racinmike77;1603656; said:
Id think the 3788 would be too much like stock and not much of an improvement. Definately check out the 4088 and the 4092.
The 3788 and the 4088 have the same compressor wheel. The only difference between the two is the size of the turbine wheel and exhaust housing. The 3788 is using a .99 A/R wastegated housing. I am not sure what A/R housing is being used on the 4088's.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
The Garrett GT3788R kit is wastegated

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes I know. They don't offer the GT40 or GT42 series in wastegated form.

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
It was an off-the-shelf PPE system. You would have to talk to them about turbine hsg options.

After driving the GT4094, I think it would be a "street" choice.

An LLY has a 88mm compresser from the factory (AVNT37) with a .9x turbine hsg. Not sure a GT37 is going to be big enough for performance apps. Garrett made this same mistake with their 7.3 Ford kits from what I heard. Not big enough to justify the swap.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know PPE is marketing turbo install kits but does anyone know if they are offering the correct water fittings for a ball bearing turbo as a kit option?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
McRat;1603736; said:
It was an off-the-shelf PPE system. You would have to talk to them about turbine hsg options.

After driving the GT4094, I think it would be a "street" choice.

An LLY has a 88mm compresser from the factory (AVNT37) with a .9x turbine hsg. Not sure a GT37 is going to be big enough for performance apps. Garrett made this same mistake with their 7.3 Ford kits from what I heard. Not big enough to justify the swap.
Thanks that is the info I am looking for. I'd like to be able to run in the low 12's and still drive everyday with a little towing here and there, nothing real heavy.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
JrTuner;1603737; said:
I know PPE is marketing turbo install kits but does anyone know if they are offering the correct water fittings for a ball bearing turbo as a kit option?

Our 40 series turbo kits come with all the parts needed for the install. Its a True Bolt on kit, we offer the 40/88 and the 40/94's. Let me know if you have anymore questions...

Dan

·
Registered
175 Posts
I was in the same boat and was trying to decide between GT4094 or GT4202. I decided to go with the 42 with a tighter housing hopeing I will be ok towing a 4 place snowmobile or 24' camp trailer. I figured I would rather know that the 42 is to big than go with the 40 and always wonder if I should have gone bigger, I am in the process of building all of the hardware so I wont know for a few weeks.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Hoefully our truck will make over 600 RWHP on fuel with the GT4088R too, I would choose the GT40 over the the GT37R. It is also a good towing turbo, and street, with almost instantanious spool up, and an incredible top end.

·
Registered
175 Posts
[email protected];1606632; said:
Our 40 series turbo kits come with all the parts needed for the install. Its a True Bolt on kit, we offer the 40/88 and the 40/94's. Let me know if you have anymore questions...

Dan
Dan building all the hardware is taking a little more time than I thought, do you sell any peices of the kit seperatly. For those who are interested the kit is worth every penny.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.