Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the easiest way to test the PSI of my lift pump? I'm in the market for a re-flashed ECM and I'm told for it to work properly my lift pump needs to be able to push at least 3 psi at full throttle.

If I hadn't just replaced it in Oct. last year I would just buy a HD pump from one of the various suppliers.

The pump I put in is a Carter, if anyone knows the PSI rating for it. I've tried to search the web for specs but can't find anything.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Banned
9,366 Posts
Get yerself a little pressure gauge (princess auto) and some rubber or teflon tubing ... stick the gauge in one end, stick the other end onto the T-handle drain, and tape the gauge to your windshield wiper. Open the T handle, shut the hood, and go for a tear... read gauge.

Make sure you have all the diesel off your hands, the tape, and the tubing before you drive away, or half-way through your drive you'll have to stop and re-tape the slightly beserk gauge which is flapping along in the wind, threatening to break your windshield.

Don't ask me how I know this.

·
Banned
9,366 Posts
J/K... you can tell right quick just sitting there... at idle, you'll have pressure. When you have somebody rev, it'll drop precipitously. Mine went to nearly zero. New lift pump time. Now it's great... never drops like that.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I read about your adventure/mis-adventure with the gauge taped to the wiper when I did a search. :)

I figured testing at the T-Valve was the way to do it, but I wanted to be sure. Now only if Princess Auto would have their vac/pressure gauge in stock! I'll go check again tomorrow.

Thanks!

Dave

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Unless you got the HO lift pump, no use testing that October's child - test is for volume/time and pressure at idle, and that one probably won't make 3psi full throttle.

Don't let that stop you, tho - get the reflash and drive normally.................IF YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:muahaha:..............:muahaha:

·
Registered
771 Posts
Its on special at Princess Auto, I think 10$, my favorite place to shop.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gmctd;1566385; said:
Unless you got the HO lift pump, no use testing that October's child - test is for volume/time and pressure at idle, and that one probably won't make 3psi full throttle.

Don't let that stop you, tho - get the reflash and drive normally.................IF YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:muahaha:..............:muahaha:
If my pump won't produce the required psi (which is sounds like it won't) will I just not get the full potential of the re-flash until I get a HO pump?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Post the percentage of time you drive at full throttle, so I can factor that data in my answer, eh?

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gmctd;1566557; said:
Post the percentage of time you drive at full throttle, so I can factor that data in my answer, eh?
How about less than 1 percent....eh. :)

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Dave12;1566577; said:
How about less than 1 percent....eh. :)
I wish I could say that, I would have some really good MPG's then:cool:
My foot is just too heavy though.:D

Mark:beerchug:

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Un-believeable! Getcher relflash and stuff it in there - enjoy it the other 99% of the time!

That way, you'll always have something to post about.................

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
jifaire;1566582; said:
LOL, Dave ... you done playing with gmctd yet? Careful what you ask for... the answers sometimes have sharp edges...
But he does know his $hit though.;) It's worth taking a "stab" every now and then:) .

Mark:beerchug:

·
Banned
9,366 Posts
Absolutely ... fun to read, too. Hey Dave! Get back up! ROFL

You put a Heath reflash in that thing, you'll want to try REAL hard to make that lift pump run outta fuel... just as a scientific experiment, of course.

Not saying you would enjoy racing around like that...

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jifaire;1566609; said:
Absolutely ... fun to read, too. Hey Dave! Get back up! ROFL
Oh...what...wait a second. Are you trying to tell me he was being sarcastic? Damn...completely missed that...eh....wees knot two s-m-r-t hear in Ont-air-e-o. :)

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I have a permanent electric gauge installed in the cab. I see 3 psi at idle and cruise. It drops to 1 psi or slightly less under hard acceleration. I may be considering the new Heath Diesel lift pump. I already have their reflashed PCM and love it. Their new pump is supposed to put out around 8-10 psi, if I recall.

Jake

1 - 16 of 16 Posts